Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mary O Rourke has passed away.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You are trying to speak for the entire working class and as a member of that class I am saying you can fuk off in that regard.

Mary O'Rourke wasn't anything near working class anyway so I don't know how it's any defense of what she said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Gas the way RTE played that clip on Primetime but just stopped short ..

There were lots of common phrases that people would never utter in common parlance now and her using that phrase was her way of ' getting down with the ordinary folk' which she miscalculated .

Her influence and others like her were on the wane by that time even among FF supporters .

Phrases of the past should stay in the past .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mary O'Rourke was certainly one of the better, more honest and more capable FF TDs in the history of the party.

She was an excellent Minister for Education in the late 1980s/early 90s when there was very little money to spend - she introduced the Junior Cert and the Transition Year at second level which were major reforms to the system - I was one of the first students to take the TY back in 1990/91.

Her record as Minister for Public Enterprise was far less impressive - O'Rourke dithered on the LUAS plans, wasting time and also the Eircom shares debacle where the shares were initially way over-valued and many subsequently lost out.

Mary O'Rourke also had a warmth and generosity of spirit - she was a rather maternal figure in her latter years serving in public office and was known to have mentored a few younger TDs in their early years. Also in the Flood Tribunal, she refused to kowtow to party pressure and did indeed recall several very dodgy discussions and decisions made in the Government Offices in the Haughey years when her colleagues had collective amnesia. This shows she was a person of integrity and principles.

Rest In Peace, Mary. You gave very good and dedicated service to the Irish body politic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Now, now breezy.

Once again you are letting your imagination run away with itself.

The sad thing about this is each time you do it you are coming across as more and more irrational and might I add confrontational.

How was your day?

Did you work hard today?

Were you paid well?

It's not even 5pm and I've got my few pints with the lads out of the way already and the dinner is on.

Happy days breezy, another weeks work done and another weekend to look forward too.

Have a good one.

Warned and 1 day forum ban applied

Post edited by Beasty on

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Raichų

I’m fine. You’re the one defending the use of a racial slur while simultaneously refusing to type the slur yourself.

If there’s nothing wrong with it as you claim why do you refer to it as “that phrase” as opposed to just saying it outright? Rather than query my wellbeing answer the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Augme

Not busing racist phrases is PC gone mad it seems. Oh boards, also good for a laugh.

Raichu you have a very active imagination and there's nothing at all wrong with that.

I understand you're under tremendous stress from reading your recent posts and indeed the threads you have started but please don't be under the illusion that because I have shown you some empathy that you are in a position to tell me what to do.

You shouldn't mistake kindness for weakness.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Raichų

I’m terrified.

Predictably won’t say the phrase but happy to defend it.

Don't be afraid raichu, conquer your fear

Just do it.

When the roots are deep there is no reason to fear the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

That phrase was very common in the west probably up until around that time. And would have been said in ignorance to where it actually came from. Much like call a spade a spade which you still here regularly - i heard it in my office this week.

The outraged are insincere, it's just a device to attack somone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,261 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There was never any ignorance to where it came from, the knowledge of where it came from is WHY it was used. There’s no outrage, it’s just that even by 2006 standards, it was a monumentally stupid thing for a national politician to have said. No outrage, just monumentally stupid, which is why it’s an example of something she would be remembered for, for the wrong reasons.

It’s no different than any national political figure being remembered for their tone-deaf gaffes, and there are many examples of their detachment from reality that are just as awkward, bemusing or in that particular circumstance - outright hilarious for the way she was completely oblivious to it in spite of it drawing gasps from an unexpecting audience 😂

Bull. People use phrases they don't know the root of all the time. Weird that you would think it was never the case with that one, never mind improbable.

Whether that is what she is remembered and judged for is also is also down to the individual and their disposition.

Yes they do, but that’s not the case with that particular phrase which is used to convey the idea that people worked as hard as black slaves were made to work. What’s improbable is the idea that anyone using it isn’t using it because they’re aware of its context and the idea they’re attempting to convey to other people who would also understand its meaning.

And yes, it is down to the individual, whatever about their disposition, in just the same way as the OP remembers her for the TE shares scandal where ordinary people who were never stock market speculators lost their life savings in some cases (through sheer greed and stupidity it has to be said, hoping to make a quick profit), or the tribunals in which she threw all and sundry under the bus (some people have suggested it was because of the way her brother was treated after his gaffe!), or being remembered for all the positive aspects of her tenure as a national political figure such as the amount of good she did for the people in her constituency, or how she inspired more women to get into public office and politics, or her being remembered as the Mammy of the Dáil, or as the reporter put it - her characteristically colourful style (a nice way of identifying that she was completely detached from reality).

Righto , you think everyone who has ever used that phrase knows what it means. I disagree, genuinely.

And sure we'll hardly change each others minds, so all the best! (Genuinely:))

They use the phrase because they know what it means, and they know the people who they are using it with, know too what it means. Mary could have observed that her team worked hard, but it wouldn’t have been nearly as colourful, colloquial or meaningful as observing that her team worked like blacks 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,944 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I liked Mary O'Rourke always felt she was a compassionate and understanding lad. Yes, she may have been a bit traditional in some ways but she'd still have your back and look after you.

She also was no fool and could be fun.

If you ever heard her speak she truly loved her late husband Enda.

R.I.P Mary and I hope your reunited with Enda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

She was well ahead of her time in those remarks. Worked like Blacks should be seen in today's Ireland as a compliment to all the hard-working Blacks who are literally 'working like Blacks' to improve Ireland's economy in the face of the 'racist far-right' commentators who view the Black community as welfare cheats and often worse.

Feckit if she made a total mess of Telecom Eireann, she was more focussed on the future migration problem about to unfold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Advertisement