Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Indo - Greatest players of all time ranked in every position

• 07-10-2024 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

Anyone have the list form the Indo for Football/Hurling?

Behind a paywall. https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/hurlings-greatest-players-of-all-time-ranked-in-every-position-from-goalkeeper-to-left-corner-forward/a867132172.html

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Hurling

1 Tony Reddin

2 Bobby Rackard

3 Nick o'Donnell

4 John Doyle

5 Tommy Walsh

6 Ger Henderson

7 JJ Delaney

8 Lory Meagher

9 Jack Lynch

10 Christy Ring

11 Henry Shefflin

12 DJ Carey

13 Jimmy Doyle

14 Nicky Rackard

15 Eddie Keher

Admittedly all of thee things are matters of opinion and a load of nonsense but the Hurling selection is ridiculous.

Basically the only modern day players considered all played for Kilkenny in the 00's and coincidentally Martin Breheny wrote Cody's autobiography and was in love with Kilkenny during cody's era.Not arguing they don't deserve to be selected just surely there were other good players from the last 50 years.

Goalkeeper and all of the full back line being from 1960's and earlier and both midfield from the 30s and 40's is ridiculous.

Football

1 Stephen Cluxton

2 Enda Colleran

3 John O'Keefe

4 Sean Flanagan

5 Tomas O'Se

6 John Joe O'Reilly

7 Martin O'Connell

8 Jack O'Se

9 Mick O'Connell

10 Sean O'Neill

11 Sean Purcell

12 Pat Spillane

13 David Clifford

14 Peter Canavan

15 Kevin Heffernan

Football selection is a little more reasonable although I'd have Brian Fenton instead of Mick O'Connell (Having read up more and more about Mick O'Connell I get the distinct impression he was slightly overrated and a myth developed about him that wasn't wholly based on reality) and I'd have Matt Connor in the team as well probably instead of David Clifford (who'll be in that sort of team by the time his career is over)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Treble double

The shorter inter county season is really forcing some of these so called Gaa journalists to scrape the bottom of the barrel. This is the type of nonsense a national school student might undertake as a project, not a journalist in a national newspaper. What a load of codswallop. Breheny involved enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Nice one thanks.

I tend to agree with you about KK in the hurling, 4 players from essentially the one team is overkill.

I'd have Brian Whelehan ahead of JJ Delaney for a start but not sure what the rules were.

I'd have Joe Canning too obviously but I'm biased 😆

And yeah Clifford hasn't done enough yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Breheny spends the winter making up these sort of lists (or regurgitating them from previous articles); you'd think he'd just retire, he hasn't written anything worth reading in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The a current best 15 can stir up a good debate sometimes. Or the All-Star selection.

But it's not even interesting to compare a player from before most of us were even born, to a modern player.

I have literally no opinions or thoughts on Jack Lynch as a hurler. I don't even remember him being Taoiseach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Was Kevin Heffernan better than Mickey Linden, Stephen O'Neill, Gooch Cooper, Bernard Brogan, Steven McDonnell, Mattie Forde. I think not. Didn't have any of their skills. I watched some clips back of Heffos play. And it was typical of the play 40 or 50 years ago. Headless lumping the ball up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭gigantic09

I'd have Cuchulainn instead of Jack Lynch in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Obviously Leaving out Mick Mackey is just not a serious selection . He was the greatest of the 1930s and invented the solo.

Kyle Hayes should probably be on it now and he's only 26. He's better than JJ Delaney as it stands and he's only coming into his prime. By the way I'd still have JJ on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

As a Meath man who chose to play for Armagh, it is probably the best chance for those counties.

I think the reason Heffernan gets included is that he changed the role of corner forward somewhat as he was a roving corner forward and didn't stay in the full forward line all the time so it's more the tactical innovation he introduced as a player that gets him credit as much as his ability.

Whelahan was named the second best right half back behind Tommy Walsh bt you could argue he could have been accommodated on the other wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Ian OB

I'd put Stephen O'Keefe or Nicky Quaide in goal.

No Ken McGrath or Tony Browne? On this alone the list should be dismissed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Breheny would do a bush tucker trial on I'm a Celebrity if it meant he didn't have to cover club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Even if we had seen in person every player of the last 100 years it is an act of futility to compare players of different eras to each other anyway. If you put a modern top inter county player in their prime up against a legend of yesteryear in their prime in the All-Ireland final of 2025, the legend of yesteryear gets destroyed, there is no doubt. However that shouldn't be reason to look down on the legend of yesteryear in anyway, they were playing an almost different sport in a different era with all that comes with it.

If Nicky Rackard for example was born in 1998, grew up in the same era as Cian Lynch for example with its improved standard of living and medical knowledge, the same sporting environment as Cian Lynch, where money is no object, was exposed to the vast increases in knowledge of strength and conditioning, diet, recovery times etc. that have occurred since his time, benefited from the best modern coaching, using modern equipment, on modern pitches, to the modern interpretation of the rules, etc. etc. would Nicky Rackard had gone on to become a legend of the game in this modern era?

Obviously we can't ever know the answer, but I think it would be highly likely. The point is you can only compare players to their peers of the same era, imagining who would win in a duel between John Doyle and Aaron Gillane is pointless when you consider the eras in which they play, and this is why I hate lists like the one that led to this thread. You could even argue that the increased rate of change in the game in recent years has meant that even comparing players as recent as the late 90s/early 00s to modern players for example is now pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭I says

what would the greats make of the throw ball that’s being played now?
    You can’t compare the eras at all, different hurls, skills and fitness.
    How many of the modern players would field high ball in the era of the double or survive ground hurling and the general toughness.

Modern players are fitter and better conditioned but you’ve second and third man tackles now like rugby league there’s no even flow of a game now it’s either a charge or holding onto the ball too long.
    Scores in matches are gone through the roof with points or goals this years final had what 67 scores over 90 mins. Accuracy and speed but a bit basketball like scoring 😂.
    Enjoy what we’re watching and in a few years when a young lad comes out with a hurl measured from the hip you know it’s going back to old school timbering 😂. It always evolves so there’s no point in comparing eras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭randd1

There's a reason why the print media is almost exclusively against the split season.

The longer the season goes on, the more they don't have to write fluff pieces like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭tritium

tbh the football list is basically looks like a few old lads sitting with a rake of pints and blathering on about the good aul days. No Fenton, no Gooch, Clifford added on the back of what exactly, maybe two very good seasons as a senior and a pile of hype. I know these are always subjective but you could make a pretty iron clad case against most of the selection. I say that having seen almost all of those lads play. the players they’ve left out are frankly ludicrous, which may well be the point of clickbait like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Well no Matt Connor makes it redundant from the get-go, and I understand these lists like to cause controversy but…

Also, GAA is not like soccer where the best players will gravitate towards the best teams. They are stuck with the county they were born in, which makes it a bit daft to have it so concentrated on certain counties, especially in football which would be more widely played. Mattie Forde would be one name that would jump out.

Very true. I gave Mattie the nod in Post #10 above. Declan Browne from Tipperary is another to spring to mind. Gary Brennan from Clare. John Galvin from Limerick. I'm not suggesting that they be on the list of the greatest 15 of all time - they are more once-off type of players from the weaker counties. But they might not be far off the list if one were to really dig deep into whatever statistics make a player the greatest players of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You could have five thousand different teams in there and I appreciate its just his opinion but I find Breheny very inconsistent as gaa pundit.

The love in for Clifford is also strange. He has not even gone through third of his career yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭cms88

The hate for him is even more strange. Then again Colm Copper it was the same. No matter what he did he was always ''over hyped''

With all of these teams i can never understand how someone can pick someone who likely played before they were even born.

Yeah that is exactly what I thought.

Alternatively, though, there is a demographic that still buys newspapers every day- and that demographic will approve of this list - so maybe fair is fair.

Like, are you a customer of the Indo? If not, then why should they care what you think.

But thats not the case with the journalist who wrote the piece.

True.

My hurling team (players from my time watching) would probably be:

Damien Fitzhenry

Ollie Canning

Brain Lohan

Sean Finn

Tommy Walsh

JJ Delaney

Pádraic Maher

Brian Whelehan

Tony Kelly

Cian Lynch

TJ Reid

Shefflin

Eoin Kelly

Joe Canning

DJ

(Whelehan could play anywhere sur)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,359 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Goalkeeper is a tough one. The 90's was a golden era in that position.

• Advertisement

What "hate"? No hate just bit stupid to put a guy who isn't even over half his career played yet.

Funny enough Cooper would be in my first 15

There is a huge amount of hate from certain areas of the country for Clifford. He has one below par game and next thing he's no good.

Still makes little sense.

You almost can't even complete players from the 2000s to players now, not to mind players from the 30s or 40s.

Yeah agreed -

I think with these things you either suspend the disbelief, or you just ignore it.

You cant obviously compare across eras. You can say who was the best of their time, or who was the most influential. Like that thing of Kevin Heffernan 're-inventing the role of the corner forward'….but was he any good?

Funny enough - the all time highest scorer in all Ireland championship football is Cillian O'Connor, and not just that but his scores per game outperforms all other players in the top 20 highest scorers - and yet he is nowhere near this list. Just food for thought.

• Advertisement

Read comments on social media and you'll see what i mean. Although i get a feeling you already know what i mean.

Explain?

I don't have any social media. But fair enough.

Is it Kerry supporters or other supporters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This exercise was done in the year 2000, the Teams of the Millenium. And then there is the Hall of Fame. It wouldn't be hard for a journalist to rob those resources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling_Team_of_the_Millennium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAA_Football_Team_of_the_Millennium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAA_Hall_of_Fame

• Advertisement

As i said it comes from two particular parts of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People don't hate Clifford.

They are just sick to their holes of him being overrated. He hasn't earned it and it isn't based on achievement. He has gotten more awards for being David Clifford than he has ever got on actual merit.

And don't pretend he isn't overrated, when here he is literally named as one of the greatest players of all time.

Its a joke.

Never won anything on merit? Care to explain that one? What exactly was it based on? Out of interest what county are you from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,359 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Your mistake there was reading comments on social media.

I agree with your first sentence. Don't agree with the rest.

It's not hatred. It is obviously jealousy and begrudgery. I have been playing and watching football for the past 40 years, and I haven't seen anyone as good/talented/skillful as D Clifford. I have never heard of neutrals turning up to Croke Park to watch a junior club match, basically cause one particular individual was playing. He (with help from the brother) brought their small little club to All-Ireland victory. He scored 4 goals and 4 points in a minor All-Ireland final. That is 16 points contributed in a game by one person. In my opinion, he has gone on to prove the promise that he has shown as a youngster. He's not going to be spectacular in every game, and detractors will try to point to a couple of performance that were off colour.

Dublin dominated for over a decade and their fans contended that they were the best team ever. It was a kick in the balls to them that Clifford came along 8 years ago, taking the plaudits of being the best player at an individual level, and a lot of those fans tried to dampen his abilities whenever they could. It's understandable and human nature. But in reality, the majority of GAA fans can see Clifford as he is - a player that can do things on the pitch that no other player can do.

Just to note that I am not from Kerry, and not a Clifford family member. Have never met him; I just have great admiration of how he has performed on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And I'm not from Dublin, and I know plenty of lads who put up big scores in minor and club games. Hell, we could name various players who scored more than that on the senior stage and we aren't proclaiming them the greatest of all time.

Your post demonstrates exactly the type of hyperbole that Clifford receives, as if neutrals never went to watch an exciting player in Croke park before. I mean, you have to ignore the entire history of the GAA to actually believe that one to be true.

And why would I be "jealous" of an intercounty player, I've never understood what that is even supposed to mean. Did Clifford steal my shooting boots or something? Do I get better if he was a worse player? Of course not, so its a bit of a silly way to dismiss peoples opinion.

Is Clifford a great player? Of course he is, I'd love to have him on my team. Is he the greatest player ever and has he done anything at all that great players before him didn't already do better? Nope, he simply has not.

The only thing you got right there is that you're not from Dublin:-

- He scored 4-4 in an all-ireland final - intercounty. Against elite competition. I didn't mention anything about club matches or other senior matches, where you will often come across mis-matches.

- I have never heard anyone say to me that they are going to Croke Park, for the sole purposes of seeing one player, and to be present in the event that he might do something special like he did against Tyrone couple of years ago. People of go t matches as a neutral in anticipation of a good match, or there could be a couple of intercounty players involved, or it may be one of the bigger clubs in Ireland. But I am talking about Fossa. If it was Fossa in Croke Park, and someone like say Paul Geaney was playing, how many people would go as a neutral.

- I didn't say anything about you being jealous. Don't flatter yourself by comparing yourself to him. I don't know where you are from, but I am referring to rivalries. Of course, a person from one county begrudges success in a rival county. That is where most of the comments from Dublin personnel is coming from. Nothing wrong with it. It's natural. But might as well point out what it is, rather than writing it off as hatred.

- No player that I have ever seen has performed as consistently great as he has between the age of 19 and 25 (which he currently is). I'd be interested if you could name these great players that have done his equal in those 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You can use this archive.is

https://archive.is/JLvRL

Not many name's really considered from from the historically weaker hurling counties. It does not say much for the game of hurling over a very long period of time.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Dickie10

myself and a friend have been giving out yards about Breheny for years and his "journalism" with GAA he loves putting the boot into some counties and makes darlings of others. anyway he is just a very poor GAA analyst its like hes stuck in 80s and 90s. his tripe is so bad that myself and my friend were messing at the end of the inter county season saying it wont be long til marin breheny has a top 20/50/100 lists in irish indepnedent. we were thinking he must be running out of road soon with them lists, we were waiting for the "top 20 left footed players ever in GAA" or "the top 50 redheaded players EVER in GAA" . Top 20 underrated/overrated players. top 10 what if moment in GAA EVER! absolute nonsense just cover all the GAA thats still going on. maybe the two weeks before christmas and christmas week is ok for that tripe, not when the GAA club season is coming to a climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I saw Brehenys book about these players in easons. What in the name of god is the point in publishing a book when you print the list of players, and the reasons why, in the paper?

Btw the hurling team is ridiculous. Can't pick them all based on the teams of the century and millennium. Those teams are redundant now. Another 40 years have passed since 1984 so we should have another Team of.....

I think DJ Carey is a bit overrated too. Was very good don't get me wrong. But Joe Canning was a better hurler and did it in clutch moments too. All round better than Carey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement