Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel back in the day.

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I see the town's most beloved character Swillum Roche is off the drink, I'd say Bulmers profit's will be decreased dramatically. Maybe he is just waiting for Chrissie's to reopen.

Any hints?

The Alphabet is a hint......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

No idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JJDD

I remember going to Our ladies Hall for Discos and Bands (Peggy's Leg?), Swimming at the Annar then Scrumping in Bulmer's also Discos out at the Island. Imelda's Chip shop for potato cakes and Jerry Brennan's Snooker Hall. The Falconery and walks through the Fields up to the Cross.

I remember seeing the late showing of a Few Dollars More at the Regal with an older cousin and watching all the 'Clint Eastwood's on the way home shooting up the town.

And '1st Division' Football up at the Bull Ring in ard na greine. Gentler Days in a Quieter town now long gone but fondly remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

Welcome to Boards JJDD!

Imelda's is gome AFAIK and so is the Snooker Pub.
    The Falcony is also history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

cml387 wrote: »
    Welcome to Boards JJDD!

Imelda's is gome AFAIK and so is the Snooker Pub.
    The Falcony is also history.

I'm afraid they are all gone with the exception of the bullring,but none of the kids play soccer there any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Imeldas was a Clonmel Institution. PJ was a 'character' nicest scallops and potato cakes wrapped up in newspaper.

Imeldas was a Clonmel Institution. PJ was a 'character' nicest scallops and potato cakes wrapped up in newspaper.

After a belly full of porter one night,I ate half a page of the Irish Times.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Amen to that brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 spectraman

hey everyone. I'm trying to do some research and i need to find out where Lug-an-ore (Hollow of the Gold) is located near clonmel...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

spectraman wrote: »
    hey everyone. I'm trying to do some research and i need to find out where Lug-an-ore (Hollow of the Gold) is located near clonmel...
    [/QU

Would it be Laganore....powerstown..just a guess

@ Dt100 do you recognize the name or area? I tried loads of ways to find it on line but i hit a brick wall everytime. Maybe someone may of heard of the area or is living in the vicinity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

@ Dt100 do you recognize the name or area? I tried loads of ways to find it on line but i hit a brick wall everytime. Maybe someone may of heard of the area or is living in the vicinity.

If you search with Dt100's spelling then it's easy to find.

Laganore (Lag an Oir Hollow of the gold) is in the same parish as Ferryhouse, Gortnafleur

http://goo.gl/maps/qZs7i

found it at last. thanks dt100..

The reason i was searching for that particular location was, i heard that gold had been panned or mined in small quantities wayyyyyyy back in that area. Hence the name... Would it be worth panning the river anor close by? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

The reason i was searching for that particular location was, i heard that gold had been panned or mined in small quantities wayyyyyyy back in that area. Hence the name... Would it be worth panning the river anor close by? lol
    anner

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

What a trip down memory lane, skipping night study in the high school and heading to the Las for a few games before my Da collected me from school :D

I remember most of the places and characters mentioned..

Is the workmans boat club still going? The entrance was through a lane in Irishtown..many's the hours I spent on the river while supposed to be in school:D

I see a pattern emerging, ah well great memories.

Does anyone remember two men maybe brothers who did work on shops around the town inthe 80's. They would have navy overalls and always wore ties and flat caps. They would have ladders so maybe it was roof work they did

pickled101 wrote: »
    What a trip down memory lane, skipping night study in the high school and heading to the Las for a few games before my Da collected me from school :D

I remember most of the places and characters mentioned..

Is the workmans boat club still going? The entrance was through a lane in Irishtown..many's the hours I spent on the river while supposed to be in school:D

I see a pattern emerging, ah well great memories.
    yes, still there

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

alyssum wrote: »
    Does anyone remember two men maybe brothers who did work on shops around the town inthe 80's. They would have navy overalls and always wore ties and flat caps. They would have ladders so maybe it was roof work they did

They did lots of painting work and never had a car or van. Cycled everywhere..can't remember their names now

• Advertisement

pickled101 wrote: »
    They did lots of painting work and never had a car or van. Cycled everywhere..can't remember their names now
    painting was it?.
    Cycled everywhere.
    thats right

• Registered Users Posts: 3 katlady82

They were the Moloney brothers. They lived in Queen Street. Real gentlemen, did a lot of work around Clonmel over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ChryslerAvenger

They so were. We depended on them. Michael and Danny had an overgrown yard between Albert and Anne Street, where we picked blackberries in late summer. After every storm, they were up on high ladders with no contingency, sticking all the slates back on the roofs of clonmel. Rest in peace guys, You've earned it.

Advertisement