Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭advisemerite

Trump is leading in all betting markets. He is leading in Pennsylvania. Harris is goosed and support is declining by the Day for her. The honeymoon is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The bets can be influenced by big money bets from abroad, they have become disconnected from the voting.

538 have Harris ahead in Pennsylvania but the gaps are margin of error territory.

Harris is picking up more undecided voters in the last week than Trump, as cited above on thread, at a rate of nearly 2:1.

Trump is cancelling events and trying to rally empty venues when he does appear. He looks goosed physically thats for sure. I would put more weight in empty rallies than betting markets myself.

My instinct is that Harris is the one out there trying to win over new voters, the surge in voter registrations, huge early voting numbers ... that should favour Democrats and see Harris over the line.

But its all to play for.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/pennsylvania/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't know who Mark Cuban is but he's talking sense.

The idea that a country like the United States will thrive using 2,000% tariffs is patently absurd. Trump clearly hasn't a clue how trade works. Or business for that matter.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Cuban's a wealthy tech startup investor who famously sold Broadcast.com to Yahoo back in the crazy days of acquisitions for huge money, and has lived off it since. He is a public figure in that he's a minority owner of a US NBA basketball team the Dallas Mavericks. He loathes Convicted Felon Trump, used to sit courtside at basketball games wearing a "Cuban 46" jersey, a not-so-subtle needling of Trump's ambition to be reelected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks. I know he's famous but wouldn't have guessed that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭CliffHangeroner

Trump showing incredible stamina unfortunately doesn't look to be letting up.

Fox & Friends at 8am
    Doing the @dbongino’s show, flying to Michigan, meetings with multiple local groups, visiting Trump Force 47 HQ, holding a full rally in Detroit, flying back to New York.

All of this after a very late night following his speech at the Al Smith dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

he bailed on that show early, and staggered around the stage again this time for 18 minutes in MI.

Stamina?

I would have thought that goosing the polls by flooding the polling with dubious polls would end up been counterproductive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

How would you go from "We have enough votes. We don't need your votes" to "Aaargh, we're on 40% in the polls!"

I think Trumps team are betting on:

His supporters turning up to vote if they think the race is tight.

Keeping the fear turned up to 11 so his supporters turn up, armed at electoral booths "to protect the vote", while not looking oking completely intimidating to normal people.

I think it works for both camps.

If Harris was polling at 58/42, her supporters might not turn up as it's, "in the bag". Trumps supporters might not turn up as, "it's only going to be robbed anyway".

Best for both parties to be polling close, even if they're completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Dingaan

I wouldn't put much weight in betting markets. That said, polling suggests that Trump has broadened his coalition since 2020. More Latino and Black voters, specifically men, are likely to vote for Trump compared to the previous election cycle. If this holds true, ceteris paribus, then he will most likely win the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Just as a general rule of thumb: higher turnout is good for Democrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I propose we sticky the welfare check hotline number on here for when Donald Trump once again becomes president of the United States of America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,180 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

With the way speeches and appearances have been edited or cropped to fit the media shows time slots and the way video excerpts have been spliced together to suit appearances, it's hard to know what is true and what is false now when you look at the TV screen. There was a short clip about Trump on RTE radio earlier where the claim was made, allegedly by him, that he had been awake for the past forty eight [48] days. 48 hours I could see and understand but 48 days….. That being said, as it was just those words, I may have mistaken DAY for HOURS.

• Advertisement

Wtf is a "welfare check hotline"?

Feeling ok? Is Trumps senility contagious?

OK, apart from 2016, tell me when trump, as leader of the Republican party, has won an election. There's been quite a few since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

This is funny, Biden couldn’t stand in front of a teleprompter and comprehend what was going on around him and yet was defended by people with a straight face, now Trump is working 18 hours day and starting to suffer from exhaustion and he’s too old.

From a psychological perspective there’s something really fascinating that happens to regular sane people when it comes to politics , it’s like permission to become deluded has been temporarily granted, or at least we hope it’s temporary.

Trumps endorsement is a kiss of death to a candidate.

I mean, I'll give you one thing. You definitely won't see Biden dancing on stage for 39 minutes during a town hall.

I'll give you another, Biden had the good sense to stand down.

• Advertisement

How do you account for Trump regularly sh*tting himself on the campaign trail. Just normal for an old guy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Dingaan

So what you're saying is there's no such thing as a "welfare check hotline".

Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

From a psychological perspective there’s something really fascinating that happens to regular sane people when it comes to politics , it’s like permission to become deluded has been temporarily granted, or at least we hope it’s temporary.

Ain't that the truth.

Indeed, Biden isn't running for office. So when you say Biden wasn't fit for office, do you turn that same critique to Trump, or are you being a hypocrite?

So as seen here, Trump wanted to pit black contestants against white ones. But Trump isn't a racist right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

All trump seems to have to go on and has been babbling it on for years is "Make America Great Again"

He doesn't even know what that means.

Interesting analysis by a Republican why Trump has already lost the election. Basically if Texas is in play then Pennsylvania is already in the bag for the democrats. As she says he has pissed off to many women to win, a demographic which pollsters always underestimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Remember Comical Ali.

I thought of him as I read your post.

Any idea why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Hoop66

My thinking on this is that it's done deliberately to make it look like Trump has more support than he does. Then, when he loses the election he can start whining about "but the polls…". Not very sophisticated, but what were you expecting from Mr Gold Toilet?

• Advertisement

People have been downplaying Bidens ability for literal years now.

But here's the thing, there hasn't been a single incident in Bidens term where his ability has been seriously questioned.

In terms of his role, there's always going to be vacuous comments saying 'he should do this', 'he should do that' etc, but there has been no story, not one, where the likes of Fox have been able to even hint at a story of 'this happened because he failed to act because of his inability'

And he's had Covid recovery, inflation, Ukraine, Gaza and climate events during his term where he needed to be on his game in the direction he gave. I will forever denounce him for his role in the butchering of Gazans but that's an issue I have with his policy, not his ability. His opponents say he should support Israel more so they can't say how he has acted has been a failure of his ability.

Compare that with Trump during his term. The inability to have a stable administration, the inability to have collaborative relationships with staunch allies of the US, the inflaming of tensions regarding BLM, the abysmal handling of Covid. All failures because of his ability, not inspite of them. Not to mention failure to build a Mexico funded wall or deliver an alternative to Obamacare.

Biden today has more ability than Trump had on his best day. And those best days, are lonnggg in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Maxface

Betting markets can be easily moved. I wouldn't be placing any value on them. The fact it keeps getting mentioned on here as a definitive indicator is ridiculous. Believe me, I'll place a few bets on the football today and betting favourites means nothing, unfortunately.

https://www.wsj.com/finance/betting-election-pro-trump-ad74aa71

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm not sure if Trump is a racist in the commonly-understood sense of the word. Donald Trump would hate poor black people, certainly, but more 'cause they're poor, and therefore losers in his eyes, rather than because they're black. He would hate the poor ones of every other ethnicity, also. However, if they are black and have a considerable amount of fame/money as well as complimentary things to say about the former president, Trump will take most kindly to them.

I can imagine Trump looking at the idea of a white v black season of The Apprentice and just being so mesmerised by the potential ratings that the insensitivity of it was essentially an afterthought in his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭CliffHangeroner

People see what they want. Trump is a shocking candidate everyone agrees on that but the fact supposed intelligent folk can't admit it's a poor reflection on Harris to be neck and neck with an absolute clown like him is hilarious 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

didn’t he fall asleep yesterday mid event ? And was rambling about Weinstein getting “schlonged“….. I wouldn’t call that stamina… maybe deterioration ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,793 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

100%. Trump and his supporters were screaming for Biden to step down yet when Trump is showing similar signs it's tumbleweed or excuses.

Trump is clearly too old. Has clearly lost a significant amount of energy and vigor since 2015 and there are very serious concerns about his ability cope with the demands of the job and whether he can last the full term.

Dems and Biden, belatedly but did eventually, come to the realisation that Biden could not continue . Nobody expects anything like the same inward review or external care for the country, or party, from Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Intelligent folk probably understand that's it a reflection of the dumbness of the Trump supporters rather than being Harris fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭weisses

Care to provide a link he is getting more votes because of this ? Because you know as well he's losing in other demographics, so ceteris paribus doesn't hold here

I can fully believe that Trump himself would defend someone like Harvey Weinstein, although the fact that he's doing it as Republican presidential nominee is emblematic of what a f-d up place American politics is in right now.

Not to forget that Trump, as sitting president, extended his well wishes to Ghislaine Maxwell - the then-charged, now-convicted ex-wife of notorious paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

Of all the people to defend or speak warmly of, these two are outrageously suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭weisses

In fairness to any politician, specially in the states I would be absolutely exhausted during a campaign. Now add Trump's physical health and age I'm not at all surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,793 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The polls and betting markets look very suspicious. There are so many pointers that suggest that the numbers are scewed.

All elections, including 2016, suggest that dems are more popular with voters.

Harris is massively out performing Trump in terms of donations

Her rallies are bigger and Trumps are noticeable smaller than 2016.

Harris got 7.1m audience for her recent Fox Interview. Trump got 3m.

Abortion is consistently a big factor for voters yet apparently it will have no impact on voting. This is proved by the fact Trump has stopped talking constantly about Roe v Wade and has pivoted to IVF.

Everything points against Trump yet the polls suggest that none of the above has had any impact.

The last 2 Presidential election campaigns have shown us how far removed objectivity is from the minds of many people within the Electorate in the US. Particularly (I would say) in the minds of Republicans and specifically in the minds of MAGA Republicans.

This has nothing to do with any reflection on Harris, these people have been groomed for 8 years by Trump and they are not for turning.

Objectively, there is no comparison in the candidates qualifications or experience, zero, none. Trump has had a term, we've seen what he is capable and incapable of but you've too many people who act like 2016-2020 didn't happen or that he didn't try so hard for everyone to hear and see things from him directly. He cannot blame the media for the content that was put out there by which to judge him because he pushed so hard to be the creator and publisher of that content.

I'm not suggesting Harris is the pre-eminent politician of our time, she's far from that, but we've seen no shortage of candidates who are similar in that respect. And not just in the US.

Jesus himself could come down and run against Trump and the MAGA faithful would denounce him for supporting immigrants and the poor and being hard on corporations etc.

America needs to have a self-reflection how it has gotten to a place where so many people are unwilling/incapable of assessing their candidate objectively, but the fact that this reality exists has nothing to do with Harris, or those who advocate for her. Why should they carry the blame for those who refuse to be objective?

Trump may win because to the extent that this mindset exists, but if he does, Harris won't have to spend a second asking herself what she did wrong, she has done extremely well since taking the baton, that's just an objective reality and I can say that without claiming she is the best ever, but if people look at her and Trump and for a second assess their actual track records and current appearance and ability and choose Trump, then that is on them.

We won't just find out where Trump and Harris stand on November 5th, we'll find out where the American electorate stands with respect to its willingness to be truthful in its assessments of what it wants and needs.

This is something that can only be truly assessed after the election because it's only then will we know if the polls were genuinely indicative of the state of the race.

America needs to have a self-reflection how it has gotten to a place where so many people are unwilling/incapable of assessing their candidate objectively, but the fact that this reality exists has nothing to do with Harris, or those who advocate for her. Why should they carry the blame for those who refuse to be objective?

Because their education system is pretty abysmal and they treat teachers like sh*te. Nothing will change until that's fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

A combination of the reality series The Apprentice and four decades of Vince McMahon’s WWE groomed half of America to fall in love with Donald Trump. It appears that he can do and say anything and his base with stick with him .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Yes, he is aging like a carton of milk left in the car on a hot summers day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Biden's biggest slip up was the debate and at that point, pretty much everyone flipped on him including on here. I don't think any of his slip ups are on the scale of Trump in the last week or so. If Biden spent 40 minutes swaying on stage at a town hall, posters such as yourself would be calling for his impeachment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Polls are notorious in the US, especially when you see who runs the polling companies! Manga types also love betting and would bet on anything given a chance. The Democrats are a bit too busy paying rent to bother with bets. I have plenty of cousins in Rochester who can talk all day about politics.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Could not continue, or could not win? Cos the motivation behind both is vastly different

Education could help, but it's a societal thing rather than that specifically.

American society and culture is conditioned to think 1 individual can literally make everything perfect rather than them being the lynch pin in what is a strong chain in its own right.

Maybe it's the quarterback phenomenon where all success of a team is put on their shoulders without due recognition of the infrastructure and supporting cast around them.

Or how they qualify a movies quality based on the performance and part of a single leading character.

Or maybe it's the image thing where if you appear string or capable, it doesn't matter if you are or not. An acceptance of the fake it until you make it mindset, possibly.

I do find it very interesting. The Simpsons basically covered it perfectly with the Sanitation Commissoner episode.

• Advertisement
Advertisement