Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know where I can get these?

Options
  • 24-07-2008 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Anyone know exactly where I can get these? They are called connectable storage cubes or wire mesh storage cubes, have many other names, they are storage cubes you can assemble yourself and make any design, I want them to build some cages.

6405-978-PRPL1.jpg

SAF5279BL_1_11.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

bump it up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Can't find them in Ireland atm they used to have them in Woodies think I mentioned that, but you could try here ordering from the UK might be pricier though.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/cgi-bin/home/home_ad.pl

They need to be strenghtned with cable ties but you can get them anywhere they're cheap as chips.

Argos had them one year and then all of a sudden they had dissapeared from the next catalogue but UK argos has them.

I should have some photos on my website below of the ones I have on my housing page.

Thanks, it's a pity we can't get them here though, I saw your cages and also saw gorgeus condos someone made for their bunnies, cable ties are no prob as my dad is always making enclosures for chickens,ducks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

use them as cages for what? its probably just cheaper and easier to buy a proper cage...plus wire floor for any pet is uncomfortable and dangerous

Cages for rabbits.. you musn't have much experience with rabbits as they need to have a wire floor or else they dig out but the wire needs to be covered to prevent sore hocks. Have a look at this link http://fuzzy-rabbit.com/room.htm

If you have a look at guineapigrescues site you will see they do make good cages and have been used to make cages for a long time..they make excellent cages IMO

Anyways, you don't have to make them with a wire floor, the whole point is to design yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

There are various ways of building these, for rabbits they need to be made more secure they are more flimsy than they look in photos.

Here's some more info ashlingm to give you an idea.

They are used along with coroplast which is the same stuff you make signs out of or you can use various other matierials. Basically the coroplast is bent and shaped to the size you want and you put the cubes around it.
    So the animal is on a plastic type bottomed cage.
    They are not really suitable for outdoor use but ok for sheds.
    Cable ties are a must otherwise even the laziest guineapig would get through it.

The beauty of them is if you are stuck for space you can build them upwards as well, mind you I was never very good at building them upwards. Some people have done great jobs on them.

A regular pet pen will do a similar job, some pens you can buy and add on to.

For garden use I wouldn't recommend anything other than timber and aviary wire runs (with a warm shelter) or something like a cill dara run but with the smaller squares to prevent escape.

C&C cages are excellent for home use esp. if you find shop cages too small.
    They are also handy in an emergency they can be stored easily and assembled quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Cages for rabbits.. you musn't have much experience with rabbits as they need to have a wire floor or else they dig out but the wire needs to be covered to prevent sore hocks. Have a look at this link http://fuzzy-rabbit.com/room.htm

If you have a look at guineapigrescues site you will see they do make good cages and have been used to make cages for a long time..they make excellent cages IMO

Anyways, you don't have to make them with a wire floor, the whole point is to design yourself

I wouldn't use a cage made from these outside - even with cable ties to strengthen it it'd be at risk of collapsing if a dog or fox was determined to get in. If you want to build something outside then you're much better off getting a decent gauge wire, a nail gun and some 2x1. Rabbits chew cable ties too so it's really not a suitable cage build for anything but occasional indoor use. (Or piggies - piggies are a lot more laid back when it comes to things like this.)

And if it's inside then you don't need a wire floor.

For the piggies I used lino off cuts and also at one stage the base of a rabbit cage to put their bedding in and then they just pop out of that part into the rest of the cage. Can't be too high for piggys not graceful at landing lol.

Check out free ad papers for rabbit runs and on jumbletown etc sometimes you can get rabbit runs and then modify them they ones in the pet shops ie the timber ones are very expensive for the size of them.

I wouldn't use them for outdoors..I have a wooden hutch & a run outside..I want them for winter time when the buns move inside.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the B&Q tip..anyone know if there is one in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hadook wrote: »
    (Or piggies - piggies are a lot more laid back when it comes to things like this.)
    Sorry, but this had me in fits of giggles :D
    Thanks for the B&Q tip..anyone know if there is one in Limerick?

City East Retail Park
    Tipperary Road
    Limerick
    COUNTY LIMERICK

Phone: 00353 61422499
    Fax Number:00353 1 6299410
    Store Type: B&Q Mini Warehouse

Store Opening Hours:

Mon-Wed: 08:00-21:00
    Thursday: 08:00-21:00
    Friday: 08:00-21:00
    Saturday: 08:00-20:00
    Sunday: 10:00-18:00
    Bank Holidays: Normal Hours

Have been to the B&Q in Limerick and they didn't have them, but they may have them now prob. better off giving them a ring before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

If they don't have them in stock they should be able to order them. I ordered some in B&Q Cork for a guinea pig cage, but the adoption fell through so I returned them. If you're in Cork the ones I returned might still be there :)

Advertisement