Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

robbiezero wrote: »
    Id imagine the vast majorith of IT workers and some other sectors could continue working from home to some extent which would ease the pressure fairly significantly.

Yep and I'd be one of them :) I could realistically work from home indefinitely given my role.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

The next hopeful step is that they manage the reopening carefully, as the second wave historically did more damage in Spanish Flu then the first wave

If your aunty had balls she'd be your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There was
    The government and the HSE continually stated
    the peak was not here
    Could be end of April
    No distinction between historical and previous days
    They knew the peak was gone but lied so people would not question this lockdown bull****

Game over, the lockdown is pointless
    We are now ruining our economy and society for past events

Time to let the adults take charge now
    Back to work and back to school Monday should be the rally call
    I am sick of the public sector cabals running this country

To normal people on here I beg please email your local TDS and councillors
    We need to stop this bull **** now

Thanks be to **** the rest of us don't think this way. Do you know anybody working as a nurse or doctor? Ask them are the current restrictions pointless.

The adults are in charge, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

There was
    the peak was not here
    Could be end of April
    They knew the peak was gone but lied so people would not question this lockdown bull****

Fcuk the government and the HSE. Lord Quackington knows best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

Augeo wrote: »
    It's this kind of attitude, if widespread will ruin the effort so far.

The numbers will foooking rise again fairly lively ..

The numbers will rise as soon as restrictions are lifted to a level that is remotely tolerable in the long term.

The ‘effort’ so far cannot be ruined, as it was always a pointless waste of resources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

easypazz wrote: »
    You obviously missed the below paragraph

Some pubs will open for a few hours in the evening, with only those with outdoor seating areas allowed to open in the first wave of reopenings.

Outdoor seating area in November drinking pints. Rather stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Again I would hope that people will use common sense and public transport also adapts a bit to facilitate distancing. Working from home should continue to be a thing where its possible to do so. Social distancing should continue in supermarkets and be expanded as others reopen

I'm not saying we just go back to business as usual overnight

Interesting interview.

https://unherd.com/thepost/coming-up-epidemiologist-prof-johan-giesecke-shares-lessons-from-sweden/

It seems to back up what has came out of the Stanford and Chicago antibody studies which indicate the infection rate at the moment is likely 3-4%. 50-85 times greater than the actual figures. That would put the mortality rate at roughly .1%.

Keeping our over 70s cocooned but getting people back at work could come much quicker than we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I’m not sure why you consistently have to adopt this patronising tone to people? Nobody is saying their local plumber’s opinion is as valid. Stop with the nonsense will you.

If you turn on any news channel, or indeed were watching Prime Time on Thursday night you will see that many “experts” the world over are disagreeing with each other and contradicting each other day in and day out on what is the best way forward with this. You might happen to take a few “expert’s” word as gospel but that doesn’t make it so. And I’m well aware of the full name of the virus thanks Kiki.

Why are we even gone down this route? Because you were caught exaggerating and have rooted through someone’s post history in order to deflect from being caught out on that.

Retro, I wasn't exaggerating and I've provided the links to back up my views.

You took my comment far more personally than it was intended; it wasn't directed specifically at you but at a swathe of posters on the thread who have no background in medicine, epidemiology or indeed economics but still seem to think they know far better than those who do. Sorry if it seemed like because I was responding to your post I was directing the comment at you.

Yes, I do put my faith in experts. And while there is some debate between different experts on different elements, there's broad consensus that Ireland is following the right path. And that's seen in the data coming through as well that's showing we're getting a handle on this.

The gas part is, me and Kaiser are saying almost exactly the same thing but there are posters who thinks he's on the money and I'm wrong. That's fine, it obviously is the case that my tone rubs some people up the wrong way - I can live with that, I'm blunt with language. Nevertheless we are in favour of almost identical solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

The date from which the measures will start being relaxed isn't in my mind determined by the current data. That is just a jumping-off point from which we can start the plan in the safest zone possible. MIT's new modeling data shows that you end up back at square in an incredibly quick amount of time if it is not done in a controlled manner. That means everything you have done for the purpose of controlling the virus has been for nothing. Merkel to her credit gave a very clear explantion of this all recently in very simple understanable manner

What you are looking to achieve once you have the numbers under control is a way to run a society without the need for a very restrictive lockdown.That means soceity changes and operates radcially different prior to the lockdown until a vaccine is found. The infrastructure for testing, tracing, etc will have vastly improved to allow a certain new way of life without a full lockdown. People who can work from home should stay working from home. Travel restricitons for non essential purposes stay in place. Large gatherings of any kind are off the table. Without these changes you are just looking at going through another shutdown and cyclying that as needed which will be even more harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Saw this on Facebook earlier and it gave me a good laugh because it really sums up the pathetic and confused 'advice' given by the UK government. So accurate! Is it any wonder people are confused when so much of the advice is so contradictory?

As we enter the next 3 weeks of lockdown here is a summary of the advise:

1. You MUST NOT leave the house for any reason, but if you have a reason, you can leave the house

2. Masks are useless at protecting you against the virus, but you may have to wear one because it can save lives, but they may not work, but they may be mandatory, but maybe not

3. Shops are closed, except those shops that are open

4. You must not go to work but you can get another job and go to work

5. You should not go to the Drs or to the hospital unless you have to go there, unless you are too poorly to go there

6. This virus can kill people, but don’t be scared of it. It can only kill those people who are vulnerable or those people who are not vulnerable people. It’s possible to contain and control it, sometimes, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster

7. Gloves won't help, but they can still help so wear them sometimes or not

8. STAY HOME, but it's important to go out

9. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarkets, but there are many things missing. Sometimes you won’t need loo rolls but you should buy some just in case you need some

10. The virus has no effect on children except those children it effects

11. Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there…

12. Stay 2 metres away from tigers (see point 11)

13. You will have many symptoms if your get the virus, but you can also get symptoms without getting the virus, get the virus without having any symptoms or be contagious without having symptoms, or be non contagious with symptoms...

14. To help protect yourself you should eat well and exercise, but eat whatever you have on hand as it's better not to go out shopping

15. It's important to get fresh air but don't go to parks but go for a walk. But don’t sit down, except if you are old, but not for too long or if you are pregnant or if you’re not old or pregnant but need to sit down. If you do sit down don’t eat your picnic

16. Don’t visit old people but you have to take care of the old people and bring them food and medication

17. If you are sick, you can go out when you are better but anyone else in your household can’t go out when you are better unless they need to go out

18. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house. These deliveries are safe. But groceries you bring back to your house have to be decontaminated outside for 3 hours including Pizza...

19. You can't see your older mother or grandmother, but they can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver

20. You are safe if you maintain the safe social distance when out but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance

21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours ... or four hours... six hours... I mean days, not hours... But it needs a damp environment. Or a cold environment that is warm and dry... in the air, as long as the air is not plastic

22. Schools are closed so you need to home educate your children, unless you can send them to school because you’re not at home. If you are at home you can home educate your children using various portals and virtual class rooms, unless you have poor internet, or more than one child and only one computer, or you are working from home. Baking cakes can be considered maths, science or art. If you are home educating you can include household chores to be education. If you are home educating you can start drinking at 10am

23. If you are not home educating children you can also start drinking at 10am

24. The number of corona related deaths will be announced daily but we don't know how many people are infected as they are only testing those who are almost dead to find out if that's what they will die of… the people who die of corona who aren’t counted won’t be counted

25. You should stay in locked down until the virus stops infecting people but it will only stop infecting people if we all get infected so it’s important we get infected and some don’t get infected

26. You can join your neighbours for a street party and turn your music up for an outside disco and your neighbours won’t call the police. People in another street are allowed to call the police about your music.

27. No business will go under due to Coronavirus except those businesses that will have already gone under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Fcuk the government and the HSE. Lord Quackington knows best.

He is actually right on this, huge global reaction to this, we all need to move on.

It is inevitable that shopping centres will be packed every wet sunday once shops there reopen.

And a second lockdown will be a big ask.

The numbers entering centres will have to be controlled. Have you not seen queues at shops for groceries? If you want to go to a shopping center that's what you'll buy into.

No where will be packed.

Saw this on Facebook earlier and it gave me a good laugh because it really sums up the pathetic and confused 'advice' given by the UK government. So accurate! ........er.

Cynical horsesh1t for mongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Deaths peaked on April 7th. Brilliant news from Hoolahan.

Restrictions really made a difference

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

reg114 wrote: »
    Schools and creches should not reopen until September, yes it will put a strain on families but the that inconvenience is totally outweighed by the multiplier effect of interactions that hundreds of thousands of students moving freely in society will cause. Asymptomatic transmission seems to be paramount to Covid19's contagion, children at the best of times as any parent will attest to are vectors for all sorts of infections so its crucial they dont mix in schools, on public transport in shops etc until we understand more about the trajectory of this disease in this country.

It will put more than a strain on just the families if schools and creches are not reopened.

https://www.indexmundi.com/ireland/demographics_profile.html

From these numbers 20% of the population is under 15 so need looking after and can't be left alone at home. 40% of the population is approximately of working age and will be the people looking after that 20% who can't mind themselves.

Best case you only get 50% of the workforce back into work unless you reopen schools for under 15's. Obviously a million different ways that you can mess about with those numbers to get different ratios of dependencies on the other groups, but whilst colleges and unis can stay closed or switch to fully remote learning without those young kids being back in school nothing much else is happening as far as the economy and people getting back to work productively.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

There was
    the peak was not here
    Could be end of April

Your posts are getting more delusional every time I read them. I hope you have a large stock of tinfoil hats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep and I'd be one of them :) I could realistically work from home indefinitely given my role.

So they move their work to your home
    Then they move their work from your home to India

You don’t believe this of course
    I am an accountant - trust me it’s already been costed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Your posts are getting more delusional every time I read them. I hope you have a large stock of tinfoil hats.

Tinfoil hats protect you from 5G masts which means you can't get Covid-19. I wear one 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Augeo wrote: »
    It was initially feared we could see 15,000 cases by end of March..... We've just gotten to that now.
    Easing of restrictions will happen.... But it will be an easing. Loads of stuff won't he going on as normal in summer 2020 unfortunately.

A week or two of a significant proportion of the population not adhereing to guidelines when some restrictions are eased will likely see the health system beyond capacity.

Something like a third of cases are healthcare workers, that's reason enough why we need continued vigilance and the primary focus being on controlling the spread..... An economy won't function for long without a staffed healthservice...... I don't know what proportion of health workers have contracted the virus but it's likely to be a significant enough proportion. As that number rises and they are back at work the healthservvice itself is less vulnerable.

Some easing of restrictions can have huge positive effects on the economy coupled with a reduced transmit rate it's a good starting point for May 05th.

I've mentioned it before, essential workplaces are implementing controls successfully, there's plenty non essential ones that can also, but it will require planning, effort and buy in from staff & customers.

A third of cases from the health service is not the same as a third of the health service. Plus, those healthcare workers currently affected will be back at work shortly. Everything is under control and a gradual easing of restrictions is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

He is actually right on this, huge global reaction to this, we all need to move on.

If people weren't losing their lives, like if the only cost was economic i would be all up for following your advice and others, but the problem is if your wrong, and we have a huge spike in numbers - hundreds if not thousands of innocent people will die - FACT we see it all over Europe. Or do you not see what is happening in Italy and Spain and the UK and the US?

If your right - then why are innocent people dying in those countries i listed above?

If a relative of yours died from the virus through no fault of their own, would you be like, well they were old, well this or that, no - you would probably look to blame someone, and yourself and "Lord quack" would be the first to blame the government and the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'm picturing something like The Shining..,

polesheep wrote: »
    A third of cases from the health service is not the same as a third of the health service. Plus, those healthcare workers currently affected will be back at work shortly. Everything is under control and a gradual easing of restrictions is on the way.

We've had 3 healthcare workers die to date, you cannot guarantee that those affected will go back to work shortly.

And they could catch the virus again - and what then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

I am an accountant who specialises in tax
    Come back to me when the next budget is being announced
    Then we will see who is being delusional

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

You obviously missed the below paragraph

Some pubs will open for a few hours in the evening, with only those with outdoor seating areas allowed to open in the first wave of reopenings.

You have obviously picked out the one sentence in the article that suits your viewpoint and chosen to ignore the main body of what was written.

I am an accountant who specialises in tax
    Come back to me when the next budget is being announced
    Then we will see who is being delusional

It's true what they say, anyone can qualify as an accountant these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

robbiezero wrote: »
    Id imagine the vast majorith of IT workers and some other sectors could continue working from home to some extent which would ease the pressure fairly significantly.

The vast majority of IT workers could work from home permanently with no negative impact whatsoever but too many in higher management are set in their ways to allow that.
    Maybe they'll have gained appreciation for it through this crisis but I wouldn't guarantee it, I still think government should insist any business capable of working from home should continue doing so until we have a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ace2007 wrote: »
    If people weren't losing their lives, like if the only cost was economic i would be all up for following your advice and others, but the problem is if your wrong, and we have a huge spike in numbers - hundreds if not thousands of innocent people will die - FACT we see it all over Europe. Or do you not see what is happening in Italy and Spain and the UK and the US?

If your right - then why are innocent people dying in those countries i listed above?

If a relative of yours died from the virus through no fault of their own, would you be like, well they were old, well this or that, no - you would probably look to blame someone, and yourself and "Lord quack" would be the first to blame the government and the HSE.

I wouldnt hold my breath on that. They would probably just be wrote of as brave martyrs who sacrificed themselves for the glorious new prosperous Irish Economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Does anyone see Schools (Primary or Secondary) opening before September?

You have obviously picked out the one sentence in the article that suits your viewpoint and chosen to ignore the main body of what was written.

Isn't that what most posters on here do?

Like you have posters saying that Tony says we are passed the peak, and therefore we should re-open everything, ignoring the fact that Tony also said he can't be sure if Schools can reopen in September.... and we have to gradual reopen the economy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lord Quack was involved in the audit of the FAI - only sees what he wants to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Millions of deaths were predicted in the original models by Dr. Fauci and Imperial College London.

The extremely drastic 'lockdown' measures were based on those predictions, which haven't materialised and which everyone now admits won't materialise - including the creators of those original models.

But you want extreme measures anyway based on another worst-case-scenario prediction, this time of hundreds of thousands of deaths.

This is in spite of there being no way of knowing exactly what effect the lockdown has, therefore no way of knowing how it ties into your prediction.

People die. In 2016, 5.1 million EU citizens died of one cause or another. That didn't excite a huge reaction but it did require mass graves.

When we see the overall mortality rates for 2020, its unlikely they'll differ in kind from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 etc. Possibly a slight uptick for 2020 - but I very much doubt it.

Meanwhile actual life is suspended with no definite plans to allow it get going again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement