Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Fantasy Football 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Division 5 & 6 are now made up of people who would have been relegated if there was another division and the rest are all newcomers (as will anyone else who joins).
    What separates the newbies from division to division is basically when they posted on this thread, rewarding people who post quicker rather than any fantasy football skill.
    If this was the intention fair enough but didn't see it anywhere in the charter so thought I might propose an alternative.

However, if the division setup is meant to be based on merit then I would have a suggestion:
    -Divide Divisions 5, 6 & 7 into two or three equal numbered leagues (Division 5A, 5B, 5C)
    -At end of the season the divisions 5/6/7 for 2013 would be decided based on a ranking of all teams across the divisions

For example
    If we had 42 teams in Div 5/6/7 then split into 3 leagues of 14
    Teams would be ranked as follows (any tiebreakers based on regular season record, then total points)
    -3 League Winners
    -3 League Runner-ups
    -6 League Semi-finalists
    -6 League playoff losers
    -24 non-playoff teams

For 2013, the 42 teams would be split as follows:
    1-4: Promoted to Div 4
    5-16: Div 5
    17-32: Div 6
    33-42: Div 7

This would give all new people an equal footing entering the season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Division 5 & 6 are now made up of people who would have been relegated if there was another division and the rest are all newcomers (as will anyone else who joins).
    What separates the newbies from division to division is basically when they posted on this thread, rewarding people who post quicker rather than any fantasy football skill.
    If this was the intention fair enough but didn't see it anywhere in the charter so thought I might propose an alternative.

However, if the division setup is meant to be based on merit then I would have a suggestion:
    -Divide Divisions 5, 6 & 7 into two or three equal numbered leagues (Division 5A, 5B, 5C)
    -At end of the season the divisions 5/6/7 for 2013 would be decided based on a ranking of all teams across the divisions

For example
    If we had 42 teams in Div 5/6/7 then split into 3 leagues of 14
    Teams would be ranked as follows (any tiebreakers based on regular season record, then total points)
    -3 League Winners
    -3 League Runner-ups
    -6 League Semi-finalists
    -6 League playoff losers
    -24 non-playoff teams

For 2013, the 42 teams would be split as follows:
    1-4: Promoted to Div 4
    5-16: Div 5
    17-32: Div 6
    33-42: Div 7

This would give all new people an equal footing entering the season

Its not really workable though. Its unfortunate that new players are promoted because of when they posted but it's the only way thats feasible. Your idea is nice but every year your going to have more new players and more people dropping out or failing to declare on time.

Its not really workable though. Its unfortunate that new players are promoted because of when they posted but it's the only way thats feasible. Your idea is nice but every year your going to have more new players and more people dropping out or failing to declare on time.

How is it not workable?
    Thought I gave a pretty good description of how it could work. All it takes is playing out the leagues and a very quick spreadsheet at the end of the season.
    If there's any issues with it would be happy to hear them to see if could be ironed out, that is if people thought it would be a good idea?

EDIT: If it's a case of extra work being done, would be happy to track it at end of the season, pretty straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Not really complaining as such but it's annoying that after doing my best to secure promotion last year another 6 from my division (5) have been promoted as well.

It's not so bad in the top divisions but further down it gets a bit ridiculous. Kinda takes the gloss off winning a league or finishing in the top 4, especially if someone who was fighting for survival gets promoted.

I know it's in the rules and it's the fault of the people who didn't sign up, I just find it annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I think it's a great idea Rob

Will be a bit of extra work but ye accountants just adore the spreadsheets ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Div 4: Two people removed, five people promoted to Div 3 and these are replaced by EveAlex, Matthew8, Slowharry, El_Duderino, Molly, Benimar and Padraig_f.

Woohoo, promotion! :)

Way too complicated for something that's not really a problem IMO. It also creates anomalies like: you could get relegated from division 4, then if you finished in the bottom of division 5, you'd drop two divisions to div 7.

If you want to remove bias towards early sign-ups, just have a random draw to assign them divisions, but I don't see a real harm in rewarding early sign-ups.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Way too complicated for something that's not really a problem IMO. It also creates anomalies like: you could get relegated from division 4, then if you finished in the bottom of division 5, you'd drop two divisions to div 7.
    Think you may have misunderstood the concept then. This is only to determine next years divisions for the newbies. This year's div 5A/5B/5C would turn into Div 5/6/7 based on how well they do.
    No way you'd drop more than 1 division for relegation
    If you want to remove bias towards early sign-ups, just have a random draw to assign them divisions, but I don't see a real harm in rewarding early sign-ups.
    Idea is to base this on skill rather than timing/luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Not really complaining as such but it's annoying that after doing my best to secure promotion last year another 6 from my division (5) have been promoted as well.

It's not so bad in the top divisions but further down it gets a bit ridiculous. Kinda takes the gloss off winning a league or finishing in the top 4, especially if someone who was fighting for survival gets promoted.

I know it's in the rules and it's the fault of the people who didn't sign up, I just find it annoying.

exact same feeling for me - got promoted from 4 to 3 but feels kinda crap as I didn't fully earn it. Not going to complain as its still my first promotion on the way to winning the Premier League in the next few years :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Think you may have misunderstood the concept then. This is only to determine next years divisions for the newbies. This year's div 5A/5B/5C would turn into Div 5/6/7 based on how well they do.
    No way you'd drop more than 1 division for relegation
    I'm thinking of next year. You can't drop two divisions this year because div 5 now happens to have no-one who was relegated from div 4 or finished mid-table in div 5. But it could next year.

e.g. I just got promoted to div 4 because people above me dropped out. If less people dropped out, I'd still be in div 5, and could drop two divisions this year under your system.

I'm thinking of next year. You can't drop two divisions this year because div 5 now happens to have no-one who was relegated from div 4 or finished mid-table in div 5. But it could next year.

e.g. I just got promoted to div 4 because people above me dropped out. If less people dropped out, I'd still be in div 5, and could drop two divisions this year under your system.

Like you say, not an issue this year (which is what my idea is based around).
    If you want to avoid this 'problem' than simply say no-one from last year can be relegated below a certain division.

Anyway, just putting this out there as an idea to make things fairer for new people joining. If the members think it's worthwhile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Honestly BBR I like your idea but this Boards league is only for a bit of fun. When we first started it started off small but now it has grown beyond our expectations. As its a boards league the only fair way to do divisions and who goes where is to go on when they signed up and being a regular on Boards.

Every year so many drop out or dont come back its now starting to affect the higher divisions. There is never a fair way of running things with so many random people and posters.

As I said I like your idea but it does make things complicated and you will always run into the whats ifs no matter what version you play. Like what if 3 teams get promoted in your version on merit and then fail to turn up next season? The same thing happens again the next in line moves up.

Honestly as much as I would like to see these league run on merit myself personally I cant see it happening as it is based on being a poster on boards and the only thing that separates us as posters is our length of time on the board.

I find right now this is the fairest way to do it and although some feel put out by being promoted to a league they say they haven't earned a spot in there isn't ever going to be a fairer way of moving people up and down. And to be fair one has no idea of the competition level of those joining the league because lets face it new to boards or not we don't know the persons fantasy skill level.

On another note at some point if members stick around more divisions will become slightly more secure like the top 3 right now. But as more people join the bottom few divisions will always be random because of drop outs and inactive members. But every year as divisions are added another solid base of players will be added to more sturdier groups. That is how the top 3 were formed. Rocky start and now the majority have stuck around. Remember this is always about giving a fair shot to those who are boards member and that should be the key element here. Those who stay active will eventually get rewarded when re-shuffles are forced.

Well I was only suggesting this for new people, wouldn't affect anyone else and did't think it would have been much (if any) hassle. Figured it was in the spirit these leagues were played in as with the meritocracy of promotion/relegation.

But if people don't think the idea is a go-er for their reasons mentioned above, then fair enough. In that case, think it's something that should be put in the charter to make it clear.

Also, there should probably be a deadline date for people to sign up to their league on NFL.com to ensure the leagues are full

Well I was only suggesting this for new people, wouldn't affect anyone else and did't think it would have been much (if any) hassle. Figured it was in the spirit these leagues were played in as with the meritocracy of promotion/relegation.

But if people don't think the idea is a go-er for their reasons mentioned above, then fair enough. In that case, think it's something that should be put in the charter to make it clear.

Also, there should probably be a deadline date for people to sign up to their league on NFL.com to ensure the leagues are full

Im not sure I understand what you want you think should be written in the charter with regards the make up of the divisions and newbies. I agree the perfect world would have skill sets defining leagues but as I said above we can't judge whether someone with 1 post or 1000 posts is better at fantasy.

It also makes sense to fill leagues based on who shows interest next. The way I look at it as harsh as it sounds its tough sh1t if a weathered veteran of Fantasy is stuck in Division 6 with new guys because he signed into Boards late and only showed interest now. If we try accomodate everyone we will always p1ss someone off. As it stands I honestly think its the only fair way to do things.

As a side note if I went that bad and dropped 5 or 6 divisions I would make sure to finish in the top 4 and get promoted simple as. If I know the competition is sporadic I wouldn't complain as I know my knowledge will get me promoted over weaker players. Also knowing people drop out finishing higher in a group gives me a good chance of getting up also.

Also guys the discussion thread for the Fantasy charter is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056426293&page=7

If you have ideas going forward throw them in there and let them get discussed that way they dont get lost in the main thread at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Hi people's!

Is it too late to sign up?

Lots of room in Division 7 for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Any word on the rejigging of leagues with the deadline passed?

boardsffconfirmed201231.jpg

Ok folks the deadline has passed and 7 have failed to confirm (one of those a real surprise). That means Divisions 2-6 have to be rejigged a bit. The final list is above

Div 2: Two people removed and these are replaced by Onecoolcookie and Blured.

Div 3: Three people removed, two people promoted to Div 2 and these are replaced by McG, Fatgav, Manafana, Barbarians and Johnmcdnl.

Div 4: Two people removed, five people promoted to Div 3 and these are replaced by EveAlex, Matthew8, Slowharry, El_Duderino, Molly, Benimar and Padraig_f.

Div 5: Seven people promoted to Div 4 and these are replaced by Barney92, Prefab Sprouter, Danmur, Padji1, Mayordenis, Wawaman and HigginsJ.

Div 6: Seven people promoted to Div 5 and these are replaced by Chucky the tree, Davetherave, gufc21, Jersey Joe, Robluvshandegg, Realalemadrid and Boccy23.

Div 7: Before Eli Manning declares himself champion of this division there is plenty of time for any new players to add themselves to this division before the season starts. If any of the removed players want to get back in they can also join division 7

GMs can you all contact the new guys and get them out of their current league and into their new league.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

A new G.M. is needed for Division 4 as my brief but glorious spell as G.M. comes to an end and I'm being promoted to Division 3 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Lots of room in Division 7 for you
    Very good!!
    Should probably change the name to Peyton manning by the looks of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

Is there a forum that is related to NFL players to be selected in the fantasy draft of some sort? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Is there a forum that is related to NFL players to be selected in the fantasy draft of some sort? :o

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Am I correct in assuming you are looking for help in getting info on players to draft? There's loads of articles on NFL.com fantasy section to give you hints and tips.

Walter Football looks very good as well.

Must actually start making up a cheat sheet soon enough actually - went with the flow last year and eneded up not getting a running back til round 3 which was around pick 45 for me. Ended up with ****ing useless gob****e Knowshon Moreno as my number 1 RB for half the seson with LaDainian Tomlinson as my number 2. Was my first ever time in a 16 team draft and hadn't done any mock drafts so didn't realise how fast the top players disappear of the board.

How I didn't relegated with that pair at RB was a minor miracle. Anyways this year I'm going to be properly prepared and know what I'm doing :p

ESPN Fantasy Focus Football
    It's good, Ravitz and Berry bounce off each other and have a good partnership.
    They bring in someone else for injury news

Footballguys The Audible
    Cecil Lammy has one of those personalities that you either like or dislike him.
    They put out several hours of content every week

Both of them are worth a listen
    I read very little but I listen to podcasts most every day

I've nothing written down but I've three realistic picks for the first 3 rounds in my head,
    16 man league so you have to be realistic
    Will have a plan ready for draft day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Will have a plan ready for draft day :)

24327661.jpg

Just found this site here - it only goes as far as 14 teams which is a pity but still very interesting to see..

Draft Stock Ratings

shows where players are getting picked up on average in mock drafts...

another one here from the same site showing what's the probability that a player will be left on the board at a certain pick

Probability Calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

CoachTO wrote: »
    GMs can you all contact the new guys and get them out of their current league and into their new league.

aw man.....I thought I had div 5 all sorted.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

whoever is div 4 GM, I have all the email addresses for those people that came from divison 5, just pm me.

Advertisement