Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

⚠️ Potential flooding Saturday 05-10-24

• 02-10-2024 11:24pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭

⚠️The charts have taken a fairly steep upturn in rainfall predictions for Saturday into Sunday and have been steadily increasing the rainfall predictions over the last few runs. LP set to move close to Ireland towards the weekend with trailing fronts being drawn up over the country from a S , SE direction. Looks very heavy with flooding a distinct possibility in southern counties I reckon as can be seen in the charts below most notably the most recent ICON-EU which I find is more conservative with rainfall predictions usually. A lot of this rain falling in 10 to 15hrs giving at least an Orange warning in some southern counties and other counties getting a yellow warning likely and ICON out in front being very close to a red warning perhaps on tonight's charts but in general atm the main models firmly in an Orange warning level ( close to high end maybe ).

Could have some active type convective weather also with intense local downpours and the parameters showing thunderstorms possible on Fri Night into Saturday.

Gusty windy day overland coupled with the heavy rain with some localised strong convective gusts.

Need to keep a close eye on this weekend.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh no… would this be related to the remnants of Kirk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Kirk looks to be hitting us next weekend (10/10-13/10)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,617 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

There's some pedigree from Isaac in the setup, Kirk will be an issue after 10 October, for days now guidance has shown Kirk being pushed into a southerly track closer to n France and the Channel region, Ireland staying in a cool n.e. flow but there is certainly a chance we'll be dealing with Kirk after this weekend (Saturday) event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ECM this morning. Definite orange rainfall for Saturday...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very high totals showing up and now more including up along the western half of the country brining more counties into the Orange warning range I would think especially with so much water set to fall in a relatively short timeframe. Loks like the triple point could be drawn up over the country also. Thunderstorm potential especially in the SW and along the W Fri night into Sat morning, continuing threat on Saturday. some very big local convective falls of rain. High ground seeing totals up around 100 mm by Sat evening giving huge run off the mountains and surely causing difficulties downstream. Windy blustery day but below yellow warning level on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Cork, Kerry, Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy and persistent rain.

Possible Impacts:

• Localised flooding
    • Difficult travelling conditions

Valid: 00:00 Saturday 05/10/2024 to 00:00 Sunday

06/10/2024

Issued: 10:39 Thursday 03/10/2024

Current weather charts would certainly bring this to Orange level in places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Fantastic - herself doing the Galway Half on Saturday.

So far Arpege, MET and GFS producing wildly different amounts of rain for Galway on the day. MET showing a break around the time, Arpege has it further east and the GFS would suggest you're going to drown if you walk around outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭typhoony

Looks like being a far south West event as far as Cork. I'd be more concerned about about what possibly could be heading our way end of next week

Next weeks event is too far out. Anything really could happen just a watch for now. The favourite right now is a slow moving direct hit with strong gales and heavy rain. But it is very uncertain and does need watching.

However Saturday is nearly upon us and some models really do up the ante for rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ascophyllum

The 6z gfs shows 60-70ml of rain but confined to the far southwest of Cork and Kerry, not as bad besides? But maybe the higher resolution models are more reliable at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭pauldry

Far Southwest mostly mountains and bits of the West the same. Depends on the track but it appears that the heavy rain is further West at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Was there last year running the 10K beautiful morning. (Did the Half two years ago-well windy that day but warm)

Hope Longdord is in the East this weekend lol where I will be and some say East might not be too bad emmmm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some of the latest model output. Bit of a spread even at this stage in where will get the heavy rain. The SW and W look fairly certain to receive the heaviest, parts of the South fairly high chance of heavy rain and will see how the rest of the country fares in later runs. That is some chart from ICON EU, not one to overdo rainfall predictions but this is way out in front.

A chance of thunderstorms and very heavy convective rainfall remains up along the Western seaboard and into the SW and W mainly from Fri night into Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Dazler97

More counties added into the yellow warning ⚠️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

cork is gone orange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Orange - Rain warning for Cork and Kerry

Very heavy and persistent rain, with highest accumulations in mountainous areas of Kerry and west Cork.

Impacts:

• River and coastal flooding
    • Dangerous travelling conditions
    • Travel disruption

Valid: 00:00 Saturday 05/10/2024 to 23:00 Saturday 05/10/2024

Issued: 17:30 Thursday 03/10/2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Clare, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, Mayo

Heavy and persistent rain.

Possible Impacts:

• Localised flooding
    • Difficult travelling conditions

Valid: 00:00 Saturday 05/10/2024 to 00:00 Sunday 06/10/2024

Issued: 17:29 Thursday 03/10/2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Orange warning has been issued, wonder will we see a red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah I am doing the 10k this year. Not ideal but it can be a bit of fun in the rain too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So I don't suppose I'll be doing anything in the garden this weekend then 😭🙇

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Feck it, that's my hiking weekend in Sneem off!

The higher Res models are really dialing it up especially over the mountain ranges in the SW and W. That would be some flow of water off the mountains, could be hearing of roads and bridges washed out and possible land slippage, places like Kenmare would need to be very prepared.

GFS I suspect might be an outlier this evening

This multi model did well last week, an average of the Hi Res models at this stage.

UKMO HD only up to Sat 12 at this stage.

If that last set of charts verified, driving through the hills in South Kerry, West Cork and Connemara would be unwise.

I wonder what conditions are most conducive to landslides? The huge Pollathomas landslides in North Mayo occurred in Sept/Oct and one of the reports mentioned the dry state of the peat after a dry summer being a factor. I don't know about down south but land is certainly quite dry in Southwest Mayo. I've often thought that when the soil gets dry and crusty it would separate more easily from the bedrock or the layer below.

Likely Rainfall Totals would be

Cork Kerry Mountains 100mm

Cork Met Stations 40 to 60mm

Connemara Mace Hd 50mm

Newport Co Mayo maybe Belmullet 40mm -50mm

Shannon 40mm

Sligo 35mm

An evolving situation.

A lot of rain in one day for sure. Only 25.5hours away and still uncertain but second triple point location will determine the totals and whether South and West or South and spine of country get worst.

So far Southwest 99%

Spine 50/50.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Triple point… 🧐

The 18z just out brings Captain Kirk back in view with a direct hit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A direct hit, but piss weak winds, torrents of rain though.

so the dance of the 7 veils continues as usual with the GFS.

Quite a difference between gfs and ukmo, gfs keeps heaviest precipitation offshore west of Kerry and ukmo has it more over Cork City and Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,659 ✭✭✭✭fits

that’s a direct hit for Wales and Cornwall tbh. Although these storm tracks do tend to err on the northwards side.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 doralives

The Solar Radiation Management will continue until morales improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭typhoony

A couple of hours of very heavy rain for the very far SW, not long enough to cause any major problems and when it reaches Cork the intensity will have dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

An indoors type of evening tomorrow, oof

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Some models have pulled back the heaviest rain into the SW and W but even at this stage a bit of a spread. Some models showing a bit less rainfall than a couple of days ago .I think if you compare all the models then the GFS might be underplaying it a bit although is back on the latest 06Z somewhat again to what it was showing a couple of days ago . Even the Hi Res models showing a bit of a spread on where will get the heavy rainfall. In general good large of Kerry and Cork well within Orange warning level with very heavy rain falling on the mountains, the West in general looks in yellow warning level with some very heavy rain over mountains but ICON showing the W to be in Orange warning level I reckon backed up by UKMO UK and AROME Orange level more towards west Galway ( big county ).

ICON also showing the likes of Sligo and Donegal in at least Yellow level.

So could yet see some more counties added to the warning level. Will see if Galway is added to Orange later.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bookworms

Waterford just gone to orange

• Advertisement

Sligo will get 35mm. That's my prediction. I'll give update from my raingauge tomorrow to see if I'm close. So far 1.2mm in October and quite sunny n mild here until today light rain n wind.

Occluded fronts and SE winds oftentimes mean heavy rain in the SE too as oroegraphic lift from the Wicklow mountains plays a part. Something to keep an eye on.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭degsie

Luckily Cork can float!

Cant see any mention of thunderstorm predictions ( making me a bit nervous 😁) but I think the parameters are there and the index's are showing possibility of thunderstorm activity up along the SW and W in particular, some moving along the coasts and inland in the early hours accompanied by very heavy convective showers, some activity Saturday during the day maybe in the SW also.

Instability in the form of a warm nose of supersaturated air moving up alongside and over Ireland in the small hours aided by low level shear and an amount of Deep layer shear especially being aided by Orographic lift. Lapse rates decent, PWAT looking high so under some of those convective type showers got get high localised rainfall totals in a short space of time. Could be a fairly lively night / early morning especially in the SW and . Wil see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Beam me up"….

"The Remnants of Kirk" …

"The last movie in a long line of Star Trek movies, this one however will focus on the exhumation of Capt James T Kirk and the autopsy that will try to determine his exact cause of death- due for release in 2000"

Rte Guide -1998.

Post edited by greenspurs on

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

It's increasingly looking like an extreme Southwest event, Kerry west and Western parts of Clare and Galway. Also for places like Cork it's now an evening event like after 6pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Luckily if they cross the river at Ferrybank or Carrick they will be in white

I agree, coming from the SW atlantic there a lot of warm moist air in this, orange warnings for the SW definitely warranted this time.

Away from the Extreme West tomorrow is basically dry!! Even places like West Cork barely see rain in afternoon. Arpege below is typical of the trend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

ECM 06Z

Galway ? Western half close to Orange.

Parts of the Midlands looking very wet also more online with ICON EU and UKMO , more yellow warning perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bookworms

Not looking forward to this

These are the 2 lots of rain on latest satellite. I take it the one to the South is going to go through a period of intensification tonight and the one to the West brushes past us. Is this correct? The only certain thing is tomorrow will be a wet day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

heading to a wedding in south Kildare tomorrow - anyone know when the rain is due to start and end there? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Yes, the met office graphics pick that up. Prolonged heavy rain along western coastal counties first, followed be intense rain moving across southern regions later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement