Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Slydice wrote: »

Bradley Cooper a producer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Bradley Cooper a producer

:eek: I didn't notice that!

What a track record as producer!
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0177896/
    2019/I Joker (producer)
    2018 A Star Is Born (producer - produced by, p.g.a.)
    2016 War Dogs (producer)
    2014 American Sniper (producer)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://www.hotpress.com/film-tv/win-pair-tickets-irish-premiere-screening-joker-22789590

Win tickets to the Irish Premiere on the 1st of October at 6.30pm at IMAX Cineworld

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49816205

Families of those killed while watching a Batman film in 2012 have written to Warner Bros with concerns about the new Joker film and urging the studio to join action against gun violence.

Twelve people died in a cinema showing The Dark Knight Rises in Colorado.

They included Jessica Ghawi, 24, whose mother Sandy Phillips told BBC News she was "horrified" by the Joker trailers.

Warner Bros said the film - which stars Joaquin Phoenix - was not an endorsement of real-world violence.

Phoenix walked out of a recent interview when asked about the issue.

Sandy Phillips and her husband, Lonnie, who run Survivors Empowered, an anti-gun violence group, wrote to Warner Bros along with three others whose relatives were killed, injured or caught up in the 2012 shooting.

Speaking to BBC News, Mrs Phillips said: "When I first saw the trailers of the movie, I was absolutely horrified.

"And then when I dug a little deeper and found out that it had such unnecessary violence in the movie, it just chilled me to my bones.

"It just makes me angry that a major motion picture company isn't taking responsibility and doesn't have the concern of the public at all."

such a joke of a country.. we have the same access to these comics and movies and you don´t see this gun violence happening outside of America....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

These are the kinds of people who blame video games for kids shooting up schools.

What happened was obviously dreadful but cop on, don't blame the movie or the production company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭tastyt

Mental country

Blame everything other than easy access to guns for gun violence.

Damn comic books. It would be very hard to beat someone to death with one though. Mass comic book beating massacre !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I saw that reviews from a French film screening were very positive so hopefully the US reaction is just going to be its own weird bubble. But of course in Ireland and the UK at least, you'll get a couple of people picking up the American narrative.

The Colorado shooter's claim that he was inspired by The Joker was laughed at by the judge at the time from what I gather. It looks to me like the families are using the film to promote gun reform which I suppose is fine in itself, but the issue will be with the media and how they're already presenting it.

As I seen some person eloquently put it earlier I just want to watch a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

Tickets for this are on sale on the Omiplex website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

70mm makes no sense when the Joker was shot on digital.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286456/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

'Blow-up' prints from digital masters aren't uncommon. Perhaps the end result would be better if taken from a 35mm print but you'd would imagine there's still gains to be made otherwise why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I’d lob a valid criticism at the over aggressive response from some sectors of the internet (mainly Twitter) defending the “film”. The fact is no ones actually seen it, so this is all based on a 2.5 minute trailer.

Accusations of it inciting violence or those trying to aggressively defend is complete horse sh*t.

Both sides are attention seeking morons and should be largely ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

El Duda wrote: »
    70mm = actually projected on film = better image. Clearer. Brighter. Higher resolution.

He’s probably right (I’ve no idea) but he comes across nuts in anything he says. Mad as a fcukin hatter he is.

Makes great films though to be fair.

kerplun k wrote: »
    I’d lob a valid criticism at the over aggressive response from some sectors of the internet (mainly Twitter) defending the “film”. The fact is no ones actually seen it, so this is all based on a 2.5 minute trailer.

Accusations of it inciting violence or those trying to aggressively defend is complete horse sh*t.

Both sides are attention seeking morons and should be largely ignored.

To be honest I haven't seen anyone try to aggressively defend the film. Maybe on Twitter but generally on message boards people are just pissed off about how the film has been hijacked for political purposes.

I don't usually have much time for John Campea but I liked his take on this film; you could literally take any work of modern violent fiction and make a stand on it. Joker has been chosen as the scapegoat.

Again this isn't defending the film; I really like Phoenix but based on what I've seen I'm not sure I will love the interpretation. But if it's a bad film then it stops there for me. Anyone who tries to make more of it is as you say, just out for the spotlight and platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Caught an early screening of JOKER last night and holy ****, what a movie. The TAXI DRIVER / KING OF COMEDY inspiration is obvious, but it also boasts some serious DEATH WISH vibes, and feels like the riskiest mainstream film since NATURAL BORN KILLERS.

Comments from someone in a FB group I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

They included Jessica Ghawi, 24, whose mother Sandy Phillips told BBC News she was "horrified" by the Joker trailers...

Speaking to BBC News, Mrs Phillips said: "When I first saw the trailers of the movie, I was absolutely horrified.

"And then when I dug a little deeper and found out that it had such unnecessary violence in the movie, it just chilled me to my bones.

"It just makes me angry that a major motion picture company isn't taking responsibility and doesn't have the concern of the public at all."[/I]

such a joke of a country.. we have the same access to these comics and movies and you don´t see this gun violence happening outside of America....

The world is full of really silly people. How does she know the violence is unnecessary if she's just watched the trailer?
    Also the "you don´t see this gun violence happening outside of America" is proof its an issue with american gun laws and nothing to do with films

I can't wait for this film, it looks amazing

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49816205

Families of those killed while watching a Batman film in 2012 have written to Warner Bros with concerns about the new Joker film and urging the studio to join action against gun violence.

Twelve people died in a cinema showing The Dark Knight Rises in Colorado.

They included Jessica Ghawi, 24, whose mother Sandy Phillips told BBC News she was "horrified" by the Joker trailers.

Warner Bros said the film - which stars Joaquin Phoenix - was not an endorsement of real-world violence.

Phoenix walked out of a recent interview when asked about the issue.

Sandy Phillips and her husband, Lonnie, who run Survivors Empowered, an anti-gun violence group, wrote to Warner Bros along with three others whose relatives were killed, injured or caught up in the 2012 shooting.

"It just makes me angry that a major motion picture company isn't taking responsibility and doesn't have the concern of the public at all."

You'd swear this was the first violent movie that came out since the 2012 shooting.

I'm sorry for her loss but there is nothing to link this film and TDKR.

Military and police forces have been alerted to be vigilant now in America.

A British screening has now mostly gained rave reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Military and police forces have been alerted to be vigilant now in America.

A British screening has now mostly gained rave reviews.

Everybody loves a good moral panic!

https://www.thewrap.com/joker-director-todd-phillips-rebuffs-criticism-of-dark-tone-we-didnt-make-the-movie-to-push-buttons-exclusive/

“I think it’s because outrage is a commodity, I think it’s something that has been a commodity for a while,” he said. “What’s outstanding to me in this discourse in this movie is how easily the far left can sound like the far right when it suits their agenda. It’s really been eye opening for me.”

- Todd Phillips

Aye I've notice Philips has been on the attack this week! Fair play to him but he'd probably be better off staying quiet. Then again more fuel to the fire might be a good thing.

Can't imagine that far left comment going down well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Aye I've notice Philips has been on the attack this week! Fair play to him but he'd probably be better off staying quiet. Then again more fuel to the fire might be a good thing.

Can't imagine that far left comment going down well!

The funny thing is, the movie was flying completely below the radar before all the kerfuffle.

From anyone that has seen it, what is the verdict? Worth watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Calhoun wrote: »
    The funny thing is, the movie was flying completely below the radar before all the kerfuffle.

From anyone that has seen it, what is the verdict? Worth watching?

The reception it received in Venice is flying under the radar? :confused:

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    The reception it received in Venice is flying under the radar? :confused:

I mean't before that and the reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm gutted I can't see this on opening weekend for a couple of reasons, so I started entering competitions left, right and center for tomorrow's preview. As I was driving home yesterday I got my gf to text an answer to a radio station for their comp, she missed the callback a few minutes later. :(
    Calhoun wrote: »
    I mean't before that and the reaction to it.

The internet was lighting up every time Todd Philips posted a behind the scenes picture of Joaquin in costume and make up. That combined with the anticipation for a Joker standalone movie with that cast can hardly be thought of as flying under the radar.

The internet was lighting up every time Todd Philips posted a behind the scenes picture of Joaquin in costume and make up. That combined with the anticipation for a Joker standalone movie with that cast can hardly be thought of as flying under the radar.

Must have just been me/my group of friends, we would be fairly casual when it comes to the whole comic book series though. Would have put it down as just another DC film if not for all the publicity around it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Going to this on Friday , really looking forward to it.

I wonder did critics judge it on the “think about the children” supposedly glorifying crime element. The audience score is holding up over 9/10 which is a fair old jump from critics 7/10.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Going to this on Friday , really looking forward to it.

I wonder did critics judge it on the “think about the children” supposedly glorifying crime element. The audience score is holding up over 9/10 which is a fair old jump from critics 7/10.

I think RT opened their gates to hundreds of new critics, many of them in reality just bloggers. With that they opened the floodgates on every type of angle in which one can come with when criticising a film.

The criticism seems to be a combination of think of the children and identity politics in the US. Outside of the US and Canada, everywhere else in the world that has had screenings there's been mostly praise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In slim defence of the moral outrage over this movie, there is something of a legitimate context for these predominantly American worries; the so-called "incel" and/or White Nationalist movements are on the uptick over there, with some (of the many, many) mass shootings revolving around these fringe groups, tangentially or otherwise. And if it's not domestic terrorism, then you have the likes of the "Proud Boys" and their ilk being intentionally hostile agitators, under the thin guise of "freedom of speech". The American cultural landscape has become an ugly, incendiary place, spilling into actual violence.

So while I don't subscribe to this idea of Hollywood films causing or encouraging these things - it's patent rubbish, in a long line of moral panics ala the VHS nasties of the 1980s, the Dark Knight et al (heck, even Taken caused some Americans to worry about their kids being kidnapped in Paris) - I do understand where it's coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Mrs Sleepy won tickets to tonight's premier over the weekend. Looking forward to it and will post my thoughts tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

pixelburp wrote: »
    In slim defence of the moral outrage over this movie, there is something of a legitimate context for these predominantly American worries; the so-called "incel" and/or White Nationalist movements are on the uptick over there, with some (of the many, many) mass shootings revolving around these fringe groups, tangentially or otherwise. And if it's not domestic terrorism, then you have the likes of the "Proud Boys" and their ilk being intentionally hostile agitators, under the thin guise of "freedom of speech". The American cultural landscape has become an ugly, incendiary place, spilling into actual violence.

So while I don't subscribe to this idea of Hollywood films causing or encouraging these things - it's patent rubbish, in a long line of moral panics ala the VHS nasties of the 1980s, the Dark Knight et al (heck, even Taken caused some Americans to worry about their kids being kidnapped in Paris) - I do understand where it's coming from.

Moral panics are bad unless I approve of them

Mad stuff altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭PressRun

pixelburp wrote: »

There's definitely an element of people seeing it through a different lens depending on where they come from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bambi wrote: »
    Moral panics are bad unless I approve of them

Mad stuff altogether

Did you even actually read my post? Show me the line where I said I approved. I literally say in the second para you quoted that moral panics are always rubbish, and was trying to contextualise where this particular one is coming from.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement