Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burke Family vs NUI Galway

Options
  • 12-03-2014 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I think this needs it's own thread as it's separate to the SU elections (sort of).

So the Burke Family, aka the Tesco-Value Westborough Baptist Church, set up an anti-gay stall upstairs in the concourse. Naturally the extremely left-wing student population told them the get the out, and removed their propaganda posters. The Burkes called the Gardaí, who came and instead helped the students to remove the posters before leaving and ordered them to leave. For some reason after that, the Gardaí left. They're currently up there surrounded by a ring of students as they cling to their last poster dramatically. GIG Soc, the college LGBT society, just had a mock gay marriage in front of them, resulting in massive applause.

vIYps08.jpg?1?1295

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Damn, I miss NUIG.

I really hope loads of gay couples started kissing in front of them. Wonder if would be considered murder if the Burkes all died of aneurysms...

Hopefully this action will be the last straw for the university admin and they'll just be kicked out and told to pi55 of back to their church until they want to be part of civil society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Photos?

Sorry, the one I attached was broken. It's there now. I'm uploading a video of the staged gay marriage at the moment. Will pop up there and take a few more snaps now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Would you not just smash their noticeboard and waterballoon/egg them? Job done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No pigeons..

• Advertisement

Here's the video of the staged gay marriage. The SU President just gave a speech up there and asked people to just ignore them, disband, and remember not to vote for Enoch Burke tomorrow as Equality officer if you don't support their stance on same-sex marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Tarjh

Who do you think the Gardai would be forced to side with then?

Tarjh wrote: »
    Who do you think the Gardai would be forced to side with then?
    Who cares? Hate mongers should not be allowed any platform to spread their hate within a college, whether its homophobes, anti semites, rascists or whomever. If the college wont sort it you force their hand and the students should sort it themselves (I'm not saying to shoot people, waterbaloons!)

There's rules of engagement for this kind of thing. One must not resort to any kind of violence as that's really and truly what they want. One student trashed their stand early on, which lead to the Gardaí being called in the first place. Probably not the best thing to have done. GIG Soc will need to be vigilant of this happening in future, as it's up to them to make sure a counter-protest is handled with dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

This is so annoying. Unfortunately these people should be allowed to protest without being harassed. Don't get me wrong here, I think the opinion of the Burke family is incorrect but they weren't doing anything illegal and thus should not be heckled and bullied. If this was the other way around and people were heckling a pro-Palestine protest for example they would be branded "fascists" and intolerant. This is a classic example of the tolerance paradox and the hive mind of people.

Tomorrow the Christian Union's position will be defeated rightly, but who are we to push our views on them?

• Advertisement

You are young, leave the sniveling and hand wringing till your thirties at least.

Student activism ain't what it used to be I guess.

This type of prolonged standoff and attention is what they want, it could have been handled in ten minutes and the prospect of other hateful protests ended right there instead this will drag on and on now.

I often think that Westoboro baptist church and co wouldn't be tolerated here as they'd be "moved on" pretty sharpish but maybe not.

enoch-640x972.jpg

This is so annoying. Unfortunately these people should be allowed to protest without being harassed. Don't get me wrong here, I think the opinion of the Burke family is incorrect but they weren't doing anything illegal and thus should not be heckled and bullied. If this was the other way around and people were heckling a pro-Palestine protest for example they would be branded "fascists" and intolerant. This is a classic example of the tolerance paradox and the hive mind of people.

Tomorrow the Christian Union's position will be defeated rightly, but who are we to push our views on them?

If a pro palestine protest were calling sections of the student body "abominations" or for the denial of the rights of Jewish students and running for SU office on that platform then yes they should also be moved along

Dont make false equivalences

Here's some more photos.

http://imgur.com/a/pnYaJ#0

I fully support their right to protest out in the streets. I do not support them protesting inside a building in a public university while utilising public funding via the Christian Union Society. They're welcome to protest at the college gates, preferably when it's raining...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

I fully support their right to protest out in the streets. I do not support them protesting inside a building in a public university while utilising public funding via the Christian Union Society. They're welcome to protest at the college gates, preferably when it's raining...

Actually ya, this never occurred to me. I presume the Father was the main man at this protest? Why is he allowed disrupt the peace on the campus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Here's the video of the staged gay marriage. The SU President just gave a speech up there and asked people to just ignore them, disband, and remember not to vote for Enoch Burke tomorrow as Equality officer if you don't support their stance on same-sex marriage.

The marriage will never last, there was no passion in the kiss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

just had a mock gay marriage in front of them, resulting in massive applause.

Two Gardaí arrived at the door while that was going on, took one look in at all the muppetry going on, raised their eyes to heaven, turned round and fecked off again.

Can't say I blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Was just at it there and a few people were trying to get a bit of half reasonable debate going when the Dad came out with the frankly bizarre logic that, essentially, because of all the cases in America of 50 year old men "loving", as he put it, 3 year old boys that gay men are basically peodophiles. Conveniently ignoring all the fathers raping daughters that also happens all over the world.
    Plenty of "scripture says..." and "I hate the sin not the person" going on too, complete with one girl busting out the tried and tested "I have gay friends but..." line.
    Highlight was 3 or 4 of them angrily pointing and wagging fingers to the crowd when some guy let out "Shake harder boy!"
    tumblr_l9i4abLVeD1qc073co1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skinnygeness

I can't believe I'm missing this today.
    I was giving out to one of the Burke's brother at the Life Soc stand as they had a sign that reported that "your 224 euro student levy goes for abortion on demand", I asked him to explain to me how was that possible and if I needed an abortion would I just go to the students union? He obviously dismissed me so I wrote to SU president, next thing you know the sign's gone.
    They are nothing more than a bunch of liars and they can't hide their real nature any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skinnygeness

also why is the father even there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I dont understand people standing up for their "Freedom of speech" what they're saying is inherently incorrect and basically a hate crime.
    Tis a farce

All the same, a good oul fashioned Gay Bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Burke for Equality officer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I want it on the record that I hated and protested against the Burkes before it was cool.

Ok, it just disbanded entirely about 6pm, so here are some thoughts having seen almost the whole thing.

First things first, this began as a family, the Burkes of Castlebar, set up a stand in NUIG today at about 1pm in the concourse to promote the NO vote for the referendum for the Student Union of NUI Galway to support the right for same sex couples to marry. This was done legitimately and through the Buildings Office due to their children Enoch Burke and Isaac Burke, student of NUI Galway, holding the positions of auditor of the NUI Galway Christian Union Society and NUI Galway Pro-Life society respectively. This family has frequently been documented to engage in a specific agenda that targets gay rights, from their involvement in opposing the Civil Partnership Bill in 2010, defamation of David Norris later that year during his presidential campaign, their subsequent Supreme Court challenge to Civil Partnership, and other campaigns featuring reliance on linking homosexuality to pedophilia and beastiality.

Things got heated, when on displaying their posters which linked gay students to pedophilia. One individual pulled down their posters, a struggle ensued, and the table got knocked over. At this point, many students started gathering and declaring their disdain for the Burke family's message. The Gardaí were called by the Burke family, who wished to have their right to lobby for the NO vote maintained.

The Gardaí arrived shortly after this, and on hearing the Burke family's side of the story, the Gardaí took the student's side and asked them to leave, declared that their posters were slanderous to Irish citizens, and removed most of the posters themselves. Two members of the Burke family threw themselves in the way of one remaining poster dramatically, the Gardaí rolled their eyes and left, stating that this was a matter for the campus security to deal with. The crowds of students gathered around at this point were cheering and celebrating, and were looking at the Burke family with ridicule. The Burke family, instead of leaving, decided to stage a standing protest, which they engaged in silently.

Following this, GIG Soc and ShoutOut Society (NUIG's LGBT Societies), lead peaceful protests. One in which a same-sex marriage ceremony was staged in front of the Burke family, and another where a ring of students surrounded the family with rainbow placards stating, "Love, Not Hate". Student Union president, Sean Kearns, spoke out in front of the gathered crowds and asked people to disband and that those that disagreed with the family (the majority of those present) could voice their opinion by voting for anyone but Enoch Burke in the upcoming SU election for the position of Equality Officer. Most of the crowd of students disbanded at this point (about 2.30pm).

At about 3.30pm, things began to heat up again with the arrival of members of the NUI Galway Christian Union Society, and the previously silent Burke family now began exclaiming their rhetoric of linking homosexuals to pedophiles. The crowd of remaining students were encouraged not to engage with them by Maria O'Flaherty, auditor of ShoutOut Soc, but some people booed and shouted for them to leave. The counter-protesters then began to sing "All You Need Is Love" over and over and engaged in a sitting protest in front of them.

At about 4.30pm, with the arrival of hundreds of new onlookers, the protesters began to complain about their stand being destroyed and their voices silenced. So the crowd responded to that and shut up. Leaders of the counter protest encouraged them to vocalise what their message is, and the crowd obliged. They mainly spoke about how pissed off they were that their posters were removed along with their voices, and that marriage would slip into ruin if gays were to marry. Once they were done, several members of the crowd were allowed to talk, a few apologised for the individual that originally knocked their stand, and explained that these posters and their agenda seeks to remove not only their voices, but their rights as tax payers. The Burkes & Christian Union began shouting down the crowd members, and control of the situation shifted into chaos. Eventually this democracy was restored and the two groups began to communicate and discuss what exactly they were doing right now and that the Burkes should just leave campus.

This all died down at about 6pm, when most of the students left after being encouraged to by the leaders of the crowd. The Christian Union members also left at this point, leaving behind a now ignored Burke family. They too left at about 6.30pm.

All in all, this was an incredible display of democracy by the counter-protesters. The Burkes could very easily have become martyrs for their homophobic cause, but were instead met with a blend of cheesiness, lighthearted eyerolling, open minded disagreement, and a group of strong and intelligent debaters. I've been involved in gay rights protesting in Ireland for 10 years, and this was just an incredible experience. My faith in humanity is massively restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

ciano1 wrote: »
    Burke for Equality officer! :D

Is this just the most audacious meta-troll of all time? Über piss-take is über :eek: How can she justify it? What's the spin?

SOO confused by her runnng as Equality Officer :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Wow.

Interesting to read. Here in UL a proposal for a pro-Life society was narrowly defeated at a Clubs/Socs council meeting. Glad we've avoided this ugliness!

Fair play for not letting the whole affair get out of hand as well apart from the one incident with the stand, it seemed people behaved themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Thanks for writing that saidinmilamber, it's good to hear from someone who was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Thanks for the summary. Wednesday is a busy day for me so I only passed by once or twice all I really saw was two girls clinging to one of the poster stands and a few gardai milling around the place. Its nice to see there was some proper civilised debate and not just chaos. I wonder will they maintain their protest at the main entrance to college after this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Why does a Christan Union society feel the need to hate against a minority? I imagine they wouldnt be allowed to actively spread hate against an ethic minority in a public funded institution.

Advertisement