Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The 9 O Clock Show hosted by Various Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,949 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bobson, stop pretending, it's not fooling anyone.

What you tried to present as a bad review actually turns out to have been a good one. Albeit not impressed with him at one outside broadcast.

Having a right go at security hut/children's hospital/bike shed fiascos this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,545 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ironic, seeing Callan's big hero in politics is Charlie Haughey.

“When I was researching for the show, I realised I f***ing love Charlie Haughey. I’m obsessed with Charlie Haughey. In fact, Charlie Haughey is our best ever taoiseach,” he says. Before he filmed the episode, he gathered a group of young rising social media stars who are helping portray the cast of characters. “I asked them, ‘When I say Haughey, what pops into your head? And they said, ‘Corruption’. But I said, ‘No! There’s more to him than that. “He has done so many amazing things that are still around that you just cant ignore."

I'm sure it was 'balanced' love, a warts and all review of the man. Because he certainly took the proverbial out of Charlie' excesses and overspends too as the vid shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I very much doubt that Callan is one of the great political thinkers of our time. Some people who spend all day talking about it seem to be ones who know the least about it. The equivalent of the lad up on the barstool admonishing elite football stars.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Don’t think anyone claimed him to be a great political thinker of our time bobson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Heh heh ….had to chuckle when Callan was pillorying Starmer this morning for accepting ‘bungs’.

Sure weren’t half of RTE at the same thing?

Unbelievable!

He has pilloried what was going on in RTE many times.

Never said that he hasn’t Mr B. The irony of someone working for a concern famous for its activities in that regard pillorying another party or person for similar activities must have escaped you.

• Advertisement

Brendan, there is no 'irony' if he has also pilloried RTE.
    Are you saying employees are all responsible for what went on in RTE and must be silent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It seems to me RTÉ staff are largely silent, I have not heard anything from any RTÉ staff member. They all seem to be happily silent over the last decade and are particularly silent at the minute. Surely one unhappy RTÉ staffer would make a statement.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

After a decade the union protest in some fanciful act of catch up, I have heard nothing from them in terms of the services that RTÉ provide to the public. Its been about making sure their jobs are retained, very little of significance said by their union or by any staff willing to put their head above the parfait.

Imagine none have mentioned that the Staff Rep on the board during this period is now the Company Secretary, nor any of them asking why Adrian Lynch was promoted to Deputy DG, and who promoted him.

______

Yesterday

Ask who?

Here's what you said:

I have not heard anything from any RTÉ staff member. They all seem to be happily silent over the last decade

As the photo and article show that is patently untrue even if you move the goalposts to say that is the Union.

Emma O'Kelly's job is in the Education dept. She cannot use the publicity that gives her to voice her criticism or to ask questions. Same for the other staffers. Union reps would be asking questions staffers have and we would not necessarily be privy to those.

It's a ridiculous complaint tbh.

Emma O'Kelly starts of about the woes of Researchers in RTÉ (Low paid workers, what is a researchers pay grade?).

She then suggests how staff are working towards a strong service while others in the organization in leadership roles were not. (A decade and no-one put up their hand to say, hold on this is crap, rather "why do we have to return to the office?").

She then starts getting on the same line as the executive boards and leadership teams, even quotes Mr. Willie O'Reilly.

We always knew that RTÉ’s dual funding model — combining commercial revenue with TV licence funding — contained a conflict, but now it seems that commercial interests have won out at the expense of staff and viewing public alike.

Former group commercial director of RTÉ Willie O’Reilly told Morning Ireland yesterday that RTÉ “has become increasingly dependent on commercial revenue”.

“If the money doesn’t come in, the programmes don’t get made,” he said.

RTÉ published a new public service statement in March that states that it is “independent of political, commercial and other interests”. But when programme presenters are driving around in cars provided by commercial sponsors and RTÉ is using taxpayers’ money to wine and dine advertising executives, can the broadcaster really say that?

This is the RTÉ line and always was, what happened? or what just happened for the Union to come around to RTÉ's view?

