Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Card Skimming in Galway City Supermarket

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

From the ATM apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

My mate got his card skimmed out in the Terryland area. He uses both Tesco and Dunnes so he's not sure where exactly but he never shops in Knocknacarra.

Safest thing is keep an eye on the transactions on your account for the next few months regardless of where you shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭pokerkingsni

Just found out last night my dad got his bank account wiped out. Tho the bank will have it sorted and back in his account on Monday. Think it was Dunnes they got his details from, thats the only place he's used....we think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

From the ATM apparently.

So the machine was fitted with a device to read the magnetic strip and camera to observe pin entered in broad daylight and in front of staff in the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Yup, and in Joyces nobody even noticed them do it to all of the tills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

kraggy wrote: »
    So the machine was fitted with a device to read the magnetic strip and camera to observe pin entered in broad daylight and in front of staff in the shop?
    You don't need a camera, the pin gets punted up with the details for verification at point of sale, right up the phone lines. Now I'm assuming its encrypted, lets say it is, so:
    1) You need professional con artists with solid brass balls to go in and sway the manager, presumably calling first to clear things, you can't just wander in and start fiddling with the tills. They also had authentic looking ID and probably a backup number managers could call to authenticate them.
    2) They had decryption details from the banks
    3) They had reverse engineered one of these credit card machines to the extent that they were able to patch it with hardware and split the message so it gets sent both to the bank and to a network of I'm assuming proxied (zombie) servers which would be very hard to trace, all without raising any red flags from the bank machines.
    4) They had to assume they would be caught eventually, so the con artists are long gone to another country, where no doubt another job awaits them

This paints a very, very scary picture of a sophisticated and well oiled criminal group which deliberately targeted credit card machines en masse, all at the same time. So yeah, Russian mafia. How many other criminal groups do you know that have the wherewithal to manufacture electronics?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yup, and in Joyces nobody even noticed them do it to all of the tills.

Much as i hate to defend Joyces, it was anther large supermarket in Knocknacarra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

well, it seems now that a few places around the town were hit.

Joyces was one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

they say violent movies are making kids more violent

hmmm is oceans 11 12 and 13 making the adults think of scam ideas??

the revolution will not be televised!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Much as i hate to defend Joyces, it was anther large supermarket in Knocknacarra.

Your information is incorrect Dunnes was not hit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

I know of people who had to cancel their cards because they shopped in Next and Boots recently, looks like it was a lot more widespread than just the supermarkets. I really wish they'd just give a list of all the shops involved:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Nope, you're wrong. 9 out of 10 cases were Joyce's. Several were Dunnes Knocknacarra. And then there's a few that are neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Hairdo

I got skimmed in the Statoil station in Newcastle week before last. Only about €50 was taken, fortunately, and the bank will reimburse me. But there are a lot more places hit by this then we know, I think. It is quite scary indeed..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I am being issued with a new Laser and PIN, just in case.
    P-TSBs own suggestion. Fair play.

Folks, go inside the banks for ATMs. Take out all the cash you'll need for a few days.
    Pay everything in cash. Cash is King :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭funkycat83

*Thankfully* i have been out of the country since june, and now i am home iv been so broke that i havent been able to use either credit or lazer, however i would like to see the look on their faces if they did try to rob me, im so overdrawn and maxed out they wouldnt get a cent ha ha !!

Did it start before june? did some news report say may? do i need to get a new card i do wonder??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yes it apparently started before June.

There are now over 20 suspect premises in Galway City and outskirts and Joyces accounted for the vast majority of the skims to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I went into the bank last friday wanting to cancel my card cause im forever shopping in joyces and dunnes and all over town. He wouldn't cancel it cause i wasn't contacted by the bank to say that my card has been copied. My friend's bank didn't contact her and just cancelled her card.
    Should they contact me saying that they have my details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I was in a shop today, followed by the atm machine and then the bank today to find out that my card didn't work in any of them. Its been cancelled over this card fraud. What's worse is that the humpty dumpties in the bank. The card didn't work and he didnt even make an attempt to find out if it was cancelled or not. Just got my money and the card handed back and myself asking has my card been cancelled. All he said was that its not working. I rang the 24 hour banking they were a great help.
    Anyway, i was in the bank a week and a half ago wanting to cancel my card and they wouldn't let me. How do people end up working in a bank, i dont know? Surely u would have to be educated with a bit of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Just say you lost your card, it'll be cancelled and a new one issued to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I'm just waiting for the banks to try and charge for the re-issued cards....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

kayos wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for the banks to try and charge for the re-issued cards....

Banks don't charge for the re-issue of cards.
    The fee I think you be talking about is the annual Government Stamp Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Banks don't charge for the re-issue of cards.
    The fee I think you be talking about is the annual Government Stamp Duty.

Hmmm strange that cause banks like to charge for pretty much anything these days...

Pretty sure I remember a charge for reissuing cards of some sort when I lost my wallet before. Maybe that was for a credit card from mbna though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

kayos wrote: »
    Hmmm strange that cause banks like to charge for pretty much anything these days...

Pretty sure I remember a charge for reissuing cards of some sort when I lost my wallet before. Maybe that was for a credit card from mbna though.

I've had to cancel credit cards before and get new ones issued, never had an extra charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nifty90210

I'd advise everyone who has used their laser or visa card lately in this area to check their bank accounts for any unusual activity! Only €12 was taken from my account, but the bank informed me that they would have taken more next time!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement