Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024 Assistant Principal in Civil Service

• 04-10-2024 6:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

A new competition has opened. Closed on 24/10 on public jobs.

Good Luck to all those applying

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&cid=194388&campaignId=24456408&Itemid=263

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭336699

I’ll throw my hat in the ring for this one, best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 Oresim

Here we go again!!🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Meadowlands

@Oresim 🤩 Here we go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭AngelaG

Capabilities rather than competencies ....

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Foxy1987

I noticed that you can only choose one location for this comp..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 jessimirish

Throwing my hat in the ring for the first time. Coming from the private sector, this application process will be a learning curve for me. Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mmerton365

First time eligible for InterD.

Looks a little less prescribed than last time.

Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mogs121

Anyone have experience of capabilities vs competencies based interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GailliamhAbú2022

Where could you get help with the application? Or examples of what is expected. Never done this application before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 Leesha

First time going for this. Best of luck everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 87629

Assistant Principal Open Stream 

Assistant Principal Interdepartmental Stream

can I ask what the difference here is?
    is it better to go for both streams ?? Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭furrybones

You must have 2 years service to apply to the interdepartmental stream. No service required for the open stream.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 87629

thank you! Is it that if you do have 2 years service in x department that you can be selected for any department if successful ? i.e. you may end up in a different department? (As the closed ap comp is the opposite of this)

would then assume that you can apply for both if you do have the 2 years service and that may increase chances being in two streams ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Wood

You need to have 2 years service total. Could be a combination of Dept. X, Y and Z. Internal Stream is restricted to serving civil servants only, and if successful you can be assigned to any department.

If you apply for both streams you will have 2 orders of merit, but only a single score, so for example you could be 49th on the interdepartmental, but 599th on the open, depending on the quality of applicants

Thanks! I'll be applying on the Open as I'm coming from the private sector. I was wondering have you any idea if when assigning roles do they prioritise the InterD stream over the Open stream or how does it work in terms of when people are called? If there are two separate streams how do they assign merit on one vs the other? (so say a role opens, will they always go to whoever's next up on the InterD first before whoever's next up on Open, and do they exhaust that stream before they even start with Open)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BlueAW

Based on the leadership application question - is there much hope in going for this with experience of a small team size for a short duration? Do we know if this is the same question from previous competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭furrybones

The new capability framework takes potential into account. Even if you don't have experience in a specific area, but you can show you have the potential, you can pass the shortlisting/interview stage.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sedum

What do you think would count as a small team and a short duration (curious for my own application too)…? Maybe you can draw out the wider impact that your team had eg were they influencing a wider range of stakeholders to deliver? There's only so many direct reports that one person can effectively have anyway…

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sedum

Looking at the previous thread on this topic, I think there is a ratio where they alternate between the two streams to take candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BlueAW

@sedum I’m currently in CS but no direct reports as not the norm in my organisation but I have experience managing a team of 2/3 on a project for a duration of 1-2 months so I’m not sure if what they want is more targeted towards having direct reports.

• Advertisement

Question… I'm throwing my hat in the ring for this competition, currently in the private sector. Basically I'm in a fairly toxic corporate rat race environment and I want out as soon as possible (have been at the company for 7 years and enjoyed it most of the time, but things have taken a turn this year in my department). I'm motivated by being of some sort of good to the public as opposed to making money for a toxic unnecessarily intense corporate.

I have also recently applied to a couple of specific roles at government agencies, thinking based on the salary scales they are HEO level equivalent public sector roles. Would mean taking a fairly significant pay cut, but my priority is getting out of where I'm at, and given that the roles seem nice and at good orgs by all accounts (I know people who work there), I'm happy to do that at this point for an easier life. None of the application closing dates for those roles have come around yet so it's a wait and see job there.

Question is, if I were to get one of those other jobs and also be in the AP pool, would it affect my AP application chances if I were to change jobs during the application process? Obviously not ideal to change jobs so soon after starting one, but the AP salary is more in line with what I'm on now - and given the last panel seems to have taken about 2 years to place some people, I know for sure I can't wait that long to get out of where I am now. Would it reflect poorly on my application if I had started somewhere else in the meantime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Moving2017

The various roles are completely separate and would have no bearing on each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭countyireland12345

Not at all. In the interview for the 2022 AP comp I told them I was 2 weeks into a CS job and still passed the interview and placed on the panel. It's all about demonstrating you possess the required competencies, or capabilities as they are now called.

Advertisement