Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Actual Real News:

FOX and TV3 have signed deal which allows TV3 to secure some TV shows and the latest 20th Century Fox film releases. It means Family Guy and American Idol will continue on 3e. It also means TV3 has first rights (in terms of terrertsial TV) to broadcast FOX films prior to other broadcasters.

Would it be possible for a link to that news please...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

Purchase The Sunday Times ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Basically a small article about the Six Pillars and Fox Studio news. I don't think they have anything else in that report.

http://irishmusicfeed.tumblr.com/post/95633121764/tv-tv3-group-to-launch-tv3-1-and-tv3hd-in-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It is a certainty from what I read from Dave McRedmond to say the ITV programmes he had for TV3 were loss making in advertising terms as they were all constant repeats all of the time.

Does he not realise that those repeats do not draw in a crop of new viewers as it does the opposite effect for the channel straight away as he has to get something new regularly to keep the viewership steady.

The main points of The Sunday Times Article (which seemed to have been missed in original post):

1. TV3 Partnership with Commincorp (i.e. utilize presenters)
    2. New Advertising Technology
    3. Increase homegrown programming (by 2015 50% schedule Irish produced)
    4. New channels within the next 24 months (In 2015: TV3+1, TV3HD, In 2016: 3e HD and one new additional channel.)
    5. The new channel for 2016 "could" have a pay tv element (this is separate to 3e).
    6. Wednesday August 27 - Press Conference
    7. 30 million euro investment in programming in 2015
    8. New shows include: Sitting on A Fortune, Googlebox, Xposé (extended by 30 minutes).
    9. New presenters
    10. New deal with FOX
    11. Rugby World Cup
    12. New schedule targets under 45s

The article states nothing about 3e becoming a pay channel but does state TV3's (supposed) new and yet unnamed channel in 2016 may become a pay channel.

• Advertisement

The article states nothing about 3e becoming a pay channel but does state TV3's (supposed) new and yet unnamed channel in 2016 may become a pay channel.

I agree the article doesn't suggest that 3E will become a pay TV channel, and they seem to suggest another channel in 2016. I don't think that will come to fruition TBH. But wednesday will tell us all, hopefully.

Elmo wrote: »
    I agree the article doesn't suggest that 3E will become a pay TV channel, and they seem to suggest another channel in 2016. I don't think that will come to fruition TBH. But wednesday will tell us all, hopefully.

I totally agree with you... but unless suggested 3e will continue to air as is on Saorview... 3e is expected to be revamped in November or thereabouts and continue as a non-pay tv channel.... A new channel in 2016 is a huge step for TV3 Group... I do remember TV3 speculating it would launch a female skewed channel called 3xpose and a combined kids and classic tv channel TV3 Kids and TV3 Classics these never came to fruition and somehow I doubt a new channel will arrive in 2016.

I totally agree with you... but unless suggested 3e will continue to air as is on Saorview... 3e is expected to be revamped in November or thereabouts and continue as a non-pay tv channel.... A new channel in 2016 is a huge step for TV3 Group... I do remember TV3 speculating it would launch a female skewed channel called 3xpose and a combined kids and classic tv channel TV3 Kids and TV3 Classics these never came to fruition and somehow I doubt a new channel will arrive in 2016.

They should have been launching new channels years ago. I'm afraid they've missed the boat at this stage. We'll see what they have to say for themselves next Wednesday, but I wouldn't be that hopeful.

3e relaunch in November will be interesting.

