Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black stoats in Ireland?

Options
  • 08-09-2007 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Was in the car today when a jet black stoat ran straight out in front of us (we slammed on the brakes and it was OK). I didn't even know there was stoats in Ireland and I always thought they were brown with a white belly? It was in Kilcock, I am wondering maybe it was a mink escaped from a fur farm or something?

(PS There is no way this was a cat, it was definitely a stoat or maybe a ferret).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nala wrote:
    Hi,
    Was in the car today when a jet black stoat ran straight out in front of us (we slammed on the brakes and it was OK). I didn't even know there was stoats in Ireland and I always thought they were brown with a white belly? It was in Kilcock, I am wondering maybe it was a mink escaped from a fur farm or something?

(PS There is no way this was a cat, it was definitely a stoat or maybe a ferret).

Pine martin perhaps? you get them in wicklow i think, though they're pretty rare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Feral mink are a common sight. TBH I'd see them more often than I'd see stoats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

And you shouldnt have slammed in the brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

Funny that, cos the same thing happened to a car in front of me this morning. A black stoat shot across the road, they slammed on the brakes the stoat stopped and then ran under the following car.

I'd never seen a black stoat before.

This is in Killarney and afaik there are no fur farms around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

The whole country is overrun with mink... They really are not an unusual sight... even in Killarney.

There is no such thing as a black stoat... What are they teaching you guys in school!

620111.jpg

Read and learn (NI orientated). Also stay away from them if you see one (dont let your dogs near either)
    Introduction
    Mink were first farmed for their fur in Ireland in the early 1950s. Within ten years there were around forty mink farms or ranches across Ireland, housing thousands of animals. The first documented escape of farm bred mink occurred in 1961 when thirty mink escaped from a fur farm near Omagh, County Tyrone.
    Since then there have been many escapes and deliberate releases. As a result, mink have become firmly established in the wild throughout Ireland. At present there are no mink farms in Northern Ireland and only a handful in the Republic of Ireland.

Description
    Mink are members of the weasel family (Mustelidae). They have long, sinuous bodies, short legs with partly-webbed feet and a moderately bushy tail. The head is bluntly pointed with small rounded ears that are almost hidden in the fur. Males can measure 50-70cm from nose to tail and weigh up to 1½kg; females are smaller. The fur is dark chocolate brown (appears black) and made up of long, hard, shiny guard hairs with a short undercoat of slightly lighter soft dense fur. White patches are usually seen on the chin, chest and belly.

Country of origin
    Canada and North America.

Location in Northern Ireland
    Widespread throughout Ireland. In Northern Ireland it is more common in counties Tyrone and Fermanagh.

Life cycle
    Mink are solitary, territorial animals, both males and females select an area of land (territory) that they will defend. A male will not tolerate another male within its territory, but is usually less aggressive towards females. Within its territory a mink will have several dens to shelter in, usually in the roots of riverside trees, amongst boulders or in old rabbit burrows. Although mainly nocturnal, mink are often seen during the day.
    Mating takes place between February and early April, up to six young are born about 30 days later, depending on food and weather conditions. The kids are born deaf, blind and hairless but grow quickly and are weaned by the time they are eight weeks old. They remain with their mothers during the summer, but move away to find their own territories in the autumn.
    Mink are semi-aquatic and are rarely found far from water. They prefer slow shallow rivers and lakes with lots of bankside vegetation. In some coastal areas mink may be found on rocky sea shores.
    Mink are fast, agile carnivores and will eat anything that they can catch and kill. Their diet is made up of fish mainly, birds (coots and moorhens), young rabbits, rats and crayfish.

Wildlife impacts
    Mink can easily cross several kilometres of water allowing them to access inshore islands where they pose a serious threat to colonies of ground-nesting seabirds such as terns, gulls and black guillemots.

Habitat impacts
    None.

Human impacts
    If the opportunity arises, mink will kill and eat game birds and ornamental fowl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

fits wrote:
    Also stay away from them if you see one

Why is that?

sesswhat wrote:
    Why is that?

They're very aggressive when cornered, and could easily kill a dog I reckon.

One came into the dog shed in my parents house once, and the aggressive screaming out of it...it was very scary.
    The dogs knew well enough to stay away thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What you saw was a Mink, but please don't get carried away about their aggressive manner. Yes, they are aggressive hunters and are real pests who destroy much wildlife, but they are not at all aggressive towards humans. I come across them fairly often and they tend to be quite shy. I had one in our dog run and it just watched us with curiosity then wandered off. As for killing a dog - well it would have to be completely cornered before it would even consider tackling a dog. A bit I exaggeration I think.

I did say 'when cornered'. The mink in question was definitely 'cornered' and I locked the dogs away in order to allow it to escape. It would have attacked if it had to, I have no doubt about that.
    I think any other animal would have quietly hidden away in a corner until it was free to get away. This one absolutely raised hell... I've never heard a noise like it, incredible stuff.

I didnt mean to imply that they would attack if unprovoked at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

fits wrote:
    I did say 'when cornered'. The mink in question was definitely 'cornered' and I locked the dogs away in order to allow it to escape. It would have attacked if it had to, I have no doubt about that.
    I think any other animal would have quietly hidden away in a corner until it was free to get away. This one absolutely raised hell... I've never heard a noise like it, incredible stuff.

I didnt mean to imply that they would attack if unprovoked at all.

Most small predators would raise hell if cornered, even your neighbours cat for that matter, but no dog much bigger than a Chihuahua is likely to be in danger.

As someone who has handled quite a number of wild mink they certainly can raise a racket and give you a bit of a nip. Their jaws are only the size of a very small domestic cat so they are not going to tear off your arm, or do any serious damage to a dog.

They do tend to be demonised, just like all newcomers. I've had farmers describing how mink attacked sheep and calves belonging to 'a friend of a neighbour of someone they met in the pub'. When I showed them crayfish shells that had the tiny puncture wounds left by mink toothmarks they had to admit there might have been just a little bit of exaggeration involved.

• Advertisement

sesswhat wrote:
    Most small predators would raise hell if cornered, even your neighbours cat for that matter, but no dog much bigger than a Chihuahua is likely to be in danger.

Well you obviously have more experience with them than I do. I'm only going on hearsay which is that they can do a lot of damage to domestic poultry.. and my one personal experience..... and no cat has ever sounded like that (btw I dont let my dogs near rats either, because of lepto mostly).

Can I ask how you end up handling wild mink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thus the danger of hearsay! The racket they give off is as much a defence or bluff tactic as anything. If you work in the Wildlife Ranger or Gamekeeper fileds you will have handled a few over the years.

Thus the danger of hearsay!

True enough:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bobbytwo

Ya mink everywhere! There was a farm in leixlip fifty years ago and lots of escapees! :(

Advertisement