Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Turns out the best way to blow away the cobwebs the day after a wedding is with a LSR in the afternoon sunshine. And by best I mean most torturous. It was a journey of every possible emotion. Feeling great now though \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Planning on getting out for an early one in the morning, the way this weather is going the few fruit pastilles are not going to cut it for much longer on the long runs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Ok I'll belatedly join in here....not quite a novice, but anyway!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

5k - June 2014 - 20:46
    5 mile - May 2014 - 34:08
    10k - May 2013 - 43:56
    10 mile – March 2016 - PB 1:14:13
    1/2 Marathon - March 2014 - PB 1:37:07
    Marathon - April 2014 - 4:18:52

Running since the summer of 2012, although this is the first year I've really concentrated on it, having finished playing Gaelic football at the end of last year. This year I ran the Connemara HM in 1:40, and covered HM distance in the Wings For Life run. I'm also fast approaching the 50 Parkrun milestone.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    4 days a week usually, but this can and probably will increase.
    Coming up to Connemara I was covering 30+ miles a week with a 13-15 mile long run on Sundays, and a parkrun on Saturday included. Since then I've eased off somewhat (not injury related) but am ready to pick it up again. I may join a club soon, to help structure it all a bit better.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Goal 1 – Sub 4. I wanted to do this in Paris, but low overall mileage, heat exhaustion and moving house the same week were factors in my second half downfall.
    Goal 2 – Sub 3:50. Definitely achievable based on HM and other times if all goes well.
    Goal 3 – Sub 3:45; as above... best case?

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    4 or 5 I reckon. Boards plan looks more like my style, although I may have to incorporate the PR into my long runs if I'm to follow it rigorously and keep those going.

Why are you running this marathon?
    I've wanted to run the Dublin Marathon for years. I was signed up for DCM in 2014, but backed out of it due to picking up too many niggly injuries in the months leading up to it. An absolute stinker of a Dublin HM made my mind up if it wasn't already.

Back when I was a little boy growing up fadó fadó, the marathon used to pass our house. We'd go out and cheer all the runners as they passed. One of my uncles ran it in the 1980s. More recently, one of my cousins is a multiple marathoner and has done this one several times; one of my BILs has run it too. Apart from that, much as I was and still am proud of running the Paris Marathon, I know I can do far better than a 30 minute positive split as the wheels came off that day.

Thanks to nop98 for offering to act as mentor, and best of luck to everyone!

Well Wubble Wubble, welcome to the thread!

I think I half know you already, having read a few of your race reports, if I am not mistaking. Clontarf HM in 2014 and some others? Nice time in the CNM half, that wasn't an easy day by all accounts.

You must have ran by me (and my son) during the WfL event, we were just at the 10k mark cheering everybody on.

Not much feedback to give - you know the drill :) Miles make champions and it's a matter of getting back into the swing of things and start clocking up the mileage. The boards plan sounds perfect for you, I would simply not wait and start with similarly structured runs already.

Good point about running parkruns as part of longer runs (or any real races as training runs). I have a separate post lined up for that soon. The short version: it's HARD. You have to be so disciplined to keep to LSR pace!

Welcome onboard, let's hope you stay out of trouble injury-wise, and you should have a great day out in October!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A word that came to mind for me was temptation. You're out and about, say you're not happy with what you see on your watch, there must be temptation to go feck it and pick up the pace even though this thread says otherwise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

diego_b wrote: »
    Wait till ye hear about naked runs....

No need for nipple protectors:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Classic21

Short run this morning as it was all time would allow. But running 6.5 miles on the Prom in Galway as the sun was coming up made up for it. Early runs with nobody about really lets you appreciate the views.
    Will I be saying the same when this is upped to 18 miles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

11 miles done and dusted. Up early to beat the heat!

Much the same myself lovely morning for a run,Swords Malahide Portmanock was the route this morning......just starting to get warm towards the end.

Great morning to be out.
    chrislad wrote: »
    11 miles done and dusted. Up early to beat the heat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Much the same myself lovely morning for a run,Swords Malahide Portmanock was the route this morning......just starting to get warm towards the end.

Great morning to be out.

Swords Malahide and back was my route this morning . There was quite a few out this morning . It was a really lovely morning .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Did a lap of the Phoenix Park just there for my weekend run. Shorter distance than I would have thought - 7.3 miles. Kept pace steady at just under 9min/mile. Felt great, was tempted to keep going to push on to 10 miles when I got back to my starting point, but I figured I'd call it a successful exploration for today.

lWkuF5Z.png

Buzzing from it though, such a beautiful day and my playlist shuffle was on the ball. I picked a good week to start training in earnest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Slightly clammy out there now alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

New to this - my running life has never been overly structured. Figured I'd throw my story out there.

I've done 5 10km races in the last 18 months, and one half marathon in April.
    -10km (Phoenix Park Pink Run) - 52.54
    -Half marathon (Connemarathon), 1:51.27, April 2016 - Really tough one. Conditions were tough, and it was my first half.

Seldom, but they have happened.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Started running last year, completed three 10km runs, all sub 55mins.
    This year I ramped it up a bit, I'd run between 14km & 16km once a week from start of March up until the half in April. Things like Stags, Weddings, Birthdays and of course work meant I didn't get out as much as I could have.
    Only started running again after my 1/2 last week. I'm active enough, would walk 11km a day (to/from work)

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I want to finish it. Simple.
    That said, having done (what I've been told) a tough half marathon like Connemara in 1h51, a part of my wants to believe I could go sub 4. Honestly, it's just a milestone I've plucked out. Once training gets fully underway again I'll re-evaluate this!

Initial plan is to get two mid distance (15km) runs a week in.
    Honestly, I'm aware stubbornness and a decent pair of legs got me through my first 10kms and the half - so I'm new to "plans".

Personal achievement.
    The Marathon wasn't on my road map until after I ran the half. I started thinking, I'm 30 now, I've already "begun" training, whether I knew it or not - so this is probably the best opportunity I'll have to take it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Did the terenure5mile today, it was a lot more difficult than I imagined, I don't know if knowing the road so well was a disadvantage. I lost the pacers at the start but caught them on the finish line.. I got a 39:20 net so I'm delighted with that, 1:45 ahead of target.

I've never ran in that heat/sun before, it was really tough - my poor HR was averaged 175

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

jameshayes wrote: »
    Did the terenure5mile today, it was a lot more difficult than I imagined, I don't know if knowing the road so well was a disadvantage. I lost the pacers at the start but caught them on the finish line.. I got a 39:20 net so I'm delighted with that, 1:45 ahead of target.

I've never ran in that heat/sun before, it was really tough - my poor HR was averaged 175

Did it myself J and general consesus was it was a tough day at the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Fortunechip fair play in Connemara, if it's the one I'm thinking if I saw a few photos and it looked absolutely horrible in that weather.

Right I've looked over the Hal Higden plans and liked the I1 or I2, from what I could see there wasn't any interval / fatlek sessions. I'll look over it properly but assuming I changed one run a week to an interval I think I could stick with it easily enough so I'll look over it in the next few days, do some tweeks and if ok post it here for review.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

For a long time I have been reading training logs on here and the mentored novices thread last year, always a good read and I have gotten many tips....so decided to join in!!

I have run many 5ks and 10ks over a ‘very’ long period of time.
    In 2014 I decided to follow a plan (Hal Higdon) and train for a 10k and try to get under 50 minutes, and this worked well for me. Both my 5k and 10k pbs happened during this training period.
    5k – MSB St. Patricks Day 2014 - 21.54 (my garmin showed distance to be 100m short!)
    10k – K Club April 2014 – 46.08
    I have never run a half or full marathon.
    I’m currently nowhere near my pb times!

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Since I decided to do the marathon I train the days the marathon plan would suggest, plan doesn't start until July.
    Monday – rest
    Tuesday – 6 / 7 k
    Wednesday – 8 / 10k
    Thursday – 5 / 7k
    Friday – rest
    Saturday – 12 / 18k
    Sunday – Cross (hill/mountain walk) or short run 6k approx.

At the moment I just want to get to the start line, injury free. My dream finishing time would be under 4 hours but realistically I would just like to cross the finish line.

I can train 5 days a week and I intend to follow Hal Higdon Novice 1 or 2, probably 2.

Not sure being honest, a challenge, something to focus on. I swore I never would... not even run a half marathon as I get so many niggling injuries, but I feel if I don’t attempt it this year the decision might be taken away from me as one of the aches and pains will rule me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HankSchrader

Hey guys have made the decision to run a marathon for the first time,been following this thread for a while now! All advice welcome!

5k - PB 23:06 November 2015
    10k - PB 47:54 August 2015
    10k is the max competitive race I have ever done. So I'm jumping from 10k to 42k!

No

Ok so when I was training for the 10k runs I ran about 3-4 times a week. I haven't ran alot in the last few months as I got married in March...went abroad for a few weeks so 2 months later here I am! I've ran 33k this week. I also have a bench and weights so I'd use that once a week.

Under 4hrs. Is 3:45-30 pushing it?!

I hope to run at least 4 times a week. I've more or less started the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan. Should I stick with it or try the Boards plan? I was hoping for a PMP of 4:59/km, would I be correct in saying the easy runs be around 5:30/km and the LSRs slower again? Trying to see what is best for my planned marathon time and my experience of running so far.

No commitments this year. Personal goal. I know I can do it, I just have to be consistent with my training :)

Thanks for doing this nop!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

@jameshayes It was tough with the heat alright. No hills though. Got 2min PB at 46.19 so really really happy.
    I have run in the heat before and I don't like it either

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

@jameshayes It was tough with the heat alright. No hills though. Got 2min PB at 46.19 so really really happy.
    I have run in the heat before and I don't like it either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

We're up and running for about 2 weeks, and it's 6 weeks to the start of our 18 week training programs. In other words, yesterday was 24 weeks until the big day. :eek:

Assuming I haven't missed someone, I count 31 Novices (and not-so Novices!) so far! I think I have responded to all introductions - but do let me know if I have missed yours!

As I wrote this last night - 3 more new novices have signed up! Welcome, I will respond in detail later!

I love the weekend reports like "I've just done my 9 miles", wait till the distances go up and it's a matter of great pride to add your notification to the list! In the meantime, there's been plenty of questions about plans, number of runs per week, cross-training, other races to run during the training.

Many times the advice for novice marathoners is to "just go ahead and enjoy your first marathon", which I something I completely agree with. However, what does "enjoying your first marathon" really mean? Let's consider what it does not mean. It surely can't be being reduced to run-walking from about 13/14 miles, or being in tears at about 18, or pulling out at 20, or crossing the line while thinking "never ever ever again" (and still thinking that the day after!). Or injuring yourself in your determination to get to the start-line or over the finish-line even tho the body says 'no'.

That said, all of the above happens all the time. To me, enjoying your first is to be able to finish in reasonable fashion, having had a great, tough day with all the support and atmosphere, having given it all (within your limits), to get reasonably close towards a realistic goal, to get the reward for all the hard work from the past months.

Last year, a colleague of mine ran without much prep (he had a done a couple of marathons before, years ago). He went off like a rocket, crossed halfway in 1h50, and had a nightmare second half of >2h35 - walking most of it. He hated every step of the second half. He hasn't ran since. Enough said :)

Our fabulous mentor of 2015, DG, and all her predecessors before her, repeatedly talked about respect. Respecting the distance and the training required. Respecting the signals your body sends you. Respecting the conditions of the day itself. Especially to those of you who have not yet covered the distance or are coming in on a relatively light base, I want to say the same thing. You're signing up (or are about to sign up) for an epic, but enormous effort - there's no doing this half-heartedly. Running a marathon is hard! Training for your first marathon is even harder. Think back to your first half marathon and consider running the same distance again. Think back to the training you did, and double it, both in distances and times running. Madness! :D

In many of the responses to new novices joining, I suggested to already start structuring your training per the tried-and-tested plans, and to start increasing the mileage. Oh, yeah, and to slow down. This is all to do with the respect that's needed for this journey.

For those of you still contemplating which training program to use, I would urge you to make a choice and start thinking about the weeks ahead. Ideally follow one of the plans in use here, we'll be familiar with the plan and you'll have fellow novices doing the same routine - but that's obviously up to you (the more experienced club runners should follow their club's plan). Most of us have plenty of other things on in our lives, so make sure you plan ahead. I got a copy of the boards plan early as soon as last year's thread started, and got myself a spreadsheet, and started planning:
    • What will I do in the weeks until the program starts? The boards program hits half marathon distances from week 3 until week 16, every weekend (with the exception of the FD 10-miler). The HHN1 program has 9 12+ milers lined up from week 6 onwards. This is serious stuff - best to start increasing the long runs slowly already (a mile a week tops).
    • Which weeks will be a challenge due to holidays, work, vistors, other hobbies? It'll be hard to fit it all in. Start making notes and see where you need to possibly adapt the schedule.
    • Which week-days and weekend-days will work for me? We've mentioned it before, you don't have to follow the days per schedule, but you want to bring in some structure.

For reference, I have attached a screenshot of how my trusted spreadsheet ended up looking. It really helped me get to grips with the planning side of things - and to fully appreciate what I was about to sign up for. Especially during the summer months I had to rejig several weeks quite extensively. It's like a jig-saw, you're trying to fit all the pieces in the limited amount of time / space you have. The two key takeaways are: don't sweat it too much, and if you need to drop a run, don't feel bad about it, but try and keep the longer runs in.

Note (and I have said this to a few Novices) - you don't have to sign up for the full thing just yet. You have plenty of time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with coming along for the ride until the tune-up races in August and September. Especially if you haven't ran or raced a half marathon yet, the race-series events are really good goal in their own right. There'll always be DCM 2017.

A last point about races. :) Since we're about to embark on a training program for the marathon, most races and PB aspirations should be put on hold. Really!? Yes. :)

The program contains 2 tune-up races in August and September (10M and HM). I would hope you will all compete in these, if time and geography permits. If it doesn't suit, try and find similar races around similar times. Those races are superb events - in terms of perfecting your race preparation, racing strategy, and meeting fellow Novices, and honing the skill of a nice, juicy race report. Everybody has full permission to go at full tilt and translate all the hard work into some fine PBs. But… that's about it. We discussed this endlessly during last year's thread. If you're committing to the big day, that's where you focus needs to be. Don't blow it all on a race that's not your goal race.

Don't be tempted when you see your friends or training buddies churn out parkrun PBs on a regular basis, while you run much longer and much slower ("because this random internet dude told me so"). Even running races as "training" has the habit of backfiring. I personally can't do it, if I have a number of my chest and I see runners in front of me that I can have, I am gone. You need strong racing discipline to be able to run a race at LSR/easy pace - I would simply not put yourself in that position at all.

(Of course, there are exceptions - the local club's annual 10k, or you're holidaying somewhere spectacular and they have a parkrun / race. Again, don't sweat it. Work away. But the main point is to keep your eye on the price. The price is DCM in October!).

So, in summary:
    • Don't wait until the start of the training plans. Pick a plan, lay it out in front of you, adapt it to suit your needs, and start adding a few weeks at the start. The time is now!
    • Pick a race in mid/end June, a 10k or so, to get your last racing kick. Nail it, write a cool race report here, and then get stuck in the training plans. If you run regularly with others that are not doing DCM, let them know of your plans, so they won't give out to you for slowing them down (believe me, I have been there).
    • Respect the distance and the training plans. Adapt the plan so it works for you. Slow down.
    • Most of all, enjoy it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Right. Glad the thread is finally up, I actually posted here for advice on marathon training last October and it was the regulars here who convinced me to go for it. Read through the OP post just now, I'm actually relieved to see the recommended level of fitness because I seem to be at that level by now. The Hal Higdon plan is a godsend, come 27/6 I'll be following that to the letter. I don't really understand miles etc so any time I discuss weight or distance on here it'll all be in metric, that could just be due to me being under 30 so I hope there's no hard and fast imperial measurements rule here! Anyway, I'd better get on to answering the questions.

Christ. I have yeah. I was feckin hopeless. I won't bother putting down my finishing times from years ago. My most recent run times are 23 minute 5k, 53 minute 10k. I've only done one half marathon and it wasn't official. I clocked in at 2 hours, 29 minutes. Nothing earth shattering, but then there's a reason I'm posting in the novices thread! :pac:

See now, I've never done this. And if I was answering this question on any other day it'd be a flat out NO. But I'm just after getting four stitches removed from my leg, and went out for a 10k to celebrate. Had to stop after 8k and walk home. That having been said though, outside of injury I don't take walking breaks. So I guess my answer's no.

I aim to run 40k a week; 5k a day, with a 10k once a week. However it never goes to plan and I usually have a day or two where I've something on, or I'm just too wrecked or whatever. So realistically I cover 30-35k a week, and usually have one or two days of rest throughout. I've been running since February 2015 pretty consistently - the longest gap I've had since then was five weeks at the start of this year when I came down with the flu, and then found it difficult to motivate myself back into it after. I've found that the longer you're away from it, the more daunting getting back on the horse is. So now I just keep going.

I guess dream finishing time would be 4.5 hours. Ever since I started properly training towards a marathon last October I've wanted to finish it in under 5 hours, that might be more realistic of a goal. Being honest with myself though if I finish it at all I'll be happy.

I can always fit it in, unless something unscheduled pops up unexpectedly. So right now I'm wide open to following Hal's plan.

Initially it was because I can, to prove to myself that I could do it. Then I got involved with a charity, a community care unit run by the HSE. So now I'm doing it for them.

Great stuff nop, I can feel an evening of spreadsheet tinkering coming up! Coming back from holidays 14 weeks before the big day so will be kicking on from that date, have a weekend away just before the race series 1/2 marathon but looking clear apart from that.

I should have a decent base built up so should I jump into the appropriate week of the plan post holidays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Thanks Nop for that great post.. Looking forward to the challenge. Can't be sure.. but I recall earlier in thread there was a bit of the M Vs KM debate. Which will be planning using?

I'm sure this has been answered many, many times... but why is there such an emphasis on going slowly while training?

Firedance wrote: »
    Sorry TBO, I should have confirmed which plan you were doing first. If you are doing HH1 I don't see any reason why you couldn't swap Tuesdays and Wednesdays so do the slightly longer run on a Tuesday and the shorter one on a Wednesday. FBOT/Nop might confirm that that is okay to do, they're all easy runs its just that Wednesday builds up to your medium long run as the weeks go on. You don't have any speed work in HH1 so no need to worry about that, all your runs will be a similar pace within an 'easy range' which we will look at again closer to the plan start date. If however you have use of showers in work then you could do that and leave everything as is :) You should definitely do the runs in one go and not split them over a day.

I've swapped the Tuesdays and Wednesdays around in the spreadsheet. Haven't printed it yet, but will do.

On another note, I was on the official website this morning and noticed photos of a handful of people at the start line, with headphones and earphones. I presume they'd get picked up on this due to safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm sure this has been answered many, many times... but why is there such an emphasis on going slowly while training?

Because it's more important to do a lot of miles and if you go too fast you will wear yourself out and will eventually be unable to do all the miles, or get injured. I believe.

But then I know nothing so maybe wait until someone who knows what they're talking about answers. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

nop98 wrote: »
    We're up and running for about 2 weeks, and it's 6 weeks to the start of our 18 week training programs. In other words, yesterday was 24 weeks until the big day. :eek:

A last point about races. :) Since we're about to embark on a training program for the marathon, most races and PB aspirations should be put on hold. Really!? Yes. :)

Thanks for the great post nop, but now I'm worried :)

I'm due to run the Virgin 10k night run on Sunday, the Irish Runner 5 mile on 12th June and the Clontarf half on 9th July. The 10k fits nicely in my current training plan for the half as a designated race day.
    Even at this early stage should I take these 3 races easy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Because you need to let your muscles develop over time. For an example, if you do 5k a day and start slow, you'll gradually get faster. If you start out gunning it you'll just **** up your day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

**coming in from out in the cold to say hi and best of luck to this years novices***

This is something that will always come up. It kinda goes against the mantra that you would all have been brought up on of "giving it 110%" in most sports. There are plenty of reasons why running slow and controlled will actually make you perform better come marathon day

Here are some of the benefits of running easy:

- Building Muscle Capillaries (improving blood supply to the muscles and with this blood comes oxygen and nutrients required to keep going)

- Mithochondrial Development - for those who don't remember Leaving cert Biology these are the energy factories of the muscle cells. These are going to produce the energy needed to maximize performance on the day

-Increasing Aerobic Enzyme activity - These proteins will help make the mithochodria more efficient. The more efficient they are the less energy you are wasting on the day the more you have in those last few miles when you will do every dirty trick (save looking for a jockey back from people around you I hope)

- Glycogen storage development - This is going to be your fuel for your runs for the most part and it is about making sure you are a Prius and not a Hummer as you can only store so much so once its gone the "boinking will kick in" (I will come back to this point later as its an important one)

- Slow twitch muscle fibre recruitment - Come race day your muscle fibres will produce energy, fatigue and be discarded (to a point) the more you have that can work for you the more you will be able to discard before cramp etc kick in to bite you in the a$$.

Basically all these subtle things will be developed more and more as you build up your training.

So why does easy running do this better than running your best everyday?

For a few reasons. The first is that you need to start thinking of your body as a bank. For every easy run you do you are depositing aerobic benefits. These can be cashed in on race days or high intensity efforts at any stage. The more savings you have the more you can withdraw but unfortunately much like the IMF the body will always come back to collect any overdrafts and this is where recovery is needed.

The best form of specific training for any distance is running at race effort. Unfortunately the cost of this means that you will need to let the body recover and adapt (the harder and longer the effort the longer recovery).
    In the beginning this recovery will mean days off so if you go out and run your long run of 13 miles at Marathon pace you basically won't recover properly for a few days minimum meaning for every hard mile you do you are missing out on a training day. This is why we balance things with low intensity running. The general consensus is that your week should be 80% easy/low intensity and 20% high intensity. If you don't allow for this recovery this is when the niggles and illness start to take hold. They say the hardest part of a marathon is making the start line and this is usually the reason why. Remember this going forward as being sensible in your training will be a huge factor on your enjoying it and achieving your goals and keeping physios and sports therapists like myself with a roof over our heads :D

But what exactly constitutes low intensity?

Basically 55-70% of your max HR is a good guide for those using Heart rate monitors. To put that into perspective a well trained elite marathon runner might run close to 87% of their max on Race day.

To put it into figures for a 4 hr marathon runner your race pace on the day will be 9.08 min per mile pace roughly. Your easy pace then would be better off closer to 10.30 per mile.

Why will this help you more?

When running at this effort to come back to the point about glycogen (your bodies fuel source on the day) you are also working on fat oxidation. Basically this means you are training your body to tap into using fat as a fuel source. Why is this important? Well 1 gram of fat will actualy give off over double the amount of energy that 1 g of carbs or proteins will. Unfortunately your body can only hold approx. 2 hours worth of glycogen meaning that unless you are an elite Kenyan running close to the World record, at some point fat is going to be needed to some extent. By running easy we manage to dilute our fuel source to get a bit more out of our tank on the day.

I know it was said before but it can't be stressed enough run easier than you think you need to. Look at your training as peaks and troughs. Hard days hard and easy days easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Thanks Chris makes total sense,as you said very hard to not go at race pace when you are in an actual event.

You have pretty much answered another question I had about the SSE 1/2 Marathon....Sounds like from your past experience this should be taken as a very easy run.

I've signed up for the 3/4 as it fits in perfectly with the Hal Higdon plan, I did wonder if it was a wise decision but I plan (if all is still going well) to just get the 32k LSR done in the company of others without actually running with someone. I definitely plan to run it very slowly.

Advertisement