Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

He's making it look as if its not too much of a chore at least, unlikely the last chap. Comes across as a bit of a nothing candidate to me, but we are in anyone but Boris land here so best of luck to him!

Is he back to saying he's going to cosy up to the DUP? Where has that got them thus far?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,457 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hunt is having to come out with a load of hard Brexit nonsense even though he probably doesn't even believe in it - any Conservative who goes off the hard Brexit message and doesn't tell the loons what they want to hear is toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Hunt almost blatantly saying BJ is a liar who shouldn't be trusted.....but his own plan on reopening the WA; the answer will be to do with border technology on the border! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Hunt lost me when he said that the economic pain of a no deal Brexit would not be as bad as the political pain of not Brexiting. Crazy that we live in times where that is just accepted as something normal to say. And I don’t think he believes that himself.

Hunt seems like a nice man but I had a friend who was a nurse in the UK when the junior doctors’ strike was happening, and Hunt seemed to be universally despised by everyone in the NHS. Not a great track record for a wannabe PM.

Absolutely pathetic choices for the next leader of the UK. The circus rumbles on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,112 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Surprisingly Hunt put in a real good performance, much better than the recent debates but unfortunately he still believes in unicorns but I think he has to get a chance to be PM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Where are the DUP right how does anyone know?
    My personal bet is they’re bricking themselves.
    All of this. All of it. (Well the majority of it) Easily solved by a border in the sea.

They’ve been eerily quiet.

Are the remaining (no pun intended) candidates courting them?
    Or are they not?

I would love nothing better than to see them thrown under the bus with great force.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Where are the DUP right how does anyone know?
    My personal bet is they’re bricking themselves.
    All of this. All of it. (Well the majority of it) Easily solved by a border in the sea.

They’ve been eerily quiet.

Are the remaining (no pun intended) candidates courting them?
    Or are they not?

I would love nothing better than to see them thrown under the bus with great force.
    I disagree; they are sitting on the side line until the PM is in place. They will then inform the new PM that their votes are still his as long as NI get's the billion pounds and they don't get any special rules; if not they will vote to throw the PM out.

As both PMs are promising Brexit without the border I don't think they are overly concerned yet; not until / if the PM starts going for a Labour pull in to their deal in some form which is unlikely to fly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Shelga wrote: »
    Hunt lost me when he said that the economic pain of a no deal Brexit would not be as bad as the political pain of not Brexiting. Crazy that we live in times where that is just accepted as something normal to say. And I don’t think he believes that himself.

Hunt seems like a nice man but I had a friend who was a nurse in the UK when the junior doctors’ strike was happening, and Hunt seemed to be universally despised by everyone in the NHS. Not a great track record for a wannabe PM.

Absolutely pathetic choices for the next leader of the UK. The circus rumbles on!

He means for the Tory party not the UK as a whole

I'd say the DUP will be wary of Johnson, very wary. This is the chap, after all, they invited as a keynote speaker at their agm last year to hear him talk tough about how he was going to "junk" the backstop, yet just a couple of months later there he is endorsing the damn thing in the Commons by voting for the WA.

Whatever happens on 31 October, i'd lay any money on the confidence & supply arrangement breaking down pretty swiftly under Johnson. If he does indeed make it that far, i'd also wonder if there isn't some vague scheme there to try to orchestrate a very early GE, under not unfavourable terms, by which he might be able to dump the whole inconvenient arrangement at the soonest possible opportunity.

• Advertisement

Was the agreement not ‘the DUP have an agreement with Theresa May. Not the Conservative party’?

Thought I heard that a some point

I'd say the DUP will be wary of Johnson, very wary. This is the chap, after all, they invited as a keynote speaker at their agm last year to hear him talk tough about how he was going to "junk" the backstop, yet just a couple of months later there he is endorsing the damn thing in the Commons by voting for the WA.

Whatever happens on 31 October, i'd lay any money on the confidence & supply arrangement breaking down pretty swiftly under Johnson. If he does indeed make it that far, i'd also wonder if there isn't some vague scheme there to try to orchestrate a very early GE, under not unfavourable terms, by which he might be able to dump the whole inconvenient arrangement at the soonest possible opportunity.

Agreed. Johnson won’t hesitate to throw them overboard if it means he gets to deliver brexit.

It’s the only option open to him to deliver it as far as I can tell.
    Border in the sea.
    Eu agree.
    WA signed.
    DUP pull support.
    General election gets called.
    He sails in as pm cos
    ‘Brexit delivered’

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Was the agreement not ‘the DUP have an agreement with Theresa May. Not the Conservative party’?

This is an argument in the same vein that the UK didn't agree to pay 39 billion to the EU; May did. It's complete nonsense

Agreed. Johnson won’t hesitate to throw them overboard if it means he gets to deliver brexit.

It’s the only option open to him to deliver it as far as I can tell.
    Border in the sea.
    Eu agree.
    WA signed.
    DUP pull support.
    General election gets called.
    He sails in as pm cos
    ‘Brexit delivered’

If he could get away with that, i've no doubt he'd go for it. Problem is, i think, there's a dyed in the wool strain of toryism (the bit that goes by the conservative & unionist party title) that i doubt would let that happen. Gove for one would rebel and probably take a few colleagues with him. Whatever, i just dont think throwing the DUP under the bus is a simple solution.

I do agree that a GE, however he gets it, is the best outcome for Johnson. But i dont think he wants to call one without a good reason. He could, say, go the prorogueing route, knowing he will be thwarted and then able to go to the country saying, 'look, betrayed by parliament yet again....give me a majority and i'll go back and sort them for once and for all.' How feasible any of that is, i'm not sure, but i think it's possible he may be thinking at least someway along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Whatever way this all shakes out I hope someone somewhere remembers to give Tony Connolly an award. And lots of money.
    His coverage has been outstanding. A clear and accurate voice in the neverending storm of bs and agenda.

The Brits don’t have a single journalist that can hold a candle to him. Which is a real shame.

Must admit, I never really bothered listening to his reports from Brussels before Brexit.

He clearly knows his stuff and can be trusted to have reliable sources.

Although the British coverage is just underlying biased wishful thinking jingoism

If he could get away with that, i've no doubt he'd go for it. Problem is, i think, there's a dyed in the wool strain of toryism (the bit that goes by the conservative & unionist party title) that i doubt would let that happen. Gove for one would rebel and probably take a few colleagues with him. Whatever, i just dont think throwing the DUP under the bus is a simple solution.

I do agree that a GE, however he gets it, is the best outcome for Johnson. But i dont think he wants to call one without a good reason. He could, say, go the prorogueing route, knowing he will be thwarted and then able to go to the country saying, 'look, betrayed by parliament yet again....give me a majority and i'll go back and sort them for once and for all.' How feasible any of that is, i'm not sure, but i think it's possible he may be thinking at least someway along those lines.

It’s mad right? Anything could happen especially with Boris at the helm.
    Fact remains the next PM has the same wall his predecessor faced. He’s amazing at spin is Boris. How will he spin it when it’s on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nody wrote: »
    I disagree; they are sitting on the side line until the PM is in place. They will then inform the new PM that their votes are still his as long as NI get's the billion pounds and they don't get any special rules; if not they will vote to throw the PM out.

As both PMs are promising Brexit without the border I don't think they are overly concerned yet; not until / if the PM starts going for a Labour pull in to their deal in some form which is unlikely to fly anyway.

Both prospective PMs could also promise to reverse the rotation of the Earth.. not much of a promise though. And a bit foolhardy to sit back happy with an undeliverable promise.

It’s mad right? Anything could happen especially with Boris at the helm.
    Fact remains the next PM has the same wall his predecessor faced. He’s amazing at spin is Boris. How will he spin it when it’s on him?

Totally bonkers. As a famous Englishman once almost said, it's "madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of last years Mr Mad Man competition." I'm actually willing to give Johnson some credit and trust he isn't delusional or egotistical enough to think he can still go and tame Brussels and land the UK's burning plane with one wing and no fuselage safely on the runway. There's got to be some sort of plan there for how he doesn't deliver brexit. Either that or he scuppers the whole thing in some spectacular midair collision. Going to be a crazy month or two ahead, of that i'm certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

So Scotland annoyed and talking of 2nd referendum, Northern Ireland seriously mentioning a referendum and now question starting to be asked in Wales!

Wales! Sure its not even a kingdom and voted yes to Brexit but still

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1142462197701984256

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The Mail claiming a poll taken since yesterdays domestic dispute story broke gives Jeremy Hunt has a three point lead with all voters...

The caveat is though - he still leads amongst the Tory's!

BJ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭Water John

More links than revealed between Johnson and Bannon. Left on the cutting room floor initially but their importance is now to be seen;
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/22/video-reveals-steve-bannon-links-to-boris-johnson

Bannon even co-wrote his Ministerial resignation speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Other way around. DUP have always been clear that their deal is with the Tory party, not with whoever happens to lead it at any point in time, and a change in leadership (in either party) does not invalidate or affect the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Boris is pretending to think he can "disaggregate' the WA - dump the backstop, 'reserve' the £39bn, but keep the implementation period, during which he'll negotiate a FTA.

Presumably the EU will allow this cherrypicking because they are afraid the UK will crash out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This telegraph headline is a new low

"Left-wing neighbours admit to taping Boris Johnson row with partner Carrie Symonds"

[url]Https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/06/22/left-wing-neighbours-admit-taping-boris-johnson-row-girlfriend/[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Akrasia wrote: »
    This telegraph headline is a new low

"Left-wing neighbours admit to taping Boris Johnson row with partner Carrie Symonds"

[url]Https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/06/22/left-wing-neighbours-admit-taping-boris-johnson-row-girlfriend/[/url]

They 'admit' to recording?

As opposed to what? Accidently recording something?

Gas

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Boris is pretending to think he can "disaggregate' the WA - dump the backstop, 'reserve' the £39bn, but keep the implementation period, during which he'll negotiate a FTA.

Presumably the EU will allow this cherrypicking because they are afraid the UK will crash out.

https://twitter.com/BackBoris2019/status/1142505827452051463?s=19

Whats notable is that some EU leaders have speculated as to the potential consequences of the UK not paying the money it owes, preferring instead the general "breach your obligations under international law", some of the consequences could be:

1. Seizure of UK Gov assets within the EU e.g. their money on deposit with the ECJ, rebate due (not sure when exactly its to be repaid so unsure of this exactly), investments in common ventures e.g. Gallileo, PESCO etc, potentially stop the pensions and severance of UK MEPs (not sure they will do this though as the individuals could potentially sue in their own right) etc. So they "save" / "reserve" £39bn but the EU will "save" / "reserve" several billion of UK assets and non payment of liabilities to offset the loss. Granted, it wont be the full amount, but still.

2. Sue in the UK for breach of contract. UK will defend this on a jurisdictional basis e.g. that it is an EU agreement and all such obligations cease once art 50 period ends. I accept that they do have a stateable defence, but its not clear if it will succeed. EU Treaty law will cease, but the multi annual funding meetings are not strictly speaking covered by EU law as I understand them (but again its open to debate). If they win on jurisdiction, then surely the ECJ has the power to determine if they have breached their obligation or not. I wonder which way they will rule. The UK hasnt stated any substantive basis upon which they dont owe the money, so whichever court has jurisdiction will likely find against them.

3. Loss of reputation, sterling drops as markets percieve them as defaulters. Again, even if a clever argument about jurisdiction wins in court, China, Russia, Saudi etc will all be cautious about this supposed safe haven that doesnt repay money if it doesnt suit them politically.

4. They talk about GATT 24 and how the EU "can" agree to a temporary free trade area. If the UK reneges on its lawful debts, far from agreeing to a free trade area, the EU could seek to impose sanctions on the UK pursuant to the WTO dispute resolution system. I doubt they would do this for medicines or other essentials, but on everything else.

5. My theory is that part of the EU sees a chaotic hard brexit as an opportunity. Banking is the jewel in the UKs crown, making up something like 6% of GDP generally but indirectly making the city of London a financial powerhouse. Frankfurt, Dublin etc would like some of this. And despite what many city bankers would like you to believe about the UKs unique talent base of people etc, in reality, London grew as the safe haven in the EU but with strong commonwealth and US links. The EU member states cannot be seen to be directly competeing with the UK for this business at the moment, as that would be contrary to EU rules and ettiqute. But, if the UK leaves on a no deal, Id expect a lot of EU packages to encourage moveable financial firms to relocate inside the EU. When the Brexiteers talk about the German manufacturing lobby putting pressure on the EU, the same cannot be said for Uk based banks putting pressure on the london government. Theyll make their downside risk money on the no deal chaos, then simply relocate to Frankfurt with a nice EU relocation grant.

I wonder what Boris thinks about these consequences of withholding the money they owe, quite apart from any semse of shame or scruples being a gentleman debt defaulter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭volchitsa

"Gentleman debt defaulters" have been part of the aristocracy since, well, forever.
    Some took the view that it was their right as gentlemen not to bother paying up, especially to those whom they saw as being beneath them.

I wouldn't imagine Boris has a problem with defaulting if it suits him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Liam Fox on Marr seems to have seen some sort of light.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The shining light was David Milliband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I know it was an obvious joke but Marr made me laugh with his comment about "Fox supports Hunt" head line.
    (Yeah ok I'm superficial like that.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement