Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respecting a belief because it is based on religion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No.
    A creche is what anyone over the age of 12 thinks Trinity students call a collision between two vehicles, right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sarky wrote: »
    A creche is what anyone over the age of 12 thinks Trinity students call a collision between two vehicles, right?

I heard it was when two yummy mummies collide in Kensington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I really really want to vote 'don't pick this one' but then I do suffer greatly from must push button that says 'Do Not Push' syndrome.

That's only natural, you are human.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Staunch catholic parents here, with stay at home mother. I'm still atheist. And I like sports. And biscuits.

Anyone who picked the "don't pick this one" option should get a site ban. Anyone who didn't is a coward. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,185 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Atari private maternity hospital.
    oldrnwisr wrote: »

That link's broken, but searching for that text got me this.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

No.
    I voted yes, but only so realdanbreen's feelings wouldn't be hurt about being completely, spectacularly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I see one (and only one) of us was born in a stable because there was no room at the inn? (Very specific, that). Could we be in for an appearance by the man Himself....? Lord, doesth Thou post among us?

No.
    Nah, Jernal's just a hobo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Don't pick this one.
    pauldla wrote: »
    I see one (and only one) of us was born in a stable because there was no room at the inn? (Very specific, that). Could we be in for an appearance by the man Himself....? Lord, doesth Thou post among us?

The Dades abides.

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

what about those of us that emerged from the pod as a fully grown adult? :(:P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was in a creche. And went to Trinity. And did communions, confirmations and the rest because of my typical Irish a la carte catholic parents. And I turned out atheist.

I'm confused. I love my parents and they love me. And I love my family.

Do I need to stock up on biscuits? Or study the mysteriousness of reality?

I don't know where I am at all.

I might be a bit doolally from lack of sleep due to a newborn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

lazygal wrote: »

I might be a bit doolally from lack of sleep due to a newborn

Are congratulations in order? All well, I hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

All good, another heathen for the cause!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

robindch wrote: »
    I was at one of those kind of weddings a short while ago here in Dublin. Nice(ish) church, poor organ, valiant organist, two atheists being married, both foreign nationals from differing countries, and officiating was one very lonely catholic priest. I felt sorry for him as I was one of only four or five people in the church who knew any of the responses; everybody else was either saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, or most often, just staying very shtum indeed, wondering what on earth was going on and when everybody was going to adjourn for more cheer and less sermonizing.

Anyhow, finger in the air, I'd say it was because the building was big and airy.

Are you attempting to make a point there Robin? or just telling us a little story?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

WTF?
    Are you attempting to make a point there Robin? or just telling us a little story?
    Have a read of that post again and tell us what you think. This is a discussion board after all.

BTW, also bear in mind that you've been yellow-carded for posting in a fist-shaky-way at people -- if you keep this up, you'll be red-carded, then banned. Your call.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't remember.
    Went to CBS Schools all my schooling life, did communion (partially for the money), did confirmation (only for the money).
    Never went to creche cause they didn't exist. I don't believe in any god.

My wife went to church run schools all her life, did communion and confirmation., Comes from a very religious family. She also never went to creche.

She's spiritual but doesn't believe in the god/Jesus that the catholic church portray and certainly doesn't go to mass anymore despite alot of protests from her mother.

We did the church wedding thing purely to keep "some" people happy, foolish perhaps but thats as far as it goes with us as no child should one come along will ever be christened and already both our funeral plans don't include any mass etc.

I've always been upfront with anyone about my belief and my reason for doing the church wedding....hell I even told people on my wedding day that the whole mass thing was and is meaningless to me.

The mere suggestion non home raising (going to creche) etc affects your thoughts on religion etc is complete and utter nonsense and only a ejit would suggest that there is such a link, clearly such a person has no idea of whats covered in the creche environment.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Went to CBS Schools all my schooling life, did communion (partially for the money), did confirmation (only for the money).
    Never went to creche cause they didn't exist. I don't believe in any god.

My wife went to church run schools all her life, did communion and confirmation., Comes from a very religious family. She also never went to creche.

She's spiritual but doesn't believe in the god/Jesus that the catholic church portray and certainly doesn't go to mass anymore despite alot of protests from her mother.

We did the church wedding thing purely to keep "some" people happy, foolish perhaps but thats as far as it goes with us as no child should one come along will ever be christened and already both our funeral plans don't include any mass etc.

I've always been upfront with anyone about my belief and my reason for doing the church wedding....hell I even told people on my wedding day that the whole mass thing was and is meaningless to me.

The mere suggestion non home raising (going to creche) etc affects your thoughts on religion etc is complete and utter nonsense and only a ejit would suggest that there is such a link, clearly such a person has no idea of whats covered in the creche environment.

At the risk of appearing to post in a 'fist-shaky-way' but as you have suggested that 'only a eejit' would share my opinion, would I be correct in suggesting that only a Hypocrite/people pleaser who professes to be a non believer would marry in church to please his relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No, you wouldn't. Some non believers marry believers and vice versa.

Jernal wrote: »
    No, you wouldn't. Some non believers marry believers and vice versa.

But he already said he married in church 'purely to keep some people happy',
    that's about as hypocritical as it gets!

No.
    I'm not sure you understand what 'hypocrisy' really is.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm not sure you understand what 'hypocrisy' really is.

And ????

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

And ????
    you're right, making sense is such an unnecessary thing in a discussion! :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

No, but I was born in a stable because there was no room in the inn.
    At the risk of appearing to post in a 'fist-shaky-way' but as you have suggested that 'only a eejit' would share my opinion, would I be correct in suggesting that only a Hypocrite/people pleaser who professes to be a non believer would marry in church to please his relations.

I had one of those recently! It went really well. Although I may now be contractually obliged to say that. I should probably have read that document more closely.

As to the suggestion that an unbeliever is a hypocrite for getting married in a church: Why?

Is pleasing ones relatives a bad thing?

More importantly, I think an opinion like that must be based on a misunderstanding of how fundamentally unimportant churches are to an unbeliever.

Churches aren't special, except to the faithful.

To the unfaithful, they are basically large rooms, built to fit a moderate number of people and point them in the same direction. Which is generally the object of a wedding ritual. But then the same can be said of a hotel function room.

Unlike function rooms however, churches tend to be architecturally interesting, adorned in (occasionally morbid, but some people like morbid) art, carving and sculpture. Clad in marble and granite. Furnished in fine wood. Floored in tile. Aesthetic is subjective, but I know which I prefer.
    They usually have parking located nearby, a selection of small spaces and ornamental furniture for intimate picture taking, steps for making group shots easier.

Why would an unbeliever, without personal reason to loathe the church, remove from the list of possible venues for a wedding, a building so purpose built to suit the role?

Sycopat wrote: »
    I had one of those recently! It went really well. Although I may now be contractually obliged to say that. I should probably have read that document more closely.

As to the suggestion that an unbeliever is a hypocrite for getting married in a church: Why?

Is pleasing ones relatives a bad thing?

More importantly, I think an opinion like that must be based on a misunderstanding of how fundamentally unimportant churches are to an unbeliever.

Churches aren't special, except to the faithful.

To the unfaithful, they are basically large rooms, built to fit a moderate number of people and point them in the same direction. Which is generally the object of a wedding ritual. But then the same can be said of a hotel function room.

Unlike function rooms however, churches tend to be architecturally interesting, adorned in (occasionally morbid, but some people like morbid) art, carving and sculpture. Clad in marble and granite. Furnished in fine wood. Floored in tile. Aesthetic is subjective, but I know which I prefer.
    They usually have parking located nearby, a selection of small spaces and ornamental furniture for intimate picture taking, steps for making group shots easier.

Why would an unbeliever, without personal reason to loathe the church, remove from the list of possible venues for a wedding, a building so purpose built to suit the role?

Fair enough, but I'm assuming he took part in the ceremony which is where the hypocrasy comes in.

No.
    Sycopat wrote: »
    I had one of those recently! It went really well. Although I may now be contractually obliged to say that.

Trust me, it was great. The Imperial March as your lovely lady walked to the alter was an absolutely beautiful touch. I actually felt a human emotion there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Atari private maternity hospital.
    Fair enough, but I'm assuming he took part in the ceremony which is where the hypocrasy comes in.

Mind you, to an atheist, it's the same as getting a Dennis the Menace fan club badge (the furry Gnasher one ;) ). It just doesn't have any significance to them.

smokingman wrote: »
    Mind you, to an atheist, it's the same as getting a Dennis the Menace fan club badge (the furry Gnasher one ;) ). It just doesn't have any significance to them.

Yyyyaaawwwwnnnn!

No.
    Yyyyaaawwwwnnnn!

You're really terrible at this 'discussion' thing, you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ZZzzzzzz
    Yyyyaaawwwwnnnn!

OMG!
    He's awake!
    Progress!

Being the grumpy serious mod I am you've also earned yourself a card.

• Advertisement

No.
    I always thought you were pretty cuddly actually.

Advertisement