Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ratoath as a place to live? Would you? If so, what estates?

• 04-09-2010 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi All

My wife and I are currently considering moving to Ratoath (renting initially with a view to buying, if we like it) and would really appreciate some local opinions on the village. What's it like as a place to live, how are local facilities (sporting, social etc), how are schools, would you recommend it as a place to live etc?!!

If so, what estates would you recommend we consider? We're hoping to rent a 3/4-bed (as opposed to an apartment).... We've taken a drive around and liked parts of the Steeplechase development, Meadowbank and Fox Lodge Woods; but would appreciate any comments people have!!

We both work in Dublin - I'm at Spencer Dock, so the train from M3 Parkway is ideal. As a matter of interest, how is traffic on the Fairyhouse Road? My wife's a midwife in the Coombe, so her hours are either side of peak times. I'm assuming 30-40 mins is the likely trip (starting at 7.30am, finishing at 8.30pm)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ed smile.gif

PS - I've also posted this to the Meath forum, so apologies for the duplication. Just keen to get some feedback!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Ratoath, like Ashbourne is overpopulated now.
    Have a drive around and see if you agree.
    Public transport is terrible.
    If you are driving, traffic at peak times going to/from Dublin is terrible.
    Its no so bad now since the recession, but never fear it will be back to its worst when there is any recovery.

If you are using parkway, be prepared for ever increasing parking charges as it gets more popular. Add up how much your commuter tickets will cost and then add petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Hi OP,

I have lived in Ratoath for the past 5 years and love it here. It is not 'overpopulated' and to be blunt is nothing like Ashbourne. Ashbourne is a huge area and seen a massive amount of building, especially big multi unit developments which accounts for the high population there, Ashbourne has a lot of good points but I wouldnt live there.

Ratoath is a lovely village with friendly people and has everything you need in the village but is still within a short distance from blanchardstown/city etc. Obviously there were new estates built in the boom years but Ratoath did have a cap which meant that it wasnt a mad free for all to build 50,000 apts in a tiny area. The estates are all generally well built and nice estates in keeping with the area so thankfully we arent left with sprawling ghost estates.

The traffic to and from Dublin is grand now compared to when we first moved here thanks to the new M3 which opened, even when the works commenced which was not long after we moved to ratoath the addition of the roundabout at the fairyhouse turnoff onto main road made a huge difference. Plus you also have the M2 which again I have never encountered a traffic jam on and the interchange with the m50 is finished now so that will only improve things more. The bus service is not great, but in saying that has got a lot better since we moved here first. Only thing I hate about it is the fact that there are 2 different pick up points and timetables, and these seems to always be arseways. Plus the bus eireann drivers have a habit of leaving early, like a good 5 or 10 mins so you have to be at the stop with plenty of time to spare. The rail link to dublin will be opening in dunboyne and hopefully further improvements will be made with the public transport but this is something that local people need to get onto the councillors about.

No kids so dont know about schools but perhaps arrange to have a look round both, there is also a gaelscoil being discussed for the area.

In terms of things to do, there is the community centre and venue theatre. The theatre is good and has lots on throughout the year. There are a few pubs, I find the Old Stand the nicest but Ryans is known for its steak! Couple of great restaurants as well so you have your pick there!

If you would like anymore info feel free to pm me, I can give more info on one of the estates you mention :)

All in all we love it here, my family are all southside dublin and it takes me approx 35/40 mins to get there going through town. With all the road improvements across the n2 and n3 this has just made the area a lot more attractive.

Sorry forgot to mention sporting stuff...there is a lot in the area, Ratoath harps football club, Rugby club, pitch and putt course...there is meant to be a bmx park opening up too.
    I mentioned the community centre- there are also a lot of classes held here, details in the reception area and they send out regular newsletters.

There you go OP.
    Whenever someone mentions "the community center" when saying how great a place is, you know there is not much going on there :)

Dont take anyones word for it though.
    Have a drive around. Stay in a B&B on a week night and see how you do going to work.

Im originally from Ratoath and live only down the road now and the family still live there. The village feel is definitely gone. So if thats what you are after, go there a few evenings and see if it feels like what you want.

And wait a while and see how much traffic is going from the M2 and M3 to dunboyne once news of the train station becomes more widespread.

There you go OP.
    Whenever someone mentions "the community center" when saying how great a place is, you know there is not much going on there :)

Dont take anyones word for it though.
    Have a drive around. Stay in a B&B on a week night and see how you do going to work.

Im originally from Ratoath and live only down the road now and the family still live there. The village feel is definitely gone. So if thats what you are after, go there a few evenings and see if it feels like what you want.

And wait a while and see how much traffic is going from the M2 and M3 to dunboyne once news of the train station becomes more widespread.

with respect i didnt say the community centre was 'great' merely that there was one there and there is a lot of different things going on there which might be of interest to the op. no need to be patronising.

• Advertisement

Jennypops wrote: »
    with respect i didnt say the community centre was 'great' merely that there was one there and there is a lot of different things going on there which might be of interest to the op. no need to be patronising.

I didnt say you said the community center was great :)

Im merely pointing out to the OP that life in Ratoath might not be what they think it is and that they should really test it out to see if its to their liking before moving there. The same applies to anywhere.

the op asked for peoples opinions on the area and i was giving as much info as i could regarding amenities in the area...you are free to give your opinions on the area but you dont need to make snide comments about another post. the com centre is part of ratoath along with all the other things i mentioned- so i fail to see why you felt it necessary to comment specifically on the mention of a com centre!!
    and theres not going to be a sudden massive increase in traffic on the roads with dunboyne station- obviously a train station will impact on dunboyne village but the improvements to the main roads and interchanges etc have only been of benefit...and i spent long enough on cold dark mornings waiting to pull out from the fairyhouse turn off..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated!

If anyone has anything else to add, please shout :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont live in ratoath i live in duleek which is 20 mins north of ashbourne. I know loads of people that live in ashbourne and ratoath and this is there general view,

Ratoath is nice generally all houseing, a good community spirit but a crap transport system if you rely on public.

Ashbourne is Built up. But has shops supermarkets cheap petrol(apple) it has community if you live in the right area however due to the amount of "transient" workers it also has a lot of apartments and i imagine no community spirit here.. It also has a community centre but more importantly a community collage. There is a bus eireann every half hour to dublin

If i was moving again. my view... The housing is"bigger" in rathoath but the services are better in ashbourne.

IMO nothing wrong with either area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

If my wife and I worked in Dublin city there is no way I would be moving to either Ratoath or Ashbourne.

OP: Where are you from originally? Where are you living now? What is behind your reason to want to move to Ratoath :confused:

• Advertisement

Hi amdublin

We're originally from Kilkenny (hence the username :D) and Galway respectively. After spending almost 15 years living in Dublin (currently Castleknock area), we'd like to get out into the country a little bit. Having considered all the options in Kildare, South Dublin and Wicklow, we think Ratoath is a workable alternative as both of us can be to work from there in c.45 minutes.

In the longer term (assuming we like the area etc), we'd probably consider buying a house a few miles from the village; but for now, happy to at least give commuting a try for 6-12 months. If it doesn't work out, so be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

As long as you're not moving out there for the sake of 'cheaper housing' but rather for a lifestyle change including your new commute.

Just realise some things as Joey The Lips stated are not fully available in some outlying towns, be prepared for drawbacks as well as positives for the lifestyle change.

joey the lips has it spot on! there are more services in ashbourne and it only takes 5 mins in the car to get over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I live in Ashbourne. Public transport is rubbish but other than that I like it.
    If I leave the house at 7.30am it takes about 35 minutes to drive to Capel Street. Getting home takes about 10 mins more usually.

god the bus service in ashbourne is ten million times better than ratoath!! you guys have regular buses that turn up! we have buses that might turn up but will leave 15 mins before the scheduled departure!

BC wrote: »
    I live in Ashbourne. Public transport is rubbish but other than that I like it.
    If I leave the house at 7.30am it takes about 35 minutes to drive to Capel Street. Getting home takes about 10 mins more usually.

why is it rubbish... Its every half hour and drops you to store street. only 10 min walk to caple street. Its about 10 euro one way which is dear but when you consider you have no city parking and the service is every half hour....I am stumped why you say its rubbish...

Thanks again everyone. Our proposed move to Ratoath is very much a lifestyle one, and the increased commute is something we are really cognisant of. That said, it looks manageable for both of us; but 6-12 months of doing it will tell a lot ;)

Decision made... Ratoath here we come :)

Yay new neighbour!

Good choice..

• Advertisement
Advertisement