Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ploughing Championships

Options
  • 03-08-2014 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Anyone going or have been????
    Post edited by greysides on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Anyone going or have been????

Yes and yes. Never see much of the actual ploughing, and there has been a big reduction in the amount of free stuff since the economic downturn sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Last time I went (2011) kid (6 y o) did a runner. Took 2 hours to find her. (no bother on her, and had blagged a bag of pop corn from a stall, some how, and made her way to the amusement park area) You can imagine the scene in the car on the way home. So after about an hour of me getting scolded, I declared that I would only return to the Ploughing, when she was old enough to drive me herself. So roll on Ploughing 2023! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

micraX wrote: »
    Yes and yes. Never see much of the actual ploughing, and there has been a big reduction in the amount of free stuff since the economic downturn sadly.

Not just the economic downturn but the huge rise in the number of busloads with teenagers going up for the craic and pestering all the stands for free stuff. Actual interested parties/possible customers couldn't get a word in edgeways.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Not just the economic downturn but the huge rise in the number of busloads with teenagers going up for the craic and pestering all the stands for free stuff. Actual interested parties/possible customers couldn't get a word in edgeways.
    They are still going to go around looking. Haha

micraX wrote: »
    They are still going to go around looking. Haha

Don't I know! I was one of them once upon a time!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jurassic Cyclist 24

Yeah not many go for the ploughing just the free stuff and food and drink but that's part of it :(:(:(:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Don't I know! I was one of them once upon a time!:D

So your part of the problem then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

We live about a ten min walk (through fields) to it, so well walk over since the traffic is mental and it'll take hours otherwise HA, was good Craic last year

Reggie. wrote: »
    So your part of the problem then

Was part of the problem. Sure haven't I grown up and got sense.....

oh....carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jurassic Cyclist 24

Ah but still wouldn't turn down something free :D

• Advertisement

oh....carry on.

Sometimes I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

The ploughing is nothing more then a money racket for the NPA(or certain people in it) and lost its true agricultural roots a long time ago, over priced admission first place and then chuggers hassling you as you walk the badly laid out site and don't get me started on the hawkers.

The machinery companies would be better spending their budgets on running a working demo instead of paying through the nose for a few square metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Haven't been since Wexford.
    Booked off 24th, herself wants to pester some stalls for quotes on home improvements.
    Guess I'll be carrying himself (must start training - be a long day).
    No interest in the main event, more the new gadgets (big child)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Farrell wrote: »
    Haven't been since Wexford.
    Booked off 24th, herself wants to pester some stalls for quotes on home improvements.
    Guess I'll be carrying himself (must start training - be a long day).
    No interest in the main event, more the new gadgets (big child)
    dont bring a buggy anyway, i learnt the hard way:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We pop along for the crack.
    Would see a bit of the ploughing, specially of it's not too far from the main area. Like watching te horses ploughing.

If the stupid bus loads of kids weren't there it would be a better day for all. Surely the schools know full well that they will make a nusience of themselves.

Oh.
    And anyone bringing small kids is just crazy, as for those bringing toddlers/baby's in buggeys, that's just insaine!

_Brian wrote: »
    We pop along for the crack.
    Would see a bit of the ploughing, specially of it's not too far from the main area. Like watching te horses ploughing.

If the stupid bus loads of kids weren't there it would be a better day for all. Surely the schools know full well that they will make a nusience of themselves.

Oh.
    And anyone bringing small kids is just crazy, as for those bringing toddlers/baby's in buggeys, that's just insaine!
    i think the school kids are only there to get the numbers up, if they where not there the attendance figures would be alot smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Glebee wrote: »
    Where is it in this year???
    Same location as last year.
    Teenagers are annoying when the ploughing comes around they act as if they were locked in a small room all year and then let loose :mad:

Fully grown adults act like vultures with any bit of free food :mad: Last year I was in a super valu tent with 4 others when the man behind the counter put brown bread out the vultures came from every angle and devoured the lot. The thing about it was there was only a small door in the tent how did the vultures know the food was coming at that moment?

My wife got a free burger at one tent and a vulture asked where she got it she said in there but you have to pay for it :D the vulture went on her way looking for any free food :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Same location as last year.

Teenagers are annoying when the ploughing comes around they act as if they were locked in a small room all year and then let loose :mad:

Fully grown adults act like vultures with any bit of free food :mad: Last year I was in a super valu tent with 4 others when the man behind the counter put brown bread out the vultures came from every angle and devoured the lot. The thing about it was there was only a small door in the tent how did the vultures know the food was coming at that moment?

My wife got a free burger at one tent and a vulture asked where she got it she said in there but you have to pay for it :D the vulture went on her way looking for any free food :D

Lol, brilliant answer. I hate the freeloaders really let themselves down with bad manners.

I go to meet people. Love going on my own. I only go if its close by.

Lol, brilliant answer. I hate the freeloaders really let themselves down with bad manners.

I go to meet people. Love going on my own. I only go if its close by.

I always go on my own one day and go with the wife on another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

One day is enough for me. Only show we go to now or tullamore. Want to get a quote for a crush and meal bin. Our old wooden crush isn't going to last much longer

• Advertisement

One day is enough for me. Only show we go to now or tullamore. Want to get a quote for a crush and meal bin. Our old wooden crush isn't going to last much longer

Tullamore is grand for that as the crowds do be smaller but might not be the same amount of companies at it tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

I don't understand this at all. If you picked up the phone this morning you'd get a quote for both by lunch

I don't understand this at all. If you picked up the phone this morning you'd get a quote for both by lunch

Ah he's just looking for an excuse to go :D

last time i went to ploughing i wanted to look at 2 things, i had great intentions of getting prices from different stands etc, didnt work that way andas frazzled said it would have been better to email/ring around for a few quotes, drove for the guts of 5 hours and was none the wiser. Also found alot of reps at stands very ignorant , you would be half way through getting prices off them and they would go on to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Nice to see the product there and ye come across other company's too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

We're simple people......we count the 'ploughing' as a day out

not this morning its a bank holiday:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

One day with the wife on board is plenty all they want to do is go into every tent with clothes or jewellery :mad: except Whelan of course she would be more farming orientated :D

the best bit of any year i went to the ploughing was the lads putting the fergie 20 together and being timed. Was brilliant to see

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    One day with the wife on board is plenty all they want to do is go into every tent with clothes or jewellery :mad: except Whelan of course she would be more farming orientated :D

We divide and conquer. Sent her on her way and meet up at a certain time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement