Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountancy Entry Salary Expectations - IT background

Options
  • 08-02-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am an IT developer who has been working in an accounts department for the last 2.5 years, for one of the big 4 banks. I have spend most of this time writing SQL (Teradata, Brio, MS Query) & VBA code, and automating the generation of reports.

I was originally an Engineer by degree (masters from QUB), and moved into Building Services/construction during the boom years. Naturally job opportunites there are limited now, in hindsight I was lucky to get out at the time. There is probably little chance of resuming a career there at this stage (I am 30 and the industry will be flat for years to come - 300k empty houses! etc).

I have been giving serious thought into going back and getting my accountancy qualifications. But obviously going back to a graduate salary would be a bit of an issue. I was wondering whether anyone was familiar with someone with a (very relevant) IT background coming in to their department and doing a role which is a combination of Accountancy and IT, to give them a bit of better starting salary in the place??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭viconia

From my knowledge, a lot of accountancy firms have an auditing department for IT controls (i.e. do accounting and IT stuff for clients). However, if you're an unqualified accountant, you'll end up going on a graduate salary (circa 21,000).

I'd imagine this would decrease if you go to smaller firms aswell. Alternatively you could just continue working as you are, and obtain your ACCA yourself and see if the bank will help you pay the fees and/or give you some study leave. My friend in Bank of Ireland is doing that - they're giving him time off but not giving him the fees for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Thanks Viconia.

I was actually working in the department itself, ie with the other accountants. I know they do some of the IT controls stuff in auditing accounts alright, I was hoping for something a bit more hands on. I was more involved in report generation, which is probably more valuable in the long term.

21k is a hell of a drop :eek: (wasnt sure about the exact figure), and you're right about the exams but I think I need more relevant experience, so even if I continued in my IT Develpoment role with the higher salary and paid the exams myself I wouldn't be getting this. It's certainly something to think about!!

Advertisement