Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dump a small amount of rubbish in Limerick (legally!)

• 10-06-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I have a small amount of rubbish from a building job in county Limerick, anyone know where i could dump it legally.

I've taken stuff to Mr Binman before but found them a bit expansive. I think there used to be a self service machine out the back of Co-Op superstores in Raheen that would charge by the bag but it seems to be gone. Is there another one in Limerick or a similar service I could use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

There is one of those self service bins at the back of the texaco petrol station across the road from the roxboro garda station. You get a docket from the shop and it will take about 1 and ½ black bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

There is one of those self service bins at the back of the texaco petrol station across the road from the roxboro garda station. You get a docket from the shop and it will take about 1 and ½ black bags.

I use this every 2 months. I get almost an entire wheelie bin of rubbish (in smaller bags) into it for 6 euro! That's 36 euro a year on my waste. Beat that Mr. Binman!!!

Never heard of these self service rubbish disposal things. Great idea! Are they all in the city or do ye know of any out the west limerick direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Rubbish from a building job???? is that stuff like concrete blocks etc rather than domestic rubbish? If so, your best bet is the recycle plant in Mungret. they have a container for inearth rubble from building sites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Fair play OP.

shaaane wrote: »
    Never heard of these self service rubbish disposal things. Great idea! Are they all in the city or do ye know of any out the west limerick direction?

http://www.bigbin.ie/

Think the locations are on the website...

LB6 wrote: »
    Rubbish from a building job???? is that stuff like concrete blocks etc rather than domestic rubbish? If so, your best bet is the recycle plant in Mungret. they have a container for inearth rubble from building sites.

Agreed OP! Fiver a car. List of what's accepted on their website! Didn't think of Mungret Recycling initislly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

shaaane wrote: »

None in Co. Limerick....the county council forced them to remove them from any county locations on the basis that they were not proper waste disposal facilities (despite the fact that they are waste collection points and the waste is then taken away and disposed of elsewhere :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I use a place out near Foynes/Shanagolden for a car or trailer load

Gortadroma Landfill Site

http://www.lcc.ie/Environment/Environmental_Awareness/Gortadroma+Landfill+Site.htm

Limerick County Council's landfill is at Gortadroma, Ballyhahill, County Limerick, (approximately 3 miles from the village of Shanagolden).

Telephone Number - 069 82 33 9

Opening hours are 8.00am to 3.30pm including lunch time (Monday to Friday).

Waste Disposal: Minimum Charge = €14.76 per car, all other vehicles = Pay by Weight, €80 per tonne + €65 landfill levy plus VAT i.e. €164.57.

The following item(s) may be recycled at the landfill:

Glass, drink/food cans, cardboard/newspaper, textiles, tetra paks, metal, plastic bottles.

Charges: €5.68 per car, €13.62 per car & trailer/light van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Hooked wrote: »
    I use this every 2 months. I get almost an entire wheelie bin of rubbish (in smaller bags) into it for 6 euro! That's 36 euro a year on my waste. Beat that Mr. Binman!!!

What do you do with the stuff you put in the white recycling bags?

leakyboots wrote: »
    What do you do with the stuff you put in the white recycling bags?

My dad gives me some extra recycling bags from Mr Binman and I leave them at his place for collection. I live alone, so Ive not got much. Though this is being phased out with a blue bin - so I guess I'll have to start heading to mungret with my plastic, paper and old tin cans. Or sneak them into the recycling at work/parents place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Firstly, thanks for all the help everyone, should be well sorted with this. Any of the non-recyclables paint cans, silicone cartridges etc can go to big bin. The rest to Mungret.

Secondly,
    mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    None in Co. Limerick....the county council forced them to remove them from any county locations on the basis that they were not proper waste disposal facilities (despite the fact that they are waste collection points and the waste is then taken away and disposed of elsewhere :rolleyes:).

Do you mean that Limerick County Council outlawed a legal, convenient and affordable means to dispose of rubbish. FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

That's right. I can't remember the exact details but I think it was to do with separation of waste (ie. recyclables, etc.).
    Lots of other City and County Councils around the Country seem to have no problem with this company.
    A more cynical person than I might suggest that perhaps one of the bigger waste collection companies put pressure on a hypothetical buddy in the Council.....but I'm not that cynical ;).

ps. It will be interesting to see what happens now that both Councils have been amalgamated.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cosycat

Where can I legally get rid of mdf. Treated timber etc. None of the places I looked up will take treated timber or MDF.. 🤔

In a fire/stove! LOL

But seriously. cut it, bag it and up to Fitzgerald waste. I think thry charge 23 euro per 100KG of "builders waste".

Weighed going in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I cleared out the attic recently ahead of a conversion. Dumped 2 van loads at recycle right in Galvone. It was very reasonable price wise. It worked out at something like 10c for recyclables and 20c for regular rubbish per kg.

Mungret will take paint cans too, 5 cans included in the fiver it costs to get in, €2 a pot after that

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cosycat

Thanks for the helpful comments folks. Happily I found Tipperary Co Council Amenity Recycling Centre. Only 20 minute drive and very reasonable. Problem solved 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

You used be able to dispose of plastic in the Dock Road bins and the one in Corbally... but 'people were using it too much' is what I was told when I asked why it was discontinued in favour of Mungret.

I don't know if you've ever been to the local recycling centres in Germany or France but we are WAY behind in this country

Advertisement