Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

My biggest concern of Harris from the outset, was how she’d come across to the voters. People here have been way to reliant on “but Trump is bad evil blah blah blah” - to the degree of inducing nausea at this point .

Harris has done a hell of a lot better than I would have given her credit for- but obviously, what we’ve learned, is that even up against a person like Trump with all of his “baggage”, you can’t rely solely on that to reach the Whitehouse- you have to individually earn that right yourself.
    Hillary made that mistake in 2016- yes the FBI investigation didn’t help her- but she’s admitted since that she didn’t understand what the electorate wanted in 2016 - and potentially she was the wrong kind of candidate for that period. (See quote below)

She says she ran a “traditional campaign of well thought out policies” whilst Trump was stoking anger- were essentially back in 2016 again- but arguably America is an even angrier place than it was 8 years ago.

Given the race is so close, unfortunately the deciding voters are probably asking the question “Do I like Harris?” - and many are possibly saying “no I don’t”. This race is so close that it doesn’t matter if you’ve ticked all the boxes on policy, winning debates, going to Fox News for an interview, visited swing states often - it’s so bloody close, that it could be down to likability at this stage - very hard for Harris to influence that in such a short space of time

“Clinton has repeatedly said she didn't think she would lose when she settled into her hotel suite on Election Night. But after extensive reflection -- which she called "excruciating" -- she realized that she may have been the wrong kind of candidate for an electorate that wanted anger and outrage.

"Still, in terms of fighting the previous war, I think it's fair to say that I didn't realize how quickly the ground was shifting under all our feet," Clinton writes. "I was running a traditional presidential campaign with carefully thought-out policies and painstakingly built coalitions, while Trump was running a reality TV show that expertly and relentlessly stoked Americans' anger and resentment."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/12/politics/hillary-clinton-what-happened-mistakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

Theres a fine line between pumping your guy up with stimulants and this eventually inducing phychotic episodes. I think Trump crossed that line a few weeks ago so they pulled back on his meds and now he cannot stay awake for long enough to do anything useful. They probably told him if he kept up the stimulant abuse he wouldn't be alive by the election.

Such are old men, and to resurrect an old phrase from July " there's only one old man in this race now".

I’ll take your word for it that Trump is leading the betting - but I think the Democrats biggest fear was that voters would become complacent if they thought Harris was a shoe-in and would just stay away from the polling booths on the day- the closer this election is, the better it is for the Democrats- they need a sense of urgency to get a traditionally lazy voter ship out to the polls on the day - I’m glad to see Harris has learned the lessons of the 2016 election - I don’t believe she could have done any more as a candidate - but as a person, likability was always going to be her weakest point - I can see why some voters just don’t “like” her - I’ve grown to respect her- I’m not sure I “like” her though - potentially many key voters are of similar mind.

Totally-,but as we know in this election, that doesn’t matter - we know this is the playing field that has to be played on - so no point in complaining about the conditions, you just have to get on with it -as an analogy, take the football match in the film Escape to Victory”- that’s the sort of game that’s been played here😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

As I said a few weeks back, Harris just has to make it all about Trump and play dirty as possible. I got banned from the thread for a day for noting a legally-proven fact about Trump - Team Harris has to reminding the USA of that fact (and everything else negative).

There's plenty of mud to be flung. Go out there and call him senile. Call him cognitively impaired. Do what you have to do. Reach the women of Anerica above all and hammer them over the head with the moral character of Donald J Trump.

No point sitting there the day after wondering 'what if?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭Rawr

For arguments sake, let’s say this is the case that stimulants have/are being used to keep Donnie ticking. I can totally imagine him ignoring medical advice to knock it off incase he didn’t survive the race. It’s very much «POTUS or Bust» for him, and he’s in a hell of his own making. A hell where he doesn’t appear to have the drive to actually be President, but has put himself in a position where he has no other choice than to seek that office to save himself from the consquences that likely would have hit him long ago if he hadn’t been the GOP nominee.

It could be his team would lower the dosage to keep him alive in this situation, but apart from that I can’t imagine him listening to a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭amandstu

Was my thinking too. It has worked for him so far.(I prefer Mr Golden Stools ,though -or Mr Golden Shower, Sir as he may have been addressed in Moscow )

But it could just be psychological warfare(if this is true).If KH is giving interviews and is at all nervous then this kind of stuff could accentuate that (She might not have called out Bret Baier so confidently ,or at all)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,793 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes of course but Biden, as he had the delegates and could have just stubbornly continued, ultimately put the country first.

Now. Compare that to the GOP which at every turn has given in to Trump because not doing so would cost them votes.

As usual it's projection onto the Dems based on nothing more that what drives Trump and the GOP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

AFAIK weinstein cases are all at state level or civil cases, the president can only pardon federal criminal convictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Fundraising doesn't always lead to success, if it did HRC would have won.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-clinton-campaign-fundraising-totals-232400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It doesn't but I'd say engagement the election is on par with 2020, 2016 was entirely different and Clinton was a hugely disliked candidate. Trump also didn't have the amount of baggage that he's gained at this stage either.

Also worth remembering that you've frequently cited betting markets for Trump winning. In 2016, Clinton had early payouts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Trump has opted out of yet another interview - his team has said he is 'exhausted' (first couple of minutes of the video). How long before he recovers enough to take up the campaign again? Of course he is exhausted, he is 78 and unfit. I am the same age and can sympathise, but not that much, I am not campaigning to be president, not even of the local ICA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wouldn't call him unfit for 78, he's constantly on the go. I'd be pretty happy to have his energy at that age. Even going to work in Mc Donalds next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So if he is not unfit and is constantly on the go, how come he is exhausted and has cancelled half a dozen events in the past few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

The bar is president not an average 78 year old. He is exhausted and cancelling everything because he is simply not fit to run a full campaign which is not half the energy he would need as president. I guess he can spend the entire time golfing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I guess he said for 78. Which infers he believes he's actually too old to be president.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Dingaan

Exactly, it's a desperate attempt for something to stick on Trump.

Trump is doing it all himself, we are just spectators to his collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Trump is cancelling events because he can't handle the campaigning… but we're expected to believe he's fit to be President from next year for four years and be able to whatever crises pop up? It sure doesn't seem that way.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

What's your take on him cancelling events?

Why's he doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭weisses

Maybe focus on your "desperate" attempt to avoid a discussion

The optics of refusing to release his medical records is just the icing on the cake. 100% confirmation that he has a serious problem.

This is guaranteed to be the primary point of discussion for the last two weeks.

Applying Joe Biden logic then he's definitely too old for the role. I'm not seeing Harris suffering from exhaustion and she's campaigning and interviewing far than him.

He's 78, probably has some health conditions, nothing life threatening or serious enough for him to not be president. He's looking a lot healthier than Bill Clinton and they're the same age.

I very much doubt it's going to be the primary point of discussion for the last 2 weeks. Dems in full panic mode if that's the game plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Dr Robert

He may look better than Clinton but his mental capacity is seriously in trouble.

Himself and Biden should never have been in this race to start with. Two men with potential brain damage, ridiculous.

It already is the main talking point and it won't go away till he releases his medical records. Since he won't it will continue to look centre stage.

As they say, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about from releasing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why wont he release his medical records? Are you also afraid of what might be in them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

that polling in Pa is grim though. Trump is an objectively terrible candidate and this is how close it is.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

it’s genuinely upsetting how bad this is. The trend has been for Trump for weeks and now it’s almost flipped in his favour.

The path to a Harris victory has narrowed, lose Pa and it’s closed. She’s ahead by 0.1% in Pa with Trump on the up. Be prepared for another Trump term lads.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2024-election-forecast/

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

But why are you and other Trump supporters not concerned that his mental faculties are declining?

We saw you guys jumping on every little misspeak by Biden of proof positive that he had Alzheimer's or at least was unfit.

But now, when Trump is canceling appearances and displaying very bizarre behavour, you say nothing and bend over backwards to not address this obvious stuff.

Why?

To most it looks like simple hypocrisy on your part. Is this the case?

It's coming from Kamala and will go away it's only seen in certain echo chambers which will have little effect on the outcome at this stage, why doesn't she show us her McDonalds payslips.

The reek of desperation off her now is terrible optics and complete hypocrisy seen as she's denied Bidens mental health woes for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would argue that is just make up making him look better. Plus Clinton is not running for president. If he isn't healthy enough to run a full campaign how is he healthy enough to be president?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Did she? Wow didn't realise that. I agree HRC was a terrible candidate and that KH is also a much more likeable person. On the flip side she is far weaker than HRC in interviews etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Harris will be favoured again at some point - don't sweat it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He isn't. Clinton's still able to construct a sentence and doesn't have to spend whole rallies doing some sort of weird dance.

They've spent a decade at this now. They can't just stop. Anyone who was defending Trump after he boasted about sexual assault to Billy Bush, mocking Serge Kovaleski for his disability and ridiculing soldiers who were captured and killed in action is in it for the long haul.

One thing I find hopeful is that Trump was never normalised. We never got used to his regular displays of his low character or his hatred of pretty much everyone. I just don't see how he wins in November given how disastrous his last presidency was.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Sounds like desperation if you're asking for Harris's McDonald's payslips tbh. It's also not coming from her, plenty of different people were asking questions after Trump's 40 minutes of swaying. His own staff behind him looked confused... They're the ones who are referring to him being exhausted.

Not sure she is weaker tbh. Harris and Walz both come across far better in interviews than Cain and Clinton did. If anything, Clinton was prone to pissing off the working class. High engagement is what Harris needs and it appears to be what she's getting.

Every time Trump has a senior moment it right back in the news. He's having them every day. Its got nothing to do with Harris.

Watching CNN now and it's top of the news.

I don't know what all the dems are watching to think his age is now going to be a deciding factor, that piece with the hitman in Detroit earlier probably got Trump a lot of votes.

• Advertisement

So the Dems engaging in weather control is plausible but you draw the line at questioning Trump's fitness when he sways for 40 minutes to music at a town hall and cancels loads of events in the final weeks of the campaign?

Ok.

But you've been asked to explain the contradiction from Trump supporters where they aren't commenting on Trumps behavior.

I think that when undecided voters see this, and see that you guys aren't able to address the contradiction, and have to resort to essentially sticking your fingers in your ears, it doesn't help convince them to vote for Trump.

And they might feel insulted that you were assuming that they were that easily fooled.

Man sways to music, god ye're getting desperate. What's next old man unable to run the golden mile.

For 30+ minutes. Instead of answering questions at his own rally. And despite his handlers asking him to answer more questions.

Ok. So your contention is that he has not displayed any behavior that makes your question his mental faculties?

None of the ones being pointed out in this thread?

Or are you just pretending not to see them to avoid the question?

Either way, you're not addressing the question, and proving our point.

You've got a problem with him pausing from talking while emergency services helped out some people in the audience, is that correct? If he kept talking you'd be giving out about that as well or would you prefer he kept talking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The only desperation is trying to pretend it is nothing out of the ordinary for a candidate to sway on stage for 30-40 minutes on stage, and not take any more questions, not leave the stage... basically just hanging there totally exposed. He could have stepped aside and gotten someone to lead the crowd in prayers. Something... anything. Instead nothing.

The same candidate wont release his medical records and is cancelling and curtailing events.

There are pieces in major newspapers such as the Bostom Globe openly questioning his fitness to serve.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

None at all, i've no questions about his mentality or his supporters.

• Advertisement

For nearly 40 minutes, he was supposed to be taking questions at the town hall. 😂

Advertisement