I will say this, if they change the way they've been doing things and embrace change over the next 12 months they have a chance. However, going on past performance by TV3 it's likely that they won't be around in their current form by the time 2015 comes to a close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

8. New shows include: Sitting on A Fortune

Tv3 should enter this themselves

In today's Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/tv3-to-offer-deals-with-communicorp-1.1906618

Mostly what has already been on the Sunday Papers. I do find it Cheeky that they're calling UTV a foreign company when their own Irishness is in question. Plus I also love that it's mostly spin.
    "They're talking about" is a common TV3 Phrase. They were also Taking about various new channels years ago and promising HD as early as 2006. They now look desperate and Communicorp look
    like they're the only ones that might buy them long term. However, it does explain the ridiculous positive stories in the independent over the last few weeks and months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

In today's Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/tv3-to-offer-deals-with-communicorp-1.1906618

Mostly what has already been on the Sunday Papers. I do find it Cheeky that they're calling UTV a foreign company when their own Irishness is in question. Plus I also love that it's mostly spin.
    "They're talking about" is a common TV3 Phrase. They were also Taking about various new channels years ago and promising HD as early as 2006. They now look desperate and Communicorp look
    like they're the only ones that might buy them long term. However, it does explain the ridiculous positive stories in the independent over the last few weeks and months.

Except that Pat wont be part of the deal......

You'd wonder why TV3 had such a big Sales Department when Setanta take care of sales. I would say TV3 are just going to have Communicorp as their sales house, maybe get them to also provide news on TV3.

You'd wonder why TV3 had such a big Sales Department when Setanta take care of sales. I would say TV3 are just going to have Communicorp as their sales house, maybe get them to also provide news on TV3.

I would assume News is almost certain if this goes ahead, perhaps not until Next year but eventually. Sales is also likely as UTV appear to have a real winner on their hands with the simple one stop shop for TV/Radio Advertising. However have we heard anything yet from Communicorp about this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

However have we heard anything yet from Communicorp about this?

We have heard from the Indo.

We have heard from the Indo.

Well call me old fashioned but until I see an actual statement from both TV3 and Communicorp I'm not happy. A piece was in the Irish Times today and everyone is running with that. There doesn't seem to be any actual official announcement yet.

So you get Newspapers, and Blogs from the supposedly decent to the nutcases running with the story.

This isn't actually a dig at TV3 or Communicorp, it's a dig at the state of Journalism in Ireland today.

This isn't actually a dig at TV3 or Communicorp, it's a dig at the state of Journalism in Ireland today.

Journalism on broadcasting has lead me to believe that few journalist can or want to ask hard questions.

Though I doubt TV3 would announce a deal with communicorp before the ink hasn't dried.

Journalism on broadcasting has lead me to believe that few journalist can or want to ask hard questions.

Though I doubt TV3 would announce a deal with communicorp before the ink hasn't dried.

That's just it, I'm not sure what TV3 have actually said, some comments are made and journalists just give it their own spin. We do know they're in talks and probably have agreed to something but TV3 have been in talks before and basically announced ahead of time that it's a done deal. This has worked sometimes, other times it has not...

It was widely reported in the Media last week that Gay Byrne had made various comments. In the Mirror the headline was
    Gay Byrne: UTV coming to Ireland could signal the end for TV3

Meanwhile in the Indo it was

'I don't know why they are coming to the Republic' - Gaybo on UTV

Now it was at the same event and it seemed to be the same quotes. When you actually read the piece he just seems to say stuff off the top of his head but he never appeared to say TV3 were finished and the Coming to the Republic quote is out of Context.

That's why I prefer actual announcements from the Companies rather than the spin that Newspapers and Websites put on the story.

Of course when they're getting this stuff wrong, why do we think they get other things right?

Links:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/i-dont-know-why-they-are-coming-to-the-republic-gaybo-on-utv-30525325.html

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/arts-culture-news/gay-byrne-utv-coming-ireland-4080393

Sorry about size icdg. Computer issues, was not intended.

Not sure if this was mention here on in the UTV thread but the smaller RTÉ News set.

Bv6nJ1RCEAAYNRl.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That's nice, but nothing to do with TV3...

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    That's nice, but nothing to do with TV3...

Indeed but I think someone mention RTÉ News' summer hols here or in the UTV thread. Prob the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Looking forward to seeing what TV3 have in store for Anton Savage. What with him leaving Ireland AM, it may be tough to see where he would fit in around the schedule at the moment. Might wait till January and go into the evening show they have planned

Ray Foley is back on TV3 with the algorithm. Be interesting what kind of show this would be. If they're getting Ray in, it must be a more of a fun quiz, compared the more serious ones like The Lie.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing what TV3 have in store for Anton Savage. What with him leaving Ireland AM, it may be tough to see where he would fit in around the schedule at the moment.

Yes indeed it is so hard to see where he would fit in around the schedule, God knows how many ITV repeats would have to be cancelled.

Yes indeed it is so hard to see where he would fit in around the schedule, God knows how many ITV repeats would have to be cancelled.

Well they will have Xpose going from 6-7, and mainly soaps running from 7-9 until January. I would have thought that a daily evening news/current affairs show would have been better for him (similar to what he had with Ireland AM from 7-8am), unless they go down the chat show route and place him after 9.

Well they will have Xpose going from 6-7, and mainly soaps running from 7-9 until January. I would have thought that a daily evening news/current affairs show would have been better for him (similar to what he had with Ireland AM from 7-8am), unless they go down the chat show route and place him after 9.

Monday to Friday they could slot him in

8.00-8.30 Monday to Friday (Excluding Tuesdays with Champions league)
    9.00- 11.00 Monday to Friday (Excluding Tuesdays with Champions league)
    Anytime Saturday, expect when X factor is on.
    Anytime Sunday, Except when X factor is on.

That 7-8am show might have been good (Probably was as he's a decent broadcaster) However, there were so few watching who'd know.

Monday to Friday they could slot him in

It might just be once a week. Though I'd be surprised if he just gets a week in review type show, or he might just be fronting their new Docs arm.

18:00 Xposé
    19:00 Quiz Shows (The Lie etc)
    19:30 The 7:30 with Cybill and Micheal (Imaginative aren't I)
    20:00 Red Rock & Other Dramas
    20:30 The 8:30 with Anton (Trés Imaginative Non!)
    21:00 As TV3 Now
    23:00 Tonight with VB

It might just be once a week. Though I'd be surprised if he just gets a week in review type show, or he might just be fronting their new Docs arm.

18:00 Xposé
    19:00 Quiz Shows (The Lie etc)
    19:30 The 7:30 with Cybill and Micheal (Imaginative aren't I)
    20:00 Red Rock & Other Dramas
    20:30 The 8:30 with Anton (Trés Imaginative Non!)
    21:00 As TV3 Now
    23:00 Tonight with VB

Actually the time he'd be most likely to go on would be 7 so all studio productions would be finished (with the exception of Vincent) by 8. Also the Quiz Shows would have to go out at 8 because Fair City is on at that time.
    So Red Rock at 8.30. Plus I will say that if he was presenting A hard news show at 7 he'd really only be up against Channel 4 news. So it could be a ratings winner (in a TV3 sense)

I think 7 would be good too - plus it also allows it to not be interrupted by CL at 7.30.

5:30 The 5:30
    6:00 Xpose
    7:00 Savage TV
    7:30 The Seven Thirty Show With Cybil (Tue - Champions League)
    8:00 Temple Street/CL/Animal A&E/The Lie/Crossfire
    8:30 Neville/CL/Red Rock/Red Rock/Nothing To Declare
    9:00 Irish TV Shows
    10:00 Best Of the Rest - Dallas/Wentworth Prison/Law And Order SVU/Broadchurch ...
    11:00 Tonight With VB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

I think they Should move the tonight with vb show back an hour to 10pm

• Advertisement

7:00 Savage TV
    7:30 The Seven Thirty Show With Cybil (Tue - Champions League)

Ah see your much more creative than I, If only I had put the word Show at the end :pac: Bet those are the titles given tomorrow :)

We forget that Champions League might only have a few months left on TV3.

Advertisement