Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€9 million to be spent on “electronic pouches for schools”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Haidt's study has been disproven by hotmail.

Haidt just needs to get with the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yes but id imagine the parents that allow their kids to flout rules like that will probably be the most troublesome to deal with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yes a fair question but I would say that it could hard to police. Kids are crafty and will do anything to disguise phone usage, especially with a teacher busy trying to teach a class of 20 to 30. Handing in the phones is more proactive rather ran reactive so that the teacher can concentrate more on teaching.

For mental health - it looks like its any phone usage, independent of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I honestly dont see the issue with this.

It's implementing a consistent solution across all schools, to an issue, that most agree needs to be fixed.

Kids are hooked to their phones, and need to be able to focus in schools.

€9m is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things

Any links?

How is Jonathan Haidt NOT getting with the times? This is a modern problem that he is now researching.

Its not just Jonathan Haidt, there are numerous other researchers on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Raichų

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's implementing a consistent solution across all schools

No it isn't. Again people need to read the article not just the headline.

It's 9m of funding for schools to come up with their own system.

I imagine the hoops a school will have to jump through to avail of any sort of money will be the usual bureaucracy and most of it will go unspent.

delete

Agreed. 9 million works out at approx 3.20eu per working adult in Ireland. And hopefully its a one off payment to initially set up. Even if 9 million has to be spent every 10 years to repair / replacement lockers/pouches, thats 32 cent per year per working adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,271 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It is not the school who should police this, it is the parent. No phones going to school. End of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Norma should just do that, save us all 9 million.

But how do you enforce this? I dont think the message is getting through to parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,271 ✭✭✭✭zell12

School sends the pupil home if they have a phone. Just another disciplinary rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭advisemerite

Rules will be broken though. The prisons are full of phones let alone schools and this won't change, regardless of what non enforceable rules they try implement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

She said the average cost of a pouch was about €20 to €30, but that they would be bought in bulk.

is she saying that's the price they'll be with the bulk discount, or the price before the bulk discount?

and is that across primary and secondary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am not against the principal of reducing screen time and phone use.

What I am concerned about is:

(1) are pouches the best way to achieve this goal?

(2) if so, I am concerned about the procurement of the pouches, and value for money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

You hardly expect parents to raise their children themselves!? They didn't sign up for that!

They want the government to help when it suits and when it doesn't, they say it's a nanny state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My kids tell me that pupils put their smartphones in their underwear, as they know the teachers can't take them then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Despite the fact my mother died 2 years ago and I was born 40 years ago, I wonder could I lobby my local TD to get that payment on her behalf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The brothers in my CBS would have found them...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Its not knee jerk. The USA and other countries have be trialing this in recent years with some success. I have links here.

As mentioned previously, if 9 million had to be spent every 10 years on this, it works out at about 32 cent per working adult per year.

How do you know teachers do not want to manage this? If it leads to happier kids who are more attentive, less depressed and anxious and hopefully getting better grades, maybe this is short term pain for long term gain.

Some places in the USA are using them with some encouraging results. Heres 1 link I came across…

https://www.campussafetymagazine.com/news/schools-invest-in-cell-phone-lock-bags-to-curb-student-usage/130446/

As mentioned above, 9 million spent on this every decade (for repairs / replacements) works out at around 32 cent per working adult per year. Very little in other words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I really don't know why you're using the USA as an example we should follow. They have regular school shootings. Maybe get evidence from country's that are similar to ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭NiceFella

Lets be completely honest here. Phones are extremely addictive!! No amount of penalties will work, because they are so addictive people will still break the rules.

That means they won't be present both in education and most importantly during socializing with other students. People are so hooked on them now that they forget were they are! I remember when I was in school, camera phones were more primitive but kids were bullying doing happy slaps to unsuspecting people while filming it.

They take your attention away and most of the time it's for petty and pointless and stupid reasons. Children will be thinking of taking videos, sending messages reading Instagram during class rather than paying attention.

Anything that helps teachers, parents and kids sort this out is absolutely necessary. 9 million for half a million students is peanuts lads. Get real, phones have made zombies out of most of the population and you think this is a bad idea?

Education of both parents and students on aspects of social media, misinformation etc is key in reality. We really should be arming the next generation with as much knowledge and skills around this as possible. Social media is a complete shitshow and pretty much unregulated. I know a few people who worked as moderators for Facebook and they could only stick the job for a few months, they were provided councilling along with it. For me, that tells you everything you need to know about these platforms. Kids and adults are exposed to so much trashy, low quality content that is;

1) False

2) Creates the need for more by using short, highly stimulating formats

3) Promotes doomscrolling

4) Leads to anxiety, addiction and other mental health issues

There are endless studies on this topic and none of them show this in a good light. The reading ability of youngsters, especially in America has dropped significantly in recent years and there is strong corellation that low quality, highly stimluating content plays a huge part in this.

Online bullying is particularly viscious.

Anyone suggestin we just live with it, this is the way things are needs to have a hard look at what we're doing to ourselves and what is being enabled.

That's a non-sequitur. We aren't discussing gun violence in schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,944 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I went to school some people spent ages on their phones.

Some teaches spent ages giving out to people for phone use, wrong shoes, etc. Wasted loads of class time.

Other teachers just got on with teaching and let Johnny not learn if he wanted to be on his phone.

Pesoanlly I can their been loads of time wasted. I'm not saying these phone pouches are a bad thing but most schools already have policies with phones being taken away, etc. Those who break the rules now will continue to in my opinion.

Again have you any studies for Ireland?This isn't America.

Social media is being tamed and controlled with rules. It's a relatively new addition to the world and it's taking time to iron out all the problems.

But it isn't going away. It will never go away. Children looking at their phones and scrolling is something adults will have to get used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

9 million because of parents are pushovers and refuse to do their job.

Is there something so massively different with our brains that means we handle this differently from, say America, India, China, the UK or other EU countries where most of these studies are conducted?

"This isn't America" is your only retort and it makes no sense. We are all human and we are all supsceptible to the same addictions and problems.

I know this isn't going away, that's why I advocate for education and providing people with the tools and knowledge on how to handle it.

What rules is social media being tamed with? Facebook appears to be worse than ever, Twitter/X is just a dumping ground for misinformation. We are now subject to mass amounts of lies, propaganda and misinformation from both corporations and state actors through these platforms and the lack of critical thinking of many in the general population is alarming.

Allowing children and young adults to be exposed to this is a catastrophic fail.

Is it going away? No.

Can we do better? Yes, we can do a hell of a lot more to mitigate the negative effects.

The fact that someone could be sitting in class, with their phone locked in a pouch, still distracted by the phone because all they want is the next "fix" from seeing what some creator has posted on TikTok, or how much interaction one of their posts got or someone responded to a message. This is addiction and it is, without a doubt, a pandemic.

But you're using America to further your argument. And I'm pointing out that American schools and education is vastly different to ours, case in point is the gun problem in schools there.

So unless you can produce evidence from Ireland about the so called dangers of phone usage, your evidence from America is bogus.

Every bit of "misinformation" which seems to be the buzz concern for the moment, is quickly countered with the correct information. Straight away.

That's social media and the Internet. It's fantastic.

That rarely happens, and we all know that by the time it is countered, the lie has spread and the truth no longer matters. Rage bait is what generates clicks and drives engagement, these platforms thrive on it.

Most School already have policies to deal with phones and students continue to use them. Some are fairly strict.

How much of an impact are these phone pouches going to have? With those who already break the school rules.

I'm not really advocating for pouches as some sort of solution for everything. The issues run much deeper is my point.

Pouches might help with disruption in the classroom but they don't tackle the deep rooted issues we see in wider society as a result of phone addiction.

• Advertisement

Alright, I get you now.

From reading your posts I was under the impression that these pouches were going to be some type almost fix the issue.

Sometimes when you hear people speak about phone use in school in the media you'd swear there was no phone policies in schools until the goverment got involved.

I grew up with basic phones in primary school to smart phones later in secondary school. So, I might view things differently to others. I do understand times have changed since then even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭JVince

Everyone is missing the main point of this.

Back in the good old days, bullying was in the open, name calling, a tug of a shirt, a push to the ground.

Teaching staff could see it and generally dealt with it.

These days bullying has moved online. Disappearing snapchat messages and photos in particular. A lot of this is done during the school day so that the bullies can watch the effect they have. It not a tiny minority - its a substantial issue and its so difficult to prove that accusing someone of such bullying will have the parents up in arms threatening legal action because their precious daughter or son would never ever do such a thing.

Hence you will find most teaching staff and school heads will see this as a very very welcome move and go some way towards the epidemic of bullying in schools.

Certainly a principal I know of says it was the BEST announcement in the budget for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Considering most kids get a new phone every year, I would imagine many kids will start putting their old phone in the pouch, so they can keep their new phone on them.

In general, I am for the idea of no phones in class, but like so many other things in this country, it's not been thought out.

And it doesnt address smart watches which are becoming more and more common. What use is a phone in a pouch in teachers desk, if the kids are watching tiktok videos on their watch instead of learning their quadratic equations?

When I went to school it was fairly common to have an old phone to hand up to the teacher if you got caught.

I left school in 2011 and people were doing it before that.

Personally I think it will have little impact.

As I said earlier I think if the government was really serious they'd tackle the age you can join social media and how you'd join it.(IE needing ID.)

again if we want to make that point there is billions spent because people cant follow rules, parent their kids, sort their own lives out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I said it when appointed, Norma Foley is not qualified to be a Minister.

Yeah, I don't think pouches will fix anything beyond some disruption in class time. The fact is, kids in school will have their phone locked away but that's where their minds will be anyway. So yeah, they might not be disrupting the class but they aren't exactly paying attention either.

We see it with everyone in wider society. Phone use while driving is staggeringly common. I cycle to work and there's often eejits weaving the wrong way on the cycle lane on their phones. Society is addicted but we have an opportunity to tackle the problem from a young age before the behaviours bed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The money being spent isn't a problem. The problem is "here's €9 million to do something, go for it". Just throwing money at it with no plan. Bound to work. I known its pittance in the scheme of things, but it feels like pittance that's wasted. Not that any excuse will work for some parents these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Raichų

oh bullshit mate. School shootings are a clever distraction and a moot point as well you know. You’ve no argument other than “it’s the new way” and it’s embarrassing. I don’t know why you’re even still here.

• Advertisement

Only way it would work in my opinion would be if caught in class using your phone whilst you've one in your pouch. Phones are taken and destroyed and parents fined. Other than that I think it will be fairly ignored.

From my experience teachers who spent ages giving out about phones caused more disruption than those who ignored it.

Advertisement