Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault 5

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

got email this evening - lots of marketing gumpf - I’m just waiting now on when can I order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭weadick

Same here, I was expecting something interesting but just a load of nonsense.

• I’d say you managing to pass your theory test and learning to drive should be a higher priority!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They are. Theory tests and IBT all already done. Now it's just the tests I have to do.

Ain't no harm in a person dreaming do. It's what keeps us going having dreams.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

they’re saying early 2025 but you’d imagine they’d be taking orders now wouldn’t you? Also I’m not sure this sub 30k price will come through - just a feeling I guess

just watched a video there - pause it around 3.33

0-62 on the 95hp is 12s

122hp is 9s

150hp is 7.9s

In contrast ID3 is 7.3s

I thought given its size this would be a bit nippy - hmmm would need to test drive it just to see how it feels but figures on paper don’t look great do they? No doubt the 150hp version won’t be chape

Also- range:

40kw is 300km

52kw 400km

Again the ID3 58kw is 423km range

Sounds like the advertised (going on newspaper predictions not actual Renault official prices which I don’t think are released yet) base price which will likely be sub 30k will be for a poor power and range car

Post edited by Oscar_Madison on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭fafy

funny, when Derek Reilly passed by, and was comandeered !

Ms

No One will care or not many anyway. The 5 will sell on its Nostalgia alone.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

only if the price point is correct -back seats very cramped according to the video above

• Advertisement

Luckily for Renault they also sell the Scenic for people who need more space.

Ms

Exactly and the Clio and Megane-E tech too and now there is the new Symbioz on the way as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

ah yeah but it doesn’t have the nostalgic appeal and look of the new R5- I’m very surprised it’s so small in the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Got to nose around one of these during the week. It looks absolutely fantastic.

The one I saw was top spec in yellow, so I do worry how much a decent one like that will cost, but it’s a cracking looking car. Looks a million times better than the new Mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Never saw myself driving an EV but could really be tempted by one of these, depending on price

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dsandson

Prices for the UK here. Will be interesting to see at the Nevo show if it makes it.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/renault/5/buying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is retro done well. I wonder will they drop a petrol hybrid option in? As Fiat are struggling with the 500e and are being forced into fitting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

I was a huge fan of the 1980s Renault 5, my Aunt had one, she got it in 1981 when I was 1 year old, if I remember correctly it had around 40 Hp, I think it was just under 1.0L and the fan was driven off the engine.

I remember my Aunt taking us up the Wicklow Hills and it would always over heat and we'd stop and have a picnic while it cooled off. lol

While I like the retro exterior the inside is far too modern and ridiculously techy for my taste, it kind of runs the "retro" revival.

The 5 takes me back to a time you could fit 4 Children on the rear bench and another 5 in the boot !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Looks beautiful…glad they haven't moved to far away from the classic R5...Renault have really stepped up their game I think recently..love the look of the SUV Austral and the new Raphelle as well...

They have a new mid size SUV the Symbioze out that looks brilliant and looks to be very good value for todays market

Ms

Hopefully not. The future is electric. This 5 was only designed to be electric. Need to look forwards not backwards. A lot off people who drive or drove the current FIAT 500 only drove petrol so I guess that's what they still want dinosaur fuel.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Yes they are on a roll. It's called "Rafale" by the way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Unlike the Megane and Scenic, the 5 doesn't seem to have regen paddles. This seems like a pretty big omission. The Hyundai Inster which is smaller and likely cheaper than the 5 does have paddles.

Ms

"Unlike the Megane and Scenic, the 5 doesn't seem to have regen paddles. "

They Are probably keeping that for the Alpine model and the hot 5 if there is one.

"The Hyundai Inster which is smaller and likely cheaper than the 5 does have paddles."

It might have but it will never have the classic retroness and legacy of the 5.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

But The market hasn’t and isn’t fully ready for electric. Meanwhile these companies must make a profit on their investment rather than selling to a small niche. Empty sound bites about “the future” are just that

Ms

Well they will have to get ready because fuel is only going to get more expensive and the manufactures can no longer sell new ICE cars in Europe from 2030.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Far as I’m aware that applies to straight ICE engines so petrol/diesel hybrids will still be sold which is where the market has been going anyhow

The future is electric.

Need to look forwards not backwards.

they still want dinosaur fuel.

That's wishful thinking, there is no ICE ban in 2030, Germany, Poland and I think France rejected the ban because they know it's not practical and will decimate the European auto industry.

E>U idiot politicians can't grasp the fact that EV tech isn't cheap enough or offers enough range and recharge times are sh*t and won't change a lot in 2030. Not everyone wants to drive an expensive ecobox.

Millions of people have no home charging and would have to rely on DC charging and that isn't going to happen.

If more manufacturers offered a Rex type system of big battery and small petrol generator like the i3 then it would have converted a lot more people but the price of all the tech is too expensive. Not many people now are willing to pay 30+ K for a new car, both petrol and diesel car prices are gone to insane territory as manufacturers focus on large cars with too much tech.

Rex system means far less dependence on a public charging infrastructure. But Manufacturers had to make BEV cars to gain more carbon credits so they could produce more ICE cars, mad.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement

For different Regen strengths, I think that's a good idea because everyone has their own idea what Regen the want when they lift off the pedal.

I hated the no option full Regen in the BMW i3 but loved the option to have absolutely 0 Regen in the VW id3.

Having paddles means no going through menus to adjust it either, can do it on the fly so that would be a big + for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭D_D

But you set it once and its done… I have regen paddles in the Ioniq 5. Have never touched them once I set it to 'Auto Regen'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭yagan

EVs only account for 40% of BYDs sales, so no sign of a Chinese ICE ban.

People focus on the Chinese cities that were designed for EVs but overlook all the area inbetween. Lots of Europe, especially in the East are sparcely populated. Until solar powered low maintenance EV recharging stations are widely available outside urban zones I can't see any EU ICE ban happening.

Yeah different strokes for different folks.

Some cars set once and all that but if you want more regen going down a hill for example you have to change some setting.

There is no ICE ban happening anywhere, just the E.U spouting "you'll do what we say or else" BS. They know it won't happen, they're trying to scare manufacturers into making cars the vast majority of people don't want to buy claiming EV's are environmentally friendly and anything you say otherwise is misinformation.

Anyway, as I said earlier, Germany and 2 other countries rejected, Germany's auto industry is in enough financial trouble as it is and ICE ban would be the end of them but the Greens in Ireland, friends of the Earth and all those assholes would be quite happy about this.

To hear one of the Friends of the Earth muppets on about banning LNG and how these freaks are getting any air time at all is unbelievable. They're a total waste of space like the greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

People like myself who live in a house without a driveway, and there are many many homes like this, can't reasonably use an electric car. With nowhere to charge it, we'd be breaking all sorts of rules trailing cables across a footpath. As it stands, I can only buy an ICE car, so I would hope they'd come out with an ICE version (though I know it's unlikely).
    Electric is great, where it suits. Unfortunately, for a sizeable portion of the population, it just doesn't work.

Ms

" Germany's auto industry is in enough financial trouble as it is and ICE ban would be the end of them. "

Good. Except for Opel Nothing but overrated expensive rubbish only ever came from there anyway.

"To hear one of the Friends of the Earth muppets on about banning LNG and how these freaks are getting any air time at all is unbelievable. They're a total waste of space like the greens."

They are not freaks. They are people with a different opinion than you and maybe that are right. I was all ready to give out hi Mark Ruffolo myself last night on insta untill I read about LPG Gas terminals. Maybe you should look.

" With nowhere to charge it, we'd be breaking all sorts of rules trailing cables across a footpath. "

Thats just a lame and lazy excuse.

You do not have to trail caples across the footpath. There is now ways to have the caple go over the path or under it even to a charging point.

" As it stands, I can only buy an ICE car, so I would hope they'd come out with an ICE version (though I know it's unlikely). "

That's not my problem and just sounds like an excuse from you.

I hope the do not come out with an ICE version of the new 5.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

These people are insane.

https://www.friendsoftheearth.ie/act/we-need-a-planning-bill-that-blocks-lng/

I bet these people think electric cars are going to save the planet and I bet he ignores how lithium and cobalt are mined and the environmental damage done as a result, this is before it's even sent to factories in China…..

The fact is we need gas for millions of homes and business and whether it comes from domestic supplies or foreign can't change the fact that we need xxx amount of Gas we need xxx amount of gas, not forgetting electricity production too !

These NGO's shouldn't be influencing Government policy in relation to energy or any other department and shouldn't be given any airtime either.

What would be good to influence friends of the earth and others is to cut Ireland completely off all oil based fuels and products including gas and see what happens.

However, I won't argue against them when it comes to plastic !

The greens don't care if you walk or they'd expect you to wait countless hrs at charge points. I simply wouldn't pay the money for an EV again or any new car now considering the insane prices.

An ICE 5 would be great but God forbid, Renaults newest ev since what the Zoe , couldn't have an ICE in it, the 5 will help with the carbon credits so they can sell more ICE.

I really loved the original 5, it was such a great car for it's time, style wise.

The inside is just too modern, why did renault see the need to make it so ugly inside ?

At least when motorcycle manufacturers make modern retros they really do keep them close to their original design, pity car manufacturers don't do the same.

Instead of a 5 revival that is 100% different in every way they should have left it in the grave !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's far from lazy. Councils have been quick to give out about various means of charging outside the house. They have said anything that could incur an injury, the householder is rightly liable. Until their is an agreed upon means for people in houses without a driveway, you are only potentially opening yourself up to being brought to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gossamerfabric

All the reviews are complaining about the very poor rear legroom. Supposedly a Clio based EV is planned to slot between it and the Megane. I can't see how the Twingo next year could possibly have less rear space in it despite being 30cm shorter.

40kWh version will probably be the better car for those who like driving. it will be maybe 60 to 80 kilos lighter, cheaper and should still have the same rear suspension.

deleted

Not sure how the new 5 size would compare to the original but you can be sure it is bigger, no one complained about the size of the 5 in the 80s or fiesta etc, people just want to drive around in tanks today because everyone else is.

So good for Renault for making a small car , not everyone wants a big tank !

There's another side to the smaller battery story, 40 Kwh is maybe on the smaller size but yeah apart from the weight, with the 77 Kwh id3 I found myself still taking the diesel on longer trips because I wasn't arsed with the hassle of charging and all that nonsense any more and it wasn't worth a cent more come trade in so if people have access to ICE for the long trips I would say getting the small battery, 40-50 Kwh being maybe ideal is probably the best thing to do and save a tonne of cash.

The dilemma of course is would you spend so much on a new car in the first place if you're going to take the ICE on the long trips ? why not just buy a 2nd hand cheap EV ?

Advertisement