Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I agree, I'm definitely not on a downer on our season so far, very happy with the way things are going. But some teams have been comically bad against us too, UTD, Milan and Wolves spring to mind. So I'm cautious optimistic.

I still don't think Slot can be truly judged until he's given a few transfer windows. I still feel we are caught in a mix of systems, some of the way Slot likes us to play, mixed with some of the old Klopp ways. But I think that's purely down to the players he has at his disposal. So I'm curious to see how he wants to progress the squad to his liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Trent has always been a good defender, it's a lazy narrative saying otherwise by people who don't understand the position he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It is interesting, so far someone like Mainoo has gotten very little negative feedback so far even if he was part of the midfield of a team that gave away the most shots in the league and allowed all teams to just walk through the midfield last season. I guess people are happy to see that it is not always the player but the position he is put in….until it comes to Trent and where he found himself with Klopp's teams, out of position and high up the field. Expecting him to defend from that position is unrealistic.

Both things could be true at the same time, terrible defender and out of position, but I am not sure pundits or posters gave enough credence to where Trent was expected to play under Klopp. His frailties on defense was not always because he was bad, it was by design and the way we played.

Post edited by Enzokk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair, i do think there is a certain allowance for Mainoo being a teenager.

It does get mentioned that he's poor out of possession and needs a good DM beside him to let him work properly as an 8, but that's ok with someone that young who's still learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

TAA has had more than a few shocking defensive moments over the years. I'm not referring to being caught up the pitch and being done by a counter attack, simple lack of awareness in defensive situations such as there is a player looking to attack a cross behind him, letting an attacker turn inside instead of showing them down the line. At times Konate has done the work of two defenders covering for TAA.

He doesn't have the mindset of a defender and has spoken about that himself this season. Klopp played the percentages and focused on getting TAA into a position that could hurt the opposition. Improving the player as a defender did not serve his team best. In an interview a few weeks ago, TAA said that Arne Slot does a 20-30 minute review of his game with him with a focus on things like his positioning and making better defensive decisions. He wants to improve the defensive side of his game and is delighted to be able to work on it with the new manager.

If the defenders can defend and the rest of the team are organised and disciplined to keep their shape we can weather a storm in the new system, there were signs of that in pre-season. However I think the left back position is our major weakness, Robertson is fading and Tsimikas is mental. The goals conceded against Forest, Milan and Wolves were all made possible by the decision making/lack of reaction by the players on the left. A year ago Elanga would not have got the chance to look up and play the crossfield pass to Hudson Odoi because Robertson would have been on top of him. Pulisic got a free run for his goal. The Konate vs Alisson situation occurred in the Wolves game following Robertson being found flat footed and unable to react.

The media are focused on the three contracts and the lack of a proper #6 but on the evidence of the first 8 games, I think that it is the Robertson/Tsimikas situation that will decide how our season goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Robertson/Tsimikas situation is fixable, with Jo playing there. Not ideal long term, but it has worked before and gives us a good base.

Im more worried about a #8 personally. Slob is only OK, for every good moment he has 3 or 3 sloppy ones. Can be inaccurate and exposed when tired, eg late in games oflr if he's on an intense run of games. He's a nice player, buy IMHO he's little more than a decent squad player, in and around the likes of Elliot or Jones, and none of the 3 of them should be nailed on starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I see another person in England has lost their job after a tweet about Hillsborough and the WBA fan who died at Hillsborough over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dr Robert

A 55 year old too. Most people get some sense as they get older. Not this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sadly I find that a lot of stupid people only get stupider with age. Or they get worse at hiding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

PL Winning Squad Photo 24/25🙏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No, they just care less. They were always that stupid.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Dano650

Not a chance. A couple of injuries to key players and they are in trouble. Needed to strengthen in the summer and didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think the classic example of not being aware of the attacker coming in behind him is the 2022 CL Final with Vinicus Jr.

He wasn't out of position but just not switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Can the same not be said for every team going for the title? City have lost Rodri, and now people are writing them off...Regardless of who you are, you lose key players, winning things becomes difficult.

If Liverpool lost VVD, McAllister and Salah over the next few weeks. It's doesn't matter what kind of summer they had, because you will not have a bench to adequately replace those guys over the long run.

Liverpool fans make me laugh at times, they have a squad of 16/17 top quality players. Spent big money the last few years. And they still try play the poor mouth card.

Rodri is a massive loss to City but they have the replacements to bring in who maybe are not as good as Rodri but capable of doing a job. If Liverpool lose VVD or Salah they are in bigger trouble because the quality they have to replace them are not as good. Would you trust Gomez or Nunez to help you win a league title if the other 2 are injured. I wouldn't trust them. Anyway I still think Liverpool are still behind Arsenal and City in terms of who is going to win the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Nothing to show that the poster is a Liverpool fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

"Would you trust Gomez or Nunez to help you win a league title"

Joe Gomez played 28 league games at CB the season we won the title and was our best defender.

So….yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As always context is needed. Because of this, your point on Liverpool spending big money is largely wrong. Of course, Liverpool spend large amounts of money in the grand scheme of things, but it's nowhere close to other clubs. Possibly because they haven't bought as many players as other clubs - half as many players as most other clubs. Maybe that's a testament to the younger players they bring through via the academy to supplement the first team.

This is the gross spend on transfers over the last 6 seasons. Permanent incoming transfers only, over the age of 18. Selected clubs only, but there are others who have spent more.

Personally I think Liverpool would have won another few big trophies over the same time period if they bought an additional 1 player in a couple of seasons. I'm not talking €75m players, but a couple of good quality players like another Jota type signing in defence or midfield. 1 extra body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

The Gomez Van Dijk partnership then was something special

• Advertisement

"Maybe that's a testament to the younger players they bring through via the academy to supplement the first team."

This is the only point I'd disagree on - everything else 100%

I think if you'd look at it, all of those teams match us or beat us when it comes to academy player minutes in last 6 seasons (completely pulling that out of nowhere but I can rattle off prominent youngsters from all those teams)

Instead with us, I think it's more a testament to how seldom we make huge miscalculations in the players we bring in. In the past 6 seasons Chelsea and City have had the financial clout to spent a lot on players who don't work out and then just replace by spending again. Arsenal spent £72m on Pepe. United with Antony, Sancho, Casemiro, Mount. Spurs didn't get much return on Ndombele or Richarlison. Newcastle did ok. Wood, Willock, Tonali all had their issues but they're not in the same group as the others for sure.

For us the only 2 proper signings we've made (meaning intended to be first team regulars like above) that didn't work out in that time were Thiago and Nunez.

Other than that, we've done incredibly well on signings for the first team and that means you don't need to sign as many new players, and when you do, they're much lower cost as they're signed as backups. We've had Tsimikas for years as understudy. Not great, but we haven't needed to replace him. Same with Gomez, £3.5m signing under Rodgers and still around.

There's been plenty of times we've missed on transfers - but it ends up being backups or loans that don't work out and we normally make the money back. Minamino, Shaqiri, Arthur, Kabak. The likes of City, United and Chelsea will bring in players who end up being similarly ineffective but cost a lot more in fee and wages

Its ok they won't be winning the league this year even if they have to call on Gomez or not :D

I don't disagree but that's a completely different point

I'm just surprised you've forgotten how good Gomez was in the title winning season - of all the players to give as an example of the point you were trying to make he'd surely be way down the list

Gomez hasn't kicked on from that season. If anything he is probably gone backwards

He isn't wrong though is he. Liverpool have spent big as you can see from the example below so I don't know how you can say they haven't spend big money.

• Advertisement

You've just ignored my point, but ok -"Of course, Liverpool spend large amounts of money in the grand scheme of things, but it's nowhere close to other clubs."

Also, you're including transfers that were made 7 years ago!

Still spent big money though and at the time broke transfer records for a keeper and defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Needless to say post international break is a massive 10 game stretch that’s going to give us a real idea of where we are under Slot.

Spending the record amount for a goalkeeper and defender is ok if they end up being the best in their position in the world - this is how the market should work. We don't win the Champions League or Premier League without them.

The point is look at the top 6 clubs who broke those above records - Kepa at Chelsea (which I think was only a week later) and Maguire at United

Nobody can claim that either of those players have been the best in the world in their position at any point since those record signings. Maybe not even close.

And yet even with those purchases, multiple other clubs have spent more over the same timeframe.

BTW, which counts as spending more? Buying 1 player at 75m or buying 3players at 50m?

and also, transfermarkt have Liverpool as 11th in the PL transfer gross spend table since 2019.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,215 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Jota picked up a foot injury, not training today. Scan came back clear so hopefully won't be too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'd ignore the visitor ^ He wasn't getting enough bites in the General Prem Thread so he's come to the source.

Jota injury was about due, after all he has played 5 games of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Slot said Jota should be ok for tomorrow

...but Chiesa won't be 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc at

Mykhaylo Mudryk for 30m in Jan, surely not

For a kid of 23 that would be a gamble worth taking

So much potential, he needs a family club to shine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No.

He's fast but useless.

When he loses his speed he'll still be useless, just more useless.

Too gung ho, takes his man on most of the time, and you can't do that in a quality league like PL and lose it 80% of the time. Needs guidance, pass, link, switch, make runs behind, Slot would work wonders on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Another bad CL night for Lijnders, four down at home to Brest 😕

Bajcetic on the bench, Clark played an hour

• Advertisement

RB Salzburg is essentially an U21s team, the average of the startng line-up is 22 and it drops to 20 if the goalkeeper is omitted. The Champions League is well above their level and it's a very steep learning curve for such young players.

Hard to believe Bruno's red was overturned, yes he slipped, but then lunged with the other foot to make the tackle while out of control, that action was all his.

PL usually would never overturn such a red, I mean just ask Curtis Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Doing well in the league anyway, which is the main thing for them - 3 points off top, with 2 games in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Rodgers Celtic getting a 1st half thumping in Germany by a Nuri Sahins Dortmund.

Emre Can got the 1st and it's now 5- 1.

Funnily I read that Sahin said Rodgers was the main reason he signed for Liverpool because of the style of football that Brendan coached.

I'd say that Sahin was trying to create a story line and control the news cycle instead of facing the prospect of a journalist that was armed with quotes from him as a player with a very different opinion of Brendan Rodgers as a coach and manager.

He had turned down the chance to sign for Liverpool when he instead moved to Real Madrid in 2011. He joined Liverpool on loan the following season because Jose Mourinho had made it clear to him that he was not going to displace Alonso, Khedira or Ozil in the Madrid starting line-up and he would have to find a club to go on loan. Dortmund were interested but weren't willing to pay Madrid a loan fee that was 50% of the transfer fee they had received, Mourinho contacted Rodgers to see if Liverpool were still interested in the player.

At Liverpool, Sahin was a shadow of the player that he had been at Dortmund. Even when he returned to Dortmund he was never the same player, the move to Madrid broke something in him. Similar to the way Coutinho was never the same player after moving to Barcelona, Sahin was still capable of moments of magic but couldn't find it consistently.

Following the failed loan move at Liverpool he wasn't shy about making deriding comments about Rodgers.

They will definitely be in the running for the domestic league, they are dominating teams with their possession and if they can be more clinical in front of goal there will be cricket scores. A similar criticism we had of Klopp and Ljinder's Liverpool teams. Sturm Graz away at the weekend will be a good game, a few weeks ago Salzburg dominated Rapid Vienna but lost 3-2 so it will be interesting to see if Ljinders adapts the approach for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dr Robert

Sahin had 160 odd league games in the 8.5 seasons following his Liverpool exit.

injuries definately played a part too.

I only just realised how young that RB Salzburg side was last night too. Average age of 22.3 years old. Take out the GK and the average age drops to 20.8. It's basically an u21 side.

Wonder why Bajectic didn't start though? He's been playing a decent amount so maybe it's a load issue and they are managing his minutes to build him up.

It's a shame Harvey Elliott is injured and missing tonight. Tonight was a real chance to use him midweek and get 90 minutes for himself but also some rest into a couple other players in midfield and attack.

A midfield of Gravenberch MacAllister Elliott would have been sound. Gravenberch looks really strong physically now and looks like he can glide across the pitch without much fatigue. I'd have no problem with him starting again and then later in the game you can introduce Jones Szobozlai etc to freshen things up/rest. Maybe even move Elliott to RW to give Salah a breather, if Chiesa is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭garra

Szob reminds me of Emre Can and I'm nor just referring to great hair. Both would cover a lot of ground, they can recover the ball but also give it away easily when gassed out. Szobo needs to get fitter and pace himself better throughout games, he is much better technically than Can, eventually his technique should shine more consistently.

Advertisement