Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enclosed chain came off

Options
  • 08-12-2015 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

So the enclosed chain came off my wife's bike.
    It's a cheap, lightweight single-speed Cinzia Bombi that has served her well up until now.

The chain seems to have fallen off the front chainring. There is no obvious way of opening the enclosure without destroying it. Anyone ever deal with one of these?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/86377/84665.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

I dunno but maybe you have to take the crank off?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The chain case will be held together with clips and/or small screws. It's difficult to advise precisely without seeing proper close-up pics of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bigger pic found.

The case will come off over the crank, with the pedal removed, although you probably won't have to take it off completely to get the chain back on.

26-retro_-bombi-donna.jpg

(source pic has now disappeared)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

thanks Lumen.
    Can't see any liittle clips or bolts, maybe it's just clamped together with glue and rust. I'll take off the pedal and try prising it open!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What's it like in the other side ? Can you lift the chain up with a rod/ screwdriver and get it on to the ring ?

• Advertisement

afraid not - looks like zero access.
    (well a tiny tiny bit, but barely wiggle room for a screwdriver)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Before you go damaging the cover, loosen the bolts on the drop outs and place the bike on its side - (the opposite side to the side the chain has come off). Turn the pedals and see if this will engage it. The chain may be worn - either replace it on move the wheel further back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

The cover should just pop off.
    If you look at the attached photo and there is no slide out piece(I cannot see it on your pic) You will have to remove the pedal to get it off completely.
    If you slide a blade around the edge just clean out any dirt which is causing a seal you should be able to pop it off with a bit pf pressure. Although it seems flimsy it is harder than u think to damage it. ( I have removed a few rusted in for years on High Nellys)

thanks all - I'll get a chance to look at it tonight.
    I'll look for a slide out piece but don't recall seeing one.
    The enclosure feels very flimsy but a blade will probably free up both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

No help to you but this type of situation does bring to mind the great Douglas Adams;

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair"

• Advertisement

The blade slide, pop off approach worked.
    However, after putting it all back together it wasn't long before the chain popped off again. The back wheel has a buckle which seems to be dragging the chain out of line. Can these wheels be repaired/trued or is it whee- replacement time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

The wheel can be sorted but the buckle in the wheel should not effect Chain Tension if the axle nuts are tight enough to prevent the hub moving.
    My guess is that you have Chain Stretch and that the axle nuts are not holding everything in place once you put pressure on the pedals.
    Getting the axle nuts tightened enough means tighten, tighten and tighten again
    Again I only going on experience with Old High Nelly but they all had a Chain tensioner . Looking at the Photo posted above there does not seem to be one might be worth looking into.

Advertisement