Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

• 10-08-2014 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

So yeah, MCU. Currently we're in ten films currently available to watch,

In a vague order

Phase 1
    Iron man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2
    Thor
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    Marvel's The Avengers

Phase 2
    Iron Man 3
    Thor: The Dark World
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    The Avengers : Age of Ultron - May 2015

Coming soon

Phase 3
    Ant-Man - July 2015
    Captain America 3 - May 2016
    Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 - 2017

In addition

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - second series premieres 23rd September.
    Agent Carter
    Daredevil
    Luke Cage
    Iron Fist
    Jessica Jones
    The Defenders
    The Marvel One Shots - little extra movies that come on the DVD's/Blu Rays that add to the Marvel Universe canon.

The Consultant (Thor)
    A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer (Captain America FA)
    Item 47 (The Avengers)
    Agent Carter (Iron Man 3)
    All Hail The King (Thor Dark World)

General MCU news

Adam Warlock will be in GOTG 2 and will clash with Gamora and Drax
    Sin will be one of the villains in Captain America 3
    Filming for Avengers Age of Ultron is complete
    Avengers AOU will feature Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver joining the line up.

So yeah, I really like these movies, maybe a general thread for discussing them?
    If I was to put them in my personal order

Iron man
    Hulk
    Iron man 2
    Thor
    Thor 2
    Iron man 3
    Captain America
    Captain America WS
    GOTG
    The Avengers

So yeah, go :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Avengers 2 is Phase 2. There's also all the one-shot movies and the 4 other tv shows for Netflix: Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and The Defenders. As well as some comics crossovers including a new one from Mark Waid that's coming up called SHIELD, which will run in tandem with AOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Any future Hulk outings planned (outside of the Avengers sequels)? I'm guessing not after the so-so success of the Norton one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

None announced, there was a rumour floating around a little while ago, supposed to be after Avengers AOU.

They'll have a hard time getting a Hulk movie green-lit after the relative failures of previous attempts. If they could make Planet Hulk, it would be unreal though.

Also, Doctor Strange has been announced for 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

They'll have a hard time getting a Hulk movie green-lit.

Ba-dum Tish!

• Advertisement

I hope that Marvel can find a new way to end their films. The whole invading aliens attacking a city is beyond boring at this stage.

I hope that Marvel can find a new way to end their films. The whole invading aliens attacking a city is beyond boring at this stage.

In fairness, that only really happened in Avengers and Thor2. In Iron Man, the final battle was with Iron Monger. The Increible Hulk fought The Abomination, Iron Man 2 ended against Whiplash. In the first Thor movie, the Destroyer wasn't the real threat; the battle was about Thor proving his worthiness. The real battle takes place back on Asgard between Thor and Loki. Captain America fights Red Skull and some of his henchmen. Iron Man Three was Aldrich Killian and some Extremis dudes. Cap2 was Winter Soldier and Hydra. Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't really count because everyone in the whole film after the first scene is an alien ( :pac: ). So that leaves The Avengers and Thor2 that ends with invading aliens.

In fairness, that only really happened in Avengers and Thor2. In Iron Man, the final battle was with Iron Monger. The Increible Hulk fought The Abomination, Iron Man 2 ended against Whiplash. In the first Thor movie, the Destroyer wasn't the real threat; the battle was about Thor proving his worthiness. The real battle takes place back on Asgard between Thor and Loki. Captain America fights Red Skull and some of his henchmen. Iron Man Three was Aldrich Killian and some Extremis dudes. Cap2 was Winter Soldier and Hydra. Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't really count because everyone in the whole film after the first scene is an alien ( :pac: ). So that leaves The Avengers and Thor2 that ends with invading aliens.

Avengers, Thor 2, Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy have endings so similar that you could almost believe that Marvel were simply reusing the same scene and simply changing the names around. Granted they don't all involve invading aliens but how it plays out is almost identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Avengers, Thor 2, Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy have endings so similar that you could almost believe that Marvel were simply reusing the same scene and simply changing the names around. Granted they don't all involve invading aliens but how it plays out is almost identical.

Agreed. It's not necessarily a bad thing except for the fact that they are 4 of the last 5 movies in the series that were released. So, there is a bit of a worrying trend developing. The more interesting/diverse endings were back in phase 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Oak76 wrote: »
    Any future Hulk outings planned (outside of the Avengers sequels)? I'm guessing not after the so-so success of the Norton one.

Apparently , along with hawkeye, Hulk will have a major role to play in age of ultron. There was also plans to have him involved with the gaurdians apparently, which may show signs that planet hulk could happen. I would like the civil war storyline to play out with heroes v heroes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sirsok wrote: »
    Apparently , along with hawkeye, Hulk will have a major role to play in age of ultron. There was also plans to have him involved with the gaurdians apparently, which may show signs that planet hulk could happen. I would like the civil war storyline to play out with heroes v heroes

I don't like enough characters established yet for that. Also,
    with only one guy dying in the whole arc
    , it'd feel a bit hollow.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would have preferred a Planet Hulk film with Avengers 3 being WW Hulk than the Thanos stuff tbh.

Would have been interesting too since it would have been greyer for audiences regarding who to root for especially since Hulk was so great in the first Avengers film.

Probably the kind of risk Marvel wouldn't take though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Probably the kind of risk Marvel wouldn't take though.

Guardians of the Galaxy was only a financial risk. The Avengers are the crux of the MCU and Marvel will be very reluctant to do anything but play it safe Iron Man 3 notwithstanding.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The MCU on the various Netflix regions.

Iron Man - Argentina, Colombia & Mexico.

The Incredible Hulk - Canada.

Iron Man 2 - Ireland & UK.

Thor - Ireland & UK.

Captain America: The First Avenger - Ireland & UK.

The Avengers - Ireland, UK, USA, Denmark, Finland, Norway & Sweden.

Iron Man 3 - Not available yet.

Thor: The Dark World - Netherlands.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Not available yet.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Brazil, Argentina, Colombia & Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

So apparently, Marvel are done with origin stories. The Dr.Strange movie will start with Steven already established as sorceror supreme. Worked well for Guardians anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So apparently, Marvel are done with origin stories. The Dr.Strange movie will start with Steven already established as sorceror supreme. Worked well for Guardians anyways.

He does get a name check in Cap 2.

Has Thor 3 not been confirmed for Phase 3, I'm pretty sure it's a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,875 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FunLover18 wrote: »
    He does get a name check in Cap 2.

Has Thor 3 not been confirmed for Phase 3, I'm pretty sure it's a given.

The name check in Cap 2 was not part of some great plan for him.

The script writer put his name in himself, without discussion with Marvel, or a request from them. It went through a few test shoots and he eventually asked Marvel if it was ok to namedrop him there and they said it was fine - but it wasn't a Marvel planned tease.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Was disappointed there was no One-Shot on the Cap 2 bluray. Was hoping it would be a regular thing for each of their blurays in future but I guess not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was disappointed myself but hopefully there'll be something on GOTG. The gag reel was pretty good.

Thor - Ireland & UK.

Iron Man 3 - Not available yet.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.episodes 1 though 7-Brazil, Argentina, Colombia & Mexico.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes 8 though 16-Brazil, Argentina, Colombia & Mexico.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.episodes 17 through 22 - Brazil, Argentina, Colombia & Mexico.

Update 4/9/14.. To put probably the best way to watch with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.episodes.

• Advertisement

Thor - Ireland & UK.

Iron Man 3 - Sweeden, Norway & Denmark.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.episodes 1 though 7-Brazil, Argentina, Colombia & Mexico.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes 8 though 16-Brazil, Argentina, Colombia & Mexico.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.episodes 17 through 22 - Brazil, Argentina, Colombia & Mexico.

Edit; Iron Man 3 added to Netflix Sweeden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

I stopped watching agents of shield half way through season one, is it worth sticking with? Im a total Marvel fan boy, but i just thought it was complete muck... does it get better? How does it fair with the complete destruction of the public face of SHIELD in CAP2?

cronin_j wrote: »
    How does it fair with the complete destruction of the public face of SHIELD in CAP2?

Completely changes the show in awesome ways. Post-Winter Solider, AOS is a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

Completely changes the show in awesome ways. Post-Winter Solider, AOS is a great show.

So should i just skip forward or is it worth watching the "filler" and holding out?

I'd watch anyway. It gets steadily better and by the time things shift, you'll be glad you know the characters a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So Variety are reporting that RDJ is signing on for Captain America 3 which will launch the Civil War storyline. I'm not a comic expert but I suppose this could be easily tied in with what happened in TWS. The only thing I'm not sure about is Stark's position, RDJ's Stark doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would be OK with such government interference but maybe after the events of Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2 he might be persuaded. Anyway, I think it's great news and it shows yet again that Marvel really seem to know what they're at. I also know enough about the Civil War arc that
    it could also pave the way for Bucky donning the stars and stripes. I can't see Evans sticking around past his contract

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Really hope marvel get the rights back to all their properties and continue this current gen of movies with the studios and once they're basically done let them rest and have a breather for a few years, hopefully ten and have a total reboot where they can do everything perfectly and have any crossovers they want. I don't understand why DC is rushing into their new JL movies, more than likely to try to 'catch up' with marvel (even though it's impossible) when they could easily just reboot everything and follow a similar format to marvels avengers.

Also, why didn't marvel use a network like HBO for their shows? I think they'd be able to work together and make them better produced.

Edit: just saw ABC is owned by Disney...well I guess that's that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I think it's a blessing in disguise that Marvel don't have the rights to all their characters. Imagine trying to fit in the X-Men with The Avengers. The X-Men 'universe' is so large as it is, there's no need to have the Fantastic 4, Spiderman or any of The Avengers too. Just look at DoFP, as great as that was, the majority of the characters got less than 2 minutes screen time. Now try fitting the aforementioned characters into it too and remain a cohesive story.

To be honest, FF and/or Spiderman would be cool with the Avengers. I just think the X-Men should remain completely separate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Bacchus wrote: »
    I think it's a blessing in disguise that Marvel don't have the rights to all their characters. Imagine trying to fit in the X-Men with The Avengers. The X-Men 'universe' is so large as it is, there's no need to have the Fantastic 4, Spiderman or any of The Avengers too. Just look at DoFP, as great as that was, the majority of the characters got less than 2 minutes screen time. Now try fitting the aforementioned characters into it too and remain a cohesive story.

To be honest, FF and/or Spiderman would be cool with the Avengers. I just think the X-Men should remain completely separate.

True. But even just cameos or Easter eggs hinting towards upcoming movies would be sweet and really add more detail about the universe. Some of my favourite parts of marvel movies are the Easter eggs and end credit scenes that lead up to the new movies. They're a big part of marvels marketing I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd be slightly worried about the civil war arc being brought to the movies now as there's feck all heroes available at the moment. So it'll either be a low key affair with a handful of superheroes (which would hardly be a war) or in the next few films they're going to unleash a torrent of new heroes which seems a little excessive and won't be giving nearly enough background story for us to give a sh*t when any of them are killed.

The other alternative is to simply have an original story and have it only loosely resembling Civil War, in which case why not go for something completely original? Time will tell, I guess.

Advertisement