Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you were in charge of the 13 Billion windfall for Ireland what would you use it for?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/14bn-apple-windfall-to-be-spent-on-housing-roads-and-water-infrastructure/a342192280.html

"The Government has agreed in principle to invest the €14bn Apple tax revenue in housing, roads and water infrastructure."

No public transit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭forumdedum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The healthcare system is a joke. If you try get into a gp practice now it's near impossible.

My father is on chemo at the moment. He has to drive 40 mins tomorrow to get something out because the place in his own town is full.

The population is rising and the heath care needs investment to deal with that.

The overspend on the children's hospital is a joke by the way.Much worse than the bike shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The healthcare system is a joke. If you try get into a gp practice now it's near impossible.

Ironically that's the only fully privatised part of the health system…

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One quite close to home for me.

€1 billion spent on special needs assistance to make the lives of sick and disabled children and adults better with a special task force trained to punish any and all that caused physical emotional or mental harm.

We are people too and we deserve to be treated as such by society.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Soc_Alt

I would get Norway on the phone And ask for advice,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Money also isn’t going to make GPs magically appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was down in my surgery earlier getting bloods done . Place was like a mini A&E…. It was ridiculous, as expressed in another thread, I arrived 5 minutes early, didn’t get a space in the waiting room, and I was 35 minutes from my appointment time, to walking in to the practitioner so 40 minutes from walking into the surgery to getting called, and this is the AM. The phlebotomist was an uncharacteristically cranky cûnt who got double annoyed when he realised that the notes on his PC didn’t have the correct information regarding how many blood draws to make….

my own belief is that they shouldn’t take on too many patients and they won’t be running around chasing their tail not knowing what’s what and asking people to sit on a wooden bench in a window with no back on it for any duration let alone 35 minutes, there were 3 of us sharing it not being able to access the waiting room…Not very professional, dignified, comfortable or acceptable… or safe if you had a movement disorder the thing was varnished and slippy as fûck with no rail to help you up..…

So whilst you can’t make GP’s appear, if you are determined to flood the country with new people to the extent that’s happened, is happening and will continue to, you best get about investing in people such as healthcare practitioners to assist and look after them and us. Both in hospitals and community facilities….either put up the resources .ie some of this €13 billion or shût up with this ‘ ohh yeah no limits’ irresponsible attitude and cheerleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement

Elderly local friend had the temerity to fall ill on a Friday evening. Got to wait in hospital until the doctor could see him on Monday. Fortunately, he didn't die. Don't know if he was on a trolley during this time, he's still in hospital after 2 weeks (yet another failing of the medical system keeping people in hospital way too long.)

There was something in the news about some slight movement to do 7 day week/8 hour day doctor coverage in some hospitals. Might happen. What a novel idea, how about 24x7 and pay for it by reduction in administrators?

First, a referendum on removing any reference in the Constitution to Jesus (there's at least the preamble needs to go.)

Then, remove the RCC from any and all relationships with any schools or universities.

It can continue its own religious schools, paying their own way, with no state subsidies. $13bn should be more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Buy apartments and houses for refugees and invite more in.

Nah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

But you need administrators to administrate efficiently. Like this:

Must be 3 sets of crutches here that we couldn't return even if we wanted to. A perfectly usable surgical bed was left to rust into uselessness in a neighbours yard. Just left there, repeated again and again around the country.

Waste and waste some more.

New health centre opened in my area a couple of months ago which was badly needed. But when it opened they had no phone line or internet, so they were trying to manage appointments with a mobile phone and online forms and bookings with mobile data. Took a complaint to Comreg to get eir to finally put a fibre in (area was already fibre enabled so that wasn't the delay)

HSE won't take crutches back (we tried) because of liability issues. You can blame the ambulance chasers for that.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

The referendum would cost us very little, sure we just had two which got nowhere... It's not just the preamble though, most people don't seem to know these bits:

ARTICLE 6

1 All powers of government, legislative, executive and judicial, derive, under God, from the people

so we are not a sovereign people, "god" is sovereign.

ARTICLE 44

1 The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to Almighty God. It shall hold His Name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion.

so as an atheist I am not an equal citizen. I also can't become a judge, President, or member of the Council of State without taking the religious oath specified in the Constitution.

Removing the RCC from any relationships with schools or universities would actually save us money. They pay nothing towards the schools, and currently the taxpayer pays the salaries of chaplain posts in universities, these public jobs are only open to clergy…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Funding is not really the area where fault lies in our healthcare system. It's the quagmire of an overstuffed bureaucracy and the general managerial mess that is the dysfunctional HSE monster. Something that's been an ongoing issue since its inception.

Throwing more billions at that won't make a blind bit of difference.

The entire thing needs to be gutted and restructured completely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Emergency departments are staffed 24/7. To move to full 24/7 operation (which basically no one does) needs not just 3 times as many doctors, but also radiologists, nurses, physios, lab techs etc etc etc.

The NHS tried reducing administrators and all it resulted in was frontline medical staff spending far more time doing administration.

Definitely not. Enough money is spent on health every year in Ireland. The €13bn would be gone in a heartbeat. Pun intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

I'd be in favour of not just throwing it at the health system, I live in hope we could change the system and cut the fat and have a functioning health care system which would actually benefit from a huge lump loke 13 billion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Pointless 'throwing' money at it. When you have Bernard Durkan last night trying to excuse the failings (shambolic attempt tbh)you can see the government are in denial about what the problems are, and have been for decades.
    Patching things with cash is not going to work and would likely make things worse when that money runs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The first thing I would do is re instate the full refund for those getting cataracts done in Northern Ireland . I know how absolutely vital this surgery is for people

Then pay surgeons to come in and pay private hospitals to rent their rooms to do surgery on children with scoliosis . I would pay a business man to organise and not some pen pushing clueless HSE employee

I would pay a competent and experienced business man to go in and organise the HSE and get rid of the useless and pointless middle layer .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is no need to use the €14 billion to do this. It just requires political will.

The HSE has just a rotten management structure that needs a complete reset. However, that is next to impossible to achieve.

Such an individual would have to be imported from outside Ireland and given huge authority. Never going to happen imo, especially given the pernicious influence of the RCC in so many hospitals - guarantee of less competent services.

I often wonder are the Cork opthamologists not embarrassed that their patients must go to NI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This might be a very unpopular opinion. I would put the money away into an escrow account. There's a recession coming, I don't know when it's coming but it's definitely coming.

Put the €13bn away until then such that a government of the day won't need to impose austerity on their people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Thanks Paschal, but you've said the same thing for the last 14 budgets

We haven't had a €13bn windfall in any of the last 13 budgets. Also do you really think FFG are looking to do anything other than buy votes from their banker and landlord buddies with the money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The crutches thing is even worse than that, we had a set at home from the last broken ankle and told them to keep the new ones, but they insisted we take them, again for insurance purposes.

The ambulance chasers are a huge problem.

I don't think 14bn is needed to fix our health provision. A little bit of political will and we might actually see better outcomes on the back of the health budget reducing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

€13bn is about 6 months of the social welfare bill alone. It would be gone in a heartbeat in any downturn. Won't save anyone from austerity.

Better to spend it on the debt to the IMF, etc. 44bn and counting, and debt servicing is expensive. Precedent in 2017. Pay down by 4bn, easily knock off 10% of the remaining debt, lowering the debt servicing for the remaining 34bn and leave around 9bn for vote buying. Setting up 'funds' to be raided in the future is mad, lowering the debt improves credit rating, too (yeah, I know, more debt is the effect of that, but Ireland would control how that debt gets repaid rather than an external body.)

In fairness I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion

We were able to refinance most of our debt at near zero rates a few years back, so paying it off would be a waste of money.

• Advertisement

A large portion of the debt is not maturing until the 2040s and it's on very low rates. Literal waste of money paying that off. Nothing to be gained. The other stuff maturing in the next decade is on relatively tiny rates too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭fliball123

No what will be a waste of money is allowing the current set of chancers we call our politicians pish it away on security huts and bike sheds. We should put it off our debt and when we have people in power who are truly and fully transparent about how our tax take is spent then they can spend the next windfall we get.

Nah. €13bn against the debt of c.€220bn is a drop in the ocean. Waste of a windfall. You'd save maybe a couple hundred million in interest per annum. The €13bn could generate much more in terms of economic benefits on an enduring basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭fliball123

Its still a drop 13billion in the current gang of shysters pockest is likely to cost us more than the 13 billion there. They will end up giving it to friends and relatives via the OPW for projects that are not under any kind of realistic scrutiny. I have no bother with this money being spent but not with the current shower maybe slap it all in the rainy day fund that is getting interest and wait till we have a system that is truely transparent and where there is full accountability for waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I would give it all away to the street cats of Istanbul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I know someone who has a few apartments who was getting €8,000 a year a few years ago for each apartment. The apartments are rented to now to refugees and the government is paying €15,000 a year. This is "down the country".

No wonder the country is F*****. The politicians (of any party) do not care, they are just in it for their own pay, perks and pensions.

Our national debt is still one of the highest in the world per capita. It appears we are not capable of behaving responsibly, and squander the ill-gotten gains we make by being a major world tax haven for multinationals.

Advertisement