Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

• 07-09-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Not sure if this will be allowed but hey, most other forums on boards have one. Chat thread about random stuff that might not deserve it's own thread or random yakking, film related or otherwise.

Uh..so how's everyone's weekend going? been playing the final part of The Walking Dead season 2 and Velocity on my Vita, both are great.
    Post edited by Sad Professor on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, might be against the first item in the forum charter, but sure I'll help ;)

Spent some of the day getting into Orphan Black, thanks to this forum's Netflix recommendation thread: very good show, engaging and solid. Satisfying to watch a TV thriller with genuine forward momentum for once. Also, to keep things vaguely film related, I watched Twin Peaks for the first time. Hoo-boy. That show has not aged well. You can definitely see its fingerprints all over subsequent (and superior) TV dramas but David Lynch's foray into TV is a fascinating, bizarre mess to behold.

Oh and I watched Ireland in the soccer today because I apparently hate myself. Very tedious stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I remember watching Twin Peaks donkey's years ago, was baffled by it then, not much has changed. I'm not really a fan of Lynch's work tbh, some of his stuff is good but meh, can take him or leave him.

Random thought, more cinemas in Ireland need to show classic movies regularly. I dont mean the handful of places in Dublin and the odd major 3D re-release. It's a weekly thing over here and the showings are nearly always full. I went to see Raiders of the Lost Ark on a Friday night and it was sold out, and it wasn't in a small cinema either. Now granted there's a lot more people here but the market is there for people to enjoy classic movies in a cinema setting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah Lynch's style takes some getting used to; I find it funny as some of the dialogue would get laughed out of a night-class for Creative Writing, yet because it's David Lynch he's allowed get away with it :D

I've always wondered why more 'classic' movies don't get wider, more concerted releases by studios. It'd be interesting if someone ever ram up the math to see the potential profit a reboot/remake would make vs. a re-release of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Watched 'Super' for about the third time on Saturday, new housemate had never seen it. It's a pretty great film but the tone veers wildly.

Also, getting stuck into 'The Shield', it's good and all but I believe it gets better.

Also, sun is out!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Near the end of season 3 of the Shield now myself, it's a good show but I still haven't got the "just one more episode" feeling from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Have watched 3 seasons of The Shield so far and it's really good but not brilliant. This is down to bad dialogue and some bad acting mostly from minor characters and especially the guy who plays Lem. Also the vast majority of criminals who get arrested quickly confesses or reveal any info they have which is ridiculous if you watch shows like The First 48. And don't get me started on Vic's horrible family, I fast forward any scenes they are in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

krudler wrote: »
    Not sure if this will be allowed but hey, most other forums on boards have one. Chat thread about random stuff that might not deserve it's own thread or random yakking, film related or otherwise.

Uh..so how's everyone's weekend going? been playing the final part of The Walking Dead season 2 and Velocity on my Vita, both are great.

See how it goes, I guess. We tried it before and it fizzled out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71327380

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hi hi folks ;)

Well, at least the thread could be a useful dumping ground for random film-related nuggets like the one below: I'm a sucker for a groovy supercut, so here's a nice relaxing one, showcasing the transition of the colour spectrum using sequences from Pixar. Lovely. :)

http://vimeo.com/105089367

The Toronto film festival is on at the mo, celebrities everywhere. Saw Al Pacino and Holly Hunter yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Toronto film festival is on at the mo, celebrities everywhere. Saw Al Pacino and Holly Hunter yesterday.

Have you seen many films? What are ticket prices like?

Have you seen many films? What are ticket prices like?

The premiere screenings are like $46 which is about €33 give or take, the regular non press screenings are $28 or something. There's a load of films being shown so I'll try make it to something anyway here's the schedule:
    http://www.tiff.net/festivals/thefestival/schedule

Some good stuff on today, Foxcatcher, Cake, Whiplash, Rosewater and 99 Homes all look good. Haven't seen anything yet but will try get to something later today.

I'm volunteering at it too so get to be around the screenings which is pretty cool, not working again until the weekend so will see the close of the festival.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I kinda hate Toronto / Venice / Telluride season - all these fascinating sounding films being premiered, and we'll be lucky if we get to see some of them even in 2015 :(

At least The Look of Silence and Tokyo Tribes have been guaranteed for a release next year. Sooner the better for A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence!

Yeah I was just thinking how Night Moves premiered at Venice and TIFF last year but was only released here a few weeks ago. I understand the need for long festival runs to build buzz for films that might other wise pass unnoticed, but it makes for frustratingly long waits. Hopefully most of them will pop up at JDIFF, which I notice is a bit later next year.

Weirdly it's the big movies that will get general releases that sell out first, stuff like The Judge and The Equalizer, which are both out in cinemas in a few weeks anyway. Can't see the point in spending nearly 50 quid to see a movie 3 weeks early. I'd much rather see things that are months away from general release.

I think it’s difficult to get the full festival experience as a paying member of the public. At least with smaller fests like JDIFF and EIFF there are discounts and/or season tickets. But the likes of LIFF and TIFF have become prohibitively expensive.

There was a replica of Hal 9000 on the street during the opening weekend of TIFF and people going around dressed as characters from Kubrick's movies,I only saw the masked people from Eyes Wide Shut but there were a few others around randomly.

An Aussie film season in the cool little cinema near my apartment (it shows The Room...every month! apparently the crowd gets super into it, I've never seen it in a cinema environment so will definitely go when it's on again) is starting next week, Priscilla, Australia, Mad Max 2, Crocodile Dundee and The Proposition.

An Aussie film season in the cool little cinema near my apartment (it shows The Room...every month! apparently the crowd gets super into it, I've never seen it in a cinema environment so will definitely go when it's on again) is starting next week, Priscilla, Australia, Mad Max 2, Crocodile Dundee and The Proposition.

I really don't get the obsession with this film; I've never seen it, but watched plenty of clips and there's no question it's a horrendous film, almost hilariously so, but stuff like this baffles me. I like bad, cheesy movies as much as the next person, but The Room just feels like the joke taken too far. I could just be thinking too hard about it of course :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    I really don't get the obsession with this film; I've never seen it, but watched plenty of clips and there's no question it's a horrendous film, almost hilariously so, but stuff like this baffles me. I like bad, cheesy movies as much as the next person, but The Room just feels like the joke taken too far. I could just be thinking too hard about it of course :D

25 secs in, amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Out of interest have many of ye been to the Galway Film Fleadh over the years, and what do you make of it?

I went to this years one, only saw one film in the Town Hall Theater. Decent enough horror film The Canal that was Irish, but didn't make a big song and dance about being Irish.

Don't think much of the film truck, and the THT is a terrible cinema. I noticed that this year they had films on in the purpose built cinemas in Galway, is that a new thing?

Probably the best thing about it is going for pints on the water outside the back of the Rowing Club on a balmy summers evening. :)

• Advertisement

First day of doing press & industry screenings down at TIFF, interesting, long bouts of waiting around interspersed with 10-20min bouts of mayhem and people trying to get into films.

Caught bits and pieces of films like Tu Dors Nicole, Pasolini and a few others throughout the day being in and around the screenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Corinthian

Out of interest have many of ye been to the Galway Film Fleadh over the years, and what do you make of it?

I went to this years one, only saw one film in the Town Hall Theater. Decent enough horror film The Canal that was Irish, but didn't make a big song and dance about being Irish.

Don't think much of the film truck, and the THT is a terrible cinema. I noticed that this year they had films on in the purpose built cinemas in Galway, is that a new thing?

Probably the best thing about it is going for pints on the water outside the back of the Rowing Club on a balmy summers evening. :)

They've been using two screens in the IMC (omniplex) for the last couple of years. The film truck has kind of grown on me over the years :), although it is fierce drafty.

I make an effort to go to a few things in it every year. I enjoy the variety of stuff that they have on, and it's always interesting to see what the directors or producers have to say if they're present.

My favorite of the ones I went to this year was Our Man in Tehran. Also saw Maina, Gringo Trails, Watermark, Wakolda, Cowboys, and a couple of others.

The problem with the film fleadh is that it takes place at the wrong time, it's too late for many of last years big films and too small a festival for most of the upcoming fare. The JDIFF has the same problem and it's a real shame as both festivals are decent enough.

The film truck is a joke and really should be gotten rid of. Anytime I saw anything in it there have been issues. The town hall is equally poor, though not quite as bad as it used to be. The new seating makes a big difference though after an hour or two you're neck will still be sore. If the art cinema ever opens up then the festival will move down there but I wouldn't be holding my breath as it's still just a shell and from what I've been told it may not open before 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Anyone hear about the calvary directors comments on Irish cinema?.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/movie-news/director-john-michael-mcdonagh-says-irish-films-are-not-technically-accomplished-or-intelligent-30587885.html

In my opinion Calvary was pretty poor. No depth to the characters expect Gleeson and slightly possibly Dylan Moran. Most of the other characters dialogue was short and meaningless.
    Personally my favourite Irish film in recent times is The Garage.

An English director makes Irish films and then accuses Irish audiences and critics of being stupid when they point out the issues with his work. I think McDonagh let all the festival adoration go to this head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He reminds me of the the kid who hangs around with one bunch of kids for a while to suit his needs. Said kid gets popular and starts to hang around with the cool kids. Once in the cool gang he belittles the other crowd and says sure he was never even friends with them in the first place.

He comes out as a right ass anyway. He has, or had, no problem using the Oirish stereotype in his movies.

People in glass houses McDonagh: while I've yet to see Calvary - it's in a long list of films that passed me by - The Guard, while funny in places, felt like a script that was very much in love with itself and far less intelligent than it thought itself to be; full of empty quips, reaching for profundity.

That said, the standard of Irish cinema releases does seem a little ropey in places; that a lot of garbage, perceived or actual, gets the nod and makes the majority of 'Irish' cinema (plenty of exceptions of course :)). The way McDonagh expresses that opinion is a little obnoxious, but I can't entirely disagree with the notions behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm with Pixelburp here. Donald Clarke also wrote an article about McDonagh's comments, also throwing in that he received an IFTA, I mean, who actually gives a sh!t about that backslapping cr@p.

The amount of mediocre works nominated for IFTAs is fairly indicative of the Irish film 'industry'. Abrahamson stands out and I'm saying that as a man that hated 'What Richard Did'.

While I agree that the Irish film industry is hardly a hot bed of creativity, there are better ways of saying it. McDonagh's comments seem like those of a man who can't handle criticism, he's happy to take Irish funding, shoot with an Irish cast and crew but it would seem that when there's criticism leveled against his work he instantly goes on the defensive.

• Advertisement

I think the biggest problem with the Irish film industry is that it's all who you know, which is something rampant throughout Ireland anyway. Loads of talent, can't get a foot in the door or funding because it's all going to safe homegrown sh1te. That's starting to change with more people being able to film on shoestring budgets etc but it's still a problem.

Advertisement