Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the starting salary for the graduate programme at Deloitte Ireland?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have been offered a position in audit and was wondering what to expecT, as regards salary and any other general information?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Most seem to be around the early 22k amount.

Not sure if Deloitte do that, but it's my understanding of the Big 4 average. Deloitte, KPMG, EY & PWC will be paying the same at minor differences.

I think you get an extra grand if you've a masters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

With a masters, €22,500, without a masters, €21,600. They were the starting salaries for those who started last autumn anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

With a masters, €22,500, without a masters, €21,600. They were the starting salaries for those who started last autumn anyway.

Expect those starting salaries to go down this september if the pay freeze in Big 4 is continued as there is no way a first year will be on the same amount as a second year.

With regards other information, what exactly do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

The pay freeze has been lifted in Deloitte I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

hey I just got offered a position in the EY graduate programme in audit, so im kind of in the same situation as your man above just wondering what to expect, namely are the horror stories about the hours as bad as made out? what's it like after the busy season, does it let up a bit?
    I'm still interviewing for a few other jobs as well, one in a mid sized firm and one in industry, anyone have any opinion on whether I would be better going with one of them? Be hard to turn down EY but i do like my life as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

thisguy wrote: »
    hey I just got offered a position in the EY graduate programme in audit, so im kind of in the same situation as your man above just wondering what to expect, namely are the horror stories about the hours as bad as made out? what's it like after the busy season, does it let up a bit?
    I'm still interviewing for a few other jobs as well, one in a mid sized firm and one in industry, anyone have any opinion on whether I would be better going with one of them? Be hard to turn down EY but i do like my life as well!

Try talking to some ppl that are currently working in E&Y if you know any but from what I've heard of E&Y they're by far the worst of the big 4 in how they treat their staff. Know a few ppl that have worked there and I don't think that any of them had much good to say about it.

To be brutally honest with you Auditing is a sh1t job, which provides no satisfaction and ultimately accomplishes nothing. If you get offered the job in industry I would advise you to take it as it should be more interesting and the work somewhat meaningful.

Big 4 dont treat their staff particularly well and the hours can be pretty horrific. It really depends what jobs you are put on. As far as I'm aware EY dont pay their staff overtime anymore, so you could be working 60-70 hour weeks for no extra pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

04072511 wrote: »
    To be brutally honest with you Auditing is a sh1t job, which provides no satisfaction and ultimately accomplishes nothing. If you get offered the job in industry I would advise you to take it as it should be more interesting and the work somewhat meaningful.

Big 4 dont treat their staff particularly well and the hours can be pretty horrific. It really depends what jobs you are put on. As far as I'm aware EY dont pay their staff overtime anymore, so you could be working 60-70 hour weeks for no extra pay.

As per usual there are the audit is terrible comments. Frankly, it's not that bad. If you are doing it just because all of your friends from Commerce are doing it too and you have no interest in business in general or accounting in particular, then yes, you will probably hate it.

If you are going to go work in practice I'd advise you to stick with E&Y. Big 4 is very useful to have on the CV if you decided to move into industry when you qualify.

As for the industry job, well it depends. Working in practice first gives you a broader base and ties you less to a particular firm. You get good training and exposure to a lot of firms and great study leave. You are also going to be working with a whole load of young people which can be quite fun at times, a little bit like college! I obviously chose to train in practice so I guess I am biased towards it. I'm not the best to advise on industry since I haven't done it, but when I was deciding those were my main reasons.

You may not like audit however as it requires a certain mindset. I'd strongly advise looking into it and getting an idea of what the work is like. It can be hard going and boring at times but equally you learn a lot and get to see the nuts and bolts of businesses. If you like the sound of it, have a good attitude and focus on getting the most out of your training contract, then you will do fine. But actually research what it is like. Otherwise you might be posting here in a year saying how ****e it is.

Well very few of my college friends are going into the big 4 this year, most are going back to do a post grad with the way the jobs situation is.

I do have an interest in business, and am looking forward to, as you say, seeing the nuts and bolts of how big companies operate. That said, it's not like I wake up in the morning with anticipation on hearing the latest news from the business pages either! Maybe that will come in time after spending time working in the business world.

I plan on completing the interview process for both the mid sized firm, and industry job, but on balance I think I will accept E&Y's offer. I think the training you get will be best there, as well as the CV after the 3 years. Thanks for your opinion, it's nice to read that not everyone has bad things to say about the big 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

As far as I'm aware EY dont pay their staff overtime anymore, so you could be working 60-70 hour weeks for no extra pay.

This is true, and definitely something to think about before accepting a job there!

• Advertisement

but equally you learn a lot and get to see the nuts and bolts of businesses.

All Lies.

The Big 4 Brainwash you into thinking that. You learn how to audit, and how an audit works. Thats about it. You dont get a great insight into how a business is run and how it markets its products/ services etc.

I do have an interest in business, and am looking forward to, as you say, seeing the nuts and bolts of how big companies operate.
    I plan on completing the interview process for both the mid sized firm, and industry job, but on balance I think I will accept E&Y's offer. I think the training you get will be best there, as well as the CV after the 3 years. Thanks for your opinion, it's nice to read that not everyone has bad things to say about the big 4!
    You want to see the nuts and bolts of business and are leaning towards audit rather than industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Expect those starting salaries to go down this september if the pay freeze in Big 4 is continued as there is no way a first year will be on the same amount as a second year.

With regards other information, what exactly do you want to know?

Just wondering where you got this from since the current Deloitte second years are on less than when they started as they got hit with the paycut and freeze.

Figures showing the €21,500 and €22,500 are the current scales in Deloitte. This was a cut of approx. 20-25% between the initial offers that had been sent out in 2008/2009 and actually starting with the firm in the Autumn so would be very surprised if they tried to cut it further as it is already well below the previous starting scale. Don't hold your breath on the ratings salary (these are negligible btw) increases either, the criteria for getting an EE are difficult to achieve to say the least. You are also required to get an EE in your review prior to being awarded a promotion.

You want to see the nuts and bolts of business and are leaning towards audit rather than industry?

That's more of a bonus then why im joining them, i've heard quite a few people say that you would learn a bit about how large companies are run. Probably not as much as actualy working for one in industry, but the CV you can come out with a big 4 is the main factor I think. Haven't decided yet, and wasn't even offered the other ones yet so may be a moot point, but I'm definetly leaning towards EY.

Fair play.

I just remember talking to peers who trained in audit who didn't meet any body outside of accounting bar the odd bit of stocktaking.

Training in industry I got to work with sales, engineering, legal people etc

Big 4 training does still look good on a CV though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

All Lies.

The Big 4 Brainwash you into thinking that. You learn how to audit, and how an audit works. Thats about it. You dont get a great insight into how a business is run and how it markets its products/ services etc.

I would disagree, your time in an audit firm is what you make of it. If you focus on purely your tasks and ignore the context and bigger picture, then sure, you won't learn a lot. But hey, everyone is different. Nothing wrong with training in industry, just think about what you want to do and where you want to go and decide what suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bobo the clown

I'm just wondering what was the application and interview process like with the beig 4......you probably need a 1.1 to get a job anyway even though i know a lad in one of the big 4 but he isn't located in dublin and he said it wasn't because of his grades but he is probably lying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JJia

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Try talking to some ppl that are currently working in E&Y if you know any but from what I've heard of E&Y they're by far the worst of the big 4 in how they treat their staff. Know a few ppl that have worked there and I don't think that any of them had much good to say about it.

very true!! E&Y should not be your first choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 timo87

what are KPMG like in this regard does anyone know?

Advertisement