Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Nothing wrong with them type of cattle at that money. It's often easier to get a 4-600 euro bullock into 1250 to 1600 euro than a 1k bullock into 2k.

You have less money tied up in stock, admittedlythey will be with you for 10-14 months

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

THey opened the bidding at 5k and only 3 bidders. How could you make money buying at that money?

Post edited by whelan2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭green daries

What's dirt cattle.... poorly bred or Under fed or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes I thought the prices were back on other years when you look at what beef cattle are making. But there were nice good quality beef heifers but they might not wonderful for breeding.. BB aren't exactly the preferred suckler cow.

Under feed "badly done" cattle are a great buy if you can get them. Poorly bred cattle (as in jex breeding) are not good for much good, to narrow, small frame and wouldn't carry weight.

Thats the mistake many make Anto. You will.often buy those JEX 350-370 kgs for 500-550 euro.

Too many carry them too long. Get them to 570 kgs they will hang approx 270kgs@4.8/kg they will make 1300 euro. Admittedly they will need ration for 10 weeks and that is the mistake lads make feed them for 8-10 weeks it's costs about 50-60 euro.

I have killed a good few FRX over the years @ 300kgs ish DW you will often buy that type of bullock for sub or about 600 euro. At 300 kgs under 30 months they can hit 1500 euro if you can get the FS on them sub 30 months.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭leoch

Wat and how much do u feed them in the 10 weeks bass

Maize/barley/hulls with mins&vit's added 3kgs/head about 200kgs in 10 weeks

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

what are 18month Friesans going per kg, roughly 475kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I sold a bunch of them two weeks ago, roughly same weight, and got €2.1/kg which I thought was fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

thank you. Elderly neighbour has a few for selling and was asking me what they’d be worth.
    the likes of them are probably not the worst buy

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nearlybreak

if they are good straight ones 2.25 a kg even a bit more trade has really lifted for them the shippers are buying them now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭limo_100

What kind of money are angus and Hereford weanlings making a kg bulls and heifers? 250-320kg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

From what I've seen, anything from 2.5/kg to 3/kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s amazing how some lads don’t know how to use a calculator, giving heifers away to a factory at 4.05 base when everyone else was getting at least 5.05. They would have made a lot more in the mart, some lads are clueless when it comes to selling cattle. I cannot understand the fascination some lads have with giving cattle away to factories. The factories are making serious bob out of some lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

they thing they’re going to be codded in the mart and everyone will see.
    I’ve told lads I draw for, you can bring them home from the mart and go to the factory. You can’t the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭leoch

I think u have to keep them so many days if u take them home from mart and go to factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭limo_100

That's what I was seeing as well hard to justify paying that for them tbh when plainer type ch and lim heifers can be picked up for 3-3.20 a kg from what I have seen

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭grass10

No requirement to keep them for a number of days before going to the factory

• Advertisement

heavy bullocks making good money in ballinakill today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Have a heifer that is just under 30months and weighs 500kg. What is the best exit path for her? Do I get her to mart ASAP or should I push her on another bit before selling as she has now hit the 30 month mark? She is in good condition and has a nice bit of fat cover albeit she would be a bit small and dumpy. Housed recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

can’t do a link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Depending on the factory, you do for quality assurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 rojas68

I was talking to a few lads recently at the mart, one of them has a neighbour bringing cattle to the factory and getting completely shafted. He was asked why didn't he bring them to the mart or try somewhere else. His response was "Daddy always sold his cattle to Goodman". Getting screwed over one generation after another, I just don't understand it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

In what way was he “getting completely shafted “ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d like to know that too.

The only way lads get shafted in a factory is when they don’t understand how to calculate their killout percentages, but these same lads will still get shafted in the mart as they still have the same lack of knowledge.

I kill in a couple of different factories and I know to within €10-€15 a head what a load of cattle will average out at when they’re leaving here for the factory because I’ll have them weighed before they leave and I’ll know by looking at them what they’ll grade. You haven’t a clue what they’ll get in the mart until they come into the ring and 95% of the time it’s less than you’ll get in the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 WoozieWu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Good Continental cattle are probably making € 50 - 100 per head more in the marts at present if working off a base of € 5.00 / €5.05 blk/h. Base in factory would want to be at least € 5.15 / € 5.20 after allowing for additional stoppages in mart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭50HX

There will be blips where mart price makes more than factory but over the course of a year it will be in the minority.

If you know nothing about cattle just ask yourself how do the lads in the marts make money if paying more for factory fit cattle than a factory price ( outside of agents when supplies are tight)

Can you show me a few examples of mart weights and sale prices that show this? Or do you mind me asking what way your calculating the killout weight based on mart weight?

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but it’s very rare for it to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

I know, it’s hard to understand what some lads do be thinking.

As i always say, a farmers only friend is his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭farisfat

What are jersey x cows making out of the parlour at the moment.Ones with condition

The lads around the ring aren't buying factory fit cattle for themselves… they are buying for the factories direct. Far easier for the factories to overpay for cattle as they nned them in the mart rather than raise the base price. Most of them lads around the ring are only collecting their tenner a head for buying

Take a look in the lairages in the factory…. cattle being brought in by farmers for killing that are nothing better than ave stores …far better going to the mart with them

Contenintal blk U- say 700kgs mart weight making approx € 3.10 / kg comes in at € 2,170

In factory kill out say 56% say 390kgs… base € 5.05 + QA will come in at € 2,095

Fully agree about bringing unfit cattle to the factory but the lads that do that are the lads that don’t have either the knowledge or the experience to know by looking at their stock that they’re fit to kill. These are the same lads then that’ll tell you the factories are screwing them when really it’s their own inexperience that’s screwing them.

I know plenty of the lads that are buying around the ring in the local marts here and bar the 1 or 2 known factory men they’re all buying for themselves and turning a tidy few pound on plenty of what they buy due to the lads that don’t understand the value of their cattle. And to top it all off they’re not even using their own money. A lot of them lads have a months credit in the marts and they’re buying stock, killing them, making money on them and cashing the factory cheque long before they ever even pay the mart for the animal. So they’re making money off the marts credit, not from their own investment.

Someone put up a screenshot of Ballinakill mart a few posts back. I know nothing about Ballinakill mart so I don’t know how to calculate killouts for that mart but I can tell you if them prices were paid in Birr mart for them weights of bullocks and assuming they were factory fit and you average them as R+ grades, which should be safe assumptions given their weights, then they made anything from €50-€190 less than their factory value.

Now you’re showing your inexperience. A continental U grade will kill minimum 58% of his yard weight And I’ve often had them kill 60%. Depending on the mart his mart weight will be 4-8% less than his yard weight but he’ll still have the same amount of meat on him.

We’ll go with your figure of 56% if you like.

If he’s 700kg mart weight, work back your 4% weight loss so 700/0.96 = 729kgs yard weight. Kill him at 56% and that’s 408kgs.

€5.05 base plus 0.20 QA plus 0.12 grade bonus is €5.37.

€5.37 x 408kgs = €2,190 or €20 more than your mart price.

Work it out at the proper figure of 58% and he was €2,270, exactly €100 more than his mart price. Allow for mart fees and transport and the man that bought him at the ring has him killed the next morning and made €75 off you, if he had 20 of them in the lorry that day didn’t he make a good days wages and he didn’t even pay the mart for them yet.

I'm 20 years killing cattle and have a fair idea on kill out %s…and certainly have never been called inexperienced at it

• Advertisement

Fair enough but if you’re not inexperienced and you’re only getting 56% killouts based on mart weights for U grade animals then your factory is definitely shafting you and you need to change factories fast.

Do you weigh your stock in your own yard before killing them?

Do you weigh them in your own yard before going to the mart with them?

If you start doing them 2 things it opens your eyes very fast and it’s very easy to know when you’re being shafted then. There’s a private abbatoir near here where I killed cattle a few times many years ago. They’re always able to give 5-10 cent more than the main factories. It’s the dearest 5 cent you’ll ever get because the killouts are shocking in it, the type of killouts you’re mentioning in your example. While I got screwed there a few times it was the best thing that ever happened because I couldn’t understand the poor weights and it’s the reason I started weighing cattle in my own yard and that’s what gives you an education then.

You guys are working on a U grade animal, what I find is the good R or U grade animal will make close enough to their factory price in the mart. A few will make maybe €50 more in the mart plus commissionin the Mart is over €30 to the seller, that takes a chunk of the €50.. But it's the O grade animal where the real difference is.. very easily an O grade animal will leave you €200 more in the factory over the mart..

There is a difference in Kill out % of a U+ compared to a U-… work off .. say 58% for a U+… animal is making up to € 3.30 in the mart

I kill more O’s than I do U’s and i agree fully with you. Especially at times when there are flat prices available, it’s lunacy what lads sell factory fit hex or aax for in the mart and go home thinking they got on great and the next man making €100-€200 a head on them overnight.

I’m no expert and I’ll never claim to be one but all I’m going on is what’s in black and white in front of me and that’s the information the weighing scales gives me. And the only reason I have that information is because I made all the mistakes before where I didn’t know the exact weights or killout percentages from different factories and I got screwed in both marts and factories, I learned by making the mistakes.

Nobody here has to take my word for anything I’m saying but it’s very easy to verify what I’m saying for anyone on their own farms. Either buy or hire a scales and weigh your stock the day before they leave the farm, no matter whether it’s the mart or the factory they’re going to, and you’ll get your own info and figures to work with then.

Every mart is slightly different depending on loading to selling times etc. and every factory is slightly different too. You could sell heifers in Birr mart with only a 2 or 3% weight loss and heavy bullocks at this time of year can be up to 8% losses. That’s because you can drop in a heifer at 12 and she’ll be sold by 1 but there’s bullocks there at 8 in the morning that won’t be sold until 4 or 5 in the evening when the sales are big.

Always weigh cattle here … as I said there is a difference between a U+ and a U-.. bellish animal etc etc.. In times of need the factories will always give more in the mart than increase the base price… and they have been doing this the past 2 monts

Unfortunately it’s the complete opposite scenario that’s happening. They don’t increase the base price because they don’t have to when they can buy them at €100 a head less in the marts. Keep the factory fit cattle at home and then the prices will rise to entice them out, sell them cheap in the marts and we all lose out.

Do you mind me asking what mart do you go to and if you’re weighing cattle what weight losses do you see from yard to mart?

Rarely go to Marts but you would generally allow 3 or 4%…. they will loose that as well by going to the factory…. I've yet to see a clean trailer after them

What Base are you getting at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭grass10

I occasionally show forward/ fat animals live only when factories are paying above factory gate price most of my animals go directly to factories and my animals are weighted constantly at home and if you think that their are all these private lads at marts buying and making a fortune by killing the next day you should do it and see how you'd get on first of all your factoring in 25 euro expense per animal mart fee is 10, factory fee 10, and run a lorry for a fiver a head you won't last in business very long plenty lads tried that before it’s factories that are buying most mart cattle

your & loss I would not agree with as an 800kg animal can never lose 64 kg animals going to a local mart will lose approx 10 to 15 kg and I've put animals into large marts for 10 hours they could drop 25 kg from home weight

Why aren’t you calculating in that 3-4% when working out your mart figures so? Them losses come from what’s leaving them in urine and dung as well as a certain amount of dehydration depending on the time in the mart. Losing it on the way to the factory is irrelevant because you’re paid for the meat only in the factory and what’s on the floor of the trailer when you get to the factory isn’t meat. That’s the reason you have to understand how to calculate the killouts to fully understand the factory value of your animal.

I was talking to an agent last night, I’ve only half a load of continentals to go and they’re not over fat yet, they’d be only just touching 3’s on fat. He says they’re €5.05 and €5.10 at the moment but he thinks it’ll rise a bit next week so I’ll hold off and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

What would dairy x Angus heifers that weighed 600kg in mart make in the factory at a base price of 5 for heifers. Goodish types of cattle.

Advertisement