Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco's (abominable) wine selection

• 04-10-2024 5:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

This is definitely a first-world problem, but I'll air the grievance anyway. Our local Tesco is the biggest store around and has the largest selection. The vast majority of them are devil's pish. Even when more expensive wines are marked down, they are still poor.

I use the Vivino app on practically everything, and I rarely find anything that ranks remotely well there. I'm baffled how a shop with such a large selection can get it so wrong. Super Valu and Dunnes do a pretty good job, I have to say. Lidl and Aldi also have good ones in frequently too.

Has anyone else found similar with Tesco?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Since Terry Leahy left Tesco, it’s been downhill all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Tesco is just a bit rubbish. It’s neither Aldi or Dunnes, but looking to be something in the middle. Mediocre all round.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm no connoisseur but I tend to find Lidl is slightly better for random wine choices.

Out of interest, what do you deem to be a good score on Vivino? And what sort of price range are you normally looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,604 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I never shop in Tesco for wine - I occasionally shop in one of the biggest stores in the country (Merrion Centre) and have been utterly amazed by how they can have that large a selection of wines, with not a single one that I'm interested in trying.
    Lidl and Aldi are a country mile better for interesting wines in the €10-15 range. Or O'Brien's special offers (with a special mention for their French wine sale that's just over)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭JVince

most Tesco wines are bought with a view to putting them on promotion at some point.

So you will see dreadful wines at €15 - €20 and then suddenly they are "half price". In reality they are still over priced muck.

Domaine Arnaud is the classic example. Pure piss, A totally made up name. Only sold in tesco and every other week on "club card promo" half price.

Its utter rubbish - but foolish customers think they are getting a €17 bottle of wine and they almost force themselves to think its drinkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Most of their half price selection is utter dross but they had this on special for a good while and I thought it was nice enough:

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/306808994

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,474 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Tesco Finest wine range is a safer bet in my experience. You might see a few euros off on them but rarely half price.
    For Italian wines Piccini produced stuff is good.

The ones that you regularly see half price discount on, it is clear that reduction price is more reflective of their value.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Have to agree, I find the vast majority of wine in Tesco to be fairly generic, overpriced, third country dross, of minimal interest. Nothing wrong with it as such, but never anywhere close to worth its alleged RRP, although can be okayish value when gets to inevitable half price, although that now tends to be a few euro more than what it used to be.

Biggest issue I have though is these wines are essentially boring, typically say. Cab Sauv from Chile, a Chardonnay from Australia, etc. Taste fine, but akin to a fruit juice with no real character. Even the wines at upper end (Rioja Reserva, Barolo, mid priced Bordeaux) tend to quite generic examples of their type, fine and quite functional but never enticing.

All other supermarkets have much better choices, with weekly offers on genuinely interesting wines. The likes of Lidl and Aldi in particular, even with very limited selections comparatively, have some really good wines, representing great value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's a typical UK supermarket which have gaslit the entire place across the water into thinking the bland sht they sell is quality. Sainsbury's and M&S are as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭mykrodot

couldn't agree more! Tesco wine and brands like Domaine Arnaud or whatever you're having yourself are muck. They are NEVER sold at €17 or whatever full price is. No such thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 EthelMercaptan

Not much better up north either, in my experience. Some of their Finest reds are OK and the Faustinos are good but I would be far more confident buying unfamiliar wines in Supervalu or O'Briens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Happy to pay up to 15. On a rare occassion 20 or 25, but that is rare.

Vivino-wise 3.8 and above is a good score IMO. 4+ wines tend to be very good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Campo Viejo Reserva jumps to mind, it's 3.8 on Vivino and currently €16 (it's on offer a lot though up north, at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is probably the only wine I regularly buy from Tesco but when reduced to €10 (which seems to be all the time). It's a very decent wine for €10 with the additional benefit of being a screw cap!

Personally, I think all wines should be screw capped. Those plastic corks, in particular are pointless! Where others love the sound of the cork popping, I love the sound of the screw seal cracking. I've also had some seriously good wines with stelvin closures.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I cannot taste the difference between the Campo Viejo Reserva and the regular stuff.

Advertisement