Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OPW and projected cost of 442K for Modular Homes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Absolute disgrace, but nobody will be held accountable as usual. The OPW bypassed normal procurement procedures as Mr ROG's department had a timeframe for delivery 😂😂. Why can the Department of Integration ignore the rules, cost hundreds of millions in tax money, and RO'G keeps hiding any time there's a problem. Wasn't around to answer any questions when people were protesting or before the referendum. He'll be missing this time too. As for the OPW - someone in that department thinks they're playing monopoly and needs to be fired.

https://www.thejournal.ie/cost-of-modular-homes-for-ukrainian-refugees-more-than-double-as-some-deadlines-missed-by-years-6500701-Sep2024/

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭plodder

Personally, I think these failures are partly at the political level, but they are definitely also at the public servant level also.

As Cormac Lucey pointed out on Brendan O'Connor's program the other day, public servants get paid the same whether they deliver a project on time, within budget, or whether it goes wildly over budget like this one. It's not their money they are spending.

So, what could possibly go wrong with a publicly owned house building company, as suggested by other parties?

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Havenowt

The modular home BER rating was expected to be A2… but what a surprise they were found to be only C1 leading to further costs to upgrade this. I'm sure every project the OPW are involved in goes this was..

Post edited by Beasty on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how much of this might boil down to a lot of these projects being signed off by people not used to negotiating contracts?

i've seen that happen in multinational corporations - even with what you think is a large company, when they sign a deal with the likes of IBM or (insert other massive monolith) they're going into a deal with a corporation who will have everything buttoned down tight and know how to negotiate a contract.

maybe we need the proposed department of infrastructure to fix this aspect; teams of well trained people whose job it is to make sure everything is buttoned down tight for the state.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What it's largely down to is public procurement rules being set up to more or less guarantee cost overruns in public projects.

The problem is this. In an attempt to prevent cronyism, favouritism, etc, public procurement law, both in Ireland and elsewhere, typically requires the state to accept the lowest tender, or offer clear, objectively demonstrable reasons for preferring a higher tender.

This means that, to get the contract, you have to bid the lowest tender price. It is not worth your while participating in the tender process unless you are aiming to do that.

How do you get your price down as low as possible? With conditions and contingencies.

In principle it's acceptable to make your tender subject to conditions about future events that you can't control or manage. Let's say you're bidding now to, say, install and erectmodular houses over the course of 2025. You're going to have to pay whatever the going rate for labour is over the course of 2025. You're going to have to pay the market price for all your inputs, most of which are imported. Etc, etc. So, to price your bid, you have to make assumptions about what pay rates in the construction trade will be next year, what the exchange rate of the euro against the dollar and the yuan will be over the course of 2025, and so forth. Plus there may be aspects of the design of the project that are not yet finalised; you have to make assumptions about how they will be finalised. Etc, etc. And your tender specifies that, for each assumption which is not borne out in practice, the contract price will be adjusted.

So, you make (and state) a series of aggressively optimistic assumptions about pay inflation, price inflation, exchange rate movements, supply chain issues, relevant weather conditions, design decisions, etc, etc. Individually, each assumption is defendable, if optimistic. But, collectively, they are fairly improbable; it's possible that every single one of your very optimistic assumptions will prove to be exactly right, but it's freakishly unlikely. Therefore signficant contract price adjustments are, in practice, inevitable.

Of course the customer reviews the assumptions and can see that they are, in aggregate, wildly optimistic. But so what? This is not an objectively defensible basis for preferring one of the other tenders, since all the tenders are price on the basis of a similar wild optimism.

This, basically, is why public procurement projects always, always, always, experience signficant cost overruns. Of course other factors can come into play that mean even more cost overruns; I am not suggesting that this is a complete explanation of every cost overrun. But it does provide a solid foundation of virtually guaranteed cost overruns on on public procument projects.

Post edited by Beasty on

The bike shed was acquired under a framework agreement. So maybe this project was as well. I can see a lot of what you describe happening more under such a system rather than fixed price tenders.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭fliball123

Something has to be done here the current system of politicians short term goals to be re-elected which means their eye is firmly off the ball with regards to the day to day running of the country and the fact that for decades now our perm-government, semi-states, government depts and our civil/public servants have been reckless with regards to spending our cash and can no longer be trusted to spend our tax take. There needs to be some kind of publicly viewable road map with the main point/focus being full transparency and a full view of the costs and contracts at a timely fashion for people to comment/advise/criticize what our money is being spent on. The road map needs to happen before the likes of the OPW are allowed spend like drunks in a strip club again. There is as much if not more expertise out there in the general public with regards to budgets, tendering and spending then there is in these closed off institutions where there is zero accountability.

The other side of this is tomorrow we have a budget and its all smoke and mirrors will FF/FG/Greenie try to buy your vote remember its your money they are buying it with in the first place. These knobs will throw a big can of kerosene on an already on fire economy with the likes of the apple tax, AIB share sales meaning we have a huge suplus but the fact is taking these ones off monies coming in and our corpo tax out of the equation currently we have a deficit of over 4billion. It will be interesting how much larger this deficit will be after tomorrow as the current govenment are not listening to advice on paying current expenditure from one offs or a burgeoning tax take from one sector as in corpo tax. I mean this played out back in 2007/8 when we based our current expenditure on the stamp duty receipts thinking this would be forever more so its not like they have not seen it before. If Trump gets in and gives the top 10 companies who pay the majority of corpo tax in this country any kind of a deal the country could be in schitz creek again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,223 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Don't forget the childrens hospital contracts were also timed to buy an election and our health system by complete coincidence is in tatters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Gombeen Men to the OPW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

We are 100% a Gombeenocracy, bound by the laws of Gombeenomics - to the few connected, a free run at the trough funded by the taxpayer.

It's a racket right out of the Mafia.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My partner was looking at renting the old AIB on Baggot St for work, pipped by the HSE who outbid everyone substantially and paid hugely over market rents a few years ago. It was mental. You should look up who owns it and who their kid is married to if you want to get really annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

are they planning to put in a security hut too?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

Also, really simply, why not buy mobile homes. Underlying infrastructure would have been the same cost but new mobiles are very nice, well insulated, cheap to run. Would have brought the cost down by 75% to get luxury ones, and they would have had some market value after the fact in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

sure shtick in an awl security hut too there while your at it

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

If someone could get hold of the spec. for one modular home. Then find a quantity surveyor to price it, then we'd know what the true price of building one should be, whether lower or not. The figure would have to show a separate cost for labour building it, and also the purchase of the land to build it on. According to https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2024/0905/1427931-ireland-building-costs-new-houses/ a 3-bed in greater Dublin costs €461,000. How do these modular homes compare with a 3-bed house? Would they have the same space, facilities etc? Would be interesting to know.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭StormForce13

Just look at footnote b in post # 15 above. The expenditure was approved by Rodders O'Gormless who knows about as much about construction costs as I know about playing blow football with my backside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Didn't the Department of Health move into the Old BOI HQ on Baggot street?

Government departments and local authorities are out bidding businesses and also people in all walks of life. Just look at the Local Authorities buying up houses at the expense of people looking to purchase a home. To me the Government departments, Civil and Public sectors are like the wild west and you can bet FF and FG will do nothing to reign them in. They really don't care until there is blow back on them.

The only way really to stop this waste of money is to punish the government at the ballot box and keep doing it till they get the message that it is not acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Is it possible though for the ordinary person to get planning permission for one?

Sorry, it was BOI. Rented it, my partners company offered the going rate plus extra for a fairly long lease and contingencies for inflation to increase rent over time. DoH (not HSE) came in and outbid them by 2X the market rate, with several staff giving out due to the location making a commute a f*cking nightmare. Absolute madness, rented from a man who should have been jailed, and would have been if he was someone else for his behaviour during the BSE crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes, there's loads of modular homes that are fully compliant with planning and building regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

How on earth can the solicitors that work for the Government not create a tender for a contract that stipulates that there is a FIXED cost for the end product, any cost over runs have to be borne by the supplier.

There always seems to be an open ended cheque book where the supplier is protected from any cost overruns and the state has to bear the "unexpected" costs ?

Because tenderers won't bid for a contract of any size or duration on the basis of a fixed price, with no contingencies in which it can be increased. They'd be mad to; they'd be running the risk of bankruptcy every time they accepted a public contract.

So this has been tried multiple times resulting in lots of failed tenders? Do you remember the headline .. Government tenders for €1 billion fixed price hospital and there were NO bidders ???

Anyway if this happened, it should initiate a second round of sliding scale tenders where the risk was shared, firstly 90% of the risk on the supplier .. if that tender failed 80% risk for the supplier etc etc

That way the winning supplier is enticed to keep costs low, the alternative encourages the supplier to INCREASE costs.

A supplier ALWAYS has to account for contingency in a private job, if they cant estimate properly they are inept and go bankrupt, public tenders SHOULD be no different IMO.

Look at this example of a dutch wind power supplier in America, where it got its math wrong and had to take a €472 million loss on the project forcing its CFO and COO to step down

"The company behind the giant Hornsea windfarms off the Yorkshire coast said the construction delay would contribute to an impairment cost of 3.2bn Danish kroner ($472m) in its second-quarter financial results. Within weeks of laying bare the company’s financial turmoil, its chief financial officer, Daniel Lerup, and chief operating officer, Richard Hunter, agreed to step down with immediate effect because the company needed “new and different capabilities”."

In Ireland we would have cut a cheque and pushed a hand wringing politician in front of the public to explain how it could never have been forseen that the M50 would get so busy etc etc

Post edited by celtic_oz at

Private commercial building contracts also include contingency provisions under which the price may (and does) increase. This is absolutely standard in commercial construction contracting.

The difference, as already pointed out, is that in the public procurement system tenderers are encouraged — required, even — to load as much as possible into the contingency provisions in order to have the lowest possible headline price on the tender.

You say that like Moses ordained the practice and sure lets throw our hands in the air and continue that way.

The American tax payer was protected in the example I gave above and theres no reason we can't do that here.

Construction contracts always have contingency provisions. That's just the global market practice, and there's nothing the Irish government can do about it. And on the face of it it's not unreasonable; why would you expect a building company to insure you against the financial consequences of a pandemic in China or a blockage of the Suez Canal?

In the example you give the construction firm lost out because they didn't have the right contingency clause for the event which occurred. That was their stuff-up, which is why the senior management had to resign. There is nothing the Irish government can do to force tenderers to stuff up in that fashion.

What governments could do is take a tougher line on negotiating contingency clauses — e.g. "we won't agree to a contingency clause that lets you put up the price if labour costs rise by more than 3%; you have to bear the risk of wage inflation up to 10%". And then a tough negotiation follows. And similarly with contingencies about the price of other inputs, etc.

Note that this would result in less cost overruns (or, at least, cost overruns of smaller amounts) but it wouldn't necessarily mean cheaper buildings — the tender price will be higher to start with if the tenderer has to carry more risk. If he has to stick to the contract price if his costs rise by 10%, then he's going to set a contract price that will still give him an acceptable profit if costs rise by 10%.

The sordid truth is that politicians prefer tenders with low headline prices at the expense of large cost overruns; when you want to announce the project, or budget for it, it helps to be able to quote the low, low price that you have negotiated. So they have no particular incentive to change the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,095 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was not the least bit surprised to see the final cost of these double. It seems to be the norm lately.

From now on, if the OPW get a quote for any job, they should immediately add between 50% and 100% on to the estimate, that way if it comes in under budget, they can publicise it and take the praise. And if it costs the quote+X%, then they can say it came in on budget.

I've used a contract like that myself. Contingencies are real and often result in some level of increased cost. But, what you are describing is different.

You're saying that the client (ie public servants, and their political bosses) are conspiring with contractors to rip off the tax payer by deliberately underestimating the headline price, at the cost of seriously unpredictable contingency. If you have evidence of this, why don't you send it to The Ditch, or someone else in the media?

I can understand a contractor wanting to do it, but no rational client spending their own money would want it. The client is going to want as much of the project covered by a fixed price, and as little as possible as contingency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Do you honestly think if any of the other parties were in charge there would suddenly be accountability?

You clearly have very little understanding of how government/public service works.

• Advertisement

Thats not really the kind of question to be answered we all know its the perma gov doing this not the people elected and something has to change. Going forward the OPW, HSE and other state dept and semi states that are in control of public monies need to be held accountable the best way to do that is by changing the law that if the minister who is directly in charge of this spend (and there is one who is supposed to be looking over different pots of public monies) would lose their pensions up to the amount of monies wasted we would see a drastic change in attituded same goes with the employee within these un-elected bodies if their pension and job for life were someway in peril if it was found they recklessly spent without any care for value for money it would put some manners on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭creedp

No doubt the perma Govt aid and abet their political masters but to suggest the poor little nieve Minister doesn't know what their Depts staff are spending the money on is either equally nieve or deliberately giving a pass to the politicians

I doubt they have their fingers on the pulse for day to day their main objective is to be re-elected not the day to day. This I believe is part of the issue. The minister blames the perma gov and the perma gov blame the minister both have plausible deniability and blame cannot be squarely put on either party. There needs to be a firming up of the process with the line minister who is in charge of their spend signing off on all expenditure and if they don't bother looking at it and it turns out say the OPW pay 2 million for a clothes line (you never know they might pay 3 million for it) then their pension is up for grabs. This would leave the minister on the hook responsible and financially at a loss if they don't do their job correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭db

Price Variations in construction are nothing new. Each skilled and non-skilled job in the sector has an hourly rate and a claim can be made for any increase sanctioned throughout the contract. The same for materials, the tender will specify the price for each material used in the project and any increase over the tender price has to be agreed. Price variation claims should be calculated each month and submitted along with the monthly valuation before payment is made.

This is standard practice for a QA so while increases will happen they should be similar to the rate of inflation and have a full paper trail. Variations of 100% that are not itemised are not normal in properly managed construction projects.

Advertisement