Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Home FAQ

1697071727375»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭fman

Yes having the problem with rte, also causes a knock on problem.

If I try to play rte gold, it goes through the motions and eventually does nothing. But if I try to play something else after that, it won't work. Need to tell it to stop after the failed rte attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭majo

All the RTE radio stations are gone from Tune In again today. Second time in two weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Lol! That's impressive! Now, if only she could get "Take the ramp onto the M50 labelled 'O Dheas'"...

Confirmed, all my RTE stations gone again. I refuse to listen to Ray Foley!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

ask the longest in the world its even better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What's pretty poor is struggling with ON and OFF instruction. Like. Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

RTE Radio 1 working again for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How do I set it so that the hub shows timers even when the radio is on? Like I'm listening to the radio but have 2 timers set but it's showing what's on the radio?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

My method, when cooking, is to shout at the hub from the far side of the kitchen, "Hey Google, keep showing the timers!", but they still only last for a few seconds before reverting to the radio display, so if you find an answer, please let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Has the voice on anyone's nest hubs just changed. Mines gone from UK to US for both me and the wife. Haven't changed settings on it but default option now selected. Will change back and see if it lasts. Google really trying my patience of late.

• Advertisement

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah I know but surely the point of settings is to stay the same and not randomly change back to defaults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Anyone else's speakers recently become incapable of playing what's asked?

Just the last couple of weeks. I can go into my Google activity and see that it's understanding me perfectly. I'll say "Play the album XXXX by YYYY" but just get something else altogether

Standard stuff I'm asking for too, nothing obscure. I can find it on YouTube music on my phone and cast it, but obviously that kind of defeats the purpose of the speaker

For example...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Googles ability to understand what I am saying seems to have dropped off a lot in the last few months.

Also it frequently seems have heard me but just doesn't do anything.

More specifically, on the Google Hub Max, if I ask it to stream a BBC radio station, it usually works and starts streaming on BBC Sounds but then it takes the first few sentences of whatever is playing on the radio as a command and comes back with "I don't know but I found the following on such and such site" or some other random crap.

I used to find it useful but now not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

There is a google home hub thingy in my house. I don't use it, but because I'm on the same wifi network, I always see the now playing on my phone. I have tried to figure out how to hide this on my phone permanently (I can swipe it away, but that only lasts until the next time somebody plays something on the home hub) - can anyone help here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭fman

There's a setting in the Google home app for the device itself. "Recognition and sharing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I see there's 17 features set to be removed from our smart devices, because they are under used:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/11/24034262/google-assistant-removes-17-features-layoffs-pixel-voice-commands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Never trust google to maintain a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Never used any of those features. No great loss.

• Advertisement

Any new features coming? Seems like it hasn't improved in 5 years.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

* Using your voice to call a device - found this useful to locate my phone in the house when I've misplaced it.

* Users will no longer be able to use the Search bar microphone to complete actions like turning on lights - I hope I can still do this by saying "ok Google" into my phone!

Surely the "hey Google where's my phone" will be staying. It triggers the find my phone on android?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Might be time to move to Alexa, anyone know if a hack of home speakers is possible ?

QQ gang

I have four Google mini speakers / Google home displays in my house.

I have Google meet app installed on my phone and I'm trying to do two things:

1. Call a specific device from my phone and not all devices.

2. Call 1 device from another device, E.g. my kitchen Google display to my kids bedroom mini speaker. When I ask Google to do this it tells me to configure the apps in my duo app. My understanding is duo and google meet are combined to be the one app now.... and I can't see anywhere in Google meet app to configure such a thing.

Anyone able to throw some light on this? Cheers.

Post edited by Nalz on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can't set radio alarms anymore. Getting rid of the device.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My Mini has gone a bit funny in the past few days. Won't respond at all to 'Hey/OK Google', or other times it seems to reboot itself with the opening chime. Or it'll stop playing radio/music.

Possibly goosed, try a reset to see if that helps

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ra0044

Hi.

I am setting up a wired nest doorbell and three hubs for my mother in law. All set up via Google home and nest app via her iPad. The problem is if we turn the iPad off the doorbell doesn't ring on the hubs. What am missing in the setup. I have the same setup at home but set up off an android phone without issues.

Any help would really be appreciated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Looked at some videos on how to reset and it won't really play ball.

Do have spare one. Proving a little finicky to set it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement