Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€9 million to be spent on “electronic pouches for schools”

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,944 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d say teaching

teaching disciple and removing the devices for 6-8 hours a day. Is actually helping to address this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/taoiseach-accuses-sinn-fein-of-hypocrisy-over-opposition-to-phone-pouch-scheme-1679809.html

It certainly looks like it is going to backfire spectacularly on the opposition. It seems that the civil servants down here got the idea from a Northern Ireland pilot project introduced under Sinn Fein!!!!

Sinn Fein will quietly drop this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,967 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

addiction is far more complicated than just 'teaching', for example we ve been 'teaching'(educating) the public about the dangers of illegal drugs for many decades now, yet usage has significantly increased over those decades, i.e. addiction doesnt follow the rules of logic, discipline etc etc, noting, we re also seeing a high level of usage of drugs amongst our prison populations to, and also some phone usage….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭StormForce13

Well done Simon Harris! Went straight for the McDonald jugular and ripped what was left of her credibility to shreds.

I find it quite remarkable that the Big Cheese running the 26 county branch of SF doesn't pay any attention to what the slightly smaller cheese who is First Minister at Stormont is up to. Surely the two of them should compare notes before Mary Lou sits down, sharpens her red crayon and painstakingly scrawls a "Dear Simon" letter?

• Advertisement

wouldnt be worrying too much about sf, they certainly wont be in government any time soon, if ever, tis ffg all the way now, possibly indefinitely……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭StormForce13

It's a depressing prospect; but it's still the least worse option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Pretty much the crux of the issue.

Extremely hard for schools to expell the serial trouble makers who really only go to school to play F*ck. Tbf the majority of them have barely been dragged up through childhood so it's not like they had a fair shot at life either.

Confiscation if caught using the phone in class/on school grounds and a serving of a penalty works perfectly as long as you have parental buy in and headbangers can be removed from the situation entirely.

Refuse to hand over the phone suspension. Ignore the suspension and you're looking at expulsion. Works grand as long as every adult is pulling in the same direction.

The problem with all this is the couldn't give a boll*x nothing to lose crowd (kids and parents included) ruin it for everyone and they can force the schools hand because their 12-15 year old is "entitled" to be there no matter how badly they behave.

its hard to tell, we ve no clue what a sf government would truly be like, but i do agree with some commentators, that theyd be pulled into a more centrist position, they certainly would mess up the odd thing, as ffg do, but the reality is, we may never actual experience a sf government, as they keep stuffing up and ffg are playing a perfect blocking game…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is absolutely incredible. Pearse thought he was on a winner, that he had found a €9m hole in a multi-billion euro budget and it backfires spectacularly, demonstrating once again that Sinn Fein jump on any populist bandwagon no matter their principles and their past record.

Once you see the teacher unions against something, you definitely know it will improve our education system.

• Advertisement

again, this wont do anything to address the underlying issues, nothing!

it’s not a game of 5 a side. You don’t give. Someone a chance of running the show to see what happens. Sf policies are full of holes and they keep flip flopping trying to get the popular vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭NiceFella

Your comparing apples and oranges. Drugs and smart phones aren't seen in the same way by the masses. Both are absolutely addictive, but one will destroy your life and the other will destroy your ability to concentrate and be present with others.

Obviously Proper education is needed on the negative impact smart phones have on youth. But we obviously need to start somewhere, and I think locking them away for a few hours a day will help them focus on the important thing when in school. That is Education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

In most of my classes in Asia this year, the phones are put in a safe in the morning. If a teacher wants the students to use them in class, they're taken out and then put back in after.

The difference is huge. Kids actually chatting and that during breaks.

Not sure why anyone would be against this. It's one of the biggest changes you can make for young people and it's relatively cheap if it works.

My school had a no phone policy and everybody chatted at lunch. We didn't need them to be locked away. Since when did schools with no phone policies allow people to take them out at lunch time?

As far as I know if the school allows the students out for lunch they can take out their phone to pay in the shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

SF trip themselves up on yet another issue. Thought they had a "gotchya" and got themselves…again.

Do they not co-ordinate with their colleagues in the 6 counties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There's a lot of freedom for gravy distribution when folks refer to 10m as tiny.

This is a 10m contract for someone to basically place bulk orders on AliExpress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭JVince

School principals seem to love this as do parents. Hugely beneficial for students for very small amount of money.

SF very obviously did not read the room nor realised that their colleagues in northern Ireland were very supportive and Pat Sheehan, MLA (SF) was particularly effusive in his support.

Maybe this is a result of losing two of their press handlers in the child abuse issues they have up there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

10M is tiny in the context of a national budget and it is absurd that anyone pretends otherwise.

It also is not going to be a "bulk order" as explained by the minister and easily readable in the linked article. I have very little time for anyone who hasn't even gone to that effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Which makes little sense considering their situation with kids and social media habits are similar to other countries. Perhaps thats why similar results on phone restrictions have been repeated in other countries. Here's some examples below (I have more). You still haven't provided a reasonable argument against this proposal.

How about Australia:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-22/mobile-phone-lock-and-learn-trial-in-wauchope/11209716

"So far the data seems to suggest the trial has had a really significant impact on the quality of learning going on in the classroom not only for the students but for the teachers," he said."

Or Ireland:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/a-school-smart-phone-policy-they-re-talking-to-each-other-more-1.4844016

“Teachers have found that they’re more tuned in to the lesson because there isn’t that distraction, there isn’t that necessity of checking the notifications and trying to have a quick peek at their phone when the teacher turns their back,” says Fitzmaurice.

Or Norway and the UK:

https://yle.fi/a/74-20100872

Izadi said that in Norway girls' results improved in the early teenage years, and bullying was reduced. Mental health also seemed to improve, as there were fewer visits to school psychologists.

In England smartphone bans were studied in post-16 education. Grades improved with the biggest strides made by the weakest students.

Post edited by Andrewf20 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

You haven't read the article, have you?

It's not €9m to be spent on pouches, it's 9m available budget (roughly 10k per school) for schools to come up with their own initiative to tackle the issue of phone use in classrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,261 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

To be fair, it’s not entirely clear from any of the many articles on this, that it won’t mean schools will be expected to spend the money on electronic pouches, in an attempt to have a consistent approach across all schools:

The money is to be used to buy the pouches and ensure there would be a consistent handling of phone use in all schools.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/scandalous-waste-of-money-government-to-spend-9m-on-pouches-to-lock-away-mobile-phones-in-schools/a2041840537.html

I’d highly doubt it’s the case that every school will receive an equal amount of funding given that some schools have more students than others, etc. There’s only been a vague notion so far of any proposals, with nothing more being said until I suppose the heat dies down a bit after putting the feelers out for the idea 😂

Initially when Foley was looking at the idea of a phone ban weeks ago, she was talking about ‘creating a culture’ and all the rest of it, by which “doing it for free, led by students themselves”, wasn’t an unreasonable assumption. To realise that the DES is spending €9m on this when I’m aware of teachers spending money out of their own pocket on arts supplies for their classes because it’s easier than going through the rigmarole in schools to get their money back, and those teachers only recently getting a 1% pay rise that’s been swallowed up by increased cost of living already… hairbrained schemes and wastes of money like this just tends to be a bit of a head scratcher, y’know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭amacca

Lol.....if this is the best bang for buck it illustrates just how starved of oxygen some of the brains trust around norma or norma herself is.

Ffs....give schools back up to impose rules....if there are lockers, leave them in the locker, if not leave them.in the bag and impose consequences if done one steps out of line....there's an alternative.

Then take that 9 million and spend it on something useful...actually consult with schools, teachers, school leaders before going off on a solo run to try and feather your own nest etc

Duplicate

Perhaps ...but I bet its costing 10 times less up there ....and well be told its a big steaming pile of nonsense at some stage in the future too

Duplicate

There you have it….this 100%

I'd like to see Norma address that instead of steadfastly ignoring such things.…not a chance of course.…

This problem with your proposal is that it appears much harder to police.

How do you actually monitor a few hundred kids throughout the day to leave their phones in their locker or bag, especially when phones are relatively small and easy to conceal?

As previously mentioned, 9 million is tiny.

How do you police them when they put a burner/decoy in the pouch?....because I'd bet that's where this is headed ...at that point you are back to having to police yhem just the same as you would have had the pouch not been introduced...

Eventually most will feel pressure to have the decoy ...tbh this nonsense could just increase the amount of phones per head of student population over time....definitely a whiff of the law of unintended consequences off this one...but you expect better from a "minister/handlers"....actually after decades of it I suppose I shouldn't....

My point would be it shouldn't be as hard to police if schools had authority and backup to impose these kinds of rules and make a student that won't comply take a break for a while.....that's an issue that needs addressing...a small but growing cohort of students that can't be disciplined and spend years disrupting others education with seemingly little or no effective deterrents etc

• Advertisement

Its entirely possible but trial studies suggest that for the most part this it not a common practice. Otherwise the positive trends seen with these trials wouldn't materialize.

I have zero issues with these pouches and the government being paying them. I do think if you can afford the phone and want to bring it to school you should have to buy the pouch but that's another argument.

I will admit I've seen some these pouches/phone lockers being discussed on TV in the past. I didn't like these clear phone lockers because your phone was on display and they'd have been pressure to keep up with the Jones.

However when you heard the students discuss it. I always felt it was very forced and not natural.

I do think these will have a bit of a positive effect but I feel some people are over hyping them but it will take a while.

When I was in Primary School nobody brought phones.

In secondary school I remember in first year some people brought phones from the get go and some of us followed the rules and left them at home. Then we sussed the waters and figured out what you can get away with. I think these will go the same.

I'm 95% sure I heard students discussing these and the biggest pain they found about them was queueing up to get their phones out for lunch/going home. That's easily fixed.

Are the positive trends in jurisdictions where there isn't a cohort very little if any rules seem to apply to?

Hard to know but pretty much all studies I read have given good feedback on this.

Im not expecting this to be a total solution but I hope it will make a decent amount of change. Most laws in life are rarely perfect solutions.

And as said previously, if 9 million was spent on this every 10 years, it would work out at around 32 cent per working adult per year which is peanuts.

as a said conspiracy stuff. Been pushed by a group setup to impersonate as a mother group and pushes anti Vax

you need to really consider where you get your information from

• Advertisement

I started school in 97.

In 2001 some of us got phones for our Communion. These were a waste nobody used them really.

Then in about 03/04 people started getting Nokia 3210's and basic Camera phones with very slow internet. We sent picture via infrared.

In 6th class a lot had some type of camera phone and we started experimenting with social media ie Bebo.

In first year people had various phones such as at Motorola Razor.

I'd say by second year we were getting active on social media and lots of us had Broadband at home.

At this stage we'd have been messing around on phones in school.

By the time 4th/5th year came around we started getting different smart phones. Some had cheaper one's and others had Iphones. Facebook became popular.

The Blackberry Curve and IPhone became popular.

I grew up with phones in school and saw people who were left run riot/strict parents/etc.

I'm aware social media is different now.

In Primary School it was a NoNo to bring phones and people fairly followed it.

In secondary it wasn't allowed, not even in your bag switched off. Yes, the majority of us did bring them and use it slyly however at some point since students seem to be allowed to whip out their phones a lot more for whatever reason in schools especially at lunch time from what I can tell.

Sorry, for the long post I thought I was reply o something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭plodder

To be fair, it’s not entirely clear from any of the many articles on this, that it won’t mean schools will be expected to spend the money on electronic pouches, in an attempt to have a consistent approach across all schools:

Why would there be a need for "a consistent approach across all schools"? Surely, it would be up to each school to decide.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/10/04/mobile-phone-pouches-will-not-be-forced-on-any-school-harris-says/

ok ,

So basically you weren’t in a school When mobile apps came about

Tik tok, ( founded 2016) Snapchat( founded 2011), YouTube shorts (founded 2020) ( instagram and Facebook are for old people) kids don’t even use WhatsApp now

smart phones are probably about 99% penetration and n school ,

you had no transport apps, google maps , you carried cash as opposed to using revolut which the older kids use to tap and pay .
    you used Walkman, discmans and iPods your music wasn’t on your mobile most kids will use Spotify or similar

your experience is outdated and not comparable

Yes, I know this. I never said I was.

I said I was in favor of these pouches.

I just said kids would put an old phone in the pouch and continue to work away on their old phone.

I also said that social media shouldn't be allowed until 16/18 and you should need ID to join these sites and the government should be doing more.

I'm not against these pouches at all. I just think they are sort of pointless and people will just work around them like we did with school rules and I feel some people are over hyping them.

Some kids will do that. But the majority won’t.

I was actually at a PTA meeting the night before the budget where the principal said he was going to introduce it, funded through voluntary contributions @about €26 each.

He had some good information from other Dublin schools that have been using them for a while. And it was fairly positive.

• Advertisement

That's good to know.

I also said working on them from 1st year is a good idea.

Can I ask what is the current phone policy in the school at the moment?

When I was at school back in the stone age. You had to be very sneaky to use your phone but I get the feeling this changed at students seem to walk around the corridors and use them in the school at lunch time now.

phone in the locker is the policy. With random spot checks.

One of the problems was parents contacting kids , or kids getting in touch with parents saying they weren’t feeling well and could they collect them. Without the phone they would shake it off and be grand.

What was the punishment if caught?

Will the punishment be harsher now if they don't have it in the pouch?

I know it sounds like I'm against these pouches but I'm just interested in how they will work.

Ie will the current rule breakers just continue.

@ted1

See in my day you phone would have been taken for a month if caught on it. No wonder it's a problem if it's just gone for a day.

That’s the thing - a consistent approach is required to create a culture, by means of applying peer pressure and ostracising people who don’t conform. That’s why I initially thought it was a good idea, because it wouldn’t cost anything to have students police each other’s behaviour and apply peer pressure on the student who whips out the phone in class to check on updates or out of sheer boredom, etc:

But we need a universal culture across all of our schools. A culture that ensures that schools are places of learning, places of engagement, and places of one-to-one interactions and group interactions. The mobile phone disrupts that. We’re looking to establish this culture of a mobile-free zone within our schools.

The scattergun approach is the one that leaves it up to individual schools to implement a policy however they please, and having the DES support schools in having the autonomy to implement a ban in an inconsistent manner which could vary greatly between schools, thereby reducing the influence of peer pressure and failing to create a culture of intolerance which the Minister has in mind, apparently:

I know that many schools are already using electronic pouches so that students can securely store away their mobile phones during the school day. Different schools do different things. Some schools have a policy of keeping the phone turned off in a student’s bag during the day. Others get students to put the phone in their locker. Schools will have autonomy to implement the ban in their own way. The department will support them in doing that.

https://www.mayonews.ie/news/comment---opinion/1601297/guest-column-minister-norma-foley-why-i-am-banning-phones-in-secondary-schools.html

From my understanding and experience of the way in which these policies are usually implemented in giving schools both autonomy and funding, the idea is that the school will be given the funds to buy however many pouches according to the schools student capacity, much like the way capitation grants are based on student enrolment:

https://assets.gov.ie/296915/8589247f-8eb4-4236-b284-6dfe903e3db8.pdf

For me it’s not that there’s €9m being spent on the idea, it’s that any funds at all are being spent on the idea when it should really cost nothing to be able to implement a consistent policy of no phones or mobile devices in the classroom with exceptions made for pupils who have a legitimate reason to have their mobile device in close proximity so they can use it in emergencies should the need arise, and all other pupils the phone remains in their school bag during class time on silent so it isn’t a distraction for the student in question, or a distraction for the rest of the class. That’s just the aspect where the phone as a distraction is removed, it still requires that the students are encouraged to engage in interactions with others, as opposed to burying their heads in a screen of whatever description, oblivious to the existence of the world around them.

for kids that need the phone for Bluetooth blood monitoring etc. there’s a Velcro version of the pouch . Which makes the phone more accessible. Other emergencies should be via the school office.

That’s great ted, but it misses the point - why the need for a pouch at all? All the Velcro version is doing, is adding additional complexity where there was never any need for the pouches in the first place. As you point out, and a system that is already established and has been in operation since I was in school over 40 years ago - contact is made through the school office!

Advertisement