Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

• 06-07-2010 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

ffxivlogo.jpg

With an official release date recently accounced for the end of Sept. (22/09/10 - 30/09/10), the follow-up to FFXI (The first MMO from the Final Fantasy series) is nearly upon us!

FFXI was my first MMO ;'( I have so many great memories which means extremely high expectations for this next adventure, its hard to believe that it has been 8 years ^^ Im so excited to get my hands on FFXIV and I must say that even though Ive been a WoW head on and off for the last 4 odd years, I have always missed FFXI, I genuinely believe it was the best and most addictive MMO Ive played. That does raise the question of why I stopped playing FFXI ;p it had a couple of flaws which unfortunately were massive, that being the "RMT" (real money traders - the chinese farmers basically) heavily impacted the game, not just the effect on the economy but also the areas which they populated hampered general game play and experience and the other being you pretty much couldnt solo play past lvl10-15 (well you could, but it steeply climbed to the point where you could pour hours into trying to lvl up and hardly see your bar budge). Those 2 points simply killed the game for me personally and even though I didnt like WoW as much, the faster and more accessible everything in WoW made me cave - keeping in mind this was over 4 years ago, before Blizzard took out its oversized nerf hammer and wtfpwn'd everything and anything to ensure that even a severely mentally challenged individual could have a fully epically geared lvl capped character in next to no time! From what I understand, FFXIV will have a much more balanced solo/party experience, thats 1 problem hopefully solved, the other is a wait-and-see I guess.

From the FFXIV YouTube Channel , trailer from this years E3 (*EDIT: Couldnt get embedding to work :s)

A tester shows some Alpha gameplay footage. Do keep in mind that there will be many changes from Alpha --> finished product, also if you dont find this very exciting, try imagine what someone who knows nothing about your favourite MMO watching a video clip from early stages of you running around with a bit of cloth over your back hitting things with a stick would think :-p
    *EDIT: Figured I should update this since the Alpha footage is now very dated (and has been removed even), here is some Beta3 Party footage, Thankfully much improved over Alpha (fyi, skip to about 9:20 if you just wanna see a battle) - a large bunch of people just trying their luck against some higher lvl mobs.

Other links; FFXIV-Europe Official site, FFXIV Bench Official Benchmark tool.
    screengrab2a.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've been keeping an eye on this, and it looks pretty great, but the combat looks really slow and boring. I know its early Alpha, but they really need to do a better job then what they've shown so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Yeah the combat in the Alpha clip is slow and clumsy. From what I understand they have already made changes to the system, the Beta has a nicely overhauled UI and the mechanics and pace have been improved and increased. I would be very surprised if they really messed things up, since the combat system in FFXI wasnt bad, theyve had 8 years to improve it :p

I remember a friend of mine trying to get me started on FFXI and the first thing I asked him was the combat system anything like other FF games, as I really really didnt like turn based crap which seemed to be present in any of the non MMO FF games I tried briefly before. The short answer being - no, its not :)

Some ppl have referred to FFXIV as a love child of WoW & FFXI. While I wouldnt mind taking some aspects from WoW, I really hope they havent gone too far with making this one more "casual friendly". XI was tough and quite unforgiving, but I liked the challenge. The fact you lost exp if you died meant you valued your life and when it came to taking risks, it actually felt like you were risking something more than an insignificant repair bill. The thrill of running to that harbour from Windurst when you were lvl12 to team up with people was truly epic (back when epic meant something), Mobs with more than just prox aggro, you had to hide behind rocks to stay out of sight of Goblins, then leggit behind their back to get past them - Brilliant! Far off lands actually felt like far off lands! You appreciated being there after making the journey as opposed to the average pugger from WoW who joins a group, demands a summon (even if hes one of the nearest to the target location!) and then throws his toys around the place if something happens he doesnt like, he then leaves the group which frequently results in a domino effect. (<--- that scenario is sadly something you can expect to come across several times a week in WoW. In 2 years of playing FFXI that is something which probably happened several times - in total). Can see Im rambling already and tbh I could type til my fingers hurt about my memories of FFXI, my excitement of XIV and comparisons between XI and WoW ^^ But I best stop... ^^ I will throw in 1 more, coz I just cant help it ;p To highlight the difference between the general player base of the 2 MMOs, in FFXI a white mage (priest) passing the corpse of someone in their travels would 9 out of 10 times stop to res them (this is a bigger deal than it sounds, would take too long to explain why) - which would also restore some of the exp lost from the death, in WoW its no longer a surprise to see a healer leave a dungeon or raid run leaving corpses behind, maybe its not that often of an occurrence, but often enough now that if I see it my only thoughts are "well thats WoW for ya".

Pfff...

Roll on September XD

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I've always been a big fan of Final Fantasy games, ever since 4 simply blew my mind and showed me what a great RPG could be like. Don't even get me started about 7 through 10. Quality games. But a friend of mine was invited to the alpha for FF14 and having missed out on 11 in its early stages I was very interested in trying it out. That quickly changed when he told me about the state of the Alpha at the moment. Needless to say I decided to forego ruining my expectations of the game and have decided to just wait until its release.

Still, from what he's said I have to laugh at a Sept 2010 launch date. It seems like just another rushed MMO and Final Fantasy cash-in of which the last few FF titles, starting with X-2, have all been.

We'll see how things go but thus far I'm not expecting great things.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

"We would first like to express our appreciation for your interest in
    FINAL FANTASY XIV, and thank you for your application. It is our
    pleasure to inform you that you have been selected for the role of
    FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tester."

:D:D:D I'll enjoy the rest of this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

"We would first like to express our appreciation for your interest in
    FINAL FANTASY XIV, and thank you for your application. It is our
    pleasure to inform you that you have been selected for the role of
    FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tester."

:D:D:D I'll enjoy the rest of this summer

What server you on mate? I want someone to play with, well once this feckin huge download finishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I havn't made it to a server yet. I'm one of the poor sod's for whom clicking on the installed icon on the desktop, reads: "Final Fantasy XIV has stopped working"

they're fixing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Try updating your GFX drivers. I had that problem too where it would crash on launch but updated them and it was fine.

Beta is far better than the Alpha, im used to the slow gameplay because i played FFXI for years so it didnt bother me as much but they definately improved it in the Beta and for the better.

Check out videos of the two different battle styles and you will see, they implemented a stamina gauge and you can pretty much swing to your hearts content now but if you run out of stamina you cant, makes sense. Different moves use different amounts of stamina.

Beta has been cancelled for tonight due to techichal difficulties incase anyone was stuck or wondering!

For anyone looking to preorder the CE version online, I emailed Game yesterday just to see if they would post early for overseas orders - as I know they post the day before for UK orders to make sure they get it on the day.

"We endeavour to ship all of our releases in order to ensure delivery in time for release day, however our international customer may experience a regrettable delay in receiving their pre-order due to the extra time it takes to ship overseas.

Apologies for any disappointment."

Its a pity, they know it takes longer but they wont give it an extra day. I wouldnt mind missing 1 day, but any longer and thats also the weekend gone :/

Thats a pitty!

If you have time (i dont at the moment) give one of the game stores and ring and ask to speak to a manager.

Say you where in contact with game.co.uk and they directed you to one of the game stores to enquire if they can receive the CE of the game on release so we could just go in and buy it so we can avail of the early 8 days or whatever.

Let me know if you try it, if not ill give it a go tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Im a little pessimistic when it comes to pre ordering in store here, as in the past whats happened is they took your details but on the day it was first come first severed to anyone who put their name down (so why preorder?!)

Anyway, I rang Game and I was told they dont do that any more - if you preorder, they will keep a copy for you. But, he didnt have a code for the game on the PC (he did apparently have one for the PS3 o.O which as Im sure you know has an unconfirmed date in 2011). So I guess Ill call again end of month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

swirlser wrote: »
    Anyway, I rang Game and I was told they dont do that any more - if you preorder, they will keep a copy for you.

That may not be true... If you pay a deposit when you pre-order (you only pay a deposit when you're ordering one of the collectors editions that are on limited release), with Game you're guaranteed a copy; otherwise you're definitely not. There's no way to tell that you pre-ordered the game without a deposit slip. The best thing to do is to ring them up the evening before the release day and ask them to put your copy aside with your name on it.

I'll check for you tonight and I'll see if they are taking pre-orders for the PC version.

Notorious wrote: »
    That may not be true... If you pay a deposit when you pre-order (you only pay a deposit when you're ordering one of the collectors editions that are on limited release), with Game you're guaranteed a copy; otherwise you're definitely not. There's no way to tell that you pre-ordered the game without a deposit slip. The best thing to do is to ring them up the evening before the release day and ask them to put your copy aside with your name on it.

I'll check for you tonight and I'll see if they are taking pre-orders for the PC version.

When you check would you mind asking if its possible to get the Collectors Edition on Pre-Order. It entitles you to 8 days early to the game so if we could go in and collect it on the day that would be great! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Game are taking pre-orders on FFXIV on the PC, both the normal and collectors edition. I've no idea what comes with the collectors edition; usually we get detailed info on each game but not with FFXIV.

One point though - how could the collectors edition give you early access? If you get the game via download maybe, but both copies are available on the release date so both the collectors and standard edition will be able to start playing from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Square Enix is introducing a “fatigue” system to upcoming MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV which will apparently see players hit with crippling penalties if they play more than an hour a day, with those daring to play more than 4 hours having their XP reduced to 0, making this the most retarded move an mmo could make.

Square Enix acknowledge the existence of the system in an interview and in previous comments, but are strangely reticent about providing specifics:
    Tell us about the “fatigue” and “dormancy” systems please?.
    We wanted to introduce a system to reward players who don’t have a lot of time to play. Maybe it looks as though we are placing long playing users at a disadvantage, but the idea is really to let play for short periods be viable.

Won’t that cause some concern amongst players who play for longer?
    We want these players to try different classes. If you change class the fatigue doesn’t affect you, so you could try non-combat classes as well. You actually have more play choices now as you can make more characters.

Such systems are not unique, but Square Enix appears to have taken the system to an extreme likely to either completely eliminate its “hardcore” player strata – to say nothing of its high-handedness in dictating to players that they can only play an hour day.

“Some concern” may be a colossal understatement if early reports of just how draconian the limits are turn out to be correct:
    Fatigue goes up to about 50% in 2 hours, and it takes 2 days to go down! So, if you play 4 hours you have to stop playing completely for 2 days!

WHAT!?
    Only 1 hour a day!
    What’s really amazing is that you have to pay a monthly subscription for this…
    They can’t get away with this on a subscription game. They’ll be sued!
    So you get bonuses for staying logged out – the servers are going to be nice and quiet, aren’t they!

More on the “dormancy” system:
    Recovery takes time.
    2 hours of combat or 1 hour of craft will induce “dormancy.”
    The dormancy is actually shared over different characters.
    It will decrease gains to 0% in the end.
    It seems to be proportional to the amount of XP you earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

RIP FF14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

That is crazy!

Other MMOs are trying to keep people playing and they are penalising people for playing.

There's no way this will go into the game. Seriously, no chance. No one in their right mind would pay a monthly sub to play the game 1 hour a day. What i dont get is how they can be stupid enough to think that this is a good idea?

The interview was with famitsu who cannot ever say a bad word against square, when the rest of the media gets hold of this and the internet starts talking i don't think it will stay in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Interestingly, WoW actually has precisely the same thing, they're just smarter about hiding it.

Originally in the WoW beta, after a certain length of time you'd only gain 50% exp. Soon enough they discovered that players who played a lot felt like they were being punished for it, so to essentially 'fool' the playerbase they doubled the amount of experience needed to level and gave rest exp. if you haven't played for a while instead.

It still took the exact same amount of time to level, but the players who play a lot didn't feel 'punished' and those who didn't play much felt 'rewarded'.

• Advertisement

Well the idea or notion that you can only play at full capacity for just 1 hour a day is wrong. The system as being described here is very unappealing to me, but I dont believe its going to be this penalising come launch.

As it stands, you can switch class (easily, by changing your weapon), which gets you around the fatigue system. Given the more classes you play, the more abilities you learn - which you can incorporate into other classes, so its something you will want to do anyway.

Basically, if you want to sink 12 hours a day into this game, you can. While being productive and developing your character. What I understand you cant do is play 1 class continuously, which I dont like the sounds of. Perhaps they are trying to limit the pace at which you can advance so they can add later content?

Either way, if this is something that really did cripple how you play, people would get pissed off and it would be removed/adjusted. I honestly doubt its going to be as bad as it is described here. I also remember peoples concern about WoW's exp system at beta and how Blizzard flipped things, so it was actually much the same but gave the impression of a new reward system - Id expect much the same here (at least they certainly should!).

Blowfish wrote: »
    Interestingly, WoW actually has precisely the same thing, they're just smarter about hiding it.

Originally in the WoW beta, after a certain length of time you'd only gain 50% exp. Soon enough they discovered that players who played a lot felt like they were being punished for it, so to essentially 'fool' the playerbase they doubled the amount of experience needed to level and gave rest exp. if you haven't played for a while instead.

It still took the exact same amount of time to level, but the players who play a lot didn't feel 'punished' and those who didn't play much felt 'rewarded'.

Yeah but thats smart.

When i saw rested exp, i feel bliz were giving me a hand up to help me catch up with my friends who had more online time then me. This would feel like my mother pulling out the dial-up after hour when I was 13.

Apparently it's 8 hours a week now, before you get reductions on gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

And yet people can still go from 1-80 in a week, they may have slowed it down, but i still regard it as fast. In comparsion to say Ever Quest 2, which i spent about a year on and never actually hit max level. Heck i was like 12 levels away from max.

They should put a similar penalty on the leveling with FF14 as wow did, but to completely hault it is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

nix wrote: »
    And yet people can still go from 1-80 in a week, they may have slowed it down, but i still regard it as fast.
    That's because they've decreased the time it takes several times in the past 5 years. Originally it did take a lot longer to level.

That's because they've decreased the time it takes several times in the past 5 years. Originally it did take a lot longer to level.

oh jaysus vanilla wow, where half your guild quit before lv40. There was some rough leveling experiences then and I did it after it was slightly improved.

I remember lvl54-60 was pretty bad back in original Warcraft. Especially as a Paladin, pre-buff, where they didnt get any better after lvl45.

Lol, lvling in WoW is just funny now, last time I lvl'd a char was earlier this year and I remember the biggest concern was what order to hand in my quests, as they were turning grey at an alarming rate!

Back on topic, after first learning of this system I was worried to a degree, altho I didnt think it would be nearly as bad as was being described here and indeed its not. Ive a headache from spending a little too much time today bouncing around the web reading posts about this system, but as best I understand it now is - you can play any given class for 8 hours at normal (100%) exp gain, after that over the course of the following 7 hours will see that dwindle to 0% you are therefore encouraged to play another class once your initial 8 hours (which btw, seems to be 8 hours of exp gain based on what the devs believe the average gamer would achieve :S) is used. When you change class your on a new timer (@100% exp). Also time spent on other classes gives your other timers a chance to cool down. Regardless of how you spend your time, the slate is wiped clean on a weekly basis...

Theres a little more, but thats the jist of it anyway. The devs have already said it will be made "less harsh" for OB, plus with the amount of QQing going around it'll prob see a further adjustment for launch. Its still not 100% clear to me, I guess ill be experiencing it soon enough and can decide. The only part thats a sticking point now is that the physical lvl does seem to be capped regardless on a weekly basis. :confused: /waitsforclarity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kurosaki_

Does anyone know where you can pre-order the limited edition in Cork? Both Gamestop and Game don't have the "codes" yet in their system so they aren't taking pre-orders, but there's less than a month left for the release. :/

• Advertisement

Im sure they will get the codes in time to order it, just tell whichever place you would rather order it with that your interested and ask them when they will have the codes.

I tried to preorder with Game last month and they didnt have the codes either. I did book my copy last week with them tho.

Advertisement