The TV licence fee has long been unfit for purpose

Dee Forbes and Moya Doherty said it for years. Changing the fee does not change RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Ask the Director General or the Leadership team, simply

1. Why was a promotion given to Mr. Lynch during this period and is there a need for a Deputy DG?
    2. Why was Mr. Shortt promoted to a position of Company Secretary? A position that is key to governance when he sat on the board of directors during a period of lacked governance.

Those are simple questions.

______

Yesterday

How do you know those questions haven't been asked via their Union?
    How do you know staffers are even concerned about it?

You think there is an onus on staffers to comment publicly on the service provided? There is no onus on staff anywhere else to comment on the service their workplace provides, Eir, Google, Intel, or Joe Bloggs Engineering etc. Why would there be an onus on RTE staff?

I don't because they are silent on the answers!

So staffers aren't concerned that a member of Dee Forbes executive board has been given a promotion? The same executive board that saw 50% of its members leave the organisation! If they aren't they should be.

So staffers are not concerned that a member of the Board of RTÉ who was supposed to represent them as a Director of the company and who was supposed ensure good governance has now been promoted to company secretary … if they aren't they should be.

I am not suggesting that is an onus, but its very quiet from all staff and former staff, no protests outside RTÉ lately!

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

In what other company would you hear stuff like that publicly only through a Union. If there is no onus then there is no legitimate complaint.

I am not suggesting there is an onus, I just think its hard to believe that Union and staff have largely been quite over the years on most issues surrounding RTÉ and that you rarely hear anything bad said about RTÉ by staff. Its a cushy number and Ms O'Kelly honestly believes that RTÉ do a good job as a public service broadcaster, its purely management at fault.

My point is if things were getting so bad, why weren't concerns raised, they seem surprised by the revelations.

Two complains you have put forward a job going for €150k and whether or not people return to the office.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Well who knew of the excesses and misses of Management?

It is possible to have the view that RTE has fulfilled it's remit as a public service broadcaster well while being critical of management and board. Many inside and outside RTE believe that.

P.S. If you are criticising staff for not speaking out then you clearly believe there is an onus on them to speak out publicly.

In 2016 Dee Forbes joined RTÉ from Discovery Inc. She had spent her time there between Cork, London and Scandinavian countries. On her arrival "back" to Ireland she was given a €50k moving fee, in a company that continually called for more money.

On top of this every DG was give a Car Allowance of €25K each year, all of whom would circle the wagons in Oireachtas committees to say they didn't have enough money.

They cut children's content (though highlight by the union in fairness), saying that they would not cut. Since 2011 2FM has been funded via the licence fee, with no cuts made to the service during the last 13 years, yet Drama was cut back, and Comedy is none existent.

Cuts to news programming on TV and on Radio, suggesting a move online (didn't happen).

A summer holiday every August and a part-time day time show that has just return to air after a 4 month break.

They held fast on the Toy Show the musical until the Tubriby wages were reassessed. Not one of the board would have even looked in to the Musical it had largely been put to rest as far as the Executive and Board were concerned.

There is a litany of things that happened over the last number of years.

No onus but a little bit of questioning wouldn't be hard.

______

Yesterday

The info about RTE excesses had to be pried out of them with a crowbar. Yet you expected ordinary staffers to be aware of it all. Even if they did know you expect them to speak out even having seen what happens to whistleblowers in this country if they are isolated voices.
    Crazy and just wrong.

No other staff of similar organisations would be criticised in this way.

Not the forum to be getting into what happened in RTE, so I'll leave it there.

All of what I said was publicly available prior to the scandal. You just have to read their annual reports and their press releases.

While RTÉ themselves have an investigations team and a current affairs team, the best the could must muster was a Prime Time special were RTÉ pretended they were closing Lyric FM, something during the report no one pointed out RTÉ couldn't unilaterally do.

______

Yesterday

Spot on Ro, the staff as professional journalists were quite happy ,it would appear, to turn a blind eye to the goings on in RTE, whilst appearing to have plenty of time to scrutinise other companies and state bodies.

Even in the Birthday Gate controversy they circled the wagons and refused to come forward.

It is possible to have the view that RTE has fulfilled it's remit as a public service broadcaster well while being critical of management and board. Many inside and outside RTE believe that.

@FrancieBrady many might but they be hard pressed to prove it. and I will leave it at that.

______

Yesterday

How would you prove it isn't? Attacking individual programmes doesn't really cut it.

By comparison to like sized countries RTE's output across a wide range of programming compares favourably imo. Has it's faults as well.

I attack the whole of RTÉ not just individual programmes. RTÉ have massive faults, I have outline a good few today on this thread.

So RTÉ do it slightly better than broadcasters in other countries, but what if other people in other similar sized countries are saying the same about their PSB?

______

Yesterday

RTÉ is a failed public service broadcaster, I have outlined my reasoning for that time and time again here on boards, the mismanagement of RTÉ just helps prove that even further. Imagine how good RTÉ could be if you think RTÉ is a good PSB!

A person in lets say Denmark might be saying :-

"By comparison to like sized countries DR2's output across a wide range of programming compares favourably imo. Has it's faults as well."

Or a finnish person might say: -

"By comparison to like sized countries YLE's output across a wide range of programming compares favourably imo. Has it's faults as well."

Or a New Zealander might say: -

"By comparison to like sized countries TVNZ's and RNZ's output across a wide range of programming compares favourably imo. they have faults as well."

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Very much a case of an unstoppable force meets an immovable object around here now. Tbh, listening to Callan’s Kicks would be preferable to reading it.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Your opinion.
    Is it a majority opinion among consumers of RTE, I don't think it is.

RTE has faults, nobody is in denial of that.

Did I ever say it was anything but my opinion? But I hope I back that opinion up by some fact that lead me to the conclusion that it is a failed broadcaster.

I don't know how you have come to the conclusion that the majority of RTÉ consumers are happy with the service they provide.

And what do you mean by RTÉ consumers, those that use their service or those that pay for the service via the licence fee and taxation?

For example I don't consume Children's Content on RTÉ but I know it is important, but I also know that RTÉ have let it down over the last 2 decades or more in terms of funding.

______

Yesterday

I reach the conclusion by looking at the people returning to listen to the range of programming they offer. Or the survey last year after the scandal that had only 20% wanting RTE scrapped.

This is again gone too far off topic, so I am out.

RTÉ was never that popular to begin with. Both RTÉ Radio 1 and RTÉ 1 are the traditional local TV channels, it never had commercial competition from independents (though in more recent years Radio 1 has seen a competitor in NewsTALK). UTV was always the most popular channel in Norther Ireland for this localization.

From the beginning audience began looking for alternatives to RTÉ on TV. Aerials were erected across the board counties and east coast to pick up reception from BBC and ITV, this lead to the development of cable across Dublin, with a hodge podge of local cable operators (ultimately merging in the 2000s to be come UPC and Chorus) and within that I could go on about the arrival in rural areas of MMDS. By the late 1970s RTÉ had introduced RTÉ2, its purpose to provide the best of British TV to audiences in the south of the country, by the 1980s Cork and Limerick begin to get cabled and the direction of the second channel slightly changes.

Similar examples of cabelisation of countries can be seen in countries that sit beside larger countries that speak the same language, but for Ireland to go with them just for TV!

2FM is set up to fend of the popularity of the Pirates by the late 1970s and this continues into the 1980s with the arrive of Independent TV and Radio contracts.

Local Radio is a hit, why because it lies in a small market with only 3 other options (one of which is an Irish language option). Much like RTÉ Radio 1, Local Radio has the local ear. Audience want to hear about their regional news and their national news, so RTÉ Radio is a go to, as is local Radio. National Commercial radio was a difficult set up, with century radio failing and Radio Ireland eventual becoming Today FM to compete with 2FM.

Over the last 25 years RTÉ 1 audience has ranged from 18% to 25%, but this isn't far of what it was getting in the 1990s with less competition. RTÉ2 on the other had has seen a massive fall in audience, once at 10% until 2006, without sport it can sometime only muster 4% share. You might argue that this is due to online competition, but just look at the direction of the second channel and consider, while audience switch of TV RTÉ2 has lost a further audience. Irish TV get between 48% and 51% of the audience across 14 channels, a similar market share to what 4 channels were once getting). And whether you like it or not VMTV/TV3 channels are ITV channels so RTÉ and TG4 really only make up 25% - 30% of the TV audience (3 of those channels are simply +1s).

RTÉ radio is in a similar situation, Dubliners in particular were tuning into BBC Radio, while many were tuning to Radio Luxembourg for the top 40. Followed by local pirates. Local Radio makes up 50% of the audience in many regions, RTÉ's total 20%, with 2FM much like its sister TV station seeing flight of its audience.

Though I expect that many here still believe that only by paying high wages could RTÉ Radio and TV retain the audience that they continue to have.

As for the 20% of the people who would like to see RTÉ gone, how was the question put. For example if the option was to Keep RTÉ or to drop RTÉ, I would keep it, but if someone said Split it up like they did with FAS, I choose splitting it up.

RTÉ is not strong public service broadcasting, it never was. And Irish TV is pretty shite.

And that is failing to mention the 15% of people who even before the scandal did not want to pay the TV license many I believe refused to pay due to RTÉ not a dislike of Public service broadcasting. (While the extra numbers have yet to be brought back up and even the government has decided that the 85% figure of people paying will not return over the next 3 years).

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

I actually caught a few minutes of this this morning. Decided to not immediately change over. He was going on about the womens rugby team beating the All Blacks. Now he never had a Monaghan accent, but has his voice got really plummy recently? More Clonskeagh than Clones if you catch my drift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Would you prefer a presenter with a strong Monaghan accent, Bobson?

that’s a good question, Brian. I have a very low tolerance for border county accents in general. Sounds like someone is giving a prostate exam to a donkey. I don’t like a forced “D4” accent either. Hmmmm. Difficult

A lot of folk talk that way over around Inniskeen, much further south and east than Clones. I was listening to Callan a while before I realised he was lucky enough to be a Monaghan man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

So, still hate-listening to this, have you not found something else to occupy your time Dr?

Annual commitments of RTÉ (or annual perception of RTÉ …put out by RTÉ)

Maintain public perception that RTÉ has high quality content and services at >75%
    Commitment not achieved. 58% of Irish adults agreed

Maintain average weekly reach for all RTÉ services at or above 90% (18–34)
    Commitment not achieved. Average weekly reach was 74%. This is then followed by an excuse !

Maintain public perception that RTÉ programmes and services are easily accessible on a range of devices at >70%
    Commitment largely achieved. 68% of Irish adults agreed.

Maintain public perception that RTÉ provides trusted N&CA at >80%

Commitment not achieved. 70% of Irish adults agreed, which is just marginally behind 2022’s score of 72%. Trust in N&CA dipped in Q3 2023 however rebounded well in Q4.

Maintain public perception that RTÉ is trustworthy at >75%
    Commitment not achieved. 52% of Irish adults agreed

These are not commitments, a commitment would be to say you going to do something not to make people think you are doing something.

And also RTÉ in 2022 said

Maintain public perception that RTÉ has high quality content and services at >75%
    Commitment not achieved. 63% of Irish adults agreed.
    See contextual commentary in Introduction.

And even contextual speaking in 2021 (of which there is no context)

Commitment not achieved. 65% of Irish adults agreed. See contextual commentary in Introduction.

These are reported by RTÉ themselves and a question has to be asked as to how they came to their 58% - 65% conclusion. They are perceptions as I say not commitments.

For example I you might perceive this post to be way off topic, but I am committed to the view that 85% of people reading this post think it is relevant! I am sure I have not met that committed perception and much like RTÉ.

Wha!

______

Yesterday

Hmmmm.. noticed that Callan took down the main political parties in Ireland on his ‘riff’ this morning.

Not a mention of the largest party in opposition……. Very interesting.

Callan pillorying Kamala Harris again this morning … what has the lad got against her?

Wonder will he go after SF on the serious stuff going on up North….. uhmmm

• Advertisement

Lad must be onto Connolly House for direction on this one Breener……

Aaah lad is fighting on several fronts Breener, the auld command room up in the Farney must be under pressure.

Didn't listen this AM Brian.

Has the lad we were breathlessly told had his 'wings clipped' gone rogue again? 😁

He had a cut at Trump and Harris. The Brenner seems only to have heard the cut at Harris.

• Advertisement
Advertisement