Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Concert Experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Valentina wrote: »
    The Stone Roses in the Phoenix Park a few years ago. The ground was churned up and boggy with lads openly pissing all over the place. Then some people decided it would be a good idea to wrestle in the pissy mud and throw it around the place.

i thought it was alright, wasn't expecting much. if you told 18 year old me i'd see the Stone Roses in my lifetime, i wouldn't have believed ya.
    Bob Dylan in Galway in 2004, I think. It lashed rain and was freezing, sound was woeful. Dylan never said a word to the crowd. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

lol easily the worst gig i ever been at. we all left a few songs in along with a load of people. crowd was geriatrics. as a previous poster said about a Dylan concert, all the wánkers were online in the days after saying we just didn't understand Dylan live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

If you could hear them chatting, the sound quality must have been ****e.

Ah here, that's not true... been at many rock concerts where the sound was exceptional and people can still ruin the bloody thing by chattering beside you and so during an acoustic set it can only be even more of a disturbance. I felt like ending the life of a couple of morons who were jabbering away in the RDS during Springsteen's Racing In The Street. For years it was the song I wanted to hear him perform only for it never to make the setlist. Thankfully some biker in front of us turned around and told them to shut their traps and I could at least enjoy the last half of the song.

Housemartins in the SFX back in '88 or so was the most violent gig I was ever at. I was quite young and was quite shocking to see so much blood. Would still be quite shocking I suppose. People say society is more violent today but I think gigs were much more violent back then. Or maybe it was just venues like the SFX and the Olympic Ballroom which attracted those crowds.

The Quireboys didn't turn up for one gig back in 1990. Back in those days there was no way of letting people know either and so if a gig was cancelled on the day, and they weren't a huge act, you generally found out when you got there. Had a massive impact on my life as a life changing event happened me later that night on the way home. The butterfly effect at work right there.

Yeah, the Bob Dylan a couple of years back was deplorable.

Was at Billy Joel a few years back and a few arsetits thought it would be a good idea to start videocalling someone in the balcony during Piano Man, and then start jumping up and down when the person in the balcony couldn't pick them out. A few selfies later and they were approached by O2 staff and told to stfu or they would be asked to leave.

Guns n Roses Ax Rose was pretty bad at the O2. After being convinced to come back out, he pretty much just sat beside the drumkit and went through the motions. Total moron but sure we all knew that going in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Another shout for Bob Dylan. It is an awful concert experience but the worst ever for me was the Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Oxegen in 2006. It was so dull. A real paint by numbers type thing. I left after 25 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

Why in sweet jesus do people STILL keep paying money to see Bob Dylen? There is something just wrong with him making money off people and giving such awful performances in return every single fuppin time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

crybaby wrote: »
    Why in sweet jesus do people STILL keep paying money to see Bob Dylen? There is something just wrong with him making money off people and giving such awful performances in return every single fuppin time.

Agreed, don't think I've ever heard of anyone who has enjoyed any of his concerts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sadie06 wrote: »

The one and only time I saw Oasis they were terrible…not talking to each other, bored looking. Supergrass saved the day as their support act.

Old Lansdowne Road? Yes that was pretty dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I suppose with Dylan people hold him in such reverence that they're prepared to sit there and politely applaud his diabolical performances just for the opportunity of seeing a real life legend. Whereas most other acts would be booed off the stage if they turned in such a display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Were the band themselves any good, how about Brown's voice?

I say this as a Roses fan, his voice has gone to sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

The thrills back in the day in the olimpia I think. They were not thrilling....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

crybaby wrote: »

Birthday present in my case.

When I opened the envelope I faked a smile and said
    "Oh you REALLY SHOULDN'T have"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you could hear them chatting, the sound quality must have been ****e.

Rubbish. You havent got a clue or have little experience of going to gigs... many of those quieter moments at gigs. Acoustic songs etc are ruined by morons yapping away all too often..... i remmeber a very hushed set from a dude called Stephen Fretwell in Whelans years ago and the two girls who pushed their way passed everyone to stand front and center got a bit bored halfway in and just talked away like they were in Starbucks oblivious to the performer.. the other people there and the gig in general... so frustrating.. arseholes with too much money and not enough interest but they think its a badge of honour to be at xxx gig and tell their mates in work on Monday how totally cool they are .. knowing all of two songs..

Josh Rouse or Evan Dando worse gigs for me.. as they were both of their faces...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Bob Dylan hates his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I had the pleasure of going to see Phil Collins many years ago...after playing for an hour and a half he announced that they were taking a break and would be back to play....for even longer....groan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

boobar wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of going to see Phil Collins many years ago...after playing for an hour and a half he announced that they were taking a break and would be back to play....for even longer....groan.

If you go to see someone you wanted to see and like, would you not be happy that they announced an all night gig?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Bob Dylan hates his job.

why does he bother anymore?? its obvious he's not enjoying himself....and its not like he needs the money either :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Guns N Roses 2010 at O2.

Was actually very entertaining for the wrong reasons. Showed up an hour late, booing and whistles from the crowd, then bottles thrown, they left the stage, messages from security that concert was over, people getting angry, then they came back about an hour later to finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Chili Peppers, Pixies and the Thrills at the Phoenix Park a few years ago. Gig was not great...athmosphere was terrible. Too many people off their heads looking for trouble.

Not a pleasant experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The Las, about 10 years ago. There was 60-90 minutes between the opening act and them coming on, and they played for about 20 minutes, and it was sht. If my companion hadn't really, really wanted to see them I'd have demanded my money back and left before the came on. Total lack of respect for their fans.

The only thing that was played in between the acts was Franz Ferdinand, and I can't listen to them since because it brings back memories and makes me angry.

The Las, about 10 years ago. There was 60-90 minutes between the opening act and them coming on, and they played for about 20 minutes, and it was sht. If my companion hadn't really, really wanted to see them I'd have demanded my money back and left before the came on. Total lack of respect for their fans.

The only thing that was played in between the acts was Franz Ferdinand, and I can't listen to them since because it brings back memories and makes me angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

kylith wrote: »

Reminds me of the time I saw Dinosaur Jr a few years ago in Dublin. never have I seen a band on stage who gave less of a sh!t about their fans, the gig or the music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kylith wrote: »

If thats the gig that was in the Ambassador i was at that too... the roadies for about an hour kept coming on stage to tune the guitars every two minutes. Got booooed and just shrugged their shoulders.. aparently the band were over in Conways knocking back pints !

Strumms wrote: »
    If thats the gig that was in the Ambassador i was at that too... the roadies for about an hour kept coming on stage to tune the guitars every two minutes. Got booooed and just shrugged their shoulders.. aparently the band were over in Conways knocking back pints !

That's the one. I'd believe they were locked alright. Shttiest gig ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've always heard the La's were notorious arseholes, I've heard industry people and producers who tried to work with them slating the attitude they had back in the day. It's a shame really because the only studio album they managed to get out was actually quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

stanley1 wrote: »
    Peter Green in Abbey st, rotten venue and Peter was well gone.

I agree that the academy is pretty pants for seated gigs, but did you expect him to bash out a 30 minute solo during rattlesnake shake or something? When your going to see an elderly schizophrenic recluse perform you can't expect fireworks on stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 cripesonfriday

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I was going to say the same thing about the Counting Crows. My experience was a Counting Crows gig 2008 in the Ambassador in Dublin. Exact same thing, old stuff played in weird style. Used to like them but don't listen to them anymore, turned me right off.

Counting Crows for me too, in the O2 soon after it opened. Every song was different, nobody around me was happy,me and my friends ended up walking out.
    Had seen them in the same place twice when it was The Point and they were great, Duritz genuinely seemed to be enjoying himself but the gig in The O2 was atrocious, he honestly didn't seem to care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Counting Crows for me too, in the O2 soon after it opened. Every song was different, nobody around me was happy,me and my friends ended up walking out.
    Had seen them in the same place twice when it was The Point and they were great, Duritz genuinely seemed to be enjoying himself but the gig in The O2 was atrocious, he honestly didn't seem to care.

Just as I was reading this post, Counting Crows got a shout out from Peter Griffin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Definitely done recently.

Answer is still the same. Alkaline trio in the Academy a few years back. Skiba in a period of 'self medicating' turned up onstage in a shocking state. Other band members managed to just about make it a passable gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Definitely done recently.

Answer is still the same. Alkaline trio in the Academy a few years back. Skiba in a period of 'self medicating' turned up onstage in a shocking state. Other band members managed to just about make it a passable gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Never had a particularly bad concert experience but if I had to pick my least favourite gig, it'd have to be John Cale a few years ago in the Button Factory. A lot of sound problems and he didn't play an encore, which would've included my favourite song of his.

Also, since he's been mentioned a few times on here, I saw Bob Dylan last year in Cork and I thought he was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Never had a particularly bad concert experience but if I had to pick my least favourite gig, it'd have to be John Cale a few years ago in the Button Factory. A lot of sound problems and he didn't play an encore, which would've included my favourite song of his.

Also, since he's been mentioned a few times on here, I saw Bob Dylan last year in Cork and I thought he was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

Chili Peppers, Pixies and the Thrills at the Phoenix Park a few years ago. Gig was not great...athmosphere was terrible. Too many people off their heads looking for trouble.

Pixies were excellent that gig, the sound for the Chilis was terrible, left half way through their set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Red Kev wrote: »
    Eric Clapton, Malahide, 2008 (?).

He usually says nothing, fair enough, but the sound was crap, then fell out altogether, pissed rain as well.

Could not agree with you more. I've seen Clapton 24 times going back to the mid-80s. This was by far the worst concert experience that I have ever had.

I was also there to see Robert Randolph and the Family band as the opening act. They looked like they had just stepped off the plane. The sound was horrible for both sets.

Clapton made one comment to the crowd all night. It had finally stopped pissing down on us. He looked up and saw a patch of blue sky in the distance. The crowd looked around and went 'meh'.

He never said another word all night.

During his encore, his guitar rig went dead. He kept looking at the side of the stage and pointing his thumbs up as to say 'turn it up'. The irony is that this was happening all night and he finally copped it.

Brutal night all around.

This pretty much put me off the thought of standing in a field to see a concert ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Bob Dylan in Galway in 2004, I think. It lashed rain and was freezing, sound was woeful. Dylan never said a word to the crowd. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

The sound was poor but the weather was fine. Dry and mild. Quite windy which messed up the sound even more.

I enjoyed the gig though. He seemed in good form and his band was fantastic.

jamesbere wrote: »
    Why didn't you put something up in boards before you went, there was bound to be people on here that shared a similar music interest that you could hung around with at least.

I'd been keeping an eye on boards and meetup for something but nothing seemed to materialise. Plus I was stuck far too much in an indulgent "I hate everyone and everything, and everyone and everything hates me" state to actually be anyway proactive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Suas11 wrote: »
    I enjoyed that gig, probably because it was the first time I managed to get to see him live, but I definitely thought something was off. He didn't really seem into it for whatever reason but he still put on a good show.

The major annoyance I had with that gig was that I had to keep moving around, I kept ending up beside people who wouldn't shut up. At one stage I was standing beside a couple who were complaining endlessly that there was no proper seating in the venue (they were perfectly mobile too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Pixies were excellent that gig, the sound for the Chilis was terrible, left half way through their set.

I was at that gig and convinced my friends to go and all...I was disappointed to say the least with the Chili Peppers!!

I wouldn't mind but they were unbelievable in Slane the year before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

Kaiser Chiefs 07/08 Dublin Castle. Just turned into a giant brawl and I was with 3 small girls trying to look after them. Really stressful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Aerosmith in Marley Park about 7 or 8 years ago. They really couldn't have been bothered and were just going through the motions. The sound was rubbish too which just made the overall experience worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ozzy Osborne in 07. Was back from rock werchter the day before, sunny, we'll organised, great sets all weekend to end up in the Point with zakk Wylde diddling away through 2 sets, a guy who can't sing for his life and got hit in head with full bottle of coke that was thrown. Miserable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Eminem in Punchestown. He kept saying "Hello Dublin." It's Kildare ye bollix. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Ah here, that's not true... been at many rock concerts where the sound was exceptional and people can still ruin the bloody thing by chattering beside you and so during an acoustic set it can only be even more of a disturbance. I felt like ending the life of a couple of morons who were jabbering away in the RDS during Springsteen's Racing In The Street. For years it was the song I wanted to hear him perform only for it never to make the setlist. Thankfully some biker in front of us turned around and told them to shut their traps and I could at least enjoy the last half of the song.

Housemartins in the SFX back in '88 or so was the most violent gig I was ever at. I was quite young and was quite shocking to see so much blood. Would still be quite shocking I suppose. People say society is more violent today but I think gigs were much more violent back then. Or maybe it was just venues like the SFX and the Olympic Ballroom which attracted those crowds.

The Quireboys didn't turn up for one gig back in 1990. Back in those days there was no way of letting people know either and so if a gig was cancelled on the day, and they weren't a huge act, you generally found out when you got there. Had a massive impact on my life as a life changing event happened me later that night on the way home. The butterfly effect at work right there.

Yeah, the Bob Dylan a couple of years back was deplorable.

Was at Billy Joel a few years back and a few arsetits thought it would be a good idea to start videocalling someone in the balcony during Piano Man, and then start jumping up and down when the person in the balcony couldn't pick them out. A few selfies later and they were approached by O2 staff and told to stfu or they would be asked to leave.

Guns n Roses Ax Rose was pretty bad at the O2. After being convinced to come back out, he pretty much just sat beside the drumkit and went through the motions. Total moron but sure we all knew that going in.

Not a worst performance but about audience etiquette. Bat For Lashes at Electric Picnic 2012, Natasha was playing new material, when she done Laura you could hardly hear it for half the Electric Arena audience yabbering away, it totally destroyed the quieter songs of the gig, especially the track Siren Song.

On Bob Dylan, I saw him at Fleadh Mor festival in Waterford in 1993, his voice was still fcuked back then but slightly better, the annoying thing being that he was playing all his hits as a melody piece, one verse of Tambourine Man and maybe one verse of Hurricane and the like so quickly lost interest, didn't go to the gig to hear a sampler of his hits and there was no faulting his band who were pretty tight.

Homer, its alright some of us have had sh1t Picnics too, not me mind, but folk I know who were just not in the frame of mind to go in a blow out for three days and like you say yourself, you had a sh1t week leading up to it. I went with a friend from Galway to the 2009 Picnic, on the day preparing for the journey to Stradbally, my mate received an eviction notice to vacate his flat, what a way to start festivities for the weekend.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Gob****e cúnts drinking pints up the front, giving out when anyone bumps into them.

Fúck off and go air guitar in the corner, ya bollocks.

C'mon keep the thread going, I'm enjoying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Not exactly terrible but Blur at benicassim this year. I know most of their stuff (not the new album) but it just wasn't a very exciting show. I ended up lying on the grass and falling asleep for parts of the set. I'd been looking forward to them, especially as their one of the more well-known acts I've been to see so it was quite disappointing.

And nothing really to do with the acts but during Naughty boys set at the last Oxegen festival I got caught in torrential rain that completely drenched my supposedly waterproof coat from pennys that I just ended up binning. Was absolutely freezing for the rest of the day and had to fork out a fiver for a poncho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Van Morrison and Bob Dylan in Tramore in the early 90's. Sang a few songs, never interacted with the crowd and shagged off.

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Van Morrison and Bob Dylan in Tramore in the early 90's. Sang a few songs, never interacted with the crowd and shagged off.

Was that Fleadh Mor festival, ended up leaving Dylan to go and see the Chieftains in the marquee who were pretty amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I thought Pixies were great. Never thought I'd get to see them live.

I missed The Thrills though and left as soon as Pixies went off stage so missed RHCP too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Sea Sessions this year, on the second night I arrived back to my tent to find it slashed open and everything, including my clothes and shower wash gone. Luckily I'd had my wallet and return bus ticket on me, made the best of it and enjoyed the rest of the festival, slept on the ground. Had some fairly expensive clothes in that tent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Was that Fleadh Mor festival, ended up leaving Dylan to go and see the Chieftains in the marquee who were pretty amazing.

Yep, it sure was. Sounds like you made the better decision!

• Advertisement
Advertisement