Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

mysterious wrote: »
    Anymore pics?
    I do plan on getting a few pictures at some stage from up around the Gort end of the scheme. I just haven't had the time. If I'm not going away this weekend I should be able to get some photos but it's likely that I won't be around Galway.

murphaph wrote: »
    I'm convinced that the roundabout is only being used so they can get away with one MSA covering all three motorways. Any freeflow solution would have meant extra infrastructure to get away with one MSA or else build an MSA for the M6 mainline and another one for the M17/18 mainline. Still sucks though and the least they should have done was move the MSA away from the junction to allow an upgrade later (even though stacked roundabouts are awkward as it is to upgrade).

I'm convinced of this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Surprised by some reactions here tbh. When the culture in place is to build the projects *won* as spoils by the local FF crew, why are you surprised when the projects are built to a standard below what you expect?

The key for the N/M 18/17 is that it can be presented to the local voters as evidence their local TD delivers, whats a roundabout between friends when the road has been built. Thats what matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Roundabout for now. It'll be replaced with a full GSJ when Oranmore - Gort is built. Dunno why they decided not to build a GSJ from day 1 though.

I can nearly almost confirm a grade seperated is going to be constructed outside gort. I took a drive down today to take a few pictures and there is a overhead bridge being constructed. Also the transport 21 signage outside the town says to be constructed: 2 grade seperated junctions Only thing is I emailed the NRA before an they said an at grade roundabout just like chris mentioned here

I will have photos for the scheme posted shortly.

Transport 21 signage outside gort(2 GSJs) :D
    DSC01641.jpg

Looking northbound taken from the crossover at the tubber to gort road
    DSC01628.jpg

Looking southbound toward crusheen from crossover at tubber-gort road
    DSC01624.jpg

The main one: Gort Grade Seperated Junction
    DSC01637.jpg

Progress being made at Crusheen lately
    DSC01622.jpg

Crossover near the north of gort at the R460
    DSC01633.jpg

Another photo of the Gort grade seperated junction
    DSC01636.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

And they started this in November? :eek:

Truly amazing progress. Thanks for the pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Jesus Christ they have bridges up.

This is putting the entire of the M7 to shame.

By the looks of it, this will be done, finished and opened before some of the M7 schemes, having started up to a year later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Jesus! :eek: Ferocious progress. That's how it's done! Inspiring stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Yes but the Castletown scheme is far longer and they are far more bridges. Has anyone any pics of the Castletown schemes.

Why can't they just get the M7 going. fianna fail are screwed if they don't finish it by 2010. If they don't I'll make sure they will pay.

I'll just make sure I point it out often enough. I've already made sure fianna fail are going to lose in Tipp.

If you get your little finger out fianna fail, I might just relax;)

Yes but the Castletown scheme is far longer and they are far more bridges. Has anyone any pics of the Castletown schemes.

I posted five pictures of the Castletown scheme recently. Quite unadvanced I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

I added some extra photos to the original ones last night, progress at crusheen is not as advanced as the gort side. As you can see with the last pic the gort GSJ is indeed being constructed.

Also can someone get a better pic of the gort GSJ as I couldnt find any location to get near to the bridge?

But they have the entire route excavated. The earth works on Moneygall was huge, infact they were going very fast, what is the problem with it now.

I'm afraid they don't have the bit between Roscrea and Castletown excavated very much at all. They barely have a few feet of topsoil removed where it passes the N62 just south of Roscrea for example.

Passed this last night, but was getting dark so no photos. Progress is ridiculously fast still.

SOME OF THE CONCRETE UNDERBRIDGE STRUCTURES ARE COMPLETE. Now they've got to build dirt on either side of them to use them as an underbridge, but the concrete structures are already there.

Also on the Ennis side two bridge pilings have appeared to take the future old N18 overbridge over the current tie-in. My guess is that for the tie-in, they'll shut the current N18 and direct all traffic through Barefield for a while and over this new bridge.

This is picture from the M7 thread.

C-NunderpassatDunkerrin.jpg

The Gort - Crusheen one has one of these and its more advanced than this, despite starting only 3 1/2 months ago.

Passed this last night, but was getting dark so no photos. Progress is ridiculously fast still.

SOME OF THE CONCRETE UNDERBRIDGE STRUCTURES ARE COMPLETE.

Now now Chris. As we know from the M7/M8 thread, these structures take *a very long time* to complete. Especially in winter. Can't do much in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Well, one difference that I could suggest is that the terrain in that part of Clare is perhaps more rocky/less boggy than the M7/M8 which presumably goes through some very boggy land?

I'm not trying to be an apologist (I'm usually fairly cynical) but the difference is so stark that there surely is a concrete reason (excuse the pun) for the paces of construction differing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Zoney wrote: »
    Well, one difference that I could suggest is that the terrain in that part of Clare is perhaps more rocky/less boggy than the M7/M8 which presumably goes through some very boggy land?

I'm not trying to be an apologist (I'm usually fairly cynical) but the difference is so stark that there surely is a concrete reason (excuse the pun) for the paces of construction differing.

is the terrain vastly different to the M8 Cullohil to Cashel section?

Dont think its massively different, but I do definately think the finger is firmly out on this scheme.

Perhaps the consortium think they'll be more likely to get more work if they get it done nice and quickly?

Dont think its massively different, but I do definately think the finger is firmly out on this scheme.

Perhaps the consortium think they'll be more likely to get more work if they get it done nice and quickly?

There is very few bridges and structures going up in comparison to the M7 scheme...

They might be speedy on this so far. But the contractors seem to be going ok on the Castletown scheme. I'm worried about the Nenagh and Portaoise ends

Yeah maybe they have their eyes set on doing the gort-tuam scheme if it ever goes ahead. Reading an article in the sunday business post today suggest funding has ran out for any future ppp's until the credit crunch is over. Banks are not willing to finance any big projects like this for quiet some time. Lets hope thats not the case come april.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

In making comparisons to the M7 you have to take into account that, as well as possibly different terrain, this scheme is considerably shorter than M7 schemes.

That said, I passed it at the weekend, and progress is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I drove by it today, and I'm impressed with how much has been done considering the time since they began. The underpass Chris_533976 was referring to looks good, there are a few pillars and endpoints for some bidges nearing completion. Anything north of Crusheen is too far from the existing road to assess the progress of it, but the stretch between Crusheen and the Ennis by-bass is extremely close.

Got some (bad) pics as a car passenger. Will post soon.

Heres the promised car-window pics of Crusheen - Gort. They're abysmal, but they're better than nothing.

All taken 23/03/2009.

Tie in at Ennis bypass end -

CIMG0780.jpg

Two pylons up for the bridge that will connect Barefield to the current N18

CIMG0781.jpg

Couple pics between Barefield and Crusheen

CIMG0782.jpg

CIMG0783.jpg

CIMG0784.jpg

CIMG0785.jpg

Some overbridge near Crusheen. Foundations in and done.

CIMG0786.jpg

CIMG0787.jpg

Two pics of the emerging junction at Crusheen

CIMG0788.jpg

CIMG0789.jpg

The only pic I could get of the Gort tie-in. Can just see the overbridge for the GSJ appearing

CIMG0790.jpg

Yeah they're crap, but they're better than no pics.

Progress is great, but it's not ahead of the M7 castletown scheme, Just some sections of the Castletown scheme are not that advanced it's more than twice the lenght of this route, with more interchanges.

There is only one GSJ been built on this scheme, the road is fairly straight and comes into contact with little to no major road. Also the Castletown scheme is a fair bit from the Main road, so this mean more machinary has to travel. I seen the Castletown scheme the other day, and it's not far behind and will complete on time if not early.

Theres two GSJs ;)

Crusheen and Gort. Crusheen was always on the plans as a GSJ but Gort was supposed to be a mere roundabout originally. They're building the GSJ there now (which will save another Fermoy bypass tie-in stupidity fest)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Some overbridge near Crusheen. Foundations in and done.

CIMG0786.jpg

CIMG0787.jpg

Thats an underbridge.:P

Virtually identical to the one in place at Mackney, Ballinasloe for local access on the M6.
    22082008152.jpg
    22082008153.jpg

Thanks for the pics. :)

Theres two GSJs ;)

Crusheen and Gort. Crusheen was always on the plans as a GSJ but Gort was supposed to be a mere roundabout originally. They're building the GSJ there now (which will save another Fermoy bypass tie-in stupidity fest)

Yes strange. I emailed the NRA before and they said it was one and then had a look at the transport 21 signage outside Gort and it showed two. Would be nice to get a good photo of the GSJ up close but would have to enter the site though to take it. Btw thanks for the pics!

Will take a few more photos in a month or two when there is futher progress. I passed the gort GSJ yesterday and its looking even more impressive.

Yeah I'm really glad they made the decision to GSJ it from day 1. A roundabout would have been a crappy tie-in. I think they came to their senses that with the N17/18 scheme next on the list (take from that what you will given the current debacle in the finances) it would be a good idea to make the tie-in as different from the crap at Fermoy as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Drove past today and I noted that the construction site up at the Gort end (where the GSJ is) is fenced off. As it's right beside a residential area this is obviously to stop kids going on the construction site playing or teens hanging around on the site when workers aren't around. Makes sense but makes getting a good picture of the GSJ and general work around that area sort of tricky..

PS - anyone who lives in the vicinity of the N18 between Oranmore and Crusheen who may have lost a cat recently. Take a drive on the N18 and I'm sure you'll find it in the form of roadkill! I must have passed at least 10 poor unfortunate cats today on that stretch - RIP!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement