Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kevtherev1

• spacetweek wrote: »
      Sounds like this has started but no official announcement from the construction company?
    The greens wont be happy, wanted to block this, new roads being built etc

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

spacetweek wrote: »
    Sounds like this has started but no official announcement from the construction company?

Yes and no project website I can see yet - Isn't that a requirement these days?

Staying with N5 upgrades, it was tweeted today by CIS that the Ballaghdereen-Scramogue upgrade is out to tender!

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1220667679851393024?s=20

Does that bode well for this scheme starting this year maybe Q3?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Yes and no project website I can see yet - Isn't that a requirement these days?

Staying with N5 upgrades, it was tweeted today by CIS that the Ballaghdereen-Scramogue upgrade is out to tender!

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1220667679851393024?s=20
    M

Does that bode well for this scheme starting this year maybe Q3?

Early next year. More info in the relevant thread as it progresses

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I've looked at current journey times including town congestion using Gmaps on the N5, end to end from Longford to Westport.
    I've compared to what we can expect when the new roads are open (assume 100km/h can be sustained with little or no interruption.)

Journey times
    Around 2000, before C'town, B'derreen, Longford N5 bypasses: 2 hours
    After those: 1h 42min
    By 2024 when new roads are complete: 1h 19min.

That's a 23 minute saving in time! Very worthwhile and will be a game changer from the far west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

spacetweek wrote:

Yes. A lot of BAM. Site offices/cabins being installed on the Ballonrobe road. Along with those hight guide things on the route.
    We are close to calling this under construction I would say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 djam17

One would have thought Ring would have used this as a perfect camera opportunity/turning of the sod pre-election. A few weeks to go yet i suppose

Prep work going on at the junction with the present N5 at Pheasanthill now.
    Also Lennon's have planning in for a temporary quarry operation at Ballymacrah to service the project

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yep the last ****e bits of the N5 are getting upgraded and it’s very welcome. Same attention now needs to turn to the remaining awful sections of N Primary routes

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Machine in action at N60 junction today

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157141796503262&id=187794613261

Hopefully they'll build the whole road this quickly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cheers where's that exactly on the Breaffy road?

Can't picture it!

• Advertisement

Where the new road crosses the N60, about 400 metres east of Kilkenny cross roundabout.
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Cheers where's that exactly on the Breaffy road?

Can't picture it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

djam17 wrote: »
    One would have thought Ring would have used this as a perfect camera opportunity/turning of the sod pre-election. A few weeks to go yet i suppose

Hes guaranteed for re-election regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

He should have been a surgeon...🀭

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Are they squeezing the dual carriageway in between those two houses - or are they taking a few houses down? Looks an incredibly tight space for four lanes of road and possibly hard shoulders.

Edit - I see this has been answered over in the Mayo forum, three houses to come down at the new junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Only hedgerow clearance yet before the 1st of March ban. It'll be a little while more before the main work starts on construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Only hedgerow clearance yet before the 1st of March ban. It'll be a little while more before the main work starts on construction.

Judging by the amount of water on the land. If they start digging it will be mud bath.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I thought I saw they have started clearing down the road at the back of Islandeady. Then again its probably just a mud bath! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They can get exemptions on the hedgerow clearance if they need to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

CIS newsletter confirming main works will start in March and take 36 months to complete.

Not too much action yet on this project, this pic is at junction with existing N5 coming in to Westport.

From what I can see in and around W'port, all trees have been cut along the route, and all live power lines have been marked with red and white banners. Several site accesses have also been opened up.

The site is a complete mudbath, so it might be a while before the real digging starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Not too much action yet on this project, this pic is at junction with existing N5 coming in to Westport.

From what I can see in and around W'port, all trees have been cut along the route, and all live power lines have been marked with red and white banners. Several site accesses have also been opened up.

The site is a complete mudbath, so it might be a while before the real digging starts.

I'd imagine the COVID 19 public health crisis will impede progress significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I wonder whether we have actually passed the point of no return, where this road project will have to happen in terms of contracts being signed etc. or whether the Greater need to invest in health services in the next year and to rebuild the economy afterwards might result in this being canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I wonder whether we have actually passed the point of no return, where this road project will have to happen in terms of contracts being signed etc. or whether the Greater need to invest in health services in the next year and to rebuild the economy afterwards might result in this being canned.

It's too far down the road. BAM will sue if it doest start. So your going to lose the money anyways.

Hard to know. I would have thought sitting in a digger or dumper in the open air would be some of the safest places to be. With minor precautions taken. There is a lot of work that could continue. But who knows.

View today of BAM compound at future N5/N84 junction in Castlebar. No activity but it is St Patrick's Day after all.

Diggers on site this afternoon at Islandeady :)

They were being delivered today despite the bank holiday, a third one was brought in on a low loader as I was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hyland17

That crew are ya putting in silt traps. All the silt fencing along the job they are doing it. Theres another crew and they are concreteing the roads where the dump trucks are crossing. There is still a little bit more work for doing before the main works begin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Map of the scheme - route based on the EIS maps.

49700757888_c659afb3db_b.jpg
    N5 Turlough - Westport on Flickr

Advertisement