Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Hire Excess Insurance

• 31-03-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Off to France in a few weeks and hiring a car for 9 days. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Car Hire Excess Insurance? I find the rates charged by the hire companies themselves are usually very high, and in my experience companies will charge for any minor scratch or bump.

I bought some a couple of years back from Axa (http://www.axacarhireexcess.ie/), and when it looked like I was going to have to claim for a scratch on the car I was very disappointed in the service. No-one in Axa wanted anything to do with it, they told me to ring a UK company who had never heard of Axa, and couldn't recognise the policy or the policy number. Before I had a chance to pursue it the car hire company changed their mind and decided not to charge for the excess, but I'm still wary of Axa's product.

Has anyone used any other services (or even Axa)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 oopsbuddy

I am also off to France in about 2 months, and am baffled by the excesses mentioned. Many websites claim full insurance cover with "No surprises" such, but the small print seems to suggest that ther certainly will be additional excesses (or you can insure against them!). Similarly, the headline prices offered are only part of teh price when the additional insurance cover is added on. Reminds me of Ryanair quoted flight prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Milesandmiles

Hi, I used insurance4carhire. I hire abroad quite frequently so it's def worth my while.

I've never had to use it so can't comment on how easy or otherwise it is to deal with the co. Hired in England over the weekend and in the US a couple of weeks ago. I encountered v hard sell tactics from the people I was hiring off. They really were trying to convince me to buy the excess cover.

Insurance4carhire were the first to the market but I read about a competitor in the ST travel supplement the Sun before last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 samdriscoll

I need a car hire insurance ! lemme kno dat how can I get it !!!
    I have visited a website of blueinsurances. Car Hire Excess Insurance :)Is it the right choice ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 samdriscoll

sorry guys n gals,.................I need the insurance for ireland !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

I also used them and they were great to deal with when I had a claim a few years back. No hassle getting the claim settled.

Unfortunately, they no longer offer cover to Republic of Ireland residents post Brexit. Does anyone have any recommendation for a company offering annual car hire excess insurance to Irish residents? I found a company online called carhireexcess.ie. They seem to be reasonable value, but I don't know what they're like to deal with in the event of a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The thread is 11 years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement