Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€9 million to be spent on “electronic pouches for schools”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭NiceFella

The reason why that wouldn't work is because the students would be putting in/collecting up to 40 phones at the start and end of every class.

Then in between classes you'll have gobsh*tes delaying the start of the next one by checking their phones in between. I mean, being honest that is a monumental waste of time.

Also you can't hand them up at the start of the day either for several reasons because they could need the evacuate etc. Also they'd need someone to make sure they actually have put their phones in which would be difficult when you have potentially thousands of students dropping off at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,967 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…and many more ffg governments to come, yippee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭circadian

I agree about the teachers handling it, and there's also the added hypocrisy that some of the same teachers are probably firing out WhatsApp messages during class time if they get the chance. There should be repercussions for teachers doing similar, a no phones in the class rule for everyone.

There's always going to be someone who will break the rules, such is the way with addiction. I wouldn't go as extreme as destroying someones device. Repeat offenders having a fine, maybe, but again this doesn't really tackle the issue at it's core. The pouches (or whatever "solution" is implemented) would reduce this behaviour but it won't eliminate it. I don't think harsh punishments will either. It needs to be treated as an addiction, the people who have absolutely no self control need help rather than punishment. Punishment will only create novel solutions to get around the restrictions in place.

Again another argument that doesn't make sense. Teachers have to enforce a no phone in class policy. It's made considerably more difficult if you left it to students having them in their pockets. That's constantly having to police it. The pouches make everything above board visible and easily checked. It would make their lives easier not harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Raichų

I really don’t get how this is such a difficult situation to manage. Like when I’m in work I can manage to leave my phone in my pocket unless I’m on my break or I need to call someone usually to do with work. Generally in an 8-12 hour shift the phone will be in my pocket for 90% of it.

So why are teenagers and kids precluded from this ability? They won’t die without the phone and don’t start me on “what if someone takes them”, first of all do you really think a potential child abductor isn’t going to be acutely aware the child probably has a phone? I mean come on.

It’s a load of horeshite and convenient excuse from parents who can’t be bothered. My two go to school every day and are collected after but next year the oldest is going to be walking home and he won’t have a phone either. If he does get a phone at any stage it certainly won’t be a smartphone and when the time comes for one & it will of course it will be heavily monitored and restricted.

There’s technology and software available to limit phone usage and all other screen time as well. Any suggestion the constant phone usage among young ones today isn’t damaging is laughable. Is every child glued to a phone? No of course not, but plenty are and it’s not on.

And spin me another one with the excuse of “keeping in touch”, so they need unregulated access to TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat etc to keep in touch with you is it? Fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Well, they go to school, they haven't set it on fire. There's no real reasons for them not to. There's no fix all for every problem but these are effective. They work.

Lol is that your argument? Am I a child in school??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Already provided in the link I presented. UK stats in there among others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,944 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ya the harsh punishments I mentioned were a bit of an extreme.

Personally I think lots of us just dawdle on our phones just to have something to do.

At work for example some places don't care if you use your phone, read a book, etc once you get your job done. It's more of just doing something than having am addiction.

I think focusing on bullying online, etc is more important than addiction.

truck loads of evidence to support, current younger generations are in trouble regarding mental health issues, and a significant amount of that is linked to social media use, so we probably need to do something about this immediately…..

• Advertisement

Good to know.

Times have changed since I went to school then.

Possibly. There will always be some who will find ways to work around the rules. However I think it will help as it will be harder to break the rules. The screw needs to be turned somewhere.

And so far, other ideas seem thin on the ground.

The issue isn't parents like it those who don't care.

The phone is handy way of keeping them quiet.

I'm not sure if this is aimed at me.

My point was Ms O'Shea catches Darren on his phone and spend 5 minutes giving to him.

Mr Brown just ignored Darren and does nothing.

It will be simlaiar when phone pouches are introduced.

Darren will continue to use his phone but only one teacher wastes class time on the matter.

I've no issue with phone pouches just think they'll have little or no impact.

What was your experience with phones usage in school?

Heres a study from Ireland pre covid (to rules this out as a contributor) that shows similar trends.

Link also mentions "a concerning trend of prevalence rates increasing in recent years" in reference to self harm.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/cspd/ncps/self-harm-suicide-related-ideation/moc/ncpsh-model-of-care-by-chapters/chap-4-child-and-adolescent-services-for-children-with-self-harm-and-suicide-related-ideation.pdf

I whole heartly agree with you.

Just being perfectly honest with you it annoys me when I people make these pouches sound like a fix to the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭thegame983

Just use plastic bags. They're 15 cent each.

Pupil provides their own.

We have a 5 and 8 year old so its not an issue yet but other parents of older kids have seen issues with teens suffering from aggression when the wifi is cut off or if limited screen time is enforced.

Ive heard stories of some teens who appear to be losing interest in sports and other hobbies that involve risk, responsibility and challenge as well as an apathy for study. There's a few of cases of this im aware of (not loads) but I suspect parents are not proud to admit their kids are like this so its likely more prevalent than parents let on. Girls seem to be a bigger concern.

probably wont fix the problem, cant really see it resolving anything tbh, also struggling to figure out what to do about it to, but its definitely something for us to be extremely concerned about, its a very worrying trend though

• Advertisement

Ya, I believe those situations can happen.

I actually meant what was your experience with phone usage growing up? 😄

Those things you mentioned happened in my time because of Play Staions, X-Boxes, etc.

If I had kids I think it would hard to get right. Just from the overly strict parents kids sneaking around and those who left at their own devices. Who can sneak around.

Yours are cute now just wait for the teenage years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I wonder how many kids die each year due to staring at their phone whilst reality continues regardless. Teenage guy almost walked straight into me yesterday, hadn't a breeze that other people existed because phone is God.

Just get the teachers to conference call their entire class so they can sit there, in class, staring at the teacher on their phone screen. I'll take the 9 million in cash please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Sounds like most of us can manage to keep a house going at a certain budget, its quite simple, government still WASTING money hand over fist. Its unbelievable. They cant even get a contract that does not go beyond a certain figure. WHY NOT? Wheres the money going???

The Phone pouch is the last bloody straw and we should be senseless about the continued waste of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

For someone in the 25-30 category you really do sound like a 60yr old.

Being a teenager is still fairly recent to you, we all acted differently as teenagers than we do now as adults.

Ha! The dread is starting to set in. Teenage years are not far away now all right. I grew up in the 1980/90s mostly out doors. It was the best thing ever. No helicopter parenting thankfully.

I was buried (2hrs a day maybe) in PC and playstation games all right from 14 - 18 approx but offline gaming is way less bad apparently. Id still head out and do other things. Its the social media, infinite scroll, like buttons, social comparison & kids texting at 11 pm etc thats the issue.

…plenty more ffg governments on the way, so get use to it…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

If the rule is good enough for adults it's good enough for kids. Even adults can't be trusted to keep their phone in their pocket at gigs.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2023/0411/1376300-phone-free-gigs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I agree with that completely. Nothing more annoying than some twat recording a poor quality video that they'll never watch again. Post it to Insta or whatever to show everyone you were at a thing, woo-f*cking-hoo.

Difference is, the tax payer isn't footing the bill for it.

Yep, I was in in school from 1997 - 2011.

I we grew up from basic phones in later primary school to smart phones in secondary school.

Even tough we had social media it was different.

Always felt the very strict helicopter parents kids who overly checked phones, had Web nannies, etc were up to the worst and lots of secrets from their parents.

One lad had strict parents but they were all into IT. He used be great for getting around the Web blockers in secondary school. Even the teachers used have him doing it for them.

Social media is the main issue and I can't see much being done about it.

• Advertisement

The pouches are visible though and you can easily see if the phones are in them. Sure you are going to have some that will act the maggot, but teachers will know who to watch out for.

It'll become so routine after a while that the kids won't even try anymore. I think this could be a great success imo.

For God sake, kids aren't adults! In general they don't have the same self control as most adults. It takes time learning and added responsibility for them to learn, that's why we have age restrictions or maturity levels on learning to drive or consuming alcohol or being exposed to certain content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I don't understand the issue with people taking their phone out during a concert. The older the crowd the less people use their phones. Younger people like videoing. It fizzles out as you get older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kids change classrooms several times a day. The school becomes responsible for missing phones etc.

The kids keep their pouches in their lockers or bags. No responsibility for the school

I should have said Darren would have an old phone in his pouch in my little story.

This will only work if teachers care and implement the school rules that are probaly already there. Some do and some don't at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kids don’t need phones in school… so ban them if they are an issue.

Kids will still bring them but if seen with them or a phone goes off, verbal warning, suspension, and repeat offenders expel them.

Both my schools were around 4 kilometres from my home.. I got there and back without a phone. Initially when very young I got a lift but at a guess about 6/7 years of walking, cycling, bussing it to and from school, id no phone, no drama.

If it’s a safety thing ( it’s not )… a person attempting to attack / abduct a child will do so via stealth, they won’t stand there watching a kid get their phone out, the victim won’t have an opportunity to call Gardai or parents…

It’s an addiction to these devices on behalf of the kids and their absolute demand to be entertained by them and to be always in contact with their peers.…

• Advertisement

Schools already have loads of rules about phones and punishments.

Also, it's almost impossible to expel somebody from school.

If you actually read how many young people are offing themselves from social media (phone usage) each and every year over the past 10 years you'd realize that this is far from a waste of money. Is it perfect, no it isn't. But it's starting to tackle a major societal issue of anxiety and depression in young people that is at epidemic levels. The money is a pittance to what is going to be spent on mental health services sorting out years and years of trauma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭feelings

How anyone can defend 9 million spent on these yokes ?? Are you seriously saying this is was acceptable when there schools around the country are asking parents for donations to heat the schools ffs.

No accountability as always though.

The vast majority will buy in to the system because it makes sense. Some teachers don't give a damn which is a shame but in my memory I only had one teacher like that. Most teachers are well intentioned people and they don't go into teaching for the pay that's for sure.

For me it would have being closer to 50/50 but if you were on your phone and wasn't causing hassle they didn't mind.

How will things change tough from the way they are at the moment?

Most schools have policies about phone usage during class. Some obey the rules and some don't.

Some teachers enforce the current school rules and some don't.

I can't see having a pouch with an old phone thrown in it make the teaches who don't care now care in the future. Phone usage is easy enough to spot.

Out of interest was there smart phones in school when you were there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If he does get a phone at any stage it certainly won’t be a smartphone and when the time comes for one & it will of course it will be heavily monitored and restricted.

Oh God if I had a euro for every time I heard that.

Apathy and usually the child themselves will wear that down.

yeah, no they won’t tbh. I’ve been pestered for years for an iPad. They still don’t have one because to date they don’t need one. mad how that works.

No child of mine is going to “wear me down” to spend €€€’s on a phone for them. I mean I don’t need to convince you or anyone else but don’t worry about it there’s still parents with some cop on in the country.

Right, but my school didn’t need special pouches to curb excessive phone usage. As I explained before if I used my phone in school and got caught I had to bring home a €25 fine and tell my mother she had to pay it now. I didn’t have the money.

So when that happened I didn’t have my phone for a few days or however long she deemed necessary. It certainly put a stop to that. What I find nowadays is they’re just let away with it.

“Ah sure what can you do”

“Sure they’re all at it aren’t they”

“Sure it’s just the age we live in”

more good for them and their brain development but I’m sure your comment was pointlessly sarcastic and frankly didn’t need to be made but anyway.

Even if 9 million was spent on this every 10 years, it works out at around 32 cent per working adult per year. Hardly much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

My friends little fella has just gone into first year. He hasn't got a phone yet but he's said he's miserable every day at lunch. The kids are all on their phones the entire time, nobody wants to talk and he's the only one without a phone (or so he says at least).

We're a month into the school year and he's not managed to find anyone to sit with at lunch yet that is happy to go without their phone to chat instead. My mate is feeling a lot of pressure now to get him a phone but luckily he's taken to reading to fill the lunch break. But any day he forgets his book, he's back to being lonely and miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

Our school confiscated them and parents had to come in and collect them but unfortunately and you may not like this but it is a different time, every child in secondary now has a smartphone compared to when we went to school when they were just coming to the market.

Even when we didn't have smartphones we all texted at times in class to someone we liked or friends, it's what teenagers do. If you got caught you got a punishment. Removing the opportunity to use them is the only real solution.

As has been pointed out the pouches are just one suggestion, the €9m is giving schools the budget to choose their own solutions, I don't think most people have read past the headline of the articles.

Sad to hear. Once the majority of kids start getting them, its a nag fest for the remaining parents who usually have low patience with the stress of 2 careers in a house trying to juggle kids and the rest.

TBH I just didn't feel like engaging with you as your standpoint is parents who don't parent like me have no cop on.

I know people with similar lofty self importance of themselves, any sort of debate is utterly pointless in my experience.

But good for you and I wish you luck.

Reality will rarely match those theoretic standards in my experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement