Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The paper gave you the proof had you a calculator . What exactly can you do between Athenry and Ennis for €20m ??, you most certainly cannot do all the required land purchases never mind land purchases and Archeology.

Maybe the NRA are going for the premium land now as it's set to rise in value over the next few years. Remember the way events are unfolding regarding the world's food market. In any case, buying the land now is a good move, even if the scheme's planning permission lapses - in that case, they'll just have to resubmit the scheme and go through another oral hearing, but the cost of land wouldn't be as big a problem then!
    The Department of Finance has killed it off as a project to be completed by 2015 as envisaged . A few dribs and drabs will be done by 2015 such as the Stranorlar bypass and maybe Athenry - Ennis ( toll) but thats it I'd say !!

It was a priority for a few months in 2007 and then the credit crunch struck the wesht , such is life. Dublin Rail projects have priority post 2010.

Roads in general do not.

Well I wouldn't put my bottom Euro on it mate - we were there in 2002 when the N2 (Finglas to Ashbourne), M3 and even the M50 upgrade was uncertain in light of deteriorating public finances. If there is any upturn which is possible when the MIUs open up, the AWC schemes will be back!

We'll just have to wait and see...

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I hope this is fairly true as it should stop a lot of the rumour mill :D

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/GalwayCountyCouncil/N18GorttoCrusheen/SchemeName,15104,en.html

N18 Gort to Crusheen
    Local Authority: Galway County Council
    Start County: Galway
    End County: Clare
    Description: The proposed N18 Gort to Crusheen scheme consists of 22 km of high quality dual carriageway extending from Ballingers Corner, north of Gort, to Craggard, south of Crusheen, where it ties in with the N18 Ennis bypass.
    Mainline Length (km): 22
    Current Project Phase: Tender
    Major Inter-urban Route: No

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/GalwayCountyCouncil/N18GorttoCrusheen/SchemeName,15104,en.html

N18 Gort to Crusheen
    Local Authority: Galway County Council
    Start County: Galway
    End County: Clare
    Description: The proposed N18 Gort to Crusheen scheme consists of 22 km of high quality dual carriageway extending from Ballingers Corner, north of Gort, to Craggard, south of Crusheen, where it ties in with the N18 Ennis bypass.
    Mainline Length (km): 22
    Current Project Phase: Tender
    Major Inter-urban Route: No

That is exactly what I was talking about in my other post Chris! ;)

Regards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

LOL .

Searching around on the Government Tenders site I find

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUN104325

But I also find
    Advanced Search Results

For details of the icons used please see Icons Explained.
    Search category: N18

Sorry, there are no documents matching your search category.

Which means

NO TENDER

But I would be delighted were that to change anytime in the next year !

LOL .

Searching around on the Government Tenders site I find

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUN104325

But I also find

Which means

NO TENDER

But I would be delighted were that to change anytime in the next year !

Yeah, didn't find anything on the N18 ...but...

Title: N11 Rathnew to Arklow Road Improvement Scheme - Design and Build Construction Contract
    Published by: Wicklow County Council
    Publication Date: 06/06/2008
    Application Deadline: 15/07/2008
    Notice Deadline Date: 29/07/2008
    Notice Deadline Time: 16:00
    Notice Type: Tender
    Has Documents: No
    Abstract: The design and construction of approximately 16.5 km of new dual carriageway standard National Primary Road linking the N11 Arklow Bypass dual carriageway (completed in 1999) with the N11 Ashford Rathnew Bypass (completed in 2004). The contract also consists of the provision of two grade separated Interchanges near the Beehive Junction and the Jack White’s Junction of the existing N11, the realignment and construction of new sections of the existing N11 to form an all purpose single carriageway road parallel to the dual carriageway and the construction of three overbridges, four underbridges and one cattle underpass. The Contract will also consist of the realignment of Regional and Local Roads, the construction of new local roads and the construction of accommodation roads. The standard dual carriageway cross section is comprised of 4 no. travelling lanes, 2 no. hard shoulders, 2 no. verges and a central reserve. The works also include the design and construction of associated drainage, accommodation works, fencing, ducting, signs, ancillary works, diversions of public and private services, lighting, landscaping and environmental works.
    CPV: 45233100, 45233121, 74232200, 45220000, 45221100.

Maybe, that's what should have been listed instead!

Regards!

• Advertisement

In the current climate nothing short of diggers a digging actually means anything . The NRA is frantically trying to gain political support by appearing to progress lots of jobbies here and there, the N17 contract I linked is not on a preferred route I believe .

I thought geotechnical was only done on a preferred route , this contract is for 5 routes . I may be wrong though and it may be standard practise.

I take Etenders with a pinch of salt, the tenders for the N25 Kinsale Road GSJ in Cork appeared in April 2008, despite the fact that the thing opened a year previously after a 2 year build.

Latest news ->

N18 Gort-Crusheen – Design/Build Tenders received 28th April, construction to start 2008
    Oranmore-Gort – Design/Build tender submission date September 2008

Still wont be happy till I see diggers on the ground, but a bit of progress anyway.

FWIW the N6 outer bypass and N17 Galway - Tuam are waiting on An Bord Pleanala at the moment. Outer bypass is being fought by hippies but with the N17, the residents of Claregalway will be out with shovels helping the diggers.

Latest news ->

N18 Gort-Crusheen – Design/Build Tenders received 28th April, construction to start 2008

Really ?? , and where is Dempsey getting the money for the N8 Cork contracts that finish earlier than planned this year ??
    Oranmore-Gort – Design/Build tender submission date September 2008
    This looks doomed , not starting till 2009 even of there was money.
    Still wont be happy till I see diggers on the ground, but a bit of progress anyway.
    I agree wholeheartedly with that .
    FWIW the N6 outer bypass and N17 Galway - Tuam are waiting on An Bord Pleanala at the moment. Outer bypass is being fought by hippies but with the N17, the residents of Claregalway will be out with shovels helping the diggers.
    This is wrong, may I explain.

1. The strongest objection to the N6 , presented to the Bord Inspector came from THE GOVERNMENT Parks and Wildlife service. Civil Servants not Hippies.

Its described here

2. N17 / M17 Galway - Tuam is no longer a standalone scheme .

It has been rolled up with the N17 Tuam Bypass and the N17 Tuam - Claremorris schemes and there will be a single hearing by a Bord Pleanala Inspector on the rolled up scheme .....sometime after 2011 if not later seeing as the route selection is not even complete on the Tuam - Claremorris section, much less the design thereof .

While the Galway Tuam section, pompously named the M17 was due to go to hearing in April as you can see here the NRA changed the project scope .

I believe that either the hearing or the report was cancelled by the NRA because it was no longer going ahead as a single scheme .

There is no chance we will see the route from Athenry to Claremorris for another 10 years at least .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

i agree hippies too,

give me a break in any other country the road would be built!

• Advertisement

Early mumblings are around 2010 or 2011 for the N20 to start - that will be Mallow - Croom as its the most needed. 2011 or 2012 for the others to start.

2015 should see the N20 done, be it as a PPP or not :(

That lieing scumbag can stay right out of the DoT.

FWIW the N21 Castleisland bypass is on the NRA site at Tender, it appeared around the same time as the N18. Again, not happy till I see diggers on the ground, but I really think there are bigger priorities than the N21, maybe its what politicians shout the loudest.

Victor wrote: »
    Whether it is one person or a million doesn't change what is right or wrong.

The evidence the Gobernment Scientist gave against the bypass is quite compelling and I am not the one who lumped her in with 'hippies ' am I ??

Personally I want to see the Galway Outer Bypass built along its proposed alignment and personally I want to see it start next year at the latest .

Galway , after all, is the only major Irish City with no bypass built or part built or being built .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And the Quincentennial Bridge forms part of what?

Victor wrote: »
    And the Quincentennial Bridge forms part of what?

Its a 1980s bypass planned in the 1970s Victor as was the now properly bypassed Childers Road in Limerick.

It crosses a bog and ends in the Headford Road roundabout FFS :(

Its an example of dreadful planning that current 'ring-road' is. No room for grade separation, and the whole idea of the Terryland and Headford road roundabouts are appalling, because ALL traffic has to do a lane swap. Throw in a few major shopping centres and theres your disaster.

If the current ring road had been future proofed from day one (and didnt contain about 7 or 8 roundabouts) the Outer Bypass may not be needed at all.

The North Circular Road in Dublin was a bypass once and no doubt could be again Victor with a bit of work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Seen that we are talking about the Quincentennial Bridge, any news on the planned Dualing of Seamus Quirke road through Westside? I recall they did publish the initial plan (was it two years ago) but havn't heard anything bout it in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

FWIW the N21 Castleisland bypass is on the NRA site at Tender, it appeared around the same time as the N18. Again, not happy till I see diggers on the ground, but I really think there are bigger priorities than the N21, maybe its what politicians shout the loudest.

I'd imagine the the Castleisland Bypass is on Jackie Healy-Rae's infamous list, or at least it will be when he shows up at the opening :D

dubhthach wrote: »
    Seen that we are talking about the Quincentennial Bridge, any news on the planned Dualing of Seamus Quirke road through Westside? I recall they did publish the initial plan (was it two years ago) but havn't heard anything bout it in a long time.

No news :( I've got all the plans on my HDD and if they ever build the thing, traffic levels will be above what they propose at the end of life of this upgrade.

It wont even increase traffic capacity much, its just adding bus lanes on each side and some traffic light works.

It also wont happen I reckon, as its not government funded and Galway City Council will never shell out that amount of money in the current climate.

I do think tho that 20 minutes with a screwdriver and a manual on traffic lights would solve a LOT of the problems there. Its just that the current sequences and light positions are woefully designed.

• Advertisement

It also wont happen I reckon, as its not government funded and Galway City Council will never shell out that amount of money in the current climate.

The money for it was blown on Eyre Square when that scheme went €10m over budget .
    I do think tho that 20 minutes with a screwdriver and a manual on traffic lights would solve a LOT of the problems there. Its just that the current sequences and light positions are woefully designed.

10 mins with a chainsaw on the set outside Aldi would work wonders :)

Lest any disparaging comments be made I would point out that this matter was raised by Contract Botanists working for the NRA and that they discharged their statutory and contractual duty .

There is a similar 'check' under way on the N6 Galway Outer Bypass at present.

This plant is on the same list of rare plants as the Bog Cotton found on the N6 Outer Bypass route west of Galway.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/4364-protected-plant-delay-n18
    THE discovery of a protected plant has delayed progress on the Galway to Gort section of the proposed new N18.

It has been learned that the rare plant is now being examined by ecologists and will have to be moved under supervision. The discovery of the Wood Bitter Vetch was made at Kilternan near Gort and has held up progress on the road.

When the discovery was made as part of a routine examination of the route, the National Parks and Wildlife Service were immediately informed.

The National Roads Authority now has to obtain a licence to carefully remove the plant from its present location and replant it elsewhere. Tony Collins of the National Roads Authority office in Galway said that discussions were currently taking place over the removal of the plant.

The Dept of Finance will be ****ing delighted now they can blame the Heritage industry . Further down the following is noted

The contracts for section from Ennis to Gort are expected to be signed by the end of the year

After the budget that finally officially cuts those funds off completely as in like OOPS !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Rare plants, why not dig them up and replant them somewhere else.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Reenascreena

For what it's worth Dempsey met with the Atlantic lobby group yesterday.

Speaking to interest groups from the west he confirmed that Gort-Crusheen and Oranmore-Gort would both be going to tender and not delayed.

This was sent out to journalists in a press release today but is not yet up on the DOT website.

Irish Times reports:

"Mr Dempsey said the Gort-Crusheen bypass scheme would proceed. On transport capital projects that had been planned, he said: "Government is appraising all of those and, before the budget this year, we will have a good idea of what the capital projects are.
    "We are not talking about cancelling projects per se, but there has to be a re-prioritisation.
    "As of now, I can't tell you what that prioritisation might be, but ones that are already in train, where money has been provided for, like the major inter-urban roads, like the Atlantic Way, and sections of that will continue."

For what it's worth Dempsey met with the Atlantic lobby group yesterday.

Its worthless.

Read this press release in January

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,11671,en.html
    169km of new road construction will commence in 2008. Projects will include the 27km (N9) Killcullen to Carlow; the 40km (N9) Carlow to Knocktopher; the 36km (N7) Castletown to Nenagh; the 28km (N18) Oranmore to Gort; the 22km (N18) Gort to Crusheen; the 14km (N52) Tullamore Bypass and the 2km (N7) Newlands Cross upgrade.

He has cut the ones in bold . As for the rest of it
    Eight projects are moving forward into the Compulsory Purchase Order stage in 2008 and the projects are (N4) Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod; (N11) Enniscorthy Bypass; (N15) Ballybofey / Stranolar Bypass; (N22) Tralee Bypass; (N22) Ballyvourney to Mcroom; (N25) Carrigtwohill to Midleton; (N56) Mountcharles to Inver and (N85) Ballyconnell Inner Relief Road.

I believe that only the N15 stranorlar bypass will go to CPO this year and that all the rest , and the N21 castleisland bypass, have been cancelled.

The 2007 CPO list is here, notice any repetitions , notice any CPOs either ???
    N4: Carrick-on-Shannon bypass 6km S2+1
    N5: Longford bypass 2.6km S2
    N7: Newlands Cross grade separation
    N11: Enniscorthy bypass 20km DC
    N15: Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass 16km DC
    N17: Galway-Tuam 22km DC
    N22: Tralee Bypass 11km S2
    N22: Ballyvourney-Macroom 42km S2
    N25 New Ross Bypass 16km DC
    N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton 4.5km DC
    N26 Ballina/Bohola Phase 2, 18km S2
    N56 4.9km S2, N87 1.2km S2

Dempsey has been told that he has enough money to finish whats already being built and then its rail only for the next 5 years.

As there have been no CPOs these projects evidently cannot go ahead in 2009 or 2010 or 2011, they are dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

I think one of the earlier posts stated that the resurection of the claregalway bypass would signal that the N18 was on ice. This article was in yesterday's Galway Independent. Not exactly contract signing.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/step-forward-for-claregalway-bypass/

My favourite line in the piece is: "This funding allows for the appointment of consultants, planning and design and for the preparation of a business case and robust costings for this essential new road. This commitment of funding represents a significant step forward for the Claregalway Inner Relief Road," said Deputy Grealish.

If I am not mistaken there was money available to start the bypass in 2005 when the M3 was delayed but that was withdrawn when the land puchase could not be agreed. If that is the case I assume someone had a set of plans to work off.

As for a business case, surely it doesn't cost a fortune to take a few pictures of the regular tailbacks and cutout the 100 or so newspaper articles that have been published in the last 5 years and put them in a scrap book.

I feel a mastercard ad coming on.... Photocopy a set of plans 20 euro, take and print a couple of pictures of a regular tail back, employ consultants to compile it all together, PRICELESS!

Is it just me or is there an embargo on claregalway being mentioned in the traffic announcements? I was sitting in traffic coming home from work yesterday and heard about roadworks around the county and country. They mentioned Barna and Moycullen, but nothing about the digging up of the junction in Claregalway. It got me thinking I can't remember the last time claregalway was mentioned in a traffic report. I know it is pretty much a given that at certain times the traffic is cronic, but Moate was in the news to the very end. Am I just paranoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Its worthless.

Read this press release in January

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,11671,en.html

He has cut the ones in bold . As for the rest of it

I believe that only the N15 stranorlar bypass will go to CPO this year and that all the rest , and the N21 castleisland bypass, have been cancelled.

The 2007 CPO list is here, notice any repetitions , notice any CPOs either ???

Dempsey has been told that he has enough money to finish whats already being built and then its rail only for the next 5 years.

As there have been no CPOs these projects evidently cannot go ahead in 2009 or 2010 or 2011, they are dead!

Spongebob, where did you get this information?

Furet wrote: »
    Spongebob, where did you get this information?

Finance as I have oft said.

Further confirmation of what I have said all along, that the National Roads program has been utterly filleted by finance, has come from the Galway Advertiser today . Its a comment on the Galway Outer Bypass.

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=13033

The outer bypass is the only project in the National Road Authority’s budget that is programmed to commence in 2009.

No N15 N21 N22 N25 N17 N18 N20 N24 N4 schemes

N18s are still scheduled for this year so that article can still technically be true.

Although I do fear for them. But they were originally scheduled for 2010 and 2011 starts.

And the entire road network projects are to be done by 2015, which is still possible.

Call me naive, but I cant see cutbacks as severe as you're saying. Roads are this governments way of saying "Hey look we're doing something" so I still think they'll push for them. Delayed by a year or two maybe, but not outright ****canned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

N18s are still scheduled for this year so that article can still technically be true.

Although I do fear for them. But they were originally scheduled for 2010 and 2011 starts.

And the entire road network projects are to be done by 2015, which is still possible.

Call me naive, but I cant see cutbacks as severe as you're saying. Roads are this governments way of saying "Hey look we're doing something" so I still think they'll push for them. Delayed by a year or two maybe, but not outright ****canned.

Chris, I'm inclined to think you're right. Once the N18 project commences, how much of the road between Limerick and Galway will be motorway?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement