Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Vintage Tractor - No Tax Book

• 04-02-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am interested in buying a ford 4000 from a neighbour. It has no Tax book. He is not even sure of the registration and he never declared it off the road. I want to get it back on the road but not going to spend money on it unless it can be road legal . Anyone done this since the new rules came in. What do I have to do. Can you get a vehicle re-registered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I am interested in buying a ford 4000 from a neighbour. It has no Tax book. He is not even sure of the registration and he never declared it off the road. I want to get it back on the road but not going to spend money on it unless it can be road legal . Anyone done this since the new rules came in. What do I have to do. Can you get a vehicle re-registered.
    i believe that once you buy it you wont have to back tax it as its gone to a new owner (you). One you tax it for the first time you should then get a tax book in the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

If you don't have an idea of the reg no, you're kind of stuffed. Unless...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64234420

'....what i had to do was go the county archives office armed with chassis number make & model of vehicle & trawl through books for hours until i found the matching page & then off to the tax office fill in a form that the gardai have to stamp & then i was issued with new documents, thats the only way it can be done, the tax office wont have any records of your tractor you will have to go to the archives office in your county. '

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wicklow Hills

Sounds like a lot of hassle plus not sure what County it was registered in. Might be easier to come across old tax book for same make and model.........acts shifty... Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Just register it as a new import?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

nashmach wrote: »

What's the implications of this? I am in the same situation with a Ford i bought off a guy that imported years ago, but never registered it, i can insure it no problem, I just have the insurance company the chassis number, but now I can't tax it. Sorry if I have hijacked thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Sounds like a lot of hassle plus not sure what County it was registered in. Might be easier to come across old tax book for same make and model.........acts shifty... Thanks for replies.

It's a way of doing it, but God help you if you have an accident and get rumbled. Insurance co might not pay out if they feel they've been hoodwinked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

nashmach wrote: »
    Had to do same with my own here get as much detail as you can,make,model serial number i got a dealer to verify all those details by signing a letter with all those details on it brought it to revenue office registered it cost €200 lids with them then €56 for vintage tax

Advertisement