Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Bike / Electric Scooter

Options
  • 25-09-2006 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Anyone any experence with either an Electric (&folding) Bike or an Electric Scooter with regard to commuting ?

Taking a new job soon and do not wish to drive into Dublin city centre, was thinking of getting the Train from Kildare town and then using one of the above to get to Baggot street ...........

From what I have read the electric bicycle option would negate the need for Tax/Insurance vrt etc ........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will still need insurance as electrical counts as mechanically propelled. Although I understand the motortax is negligible.

Whats worng with an ordinary bike? Its not like Dublin has many serious hills, save at Christchurch, which can be managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 106GTi

Victor wrote:
    Whats worng with an ordinary bike?

The primary issue with an ordinary bike is that the propulsion system would require that I expend X amount of energy, wheras with an electric bike I would expend considerably less energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Victor wrote:
    You will still need insurance as electrical counts as mechanically propelled. Although I understand the motortax is negligible.
    I dont think so, not for all anyway. I have heard some elect bikes in ireland come with certs saying you pay nothing mentioned before. Some places have defiintions of drive chains or something. AFAIK Electric wheelchair users do not pay any extras. Some elec bikes are illegal, and it is a bit of a grey area as to whether you can cycle on cycle tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

rubadub wrote:
    Some elec bikes are illegal, and it is a bit of a grey area as to whether you can cycle on cycle tracks

It's not a grey area regarding electric bicycles on cycle tracks.
    Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) Regulations, 1998
    (5) (a) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 022 has been provided

Road Traffic Act, 1961
    "mechanically propelled vehicle" means, subject to subsection (2) of this section, a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical means, including—
    ( a ) a bicycle or tricycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used,
    ( b ) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical,
    but not including a tramcar or other vehicle running on permanent rails;

Basically a electric bicycle can only use cycle tracks that cars can drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Victor wrote:
    Whats worng with an ordinary bike? Its not like Dublin has many serious hills, save at Christchurch, which can be managed.

I'm with Victor on this one, I know someone who had an electric scooter thing and came off it badly because some muppet went out in front of them. They are quiet, and with their weight, the stopping power is not equivalent to a bicycle or a motorcycle. You are safer on a pushbike which is slower (arguable), more reliable and more manouvrable.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

robfitz wrote:
    It's not a grey area regarding electric bicycles on cycle tracks.

It may be in law but the whole cycle track thing is a grey area in the minds of bus drivers, gardai, pedestrians etc.
    i.e. I could imagine people being cautioned by the gardai for obeying the law. and risking their life with manic bus drivers who view cyclists in buslanes as targets.

Then there is the whole issue of what a cycle track actually is! I know you are more aware of this than anybody else here.

What I am getting at is that if I had a electric bike I would cycle on cyclelanes and I doubt I would ever be pulled up for it by the gardai, even if I was I would continue to break the law since it is so dangerous to obey it when you have to deal with drivers who are ignorant of the law and have no respect for human life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sorry to revive an old topic - but you don't require tax or insurance if the electric bike has pedals, goes no faster than 15MPH and the engine is no greater than 250W.
    Electrically-assisted cycles are usually classified as either pedelecs or e-bikes. Under European Union regulations adopted in the UK in June 2003, only power-assisted cycles meeting the pedelec classification are considered to be pedal cycles. The maximum power allowed in the European Union for (pedelec) electric bicycles is 250 W, with a maximum assisted speed of 25 km/h.[38]. To meet the pedelec specification the electric motor must be activated by the rider's pedalling effort and the power must cut out completely whenever the rider stops pedalling. Control of the motor by pedalling is often the key difference between a pedelec and e-bike.

Earlier UK regulations required that the motor has an average power output limited to 200 W (250 W for tricycles and tandems) and weight limited to 40 kg (60 kg for tricycles and tandems). These regulations must come in-line with the EU regulations by (find deadline). For models sold before June 2003, e-bikes conforming to the speed, weight and power limits may also be considered pedal cycles. Electric bikes with higher power outputs, or those not meeting the "pedelec" definition are now treated as motorcycles and require a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 olafshiel

With regard to electrical bikes in some cases you don't need tax or insurance or a licence. The bikes that are pedal assisted you dont need any of the above. This does not include electric scooters with pedals. Basically if you have a throttle and can pull away from standing stop without the use of pedals you need all of the above. If you can only move off with the use of pedals it is classed the same as a regular bicycle. Having said that, when usung the electrical bicycle all you need do is rotate the pedals without putting any real effort and you will toodle along nicely at 20-30kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

try one of these yokes instead. mounts on any bike almost and very efficient if you get a 4-stroke honda engine

http://www.bikemotorparts.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm going to close this thread as it's 4 years old and was last posted in 3 years ago. If you wish to further discuss this topic please start a new thread or if you feel you have more to add to this thread, please PM me to re-open it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement