Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A wavelength the same size as a mosquito body.

Options
  • 12-09-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

A 300'000 hertz sound would have a wavelength of the same size of a mosquito body.
    I wonder what would it happen to the mosquito by emitting such a soundwave at 100 or 1000 W. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

jumpjack wrote: »
    A 300'000 hertz sound would have a wavelength of the same size of a mosquito body.
    I wonder what would it happen to the mosquito by emitting such a soundwave at 100 or 1000 W. :)

300,000 Hertz is equal to about 1000 meters. That's one big mother****er of a mozzie. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

300,000 (300 Kilohertz) is in the long waves radio spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    300,000 (300 Kilohertz) is in the long waves radio spectrum.
    Yes, but jumpjack referred to a (theoretical) 300 kHz sound wave. I'm not sure why, but (s)he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

djpbarry wrote: »
    Yes, but jumpjack referred to a (theoretical) 300 kHz sound wave. I'm not sure why, but (s)he did.
    I can't kill mosquitos by light, I need a mechanical effect; and a 1000W sound "focused" into a 1 mm wave could have intersting effects, I guess. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Moved the discussion from the facts thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sound is 340 meters per second ish (depending on termperature / pressure etc.)

call it 300m , a sound of 300Hz would have a wavelength of 1m
    so 300,000 would be 1 mm

thing is those little blood suckers are bigger than 1mm :mad:

BTW someone was working on computer controlled lasers to zap them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

BTW someone was working on computer controlled lasers to zap them
    Yeah, there was a cool article on it in Spectrum not too long ago:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/gadgets/backyard-star-wars

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

jumpjack wrote: »
    I can't kill mosquitos by light

Er, yes you can.

http://www.ted.com/talks/nathan_myhrvold_could_this_laser_zap_malaria.html

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

thing is those little blood suckers are bigger than 1mm :mad:
    yes, but the minor/weakest size is 1 mm ;-)

Advertisement