Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support for those quitting smoking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Just want to post to people who are trying to give up.

If you have given up for a period and have a smoke dont use this as justification to not give up! Dont't say "Ah well I've had one now, fck it I'll start again." Don't let this regression block the ultimate goal to give up.

Its difficult and I'ld never criticize anybody for failing but I think the most important thing for me was I wanted to quit. You simply have to, have to, have to want to whole heartedly! Find something in your life to change your philosophy to help you come to giving up. Your health, wealth, relationships with people etc...

I'm off smoking now 9months or so and I struggled between wanting, needing and habitual. I removed the wanting, then the habitual and the wanting left itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FATTARSE

Failed Paddy's Day test but again off them since Sunday so thats 10 cigs in 2 and a half weeks. Not sure if I will ever be able to quit completely but I feel much better at this level than I did smoking every day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Rowanvella199

Alan carr! nuff said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sfhoping234

This is my millionth attempt to give up smoking!!! This is my 2nd day off them and having really bad cravings. Still determined to do it though!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jaygile

Am new to boards and this thread was on the homepage.
    I have been thinking of giving up a lot this week, so I will take this as a sign and try starting tonight.

These posts look like great support. How good do those who have stayed off feel now, weeks and months later? That's what i'd like to hear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Bridget75

Aw defo give them up, I am 4 months and 1 week off them now, its so worth it, not saying its easy, i still get cravings, i dont think they ever go away they just ease with time. You will notice having more money in your pocket, your hangovers are not as bad (if you drink), and you dont stink of fags!

This board is great for letting off steam, so when ever yez feel week, just come on here for a chat!:D

Quit last night.

Head pounding now.

Addiction sucks balls!

thank you for the warm welcome Briget!
    I had 1 yesterday, and have had 2 today. I did better yesterday as it is early and I have already had 2. Bit worried as I am going out tonight and there will be drinking. Tempted to use it as an excuse to not try for the night but I know I will feel crap after smoking loads.

I am so sick of smelling and tasting like cigarettes!

Quit last night.

Head pounding now.

Addiction sucks balls!

Power to ya brother!

Quit last night.

Head pounding now.

Addiction sucks balls!

Ok. Been a week. Cold turkey. Looking back, it hasn't been that difficult. I've found licorice root to be my saving grace, and NTB's when the cravings got really bad.

Anyway, was out last night in a smoking area, didn't smoke. Shots and nightclub after, had a NTB there, no cigarettes, and worked the door tonight at a comedy club, out with all the smokers, wasn't even tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Alan Carr worked for me. I stopped over ten years ago and knew that I would never smoke again. His great insight in my view is that he doesn't concentrate on the downside of smoking which we all know about already. He focuses on the alleged benefits of smoking and shows you how much of a crock they really are.

Smoking is such an illogical proposition that you need a large dose of self-deception (fostered by marketing) to persist with it. Once the deception is exposed it's like understanding the three card trick. You can never fall for it again.

God rest him, he did me a huge favour in explaining the truth about smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Hi Henry and well done you. I envy your incredible will power. I am so so stupid and must have zilch willpower, as I cannot seem to get past 7 hrs, unless sleeping without getting stressed, highly agitated and even get to the point of crying with frustration, which is pathetic is it not? My husband does not smoke and kindly tolerates my smoking out of doors more than he does my withdrawl symptoms! The poor guy says he cannot bear to see me 'suffer' as he puts it and simply goes and gets me a packet. The shame, regret and annoyance with myself that I feel after that first one makes me seriously question if I am actually seeing this addiction for what it really is. We begin to believe that like all addictions that it is stronger than we are and that kind of mind set is a barrier I guess. I smoke 5-8 each day and cannot understand why I am so nervous without them, when others, like yourself are able to cope so well. I guess it varies from person to person. Any further advice would be hugely appreciated. You are doing so well and I congratulate you. Where do you buy the liquorice root you spoke of please? Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dawvee0011

My wife and I have been cigarette free for more than a year. We quit by using electronic cigarettes. In fact, we still use them. We just took a trip to Hawaii and were able to use them at the airport and on the plane. For many people, the ecig systems work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Alan Carr and willpower for me, a whole week today :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 elites

Bollywood star Hrithik Roshan was hooked to smoking not so long ago.

But when he chanced upon Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking", he got free from his habit, and is now helping others too to kick the butt.

Hrithik first ordered the book, which was being endorsed by Hollywood celebrities like Anthony Hopkins and Ashton Kutcher, for himself. When the book arrived, he spent time alone and finished the book in a day.

Seven days later, he turned into a non-smoker, according to a source close to the 37-year-old.

The actor has now bought 40 copies of the book to distribute amongst family, friends and needy strangers too. From the film industry, Sanjay Dutt and Bobby Deol have already been given a copy each, said the source.

Why don't you try this at home.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

On my 3rd day off them now. The last two days have felt like a hangover with cravings included. Better today but coughing a lot and feeling indigestion in throat? I'm smoking about 12 years with one 6 month gap about 8 years ago (Very traumatic experience put me back on them). I had read Allen Carr 8 years ago which helped me quit and I'm dipping in and out of it again now. Remembering lots of great advice although parts of it come across as very condescending which is why I think he says you should read it before you quit so as not to have your judgment clouded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

Hi all, newbie here. I'm off the cigarettes two weeks today and haven't looked back since. The first few days were horrible. Serious cravings and horrible headaches. It was all worth it though, I was going through a pack of 20 a day, so having that extra few quid is great, especially as I'm unemployed. Also, the feeling of accomplishment you get when you know you gave them up is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 angeleyes44

i tried giving up with patches over the years ,i never stayed off them.i did it cold turkey this time off them 110 days .so proud to achive this.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

First time poster in here but will throw this in as I've finally gotten to the stage where I can say i've given them up.
    I started a system where I banned myself from smoking in front of certain people or in certain places. i started with really easy stuff like never smoking at my Ma's house. (she hates them and I'm not there often so that was handy) Then it was - never before 9am kinda stuff.

It took absolutely ages until it increased up to not smoking in work. This was nearly impossible but I was getting there, eventually i changed jobs to a place where I knew nobody and started a new life there where I was a non-smoker. That was the last big step really and over 2 years going strong. An odd relapse excepted along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

14 months smoke free, cold turkey. Suck up the pain and after the first few weeks all good. Tried and failed loads so don't be afraid to give it a go.
    Love being smoke free esp when I think if them. I used smoke 20/30 a day but now think about them only once or twice a month. Best thing I ever did really......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Day 15, cold turkey, internet sites then followed by Allen Carr, actually far easier than I imagined it would be or it has ever been before. I think once you educate yourself and the veil is lifted it becomes much easier. Have to say I'm feeling better than I ever remember feeling in a long time, masses of energy, the return of dreams has been pleasant too!
    If you're thinking of quitting, there are a lot of resources and free pdf's on the web which you can be read at work! Quote below is from one and struck a cord with me, assume it's OK to quote, it's from a free ebook called "Never Take Another Puff" by Joel Spitzer.

"
    Life had become a boring routine. She had just been going

through the motions of maintaining a normal semblance of existence.

Waking up, having a cigarette. Washing up and brushing her teeth,

having a cigarette. Eating breakfast, having a cigarette. Doing some

light cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, and having a cigarette. Watching

a little television while having a cigarette. Preparing a sandwich

for lunch, having a cigarette. Taking a short nap, waking up for a

cigarette. Reading the newspaper, having a cigarette. Making a list

of needed groceries, having a cigarette. Getting ready to do some

light shopping, having a cigarette. Driving to the local market,

having a cigarette. About to enter the store, but stopping to have a

cigarette. Checking out at the cash register, leaving the store and

having a cigarette. Going home and starting to prepare dinner, having

a cigarette. Eating dinner, having a cigarette. Clearing the table and

washing the dishes, having a cigarette. Watching a little television,

having a couple of cigarettes. Washing up, brushing her teeth and

getting dressed for bed, having a cigarette. Getting into bed, having
    a cigarette. Going to sleep.
    Ever since the loss of her husband many years ago, nothing in

her normal daily existence seemed to give her life any meaning or
    any real happiness. Weeks would go by with her barely cracking a
    smile. Almost nothing seemed to bring her joy anymore. But this
    day was starting differently. After breakfast her phone rang. She
    ran for a cigarette. On the fourth ring she made it to the phone and

picked up the receiver. It was her daughter. She lived only an hour
    away, but because of her career, her husband’s schedule and the kid’s
    school, soccer, piano, ballet lessons, etc., they only were able to visitoccasionally. Well, to her pleasant surprise, she found out that they

were coming on Saturday to spend the day.
    For the first time in weeks she seemed truly happy. As soon as
    she hung up the phone she grabbed for a cigarette. She had to start

planning and preparing to see the kids. She called her beauty shop

to make an afternoon appointment. When she hung up the phone

she took a cigarette. She got dressed and ready to go shopping, and
    right before leaving, she took a cigarette. In the car driving to the
    store she hurriedly smoked two cigarettes for she knew she could not

smoke while in the store. She hurriedly went up and down the aisles,
    with a certain bounce in her step for she was still so excited about the

visit. When she left the store she hurried to her car and lit a cigarette.

She went home, put away the groceries, prepared and ate a quick
    bite, smoked a cigarette and hurriedly left the house to be on time for

her beauty shop appointment. While she was there she smoked and
    conversed with the other patrons, glowing as she told of her exciting
    weekend news.

When she got home, she smoked a cigarette, and starting preparing

a turkey for the big Saturday night meal. She smoked and ate, smoked
    and cooked and smoked and prepared for bed. One last cigarette and

she slowly dozed off, happy and excited about the joy of the upcoming

day.
    When she woke up she excitedly grabbed for her first cigarette.
    She got up and cleaned and brushed her teeth, and took another

cigarette. She ate breakfast and smoked again. She started preparing
    her feast and smoked numerous cigarettes. Even though she was not
    conscious of the fact, she was smoking more than normal. Through

years of conditioning she had learned that since she couldn’t smoke
    when around the grandchildren she had better have plenty of nicotine

in her system by the time they arrived. A little last minute cleaning,
    and cooking and smoking. She was ready.

The door bell rings. She hurries to the door and opens it up. There
    is her family. Everyone is excited. She goes to kiss the youngest,

who says “Oh grandma, you smell like an ashtray!” She was used

to these comments, she loved him anyway. After 15 minutes of

talking with all the kids and her daughter and son-in-law, she and her
    daughter go to the kitchen to work on the dinner. After a couple of

hours she starts to feel the twinge for a cigarette. But she knows she
    can’t smoke. The kids are running through the house vigorously. As
    the hours pass, her patience becomes strained. Too much noise she

thinks to herself, boy, does she wish she could smoke a cigarette. She

starts to complain of a minor headache. They decide they better eat

early, grandma is seeming a little tired and a little hassled. They sit
    down to eat. The food is good and everyone is enjoying.

But grandma seems to be feeling worse and worse. Four hours have
    passed and still no cigarette. After dinner they all decide grandma
    needs some rest and mutually everyone agrees they will leave early.

She kisses them all good-bye and rushes them out. As the door closes
    she hurries to her pack and smokes three cigarettes in a row. She
    finally starts to feel better. She now sits down in a quiet empty room

thinking how lonely she feels and how sad that they had to leave so
    soon. But at least she has her cigarettes. But it had been a long day.

She washes up, brushes her teeth, gets dressed for bed, and has one

last cigarette.

Tomorrow would be another routine day."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am on my first full day today, i must admit i have tried several times over the yrs, tried every thing on the market, nothing worked, i bought the e-cig, and am pleasantly surprised, but it is early hours yet, i cannot say never, but i do hope to make it with the help of my little buddy e-ciggy

That's great to hear and I wish you every success, but can you pls tell me where one can buy this e- cig you spoke of.

Thanks a lot.

havetoquit wrote: »
    That's great to hear and I wish you every success, but can you pls tell me where one can buy this e- cig you spoke of.

Thanks a lot.
    i get them at my local supervalue, there are lots of ordinary shops selling them, i was at ballinasloe fair at weekend and they were selling the rechargable pack with extra tips along with the recharger for fifteen euro, but the disposable ones selling in supermarkets sells at under seven euro, the disposable one is equal to buying forty real ciggies, i am pleasantly surprised

the only difference you have to do, is take a long slow drag on the ciggie, it heats while you are doing it and it feels like the real thing, and also there is a smoke like steam from it, you can get them in menthol and tobacco flavour, i used mentol cigarettes so i buy the menthol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

havetoquit wrote: »

Thanks a lot.

Everything you need to know :)

My decision to buy an e-cigarette really came down to this. If I am happy to smoke a cigarette with tar, tobacco and a possible 4000+ harmful substances in it then I am damn well happy to smoke an e-cigarette which contains a substance (PG - Propylene Glycol) found in many food products, an amount of nicotine I control plus a small possiblity of TSNAs which well be very small levels if any.
    that quote says it all for me,
    you still have your nicotine,
    you dont need a lighter in your pocket,
    no need to be looking for a place for ashes,
    no need to be looking for a place for the butt of ciggies in these new cars,
    no smell off my breath,
    no need for a box of cigarettes, this thing is the size of a biro in your pocket.
    can use it anywhere, no need to be going outside doors of places in winter getting your butt frozen off while having a smoke,
    cheaper on the pocket,

and my family scream at me when i smoke in the house while they are present, one said she will blame me if she get sick due to this secondary smoke, so i will have the comfort of being able to sit near her with my new e-ciggie

Thank you both very much for all that info...really appreciated. Am in Germany right now, but will get on to the E-ciggies when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 orlamcnevin

Day two off cigarettes. Had a really stressful morning and that made it tough to resist but i did it and feeling positive again now!

I've been taking Champix and I'd really recommend them. If you are happy to put up with a few minor side-effects for a smoke-free life that is.

Thanks to everyone who posts on here. I find it great if I'm feeling the strain to pop on to this forum and soak up a bit of motivation!

Good luck to all

Well done to you. Let nothing or nobody deter you. Oh, the joy of living in a smokeless world where clothing, hair and skin smell beautiful. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

what is champix,
    i am on my third day,
    yesterday i bought another disposable electronic ciggie, and the fcking thing broke down after two hours, battery went flat,
    that is the worst thing, i need a reliable backup to get through this, but i am finding the e ciggie brilliant,
    i bought a rechargable one at my local supermarket today and hope not to be let down at this curical time.

Advertisement