Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

My understanding was all premier clubs agreed to 1 up - 1 down and thus would have won any vote 10/9. But the Rovers delegate voted with the FD Clubs making it. 10/9 the other way. Ridiculous though that the FAI can’t decide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The FAI cannot make the decision as the clubs signed up to a contract of participation at the start of the season and would be entitled to compensation for any loss of income due to the reduced format if it was a sole decision made by the FAI. It will mean all clubs have to agree to the change, which is not the case. Yesterdays attempt was a lame one.....funny how the old FAIs best friends are the ones to rock the boat....
    Yesterday was about 2 things.....
    1. The old FAI getting one over attempts to reform
    2. Rovers trying to manouver themselves into a position where they have the best chance to win the LOI as the obviously dont believe they can do it over a normal season

As a Dundalk fan, I can safely say there's very few Rovers fans or any players or management who don't or didn't believe they could win the league this season

This kind of ****ing nonsense annoys me

Fair enough they could well be doing it for the clubs benefit to keep 2 teams etc but that ****e needs to be called out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Yesterdays attempt was a lame one.....funny how the old FAIs best friends are the ones to rock the boat....Yesterday was about 2 things.....
    1. The old FAI getting one over attempts to reform
    2. Rovers trying to manouver themselves into a position where they have the best chance to win the LOI as the obviously dont believe they can do it over a normal season

You keep 'hinting' at some sort of favouritism, conspiracy or relationship on the restart involving primarily Rovers and/or FAI without any evidence. This will be considered trolling to continue to do so.

The vote had no impact on Rovers' position to win the league.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

The Hope yesterday to the embarrassment today.

Embarrassment? Who is watching and judging the LOI at the moment?

Are the financial markets "losing confidence" in our "product"? Are the other sports laughing as they beg for money as well?
    When I heard the news yesterday, although I would have liked more games, football was back in some shape and we could have a LOI season played out on the pitch, at least our clubs will get a few games in before Europe if it kicks off on 31 July, I was ****ing delighted.

Today im ashamed to be a LOI fan again.

You showed your hand with the first bit, and then tried to make a dramatic comment about the LOI in general.

You're doing the exact same thing that fans of my own club and many others are doing; pretending to speak for the league but actually speaking for yourself and your club.

I'd be ashamed to be an EPL fan, but I don't follow that shìtshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

The voting makes little sense to me and seems to be some shinanigans going on. Let's be honest, clubs ALWAYS vote in their self interest but Dundalk and Rovers seem to have voted in an opposite way than you'd expect. I'd imagine Rovers decision was some kind of olive branch to the first division clubs for their B team but can't figure out what Dundalk's motivation is

Embarrassment? Who is watching and judging the LOI at the moment?

Are the financial markets "losing confidence" in our "product"? Are the other sports laughing as they beg for money as well?

You showed your hand with the first bit, and then tried to make a dramatic comment about the LOI in general.

You're doing the exact same thing that fans of my own club and many others are doing; pretending to speak for the league but actually speaking for yourself and your club.

I'd be ashamed to be an EPL fan, but I don't follow that shìtshow.

No im embarrassed as we are still the only country in Europe with no plan. The "NEW FAI" are as bad as the ****ing clowns who have left the show (although most still are there)

I love LOI football, If Dundalk have no game on a Friday night, I would go watch Drogheda if they were at home or take a game in, in Dublin.
    Ive been to Showgrounds on many a Saturday night to watch a game, so dont you tell me who im speaking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So what was the point of the vote?

:confused:

No im embarrassed as we are still the only country in Europe with no plan.

That line continues to be trotted out as if it means something, and it remains absolutely meaningless.

Several leagues around Europe came up with a "plan" very quickly and they'll be dealing with the consequences long after we've restarted.

• Advertisement

That line continues to be trotted out as if it means something, and it remains absolutely meaningless.

Several leagues around Europe came up with a "plan" very quickly and they'll be dealing with the consequences long after we've restarted.

We cant even start planning for any consequences for the long term on how clubs can get through it all. We need to get back playing football ASAP for the benefit of Irish football as a whole.

Jack Byrne could have been what Ireland needed to unlock a team in the last 20 of the Semi Final or Final Ireland have coming up, more than likely he wont even get in the squad cause he wont have played much (any at this rate) football.

doncarlos wrote: »
    The voting makes little sense to me and seems to be some shinanigans going on. Let's be honest, clubs ALWAYS vote in their self interest but Dundalk and Rovers seem to have voted in an opposite way than you'd expect. I'd imagine Rovers decision was some kind of olive branch to the first division clubs for their B team but can't figure out what Dundalk's motivation is

I didn’t know Dundalk voted with Rovers

We cant even start planning for any consequences for the long term on how clubs can get through it all.

That sentence is gibberish and you missed the point. A number of leagues have created consequences for themselves (legal and financial) by forcing through decisions quickly without consensus. That's "embarrassing".
    We need to get back playing football ASAP for the benefit of Irish football as a whole.

More empty language with zero explanation.

We need to get back in a way that protects the existence of clubs throughout the league, which is difficult because of the differences in finances and priorities across the league. Hence the long process so far.
    Jack Byrne could have been what Ireland needed to unlock a team in the last 20 of the Semi Final or Final Ireland have coming up,

The argument gets a bit desperate when you have to shift it this far; to a national team that many of us couldn't give a bollix about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

That sentence is gibberish and you missed the point. A number of leagues have created consequences for themselves (legal and financial) by forcing through decisions quickly without consensus. That's "embarrassing".

More empty language with zero explanation.

We need to get back in a way that protects the existence of clubs throughout the league, which is difficult because of the differences in finances and priorities across the league. Hence the long process so far.

The argument gets a bit desperate when you have to shift it this far; to a national team that many of us couldn't give a bollix about.

So you dont agree that getting back to playing football ASAP is the number 1 priority.

This is fellas careers, and they have kids, mortgages.

The FAI need to come out tonight and say the way we said other night is the way we are going, end of story. Dont want to play fair enough you can reapply to play in the 1st Division next season.

If 5 or 6 teams drop out fine, deal with it. The teams and clubs who want to play should be allowed play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

wadacrack wrote: »

How will that work with 14 days quarantine on their return as it stands?

FAI Board approve the decision made the other day.

Now we are back on until some other club(s) object

joeysoap wrote: »
    I didn’t know Dundalk voted with Rovers

Rovers voted in the way you'd expect Dundalk to vote and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

grayzer75 wrote: »

Rovers special tier FAI insiders to run their own personalised quarantine regime in the free SDCC stadium, OBVS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Doubt they'll have to quarantine. Players are being tested and I'd assume they'll all be tested once home and told self isolate until results are known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Doubt they'll have to quarantine. Players are being tested and I'd assume they'll all be tested once home and told self isolate until results are known.

https://www.the42.ie/fai-covid-19-5128363-Jun2020/

They have suspended the testing programme and I doubt many clubs will be in a position to pay for tests themselves.

If you are legally oblieged to go into quarantine....regardless of who you are you will have to do it. Otherwise you are making a mockery of the law in place.

Rovers voted in the way you'd expect Dundalk to vote and vice versa

No, don’t get it.

Did Dundalk vote for a playoff or not?

Afaik Sligo only mentioned Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

https://www.the42.ie/fai-covid-19-5128363-Jun2020/

They have suspended the testing programme and I doubt many clubs will be in a position to pay for tests themselves.

If you are legally oblieged to go into quarantine....regardless of who you are you will have to do it. Otherwise you are making a mockery of the law in place.

Testing has been factored in (at the clubs own expense) to accommodate the friendly if such guidelines are still in place at the time. The quarantine is to be reviewed for July 9th.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Dundalk a running a trial streaming this morning for anyone on the Patreon Scheme - streaming a full 11 v 11 training match. Must be doing it as a test run for when the league recommences.

Dundalk a running a trial streaming this morning for anyone on the Patreon Scheme - streaming a full 11 v 11 training match. Must be doing it as a test run for when the league recommences.

Thanks for that Grayzer. Logged in just on time to see the goal. stream is excellent quality. One of the ‘away’ players seems to have a big bandage on his head ( half time came before I got his number)

Thanks for that Grayzer. Logged in just on time to see the goal. stream is excellent quality. One of the ‘away’ players seems to have a big bandage on his head ( half time came before I got his number)

They just need to add the time on screen and update the score in real time but other than that the feed quality is excellent.

A few glitches, but otherwise good.

Just watched the game. Had a bit of blurring on full screen however all in all a very stable stream. Certainly, a nice extra.

Was Cleary, he was wearing one of the Dundalk face masks as a hairband

No McEleney? Surely couldn't be injured

Not 100% on teams but looks like:

Dundalk home: Rogers; Gannon, Gartland, Boyle, Massey; Shields, Sloggett; Mountney, Colovic, Oduwa; Hoban

Dundalk away: McCarey, Dummigan, Hoare, Cleary, Leahy; Murray, Flores, D Kelly, Patching, Duffy, G Kelly.

Some squad in fairness

• Advertisement

Thought the stream was a bit poor but watching it on a VPN through work's internet so maybe that was the issue

Standard of the football was very good for a 0-0 game

Can't beat working from home :)

Was Cleary, he was wearing one of the Dundalk face masks as a hairband

No McEleney? Surely couldn't be injured

Not 100% on teams but looks like:

Dundalk home: Rogers; Gannon, Gartland, Boyle, Massey; Shields, Sloggett; Mountney, Colovic, Oduwa; Hoban

Dundalk away: McCarey, Dummigan, Hoare, Cleary, Leahy; Murray, Flores, D Kelly, Patching, Duffy, G Kelly.

Some squad in fairness

Dundalk FC White
    1. Gary Rogers
    2. Sean Gannon
    3. Brian Gartland
    44. Andy Boyle
    14. Dane Massey
    5. Chris Shields
    10. Greg Sloggett
    8. John Mountney
    9. Stefan Colovic
    17. Nathan Oduwa
    9. Patrick Hoban

Dundalk FC Black
    30. Jimmy Corcoran
    23. Cameron Dummigan
    21. Daniel Cleary
    4. Andrew Quinn
    15. Darragh Leahy
    06. Jordan Flores
    16. Sean Murray
    27. Daniel Kelly
    18. Will Patching
    7. Michael Duffy
    12. Georgie Kelly

Substitutes
    28 Lido Lotefa
    25 Taner Dogan
    20 Josh Gatt (black)
    24 Josh Gatt (white)

Jimmy Corcoran looked very good in goals, as did Andrew Quinn playing centre half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

If rumours are to be believed....he is working in the UK for one of their shareholders. Need we say anymore???

Surprise surprise once again one of your rumours is a load of rubbish. He's rumoured to be working for Denis O'Brien, a man who does not have anything to do with Rovers. Need we say more

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Surprise surprise once again one of your rumours is a load of rubbish. He's rumoured to be working for Denis O'Brien, a man who does not have anything to do with Rovers. Need we say more

Sorry I forgot to ask you for the inside info. Maybe you should rent a private jet...heard he is offering good deals to allies and it certainly aint Denis O´Briens company nor his jet that is being chartered.

Shamrock Rovers have openly stated their preference for a 27 game season, and a one Vincent Perth said on off the ball that he believed that having a relegation playoff was what was best for sporting integrity in the league and that Dundalk only went with one up one down because it was the majority view. So once again, try again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod Notes: 1) Please avoid posting rumours about individuals outside the league. If it is something relevant to the league it should be information that can be provided with a source. Without a source it will be viewed as deliberate disruption of the thread.

2) There was already a mod request to stop the 'hinting' at some sort of favouritism, conspiracy or relationship on the restart involving primarily Rovers and/or FAI without any evidence. This will be considered trolling to continue to do so.

In case anyone missed the previous note: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113911842&postcount=1578

I appreciate people may want to challenge views expressed but we need to move past it as a mod has already asked for that to stop. Challenging views now will bring the topic back and would fall into ignoring a mod instruction.

In line with the charter please use the PM facility if anyone requires clarification.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Shamrock Rovers have openly stated their preference for a 27 game season, and a one Vincent Perth said on off the ball that he believed that having a relegation playoff was what was best for sporting integrity in the league and that Dundalk only went with one up one down because it was the majority view. So once again, try again

Bottom line: Dundalk voted in line with the wishes of the other 8 FD clubs, Rovers didn’t.

Bottom line: Dundalk voted in line with the wishes of the other 8 FD clubs, Rovers didn’t.

Well that's just not a correct statement is it...

Even if I take a guess at what you're trying to say then all I'll say is if everyone else was jumping off a cliff would you jump too?

And thatll be all I have to say on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

im glad the league is coming back but I wouldn't watch matches on a stream,would watch if it was on RTE. im either in the stadium or wont be watching. They need to forget about not allowing crowds, just make everyone wear a mask or something.

are RTE going to be showing any games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

I see a few clubs have GoFundMe pages set up. Gave something to each of them myself as i always like to try and support any of the clubs when i can.

I'm a bit surprised more didn't go down that line for the last few months though. Will it becmome a normal thing going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

[QUOTE=pgj2015;113931435]im glad the league is coming back but I wouldn't watch matches on a stream,would watch if it was on RTE. im either in the stadium or wont be watching. They need to forget about not allowing crowds, just make everyone wear a mask or something.

are RTE going to be showing any games?[/QUOTE]

Either would I tbh, the novelty will wear off very quickly. I cant see it being sustainable at all. Maybe if their was a league pass it might work. But buying a streaming service for one club is going to be very poor value

r
    cms88 wrote: »
    I see a few clubs have GoFundMe pages set up. Gave something to each of them myself as i always like to try and support any of the clubs when i can.

I'm a bit surprised more didn't go down that line for the last few months though. Will it becmome a normal thing going forward?

Dundalk and Waterford going the patreon route. Dundalk are €15 amonth+ vat. waterford I believe €7 + vat,

Dundalk have just under 250 members at present, I don’t know about Waterford ( or others )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

r

Dundalk and Waterford going the patreon route. Dundalk are €15 amonth+ vat. waterford I believe €7 + vat,

Dundalk have just under 250 members at present, I don’t know about Waterford ( or others )
    I know we also pushed the 500club at the start of this which was relaunched this year, up to around 250 members last i heard at 25e/month, but i dont think it was that far off 200 before covid.

Have to say it (again), sligos fund raising is just phenominal, up to 64k now with 1200 donations. I think fehily from westlife put in 2500 but not heard much else in terms of large sums. Harps at 22k (despite starting earlier) with 500 or so donations. Bray approaching 3k in 3days. Waterford had a donate your ticket back at the start which is at 11k, bohs similiar 'virtual sell out' at the same figure although dont think the last 2 have been pushed much. Not sure of any others out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

wadacrack wrote: »
    Either would I tbh, the novelty will wear off very quickly. I cant see it being sustainable at all. Maybe if their was a league pass it might work. But buying a streaming service for one club is going to be very poor value

I'd love regular streaming of matches, especially away games. With most games on Friday nights driving the length of the country isn't always possible so to watch Harps games every other Friday online would be amazing. Would definitely pay for a good quality stream.

• Advertisement

Sligo figures are just phenomenal, Finn Harps punching well above their weight too. I think Shamrock Rovers have run a pretty good one too.

TBH I’d be surprised if every club didn’t have some sort of fundraiser.

I’d be happier if the Patreon VAT went to the clubs and not to the Revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

overshoot wrote: »

Have to say it (again), sligos fund raising is just phenominal, up to 64k now with 1200 donations. I think fehily from westlife put in 2500 but not heard much else in terms of large sums. Harps at 22k (despite starting earlier) with 500 or so donations. Bray approaching 3k in 3days. Waterford had a donate your ticket back at the start which is at 11k, bohs similiar 'virtual sell out' at the same figure although dont think the last 2 have been pushed much. Not sure of any others out there

The Bohs one is actually just myself and a mate on our own, with another pal helping us do some artwork. The club can’t officially back it because they’ve endeavored to pay the players throughout this so it really limits what we could do. It has to be for our supporters trust rather than Bohs FC and basically the 11K we raised is just from me and him annoying our mates on our personal FB and twitter pages. It’s tough but we made a lot more than we thought we would. Our initial goal was €3,640 which equals €1 per seat in Dalymount at present. Anything after that has been a bonus.

Frendlies behind closed doors. We may get used to it. 500 isn’t all that greater (when it comes) though it will generate some atmosphere. Derry and Bohs ( well, we were never going to see a Rovers friendly, were we?)

https://www.dundalkfc.com/lilywhites-behind-closed-doors/

Sligo figures are just phenomenal, Finn Harps punching well above their weight too. I think Shamrock Rovers have run a pretty good one too.

TBH I’d be surprised if every club didn’t have some sort of fundraiser.

I’d be happier if the Patreon VAT went to the clubs and not to the Revenue

I always viewed Sligo as the model for a regional club. Their fundraising and entrenchment in the community is remarkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I always viewed Sligo as the model for a regional club. Their fundraising and entrenchment in the community is remarkable

The new people’s club?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement