Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car valuation for a will/estate

• 04-10-2024 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a car valued that belonged to a late relative.

The car is a 2014 Hyundai ix35 100,000kms. Valuation websites say €10,000. The only thing is the car has damage all around it. The boot lid is heavily damaged, as is the rear passenger door. All 4 corners have wall rash and i'm pretty sure it spent many days travelling through fields.

Do I take it to a repair shop and ask how much to repair and subtract from €10k, or ask a garage what they would give as a trade in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Put it up for sale and see what offers you get. Doesnt sound like it is worth much to be honest

I'd be inclined to keep it outside of the estate if you get me….easily done

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭3d4life

If you have to leave it in the estate then I would say what you are looking for is not

"…what they would give as a trade in?"

but what would they give to buy it. i.e. a clean sale to the garage … the ex owner wont be looking for another set of wheels :(

Isnt there a Legal forum somewhere on here ? … wonder what suggestions you would get there …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

People make ridiculous offers on good cars when you put them up for sale so I don't know how that will work out. Its part of the estate so it needs to be dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭JVince

Bring it to Merlin Car auctions and ask them what they expect to get.

I'd suspect €5k-€6k if all sides have some form of damage.

Trade-in value will be inflated as they'll build in some of the margin they have on the car they are selling. A garage will want to clear €1,000 - €1,500 on a car sale.

If you know a local dealer, just ask them what they think as a trade sale price. It will give you a guideline to work on.

Do garages do straight purchases? I've never experienced it so didn't know it was a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭3d4life

Yes, most do. Circumstances such as yours would be typical. Expect a really low ball offer….such is life :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭AnRothar

You suggest that there is a notional value of 10k but it's not pristine.

Your problem is that people can have funny ideas of what things are worth.

Believe you me that you are on a hiding to nothing here.

if you are the executor just advise the beneficiaries that you are selling and will include whatever it makes in the general pot.

TradeTrade sale to a garage willing to accept it or an auction.

Far better for transparency.

Keep records. You will probably get no thanks.

Thanks I'll try that, I'm the wrong side of the country but maybe I can contact them and send pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,639 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can you see if any of the beneficiaries is interested in taking the car as part of their inheritance, agree a fair price taking in to account the repairs needed between the other beneficiaries. The auction route will get a terrible price but will be easiest option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭JVince

Once you get a "trade sale" or auction valuation, offer it at that price to anyone named in the will. If more than one offers to buy it, draw a name from a hat. If no-one makes an offer, flog it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭enricoh

Has it been driven, if lying up a few years new battery, brake calipers seized, tyres perish etc . Get it moving asap, forget about repair shops. Anyone in the family need a car ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭junkyarddog

10 year old car with substantial body damage?

I'd be looking at scrap value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭User1998

Find me running 10 year old cars for scrap value and I’l buy 100 of them off you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭User1998

OP the fact it has very low mileage makes it worth about €7,000 in my opinion. The cheapest one online under 120k km’s is €10,450. This is assuming it just needs a few panels resprayed and is in good mechanical order.

If I was buying it myself to sell I might aim to get it a bit lower than that so I’d say traders/dealers might only offer €5,000 or so but its definitely worth a bit more than.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭AnRothar

to the OP this is the nub of the problem.

in theory the car may be worth 10k.

in reality it's is probably somewhere between 5k and 7k.

If you are the executor it's up to you as to much of YOUR time and effort you can or are willing to give to realise the higher figure.

Advertisement