Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Corner alpe d'huez

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Planet X wrote: »
    ........or John 3:17..........or Davy Keogh?
    :)

A 'John 3:17' sign would be epic!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

A 'John 3:17' sign would be epic!! :D

O'Neills doing t-shirts. I saw they're doing cycling gear now also.

gaagle-john-3-7-tshirt-blue-1_1.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭dancecatz2000

So who's bringing the Bbq,

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Has anyone rocked up yet and planted a big tri colour in the middle of that hairpin to claim it as ours?

Or at least spraypainted Roche and Martin all over the road

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

These lads did.

BOrT4PjCUAA2I4t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Or at least spraypainted Roche and Martin all over the road
    And KELLY.
    Don't forget KELLY!

I've said it before hereabouts somewhere, it'd be a bit of gas to have Kelly's name on the road somewhere prominent, and see if he or his co-commentator comment on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Inquitus wrote: »
    These lads did.

BOrT4PjCUAA2I4t.jpg

Looks like the lads from Cote D'Ivoire got there first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Does anyone know what the distance is between the summit and corner 10?

How long would it take to walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Sacksian wrote: »

How long would it take to walk?

Up or down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Up or down ;)

I'll be walking sideways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

Inquitus wrote: »
    This is the corner in question

BOWX3tgCYAAVOsX.jpg

Dont mean to be a killjoy here but that corners looks like it could hold no more than 20 on the verge. So its all the paddies on the road then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

riparooo wrote: »
    Dont mean to be a killjoy here but that corners looks like it could hold no more than 20 on the verge. So its all the paddies on the road then!

No worries..........there's loads of room on the road !!

This is what it will be like. Really great pics here from 2011 http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/07/le-tour-diary-stage-19-and-then-there-were-three/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

riparooo wrote: »

we can hop up on each others shoulders, make human pyramids, etc

its all about knowing how to pack

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

Started to pack today and heading out this Sunday, if you see us on the hill give us a shout

936500_10200937219505635_1067697343_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Two of us get to Grenoble on Wed evening approx 6.30pm. There are no buses to L'Alpe Duez after 5pm so we will be taking a cab. If anyone would like to share le me know. Im getting quotes of 70 euro each for two of us, 40 euro for 4 etc.
    Or if anyone is driving through with space in their camper van we will be loaded up with superquinn sausages !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

finbarrk wrote: »
    Very good. Have you ever been to alpe d'huez?

Yes, on a bike but not to the Tour. I imagine its a bit of a scrum compared to other climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

was on the Alpe today, someguy was stopped there and when I descended there was a tricolour up.
    Lots of campervans already stationed on the climb.
    Obviously some Irish had been up the alp already as I saw a sign painted on the road, coming into Alpe d'heuz which said Mayo and I was wondering who the hell put that there, sure he's retired! then I looked again "Mayo for Sam".... Its not often you get to laugh when climbing the Alpe!

and yes this is a thinly veiled post to say that I managed to climb Alpe D'heuz:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kingdomlad

2 of us lads from Tralee heading out on Monday morning to Geneva. Climbing the Glandon on Monday evening, Izoard on Tuesday, Alpe d'Huez on Wednesday, and then back to Corner 10 early on Thursday morning. Looking forward to a bit of craic on the day. Allez, Allez, Allez!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

el tel wrote: »

Just looking at this, says access closed from le Bourg - d'Oisans from noon onwards. Surely this doesn't mean I can drive up the Alpe up to noon on the day of the race? I reckon I'm reading this badly or missing some key point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Dan Martin gives a shout out to this in his diary in the Irish Times.

You might get the nod from him next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Car packed and headed for the ferry, see everybody there in a few days, cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

el tel wrote: »
    What's the story with the road closures? Will it be possible to spectate on the Col de Sarenne? It says closed to all traffic, including bikes - anyone know if pedestrians are allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi all,

I heard about this initiative a few weeks ago and it's really great. It brought back memories from the time my parents brought us to France in April 1989 so I checked out my old pics.

There were 4 kids in this car as well as mum and dad. My dad still made room for my Raleigh Road Ace though. We were staying at the summit of Alpe D'Huez. I was well wrapped up for the descent, how I loved that Systeme U gear! But I remember worrying about my rims melting in the way they spoke of the tubular compound melting. Such was the descent, or my fear, my arms ached from having the brakes on the whole way down. As far as I can remember I went for a short spin and then rode a 42 x 28 on the way back up. Anyway Dad met me on my ascent and stepped out at nearly every corner with whatever simple camera we had. So first I found this photo:

9296810942_51dacdaaf4_c.jpg

And then, lo and behold: Corner 10! I had changed to my even more beloved Kas - Burmah/Castol gear, purchased from the team at one of the Nissan Classics (if anyone has it can I have it back now!).

9294048447_5a3316b912_c.jpg

Looking back at the photos I see that in every car in the background the occupants were looking out - how I delighted in thinking they thought I was Seán Kelly! I also recall nearly running Dad over in order for him to get 'close up' shots.

So to all those who make it there I hope you have a great time. If your parents have brought you then an even more special thanks to the mums and dads. I was only 14 and I can tell you this was such a greater achievement than my inter-cert! Thanks Dad,

Best wishes, Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

'Irish Corner' should be a bit of craic and I'm really looking forward to riding past them on Thursday.

from nicos diary
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/every-single-day-left-is-going-to-be-suited-to-aggressive-riding-29422313.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Wonder what they're having for breakfast this morning eh?
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

http://www.irishcorner10.com/

don't know if it's been up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

Just got a mention there on Eurosport. Do us proud lads, we'll be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Daddy Roche just paid them a visit:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

@Brendan Hennessy Stickybottle.com is offering a €100 prize for best Alpe pics.

Advertisement